Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ec-1.jpeg
Screenshot_2015-02-21-12-55-36.png
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_0037.PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PsychoPsonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 9 years ago

I started playing virtual pinball with Atari's "video pinball" console and the coin-op game in the 70s, and went on from there to the Atari 2600 cartridge, Bill Budge's Pinball Construction Set, Various Commodore 64 pinball programs, Pinball Dreams and Fantasies on the Commodore Amiga, the Pro Pinball series on various platforms, etc.., etc.... Today I have a collection of 2100+ visual and future pinball tables, and all of the Zen and Pinball Arcade tables on my PC.

Decades ago my love for pinball far exceeded my access to it. Video simulations were my best and often only option to play the game I loved. It wasn't until 2006 that I bought my first pin, and when I powered up STTNG that Christmas morning my wife and son didn't understand why I was so emotional about finally having a real coin-op pinball machine in my home--but it was the realization of a dream and a wish held fervently for more than 30 years, starting as a small child.

Today there are two primary reasons why I continue to play virtually despite having a small collection of physical machines--learning rules is by far the biggest reason, and the second, more minor one is improved audio (nice speakers and subwoofer). Additionally, I love being able to experience the original ROMs via PinMAME, and to marvel at what really talented folks like Russell Speak do to improve and extend classics using Future Pinball, with better audio, added LCD-like video clips, etc.

Of course it's not the same for many reasons, starting with the programmatic physics, 2D presentation, interface (keyboard/x360 pad), etc.--but it offers endless variety that nothing short of an almost unlimited amount of money/contacts/time machine to acquire and floor space could provide. It's the closest I can come to enjoying something of course I'd rather experience as originally designed, but despite the inherent limitations of virtual pinball, I appreciate it for what it is.

Congratulations to Farsight for all they did to make virtual TAF happen despite all the licensing hurdles--a very major accomplishment indeed.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Playing TPA in Portrait mode is really transformative. Once you try it, it hard to go back to Landscape mode.

Completely agree! It's a minor hassle to rotate your monitor and change configuration settings, but totally worth it.

Cannot wait for Timeshock on Steam! If you have an iOS tablet, definitely check it out. Physics are a step and a half past TPA, and the pre-rendered approach makes it look phenomenal--far better than TPA on Steam, which looks previous-gen by comparison.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PsychoPsonic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adams-family-now-on-pinball-arcade?tu=PsychoPsonic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.