Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

remake (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Has this already been discussed? Saw the advertisement for the animated Adams Family Movie and with all the great Chicago Gaming remakes wondered about this. I had read that there were issues with the movie rights and remaking the original pinball - but what about this? Same game - just modernized and with new art and sounds?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #2 4 years ago

I doubt it will ever me remade due to licensing. All remakes so far have been original themes and I think that's partially due to avoid licensing costs.

Update: Monster Bash is a licensed theme, will be interesting to see if a remake is done that require actor licenses.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I doubt it will ever me remade due to licensing. All remakes so far have been original themes and I think that's partially due to avoid licensing costs.

Monster Bash required the Universal license.

#4 4 years ago

Why remake an Addams Family? Over 20,000 of them were made. It is still an easy game to find if your looking to buy.

#5 4 years ago

Take a look at the details released by the pinball arcade when they tried to get all the licensing for the digital table. They were unable to obtain Christopher Lloyd (since his license was expensive), and Jimmy Workman (Pugsley) since he's out of the acting business.

Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Why remake an Addams Family? Over 20,000 of them were made. It is still an easy game to find if your looking to buy.

It took me about 4 years to find one that wasn't crazy expensive or completely beat. It wasn't *that* easy to find one.

Even though it's still a popular game, I don't think it's at the price point where it would be considered profitable to remake since used ones would drastically undercut the retail price, plus the licensing issues/costs could be an issue.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tommy-dog:

If by easy to find you mean several grossly over priced .... yeah you're right.

#7 4 years ago

I would imagine not going to be remade anytime soon if at all and why I just bought one. You'll see TOM and/or TOTAN well before TAF.

#8 4 years ago

That animated film remake looks horrible.

#9 4 years ago

Considering everything about it looks terrible.... No

#10 4 years ago

I’d lean toward it being a possibility at some point in the future, but it won’t be the next remake.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Take a look at the details released by the pinball arcade when they tried to get all the licensing for the digital table.

I looked around, but this was all I could find. Do you have a link? It sounds like an interesting read.

Talking to Bobby King today, Head Designer for the Pinball Arcade pinball simulation game, I discovered why no-one had done this before.

"For me it was a huge personal challenge. I was told by several people in licensing that it would be impossible to get the rights required to produce the table. Raul Julia's likeness and voice-over talent reverted to his estate. Then there is The Addams Family foundation, Paramount pictures who own the movie content and then you have the music license and of course not forgetting the seven different actors. It's been three years in the making to even arrive at amount of money we'd need to pay." In this case the total came to $101,000."

#12 4 years ago

What's funny is I've never seen an Adams Family show, movie, cartoon, et al.
    The theme wouldn't get me, the game layout would.
    Call it "Guards Family"

#13 4 years ago

NO!! PS: The movie looks like shit!!

#14 4 years ago

I don't need anymore TAFs in the world and certainly not looking like this garbage.

#15 4 years ago

They have at least 3 remakes left (i think they are doing 7 and assuming 4 is CC). I think TAF will be remade at some point. What other games are viable options? TOM, TOTAN, BBB, TAF, TZ. Out of these 5 I would take NIB TAF then TZ. TOM got boring after 2 weeks for me (can still be bought in the $5k range), TOTAN is a snoozer for me but prices still rising for this one , I have never had any interest in BBB, but from a $$ perspective I see why BBB would be remade.

I don't think a remake with this crappy cartoon art would fly.

1 week later
    #16 4 years ago

Come on Addams! Tired of beater Addams machines and I don't make enough for a HEP.

#17 4 years ago

Have Stern build it, they can turn any hit into a turd. Just look at The Munsters.

#18 4 years ago

TAF with better audio would certainly be very nice to get!

#19 4 years ago

If they remade Addams family it would sell I think. Still by far the most requested location game. Close second is attack from Mars.

#20 4 years ago

Pinsiders just don't get it. TAF was the #1 selling pin for a reason. The public wants it. If they remake it. It would be their top selling remake hands down. People want shiny new games not average condition second hand games. Even if they have to pay thousands more. Most non-pinheads would rather call up a dealer and have a game delivered to their door then have to go pick up a second hand game with NO warranty. Yeah, yeah I know. their warranty isn't that great but at least it gives the public buyers a little peace of mind. I'll take an LE myself.

#21 4 years ago

Easy solution to a remake....
    No characters on playfield or backglass.
    In name only it can be done.
    Whos willing to give up current art package?
    But, you can always buy an cpr glass or translite.
    See easy.....Just do it now.
    More free advice.....you guys should really pay me sometimes.

#22 4 years ago

I’m in on a remake. Too many games with burned playfields for 5-6k$

#23 4 years ago

Why does it have to be a remake? Why not make a new game based on the TV series? The licensing would be less and a lot of the same concepts could be used since they came from the TV series anyway. A remake would be a least 10K. I'd rather have a 5K "beater" of the old game than pay 10K for a remake of the same game.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from dpannell:

Why does it have to be a remake? Why not make a new game based on the TV series? The licensing would be less and a lot of the same concepts could be used since they came from the TV series anyway. A remake would be a least 10K. I'd rather have a 5K "beater" of the old game than pay 10K for a remake of the same game.

My wife said use original cast from the B&W original tv series. There all dead and have to be cheap.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

There all dead and have to be cheap.

Just a note: I know that John Astin (the TV show Gomez) is still alive. He's 89.

#26 4 years ago

There is a market for the remake, but if its "reskinned" with the animated series.....it would be awful.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

My wife said use original cast from the B&W original tv series. There all dead and have to be cheap.

Just because they are dead does not mean it would be cheap. They would still need the license it from the family/estate, and it all depends on how willing they are to cooperate. They might allow it for a song and a dance, or they might decide that allowing those rights to be used would be disrespectful and not allow it for any price.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rum-Z:

Just a note: I know that John Astin (the TV show Gomez) is still alive. He's 89.

Damn, hes Alive. Good for him.
    Never mind, pay him.

#29 4 years ago

A lot of call ideas but the known entity in the pinball world is the exact TAF you see on the street and in people's collections. I am sure something can be done concerning licensing. If the licenses is not very similar then I am not sure how it will sell/appeal etc. Not that I don't think that's an interesting idea but I know the nostalgia of this game lies in the look and the audio of the original. I also think this is one of the best integrations of theme into a pinball. The real reason the game is so popular is because every single human being that walked the earth in the early to mid 90's encountered this machine at some point. Everyone that was slightly around coin op can name a few locations that had an Addams.

#30 4 years ago

I was driving bus for CC county in the 90s when our union put a TAF and a FH in our drivers room for the protection drivers!! They were instant hits,and we began having contests! I picked up second place in that one and now have a TAFG in my collection thats not going anywhere!

#31 4 years ago

Planetary Pinball stated that given the release quantity of the original TAF, it would be hard to justify a remake. That was stated a couple of years ago...I am hoping for IJr.

#32 4 years ago

Indiana Jones or TAFr make the most sense if they can get the licenses. Great examples of these games sell for close to $10K, and are not easy to find....if CGC can't sell an LE model of the game for $8K+ why would they build the game...IJ and TAF already have market brand, and are regarded as great games (just like MM, MB, and AFM). In my opinion all the others come with market risk

#33 4 years ago

Yes a massive quantity was made. How many are still alive? No idea. 15,000?
    How often is this title for sale in your area? In mine MAYBE a couple times a year and the price tag is ALWAYS ridiculous. I imagine the majority are sitting in personal collections now?
    Any license (other than from JK Rowling because shes a whack job) is obtainable. Cost effective is a whole nuther thing. I can't imagine IP would be an issue as it's already been done so the chances of someone saying no to making money for doing nothing I would have to imagine wouod be slim to none?

I find personally find TAF more fun than MM or AFM. TAF has also proven to be a stellar earner. However, not living in the past, I don't know/understand the new generation of pinballers. Do they even gravitate towards old titles or strictly into the new and trendy stuff?

#34 4 years ago

Like Willy Wonka and/or Munsters? ?

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from guard:

Like Willy Wonka and/or Munsters? ?

Let me clarify, old previously released titles not newly released.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

Yes a massive quantity was made. How many are still alive? No idea. 15,000?
    How often is this title for sale in your area? In mine MAYBE a couple times a year and the price tag is ALWAYS ridiculous. I imagine the majority are sitting in personal collections now?
    Any license (other than from JK Rowling because shes a whack job) is obtainable. Cost effective is a whole nuther thing. I can't imagine IP would be an issue as it's already been done so the chances of someone saying no to making money for doing nothing I would have to imagine wouod be slim to none?
    I find personally find TAF more fun than MM or AFM. TAF has also proven to be a stellar earner. However, not living in the past, I don't know/understand the new generation of pinballers. Do they even gravitate towards old titles or strictly into the new and trendy stuff?

IJ clearly appeals to a wider demographic....most adults remember the movies (and enjoyed), and the kids still enjoy watching them....TAF was a TV show that basically appeals to 50+ year olds...IJ would have a much wider audience...either title would be a successful remake, but IJ would be a home run....if they could figure out the licensing they could easily sell the title for $8500

#37 4 years ago

Fuck these remakes. I'm tired of them. I thought after selling my AFM I would pick one up, but there's something about them that turns me off. They just don't feel quite the same.

They've done nothing good for the hobby except suck the special out of the collectability and excitement of searching or obtaining one.

Example:

You got a Medieval Madness? Congrats, no one gives a F anymore.

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

LOL, you're not wrong.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

IJ clearly appeals to a wider demographic....most adults remember the movies (and enjoyed), and the kids still enjoy watching them....TAF was a TV show that basically appeals to 50+ year olds...IJ would have a much wider audience...either title would be a successful remake, but IJ would be a home run....if they could figure out the licensing they could easily sell the title for $8500

When I've brought a lineup of games to the Saratoga show, which included a few WPC games along with IJ, it's been the most popular out of pretty much all the other WPC games. Not only is it a good game, it's good, widely-recognized theme. I sometimes catch people walking away humming the main theme, lol

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

If a hobby for you is based on what others think about your stuff, that’s sad. You know who cares about me having a MMr? Me. Cuz I’m the one playing it. Anyone else’s opinion of what I own and enjoy is irrelevant.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

If a hobby for you is based on what others think about your stuff, that’s sad. You know who cares about me having a MMr? Me. Cuz I’m the one playing it. Anyone else’s opinion of what I own and enjoy is irrelevant.

Get over yourself, you know what I meant. I don't care what people think of my collection, it's the other way around. No collector wants their shit spammed/copied so every run of the mill hobbiest can pick one up. Stop acting like collectability wasn't effected by remakes.

Remake or original they both are worth owning for most. But now there's simply nothing special about them anymore.

Example #2:

Pinball Show ~2012 - Awe man someone brought a nice MM to the game hall, let's check it out

Pinball Show ~2019 - CGC has a few MM's in their booth, big deal ?

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Get over yourself, you know what I meant. I don't care what people think of my collection, it's the other way around. No collector wants their shit spammed/copied so every run of the mill hobbiest can pick one up. Stop acting like collectability wasn't effected by remakes.
    Remake or original they both are worth owning for most. But now there's simply nothing special about them anymore.
    Example #2:
    Pinball Show ~2012 - Awe man someone brought a nice MM to the game hall, let's check it out

I can see your point, but CGC did a great job with these remakes....

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

Example #2:

The more people that have a chance to experience MM or TAF either original or remake the better. Doesn't make the game any less exciting just because it's more common. Why would your enjoyment of this title decrease if it was in more collections? Collect for fun not cash dude

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

No collector wants their shit spammed/copied so every run of the mill hobbiest can pick one up. Stop acting like collectability wasn't effected by remakes.

Aww, how cute. You don't get to brag about being the only one in your town with a MM any more.
    No one cares. We're all having fun playing our remakes.
    Remake LE 1,2,3 and what ever 4 is. It will be next in the line.

remake (resized).jpgremake (resized).jpg
    #45 4 years ago
    Quoted from TomN:

The more people that have a chance to experience MM or TAF either original or remake the better. Doesn't make the game any less exciting just because it's more common. Why would your enjoyment of this title decrease if it was in more collections? Collect for fun not cash dude

I never said anything about not enjoying the games themselves, or anything about cash, or bragging. The point is the games are just not as special to see anymore, whether it's in collections, at shows, or on route.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I never said anything about not enjoying the games themselves, or anything about cash, or bragging. The point is the games are just not as special to see anymore, whether it's in collections, at shows, or on route.

They made thousands of MM, MB, and AFM so even before the remakes none were very special....whats special is maybe seeing an original one thats in incredible shape (I had a MM that was like new), but those are rarely at shows....I get that a lot of "purists" are pissed off that the remakes drove down the ridiculous pricing on these titles (for ones is crappy shape)....not sure any games are that special to see....well maybe CC, BBB, or BL?

3 weeks later
    #47 4 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

They made thousands of MM, MB, and AFM so even before the remakes none were very special...

Not really - by 90’s standards they were pretty low production- all around 3-4000.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

They have at least 3 remakes left (i think they are doing 7 and assuming 4 is CC). I think TAF will be remade at some point. What other games are viable options? TOM, TOTAN, BBB, TAF, TZ. Out of these 5 I would take NIB TAF then TZ. TOM got boring after 2 weeks for me (can still be bought in the $5k range), TOTAN is a snoozer for me but prices still rising for this one , I have never had any interest in BBB, but from a $$ perspective I see why BBB would be remade.
    I don't think a remake with this crappy cartoon art would fly.

u forget cirqus voltaire, worth more than tom and much harder to find. also alien pinball rumour, that they will make. if they do it would be hard pressed for me to say no to that game. .

there has also been talks of them doing 2.0 of certain games when they started out, like say a funhouse with updated rules and a color dmd display.

i dont see addams family being a smart choice. too many of them. license could be costly like uve seen how pinball arcade had a hard time. but who knows maybe people will pay for a brand new one with nicer dots and some other bells and whistles?

u can maybe throw scared stiff into the mix for possible remakes?

#49 4 years ago

Everyone I talk to in and out of the hobby asks about addams family. Every time I find one on location I have to wait to play it. Every time I see one for sale (rarely) it is beat up and 6500$....

Remake it, its going to earn on location and it’s going to sell to collectors no problem

5 months later
    #50 4 years ago

I just heard from a good source that Addams Family is the next remake ???

Anyone else hear this ?

There are 57 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adams-family-2019-remake?hl=mrg50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.