Topic poll

“Actually: Metallica PRO or Premium?”

• Met premium 82 votes
    43%
  • Met pro + twilight 108 votes
    57%

(190 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3840 (resized).jpg
IMG_3838 (resized).jpg
MET_captured_ball (resized).jpg
IMG_7608 (resized).JPG

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballprincess:

I personally adore the toys on the Premium (that Hammer of Justice and the Coffin ball lock are just so cool!), but the two play more or less the same. Metallica is not only a game I enjoy but a dream theme of mine; if you're not dead-set on getting the extra coolness of the Premium, the Pro plays just fine, and, in fact, plays more or less the same. In that case, the Pro is sufficient.

Nuh-uh. For one, the snake having a jaw that closes on the Premium prevents balls from being spit back at you non-stop in multiball like on the pro.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Of course. Vintage Pro or Premium HUO used will be better than the current playfields/cabinets Stern is messing up. But a Pro Metallica is a lesser Metallica. We've had both and the Premium is the better overall experience. Pro got sold in just a few months.

Vintage is 2013-2014, correct?

So you think Premium really worth the extra? Even if I install time bandit mods and others cool mods available?
Just notice that in France the gap price is between 2000-2500€.

Thanks

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Vintage is 2013-2014, correct?
So you think Premium really worth the extra? Even if I install time bandit mods and others cool mods available?
Just notice that in France the gap price is between 2000-2500€.
Thanks

The Met Premium is the better experience overall. You can mod a pro, but it will never be up to the level of a Premium. The light show is better, the snake jaw closing and opening is a big improvement, then you have the hammer, the interactive coffin, and the raising/lowering cross. I personally like the translite better, too.

See if you can play one to compare for yourself...

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

The Met Premium is the better experience overall. You can mod a pro, but it will never be up to the level of a Premium. The light show is better, the snake jaw closing and opening is a big improvement, then you have the hammer, the interactive coffin, and the raising/lowering cross. I personally like the translite better, too.
See if you can play one to compare for yourself...

Yep,,,,, the pro V locks the ball every time, while the premium cant catch the ball and phantom swings.

Aaaaah swing and a miss.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Yep,,,,, the pro V locks the ball every time, while the premium cant catch the ball and phantom swings.
Aaaaah swing and a miss.

If that's your experience, your machine needs adjustment, something is wrong. In the beginning, I had to go through 3 magnet boards, a coil, and finally a CPU board (under warranty) to get the magnet lock working right, but it does now. Sounds like yours needs more attention.

#56 1 year ago

If you are about playing, Pro all day. To me, it's the better player period.

If you're about what is the coolest to look at, the lights are better on the Premium.

I like playing my games and don't care so much about the bells and whistles unless they improve GamePlay.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from goatdan:

If you are about playing, Pro all day. To me, it's the better player period.
If you're about what is the coolest to look at, the lights are better on the Premium.
I like playing my games and don't care so much about the bells and whistles unless they improve GamePlay.

The Premium snake jaw closing absolutely improves gameplay, especially in multiball.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

The Premium snake jaw closing absolutely improves gameplay, especially in multiball.

I disagree entirely. I'm all about speed when I at a game. The snake jaw closing just serves to slow the game down further as does the hammer.

#59 1 year ago

I labored over this decision a year ago and decided to spend the extra and get the premium. SOOOO glad I did. I haven;t looked back since. Money WELL spent and the game is AMAZING!!!!

Do yourself a favor and buy a ColorDMD, Shaker Motor, External Sub upgrade and quality external Subwoofer immediately before you get your machine so you can install the moment you get your machine.

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#60 1 year ago

I personally owned both an LE first and now a pro. Prem/LE has some neat features but the pro has MUCH better game play

My pro won't be leaving any time soon

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I personally owned both an LE first and now a pro. Prem/LE has some neat features but the pro has MUCH better game play
My pro won't be leaving any time soon

I did this too. I don't care what anyone does. Buy what you like, but as a data point, I had LE, now have pro.

#62 1 year ago

I played a Premium exclusively for about a year before experiencing a Pro.

They are both great, but the difference when I played the Pro felt immediately more exciting and energetic. I prefer the Pro.

I also thought the playfield without the hammer both played and looked better. I did add the premium lighting kit, though.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I did this too. I don't care what anyone does. Buy what you like, but as a data point, I had LE, now have pro.

I would be pleased to know why exactly.
How a pro would play better or premium less than pro? What does the snake jaw closing exactly?
Can I buy this lighting show mod for a pro led? How lock works on pro? Can the cross rise on pro? With mod?
Is there a factory shaker on premium?
I would like to check what would be the final price if I go with pro led that I upgrade close to premium with some mods.

I have to take this decision today.
Price gap is 2500€.

Thanks

#64 1 year ago

How a pro would play better or premium less than pro? What does the snake jaw closing exactly?
Can I buy this lighting show mod for a pro led? How lock works on pro? Can the cross rise on pro? With mod?
I would like to check what would be the final price if I go with pro led that I upgrade close to premium with some mods.
Price gap is 2500€.
Thanks

www.redshiftled.com.au

#65 1 year ago

Price gap is 2500€.
Thanks

You have to get time on both as we did to realize the PRO plays better. You can buy lighting.... the cross does not rise which I personally can care less about a cross that comes up 3/4 inch

No shaker, available on either but cost and extra 100 dollars.

If you need all the " flare " then just go with the premium, if your looking for almost the same game with the better game play and cash in your pocket buy the PRO. Expect to put at least 500 in mods on Pro and even premium.

I have LEs, Premium's, and Pro's and on this game it 100% pro for me.

#66 1 year ago

Your cross rising software is for premium, correct?

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

You have to get time on both as we did to realize the PRO plays better. You can buy lighting.... the cross does not rise which I personally can care less about a cross that comes up 3/4 inch
No shaker, available on either but cost and extra 100 dollars.
If you need all the " flare " then just go with the premium, if your looking for almost the same game with the better game play and cash in your pocket buy the PRO. Expect to put at least 500 in mods on Pro and even premium.
I have LEs, Premium's, and Pro's and on this game it 100% pro for me.

The Premium looks better but the hammer seems to be too much big and so needs to spend money on mod!
Can you just explain me how works lock system on the pro? The balls are not physically locked I guess, correct?
How the pro plays better for you? It plays faster coz less stops ( physical lock)..
What is the difference with the coffin and the snake jaw? I can't see clearly what the rising system does play different with pro.

#68 1 year ago

Your cross rising software is for premium, correct?

Pro, but you have to source a cross mechanism. I have a mech in development, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Pro, but you have to source a cross mechanism. I have a mech in development, but don't hold your breath waiting for it.

Ok. No need to drill or anything else the pf?

#70 1 year ago

Ok. No need to drill or anything else the pf?

Underside holes of the cross mech do not line up with the holes for the pro cross. Some minor drilling required, underside only.

#71 1 year ago

I had extensive time on the Pro before I ever played a single game on the Premium. Both games play great, but I decided to buy a lightly used Premium and I have zero regrets. This game is truly a masterpiece and it's as good as any of the top tier games out there. It also helps that I'm a fan of the band and their music.

There are so many advantages to the Premium, but most of them are cosmetic. The translight on the Pro is decent, but I like the artwork on the Premium better. The light show, spinners, and hammer lock are also HUGE pluses for going the Premium route. The rising cross and upgraded snake jaw don't make a huge difference, but they're a nice bonus. Yes, the hammer does require a bit of tweaking, but it's a thing of beauty when it pounds the ball thru the playfield and into the coffin. This can't be replicated on the Pro.

The spinners that are missing on the Pro were also big deal to me. Sure, you can add aftermarket spinners with cool sound effects, but they're not tied into the scoring. All in all, the Pro is a great machine and gives you 90% of the experience. However, it was well worth every penny to me to get the better machine.

#72 1 year ago

How works lock system on pro please? Just wanna get the difference with premium.
Thanks

#73 1 year ago

There is no physical lock. They light in the coffin with all the sounds

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

There is no physical lock. They light in the coffin with all the sounds

You need to hit several times the newton ball to lock ball?

#75 1 year ago

Yep just like the prem.. The it has a call out to lock ball by hitting it again.

#76 1 year ago

I hear sooooo many people including my friends that have a prem tell me how great the hammer lock works... 100% of the time.

YEAH right... played many and have yet to see one that works so good that it would change my mind back to buying a LE/prem again.

#77 1 year ago

The problem is the price gap between pro and premium, this is 2500€-3000€.
That sounds crazy to me as I can upgrade the pro with the light show mod ( does it work as lightshow on Premium?), rising cross and 2-3 cool mods for 500-600€.

#78 1 year ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I hear sooooo many people including my friends that have a prem tell me how great the hammer lock works... 100% of the time.
YEAH right... played many and have yet to see one that works so good that it would change my mind back to buying a LE/prem again.

I don't think anything in pinball works 100%, at least in my experience. However, the hammer lock certainly adds a lot more to the game than it takes away IMHO. I have a later run Premium, so it's quite possible that many of the issues with the hammer were worked out before I bought the machine. Out of 100+ games I've put on the machine, I've only had it misfire 4 or 5 times. It's never not locked a ball is was supposed to lock.

If I had to buy the machine again, I would pay maybe $1000 more for added the features of the Premium. Anything higher than that, I would probably go with a Pro. Both are fantastic machines.

#80 1 year ago

I've owned both the premium and pro version of this game. Both were awesome, and a lot of fun to play so you really need to play both and see which game u like better. After about 6 months I decided that I enjoyed the Pro a little better. Why well for myself I liked the art work, but that was a secondary decision. For the extra money you will pay for the premium you can add color dmd, upgraded speakers, external sub, and invisiglass.....those upgrades IMHO far outweigh the hammer and coffin.

#81 1 year ago

Ask your self this. Have you ever seen a game that it's so close in opinion that the pro is as good as them Prem. That's says a lot

#82 1 year ago

Doesn't really matter because both versions have the same 'ramp to piston' 2 shot scoring which is all you need to shoot for. Builds to 5 Mill per combo, 10 Mill when 2x going. Why shoot anything else? Atleast Tron makes you hit 3 shots.

Not to mention you get free extra balls along the way for doing nothing but ramp to piston. Sorry, back to hammer lock vs spinners talk

#83 1 year ago

He is correct but NOT nearly as easy as it sounds. ... Not for a crappy player like myself anyway.

#84 1 year ago

Finally, Pro led ordered. I think premium does not worth 2500€ extra.
I will buy some mods like the lightshow mod and the cross mech and I guess I will be close to a premium.
Thanks to everyone s advise

#85 1 year ago

I will buy some mods like the lightshow mod and the cross mech and I guess I will be close to a premium.

Congratulations on your new purchase. You will enjoy the machine tremendously. I personally have a premium but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the pro. Be sure to post some pictures when you get it set up.

#86 1 year ago

Every time over the last few years I was set to buy or order a Metallica pin I hesitated because I then started thinking maybe I should get the other version. Result is I still don't have one. In general I see the pro/premium strategy as being a psychological barrier for me to buying a Stern pin.

Well, at least I get to see James, Lars, Kirk and Robert live for the first time next weekend.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Every time over the last few years I was set to buy or order a Metallica pin I hesitated because I then started thinking maybe I should get the other version. Result is I still don't have one. In general I see the pro/premium strategy as being a psychological barrier for me to buying a Stern pin.
Well, at least I get to see James, Lars, Kirk and Robert live for the first time next weekend.

To be honest, I don't like songs of the band (except nothing else matters)...so I will change most of them with placebo, linkin park etc. I did not want to prevent me to buy this one because of the soundtrack that I can change.

#88 1 year ago

To be honest, I don't like songs of the band (except nothing else matters)...so I will change most of them with placebo, linkin park etc. I did not want to prevent me to buy this one because of the soundtrack that I can change.

Honestly have you listened to their early albums?

To me I had mainly know 'the Black album', 'One' and 'Fade to Black' so at first I was only playing and listening to those songs which I didn't like that much.

After getting the pin I bought thir early albums and prefer those songs to their most 'popular' songs from Black Album.

As a result I love their music but admit some of the quit/acoustic music is not as good for upbeat rocking play.

#89 1 year ago

I've own both....if I had to choose it would be METLE....I like everything about it....but I do think the pro plays better....

#90 1 year ago

Can so tell me where to buy this rising cross mech except Marco Spec? The shipping cost is too pricey and From this store I would pay custom charge for sure.
Thanks for the help

#91 1 year ago

Can so tell me where to buy this rising cross mech except Marco Spec? The shipping cost is too pricey and From this store I would pay custom charge for sure.
Thanks for the help

That's the only place. And your distributor is unlikely to supply one unless you have a premium serial number, and it would probably be the same price. Very expensive, that's why I am trying to build a replacement, but I don't know when I'm going to finish it.

#92 1 year ago

Thanks for the help

Its not worth adding trust me..... Get the snake fangs, tongue and 3D mod. add spinners and tie in with left pic. eye ball decal for coffin, pinbits yellow protectors. White superbands with purple or blue rubber and make some custom cards ... If ya want the lighting buy time bandits kit. ( Im debating getting one myself )

#93 1 year ago

How work spinners? Can they be integrated in the gameplay ( with code modifications?)?
About the cross mech, can you just simulate a purchase till shipping and tell me what is the shipping cost within US?
What is 3D mod?
I already bought this lightshow mod.
Thanks

#94 1 year ago

Pingraffix

https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/metallica-3d-snake-mod-for-stern-pinball

When hooking to the left pick it add nice sound and very little points that hardly effects gameplay. With Timebandits its in game play

#95 1 year ago

How work spinners? Can they be integrated in the gameplay ( with code modifications?)?

The spinners cannot be integrated into the game code. The best you can do is get sound out of them. You can either alligator clip them to a pick target, which gives some sound, but also the errant scoring of collecting a bunch of pick targets on a spinner hit, or you can add the sound caller add-on to Total Lightshow, which gives smooth sound but no scoring.

#96 1 year ago

Which audio kit can you advise me? I've heard about a Polk psw110 as subwoofer, what about speakers?
Thanks

#97 1 year ago

I think stocks fine but many would disagree

#98 1 year ago

Yep no way spinners scoring can be added correctly on a Pro. It's complex enough most owners don't realize hitting 4 stand up pick targets light spinner for one shot at 110k per spin. Can build up to 220k per spin or something. Hidden Lyman stuff cool

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

Yep no way spinners scoring can be added correctly on a Pro. It's complex enough most owners don't realize hitting 4 stand up pick targets light spinner for one shot at 110k per spin. Can build up to 220k per spin or something. Hidden Lyman stuff cool

Isn't one CIU mode is a switch frenzy mode?

#100 1 year ago

Yes it is. But in addition to the CIU mode, was added a spinners feature to increase values during normal play. It's in the readme file but most people seem unaware (ie I never seen anyone shoot spinners on purpose despite 1 shot can equal 8 Mill with 2x scoring). Go figure

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Highland Park, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lagrangeville, NY
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 24.95
$ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside