(Topic ID: 63877)

Acquired my first game, a Gottlieb Mibs. Now I need help!

By Stringer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Alanis1050
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Mibs Gottlieb, 1969

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mibs_bank_relays.JPG
ballrack.jpg
srelay.jpg
sbrelay.jpg
scorereel.jpg
relaybank.jpg
outhole.jpg
scoremotor.jpg
ballreturnrelay.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So I've been on the lookout for my first game, and with my budget of essentially zero, I needed to be open minded. A local collector/operator graciously offered a somewhat-working Gottlieb Mibs for free since he had been gifted it a couple years ago and never had a chance to work on it. I read through all the Pin Repair guides and have been slowly learning how to read the schematics. Having essentially no mechanical repair experience beyond basic computer work, I'm diving in the deep end and hoping for the best.

So, the game powers up, and several relays continuously fire. The score motor keeps running, and the coin mech coil, outhole coil and ball return relay all continuously fire. There looks to be a mangled switch on the ball return relay:

ballreturnrelay.jpgballreturnrelay.jpg

Score motor:

scoremotor.jpgscoremotor.jpg

Outhole switch:

outhole.jpgouthole.jpg

Relay bank that looks to be hacked up. Looks like screws soldered in? Not even sure what I'm looking at.

relaybank.jpgrelaybank.jpg

#2 10 years ago

So the score reels weren't resetting so I pulled them and the thousands reel seems to have a switch broken off:

scorereel.jpgscorereel.jpg

The other three reels had another switch and looking at the base of this one it appears to have one that snapped off.

#3 10 years ago

Welcome to the world of em's Stringer.

What's nice is you can fix most of them for almost nothing as long as you start with a complete game.

Go to Clay's site:http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

Read as much as you can. Learn how relays, switches and contacts work and how to adjust contacts - that's a biggie. Especially 2d - stepper units, 2e stepper video, and 2g score reels. You seem to have resetting problems which generally are caused by score reels that are dirty and gummed up, and contacts that need cleaned and adjusted. Look for broken wires or anything unusual etc., along the way. The switch on the score reel you pointed out is a secondary problem and not that important - not worth fixing until you get all your other problems fixed. Stepper units that are gummed up with old lubricants that have dried and slowed down the stepper also need addressed. There's also a section on score motors which would be good to look at. It resets functions and a dirty/mis-adjusted set of contacts can cause resetting problems too. Your game won't work right unless all the steppers are cleaned and working properly.

This is a good start for you and you can give us an update as to how you're doing. Plenty of folks here willing to help.

#4 10 years ago

I went through all the stepper units today and cleaned the contacts. They were all moving freely except for the Credit stepper which was pretty gunked up and not advancing or resetting. I tried to pull the whole assembly out but there were a couple seized screws so I cleaned it up as good as I could. This did free it up, however, despite the warnings on shoulder bolts shearing, I sheared the pivot point bolt so it doesn't keep everything in place now. I'll have to add that to my order.

All the score reels seemed ok, but I will recheck everything. So far I haven't noticed any loose wires or anything overtly obvious that would be causing any issues. The score motor is still running and the same three relays are still firing continuously. Some of the contacts on the score motor switch stacks look pretty dirty so I'm going to go through and clean those next.

#5 10 years ago

Do you have a schematic? Pinball Resource will sell you a copy if you don't have one.

Clay's pinrepair guide should have a start-up sequence posted for your era of game. A start-up sequence tells you exactly what your game should do to complete the sequence and kick the 1st ball out to play. You need to follow the start-up sequence and refer to a schematic for best results. Once you know what step is not happening in start-up, you can isolate the problem by going to that area of the schematic.

Here's a link to a Pinside post with a you-tube video of score reels resetting on 1971 - 1977 games which may be similar to your Mibs even though it was made in 1969: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-1977-gottlieb-score-reel-reset-animationn

I can give you some common problems with start-up issues though: You'll have to determie which set of switches is your zero-position switch. There's 3 switches (except for the highest numbered score reel which will only have 2) - the zero position is open on 1-9 and closes at 0. That switch will either be in the center or the right side switch. One of the other switches gets signalled to score and the last switch on the left is always open except at 9 when it closes to tell the upstream score reel to close. All score reels have to have their zero position switches clean and adjusted to tell the score motor they're all reset. If not, the score motor will keep running forever. The best thing to do is take one score reel out of the game (except the one on your right) and manually depress the coil pluger to advance the score reel oe positio at a time. Check each score reel to see how they're set. That gives you an idea of what is right.

There's also switches on the score motor which reset the score reels at game start-up. These are located o the 1st level of score motor position no. 1. These switches are usually 1a, 2a, 3a, etc.. There's usally a card stapled to the side of the cabinet above the score motor tellig you position of switches and what they do.

I wouldn't clean and adjust any extra switches or contacts unless it's associated with your problem until you have done this for awhile. You may cause more problems than you started with.

Have fun

#6 10 years ago

Oops, that link is no good. Search Pinside EM hangout - Steve Fury (member) score reels - for that link

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for all the info. I feel like I'm slowly crossing things off the list. I found the start up sequence and I've been going through it.

1.Inserting a coin or pressing the coin door start button (Gottlieb calls this the "replay" button) activates the "S" (start) relay. The start relay will lock on from its own switch and a score motor switch.
2.The "S" relay will energize the main hold relay to illuminate the game (if this is the first game after power-on).
3.The "S" relay will start the score motor running.
4.The "S" relay and the score motor increment the total play meter.
5.The "SB" relay (the secondary start relay) is activated through the score motor. The "SB" relay energizes the reset relays ("Z1" and "Z2"). If a single or two player game, there may be only a "Z" relay.
6.The "Z2" relay will reset the player 3 and 4 score reels to zero through the score relays (4 player games only). The "Z1" or "Z" relay will reset the player 1 (and player 2 if present) score reels to zero through the score relays.
7.The "SB" relay resets the player unit through the score motor.
8.The "U" relay resets the reset bank (or Ax, Bx, relays on 1975 and later multi-player games and Ax on single players) through the score motor. It also resets the bonus unit or drop target banks (if the game has these).
9.On multi-player games, inserting more coins or pressing the coin door start button activates the "PBx" relay, through the score motor. The "x" represents the player number (from two to four).
10.If the ball is in the outhole, the "O" relay activates. The "O" relay, through the score motor and a switch on relay "XB", will kick the ball to the shooter lane. Note: the "O" relay will not activate unless the bonus unit (if the game has one) is reset to zero (there is a bonus unit zero position switch).
11.When the ball re-enters the outhole after game play, the "P" relay kicks the ball back to the shooter lane. Switches on the "XB", "ZB", "P" relays and some score motor switches advances the player unit (if present) and player relays ("PBx").

When I plug it in it doesn't start in Tilt mode, everything starts firing right away. Pressing the start button gives a buzz, the game is already illuminated, and adds a game to the total play meter. It kicks a ball into the shooter lane and advances to the next ball when it hits the outhole switch, but doesn't advance to game over. The score reels don't even try to reset, so I'm guessing the problem is with the score reels and reset relays. I'm going to look over the score reels post and see if I can figure anything out.

#8 10 years ago

Pulled the score reels and manually depressed the coil plungers. The first three moved ok, the thousands reel however wouldn't push back out at all. So I guess I'm going to take a stab at disassembling my first score reel tonight.

#9 10 years ago

That's how you learn - just jump right in. Usually cleaning your parts good and re-assembling will do the trick. Just remember how it goes back together and you're home free.

I just read your update and if it's adding credits when you start a game instead of subtracting credits (which is normal) there may be a problem in the circuitry tied to the knocker. When you start a game does the knocker switch close (at the bottom of the credit unit) and add a credit to the credit unit? - you can have someone else start a game while you're in the back of the head watching the bottom of your credit unit to see if that switch closes. If so, you probably have a normally open switch in that circuit causing that. That's where you'll need a schematic.

As far as not going to game over check your game over relay. That may be a trip relay on that era of game - I don't have a Mibs so I don't know.

#10 10 years ago

some useful videos on how to r&r decagon score reels...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-youtube-vid-for-decagon-score-reels

#11 10 years ago

I haven't read through all the fine posts in this thread in detail yet, but at quick glance, the outhole switch is bent too far over, and looks to be stuck behind the ball kicker arm, such that the switch will likely be closed. That will cause the game to continuously try and kick the ball out. That switch will need to be put in the right place and adjusted (it may just have slipped to the side and got bent/stuck like that).

#12 10 years ago

Oh, and on the score reel, that's not a broken switch, that's the end-of-stroke (EOS) switch for the coil there. When the coil pulls the plunger in, the little arm hits the lower switch, opening it up, which cuts off the power to the coil, and a spring pulls the plunger back (the reel advances one in the process). The top blade is shorter than the bottom blade so the little arm can pass by.

That switch should be normally closed though, and then open when the plunger is near the full stroke. Looks like it might be open currently, which will prevent the coil (and score reel) from working.

#13 10 years ago

Relay bank, score motor, ball return relay all look OK from the pictures, so not sure what you might be seeing there.

#14 10 years ago

Hi, Stringer,

Here's the thread where the guys helped me get my Mibs up and running. I can't recall what all is in it, but some of the advice/pics may help you. If there's anything you need, PM me and I will help as much as I can.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-gottlieb-mibs-startup-help

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Oh, and on the score reel, that's not a broken switch, that's the end-of-stroke (EOS) switch for the coil there. When the coil pulls the plunger in, the little arm hits the lower switch, opening it up, which cuts off the power to the coil, and a spring pulls the plunger back (the reel advances one in the process). The top blade is shorter than the bottom blade so the little arm can pass by.
That switch should be normally closed though, and then open when the plunger is near the full stroke. Looks like it might be open currently, which will prevent the coil (and score reel) from working.

I overlooked that - thanks dirtflipper. If he fixes that broken blade, that will help a lot.

#16 10 years ago

Mibs Schematics - hard to find original but I have one - $10 plus postage if anyone interested. Pm me. Thanks

Sorry for hi-jack!

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Stringer:

despite the warnings on shoulder bolts shearing, I sheared the pivot point bolt so it doesn't keep everything in place now.

Some good hardware stores carry them or Pbr has them too. > http://www.pbresource.com/news/gtb-a1058.jpg +

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I haven't read through all the fine posts in this thread in detail yet, but at quick glance, the outhole switch is bent too far over, and looks to be stuck behind the ball kicker arm, such that the switch will likely be closed. That will cause the game to continuously try and kick the ball out. That switch will need to be put in the right place and adjusted (it may just have slipped to the side and got bent/stuck like that).

That outhole switch has been forced out of position (stuck closed) hasn't it? I didn't catch that either.

#19 10 years ago

Check the trough switch. Sounds like it's stuck closed to me.

#20 10 years ago

Hi Stringer welcome to the forum. I have heard good things about the MIBS. PM me your email address if you need a schematic.

That's an end of stroke switch on your score reel. If you are wondering what an EOS switch is for, here is a thread and animation I made:
http://www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-an-end-of-stroke-switch-find-out-cool-animation

Here are links to a couple score reel animations I made. Both will be different from yours, but they all work basically the same and you might get a better idea about the theory of their function:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-score-reel-operation-animation
http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=299351&bbat=32588&inline&fullsize

There are also some videos you may find useful on my youtube page. Videos which explain flipper circuits, how to clean contacts and reset animation explanations on later model EM's (Among other things). Although the reset animations are different than your specific game, the Williams reset may give you an example of how schematics flow (in general) as an aid to follow your own:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury

When I first got my Spirit of 76 I had not worked on any coin op equipment in almost 40 years. I had lost a lot of my schematic reading skills (I used to be quite good at it). I scanned a copy of my original so I could make marks on it.
For example if I had a problem with startup I would find the start button first pulls in the AX relay, which has a large number of contacts which I found it REALLY hard to follow around the schematic.

So using the scan I'd start from the top of the schematic and work my way down on the scan and mark every contact I could find belonging to the AX relay. I found the Start relay pulls in so I'd mark all those contacts too.
That procedure was a bit tedious and time consuming but I was able to resolve a lot of issues myself and re-learn how the flow of schematic reading goes... and now I no longer need to go around marking things. I'm an old fuddy duddy and not as sharp as I used to be but a lot has come back because I did those tedious time consuming things.

#21 10 years ago

Ok so I've made some progress (maybe?) but still haven't gotten it to reset. I cleaned the thousands score reel and all the reels move pretty well now. I set the credit unit to free play (I think). I cleaned some contacts on relays I thought might be causing problems. I keep reading the schematics and am slowly tracking my way through it, although it's still a slog. I'm waiting to try and get a picture of how the trough switch is supposed to be aligned as I looked through tons of images of similar games and couldn't find any that showed it clearly. When I adjust it open, the ball return relay does not continuously fire upon powering up. Here's the current sequence:

1. Game immediately lights up (not in Tilt)
2. Score motor runs continuously
3. The coin door coil pulses and the horizontal bar slowly goes back and forth

The start button no longer has any effect. When I manually activate the S relay it drops the Mibs return in the backbox and continues in a cycle without doing anything else. All four of the score reels advance when I manually activate the relays. The switches should be set to zero position (may need photos to confirm this). I did flip up the reset bank and look everything over and slightly adjusted a few things. When I fired it up the next few times the big 120v solenoid was machine gunning as well as the other big solenoid for the relay bank in the top of the playfield. After I readjusted the reset bank it stopped doing it. Prior to this that reset bar solenoid had not fired once. Maybe a sign of a short somewhere? I also followed the wire from the start button to the SB relay and noticed it had a little plastic sleeve on it and it looked a bit off when I pulled it up:

sbrelay.jpgsbrelay.jpg

I also noticed this wire on the S relay was attached to two different switches:

srelay.jpgsrelay.jpg

Ball rack stepper has a little wire bundle taped up, any issues that may cause?

ballrack.jpgballrack.jpg

Since I started narrowing down the list of possible problems with the SB and S relay at the top of the list, and those two connections being the only things that have stuck out to me today I'm hoping I'm getting close. I believe I correctly followed the orange wire from the start button to the SB relay which may explain why the button was sort of working before and now isn't at all.

#22 10 years ago

The 'S' relay with two tabs bridged to one wire is fine.

To be clear, the 'trough' switch is the one the ball rolls over on its way to the plunger.
The 'outhole' switch is the one that was bent way over and needs to be put back in shape. It should be normally open, and then close when the ball rests in the outhole (which will trigger the score motor running and eventually kick the ball out, rolling it over the trough switch, and landing in front of the plunger).
When the trough switch closes, the ball count unit should advance one count.

Those dangling plugs and taped wire won't hurt anything; they are adjustment plugs to set which ball rack count scores. Since they're all unplugged right now, getting balls accumulated in the ball rack won't do much, but the game's not that far yet.

The thing to focus on right now is the score motor running continuously. The Start relaying tripping will set things in motion, go through reset, and then the Control Bank should reset, stopping everything.

One thing to check is the SB armature switch. This is the switch blade that's tucked underneath the Control Bank (below where the SB relay trips). The SB armature plate has a little dot on it that the switch tip should ride on, which is what controls it opening and closing. The switch needs to close when SB trips to allow the Control Bank to reset. This resets SB (and all the other relays there), which opens the switch again and keeps the Control Bank from continually firing every time the score motor runs.

But, need to take the start up sequence one thing at a time, from power up, to getting the S relay to fire. If the game is powering up and the score motor starts running right away, then need to track that down first.

#23 10 years ago

Thanks for clarifying on the outhole switch, I know that needs to be adjusted but I need a picture to go by because I honestly have no idea how it's supposed to look. The ball count unit does advance from 1-5 but stays stuck on 5.

I'll check out the armature switch if I get a chance tomorrow. I'm going to take the schematics to work and try and track some things down. Any idea why the reset bank solenoid would start randomly machine gunning?

#24 10 years ago

I think you can see an example of the outhole switch at the bottom of this picture:

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1412&picno=27340&zoom=1

It should be flat against the playfield, and the tip should come into contact with the ball when the ball lands in the outhole, which presses the switch down, closing it. With no ball in the outhole, the switch should be open.

Coils that start firing randomly and rapidly are an indication of a switch that's gapped to closely and is bouncing closed/open, or a switch that's gapped closed and a score motor switch is in the logic path and is pulsing. If the coil firing is in time with the score motor running, that's a clue.

#25 10 years ago

I haven't had much time to put in on this the past couple days, but I did manage to make a couple of quick adjustments last night. I adjusted the outhole switch alignment so now it and the ball return relay don't fire upon start up. I also checked the SB Armature switch and one of the blades is pretty mangled. It was definitely out of place so I adjusted it and did have a positive effect. When I power the game up and trip the S relay the reset bar solenoid now fires with it, which it had never done before. It drops the backbox marble bar but that's as far as it gets. The score motor stills runs and for some reason the start button seems to work intermittently. Sometimes it will activate the S relay and sometimes it doesn't. When the score motor runs, the coin door coil also weakly pulses with it. Could this be a symptom of a bad connection? I did notice on the coin door connector that one of the pins had the core missing.

I had a chance to go through the schematics at work yesterday so I have a list of all the switches in the path of the score motor I just haven't had a chance to check all of them yet. Also the game was originally starting in tilt (which I understand is what these games should do) but it hasn't been starting like that since the first day. I'm going to go over all the tilt switches as well.

#26 10 years ago

Might want see why this is catawampus.

Mibs_bank_relays.JPGMibs_bank_relays.JPG

#27 10 years ago

Ha, yeah I know it looks extra wonky in that picture. I actually got it back in place, but it still may be a bit off.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Stringer:

When I power the game up and trip the S relay the reset bar solenoid now fires with it, which it had

I like to begin at the beginning. Per your start up sequence, your S relay isn't pulling in correctly and you are not getting past step one.

I used to own a MIBs, and unfortunately, I didn't make a copy of the schematic prior to selling it. I do have a Funland schematic from that era. Hopefully they are close. The following switched need to be closed to pull in the S relay:
Anti Cheat Switch
SB Armature ****
Replay Button
Motor 1C **** (Normally closed on the motor)
Zero Position Replay **** (need credits on the reel or it set to free play at least)
Zero Position Ball count unit (may or may not be required for your game? seems odd)
W NC switch on the third chute relay (May or may not have this one too)

The ones with the **** are, IMO the likely suspects.

Also, don't worry too much about the NC switch on the score reel for now. They ensure that you get a full stroke, but in reality they don't do a whole lot as you usually get a full stroke regardless. Many many games have these broken off and nobody can tell.

#29 10 years ago

I hope these pics help...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

3 months later
#30 10 years ago

Hi just signed up for this forum. I am also in the process of restoring a 1975 Spirit of 76 EM pinball machine.

I have tracked many of my issues down to the AX relay. What I think has happened is that at some point the relay has been played with and the switches are not in the right slots. Does somebody have a working machine that they could pass along some pictures of how the switches should look when properly aligned?

I have schematics coming but I will then have to learn to read them etc. and a picture might save me hours of time.

Thank you!!

e-mail me at [email protected] or post here.

#31 10 years ago

Dagmore, start a new thread with your machine in the title, it'll get more exposure that way.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

Dagmore, start a new thread with your machine in the title, it'll get more exposure that way.

Yup, and a few of us have So76's.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Dagmore:

Hi just signed up for this forum. I am also in the process of restoring a 1975 Spirit of 76 EM pinball machine.

If you open a new thread then me & others will help you when we can.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Hi Stringer welcome to the forum. I have heard good things about the MIBS. PM me your email address if you need a schematic.
That's an end of stroke switch on your score reel. If you are wondering what an EOS switch is for, here is a thread and animation I made:
http://www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-an-end-of-stroke-switch-find-out-cool-animation
Here are links to a couple score reel animations I made. Both will be different from yours, but they all work basically the same and you might get a better idea about the theory of their function:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-score-reel-operation-animation
http://forum-img.pinside.com/pinball/forum/?bb_attachments=299351&bbat=32588&inline&fullsize
There are also some videos you may find useful on my youtube page. Videos which explain flipper circuits, how to clean contacts and reset animation explanations on later model EM's (Among other things). Although the reset animations are different than your specific game, the Williams reset may give you an example of how schematics flow (in general) as an aid to follow your own:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SirSteveFury
When I first got my Spirit of 76 I had not worked on any coin op equipment in almost 40 years. I had lost a lot of my schematic reading skills (I used to be quite good at it). I scanned a copy of my original so I could make marks on it.
For example if I had a problem with startup I would find the start button first pulls in the AX relay, which has a large number of contacts which I found it REALLY hard to follow around the schematic.
So using the scan I'd start from the top of the schematic and work my way down on the scan and mark every contact I could find belonging to the AX relay. I found the Start relay pulls in so I'd mark all those contacts too.
That procedure was a bit tedious and time consuming but I was able to resolve a lot of issues myself and re-learn how the flow of schematic reading goes... and now I no longer need to go around marking things. I'm an old fuddy duddy and not as sharp as I used to be but a lot has come back because I did those tedious time consuming things.

Like everyone else here, you sure are a nice fellow Steve!

3 weeks later
#35 10 years ago

I've got a MIBS and it seemed to be working just fine. Just recently it gives me 500 points when it switches from ball 2 to ball 3. At times, right when the game starts, it gives me 500 points for no reason. None of the 500 rollover switches are activated during that time either. Any ideas as to what is up?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acquired-my-first-game-a-gottlieb-mibs-now-i-need-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.