• Latest reply 6 years ago by CraigC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image1.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Is there anything I should be particularly worried about in restoring the ground to this machine?

I'm assuming this was on route at some point in time and the location didn't have a grounded outlet - and the operator elected to use a pair of side cutters instead of a cheater plug.

I guess - in a round about way - i'm wondering if the removal of ground could have been done to mask a larger issue, other than being done purely for convenience.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from eraserhead:

Is there anything I should be particularly worried about in restoring the ground to this machine?
I'm assuming this was on route at some point in time and the location didn't have a grounded outlet - and the operator elected to use a pair of side cutters instead of a cheater plug.

A 3-prong wall outlet probably wasn't available, so the operator just took the easy way out.

It's always best to fix that by replacing the cord.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#3 6 years ago

Probably for convenience. But it's a pretty straightforward fix. One I recommend you do ASAP.

#4 6 years ago

The cord just plugs into the back of the machine. Just buy another. They're like $6

#5 6 years ago

I didn't see an IEC anywhere... but to be honest, I haven't looked yet (it's being pin-sat at a friend's house - and he claims to not be able to see the inlet box with IEC). Given that it is early WPC, i'm assuming it all runs to the power box - so i'll need a long cord.

No matter - if something isn't being masked by the lift, then i'll get to work.

Thanks all.

#6 6 years ago

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PCIEC

see if T2 has the cord that can just be pulled out from the back. If so, replace with this.

#7 6 years ago

I bought a taxi with this problem. I ended up buying a new plug at home depot for $2. I cut off the end of the old plug, wired it into the new plug, then played. I have minimal electrical experience and I would rate this as a very easy fix. You just need to make sure you connect the three wires correctly to the new plug.

#8 6 years ago

I have had this happen with several of the games I have owned. Just replaced the end of the plug as mentioned above.

#9 6 years ago

DOn't buy a weird looking yellow plug. Just buy a new cord. IT"S $6 dollars. Will look a lot better.

#10 6 years ago

I believe T2 has the system 11 style plug that goes into the cabinet without being detatchable. i replace the whole cord and plug into the box in the front of the game. you need to know how to solder to be able to do this right, but it looks better than having the screw on wacky terminal thing which is a sign that your machine is an import or someone did something weird with it.

-c

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

I believe T2 has the system 11 style plug that goes into the cabinet without being detatchable. i replace the whole cord and plug into the box in the front of the game. you need to know how to solder to be able to do this right, but it looks better than having the screw on wacky terminal thing which is a sign that your machine is an import or someone did something weird with it.
-c

Yep. If it's like a system 11, the plug I linked won't work. But still don't use the yellow plug thing. Looks horrid. Just read Vid's guide. It shows how to solder a new one in.

#12 6 years ago

I've done both.

The Yellow Plug doesn't look that bad.... I never see the plug, so who cares what it looks like.

#13 6 years ago

Buy a black plug

#14 6 years ago

some people are picky about different things. you can also just shove nails into the outlet and wrap with raw wire ...i like my plugs un-hacked. i have a totem with the big yellow thing on it and even though its a game i want to sell it still bothers me.

#15 6 years ago

Or use one from and old computer

#16 6 years ago

I have big hogger server power cords for days around the office.... I'll hack an end off and get to work this evening.
image1.JPG

.... and yes.... a yellow plug would drive me up a wall..
(i'm glad there are some here that think that way - as those in proximity to me simply think i'm goofy)

#17 6 years ago

make sure you measure the length of the cable that will be used up inside the cabinet to reach the box. you don't want to be left with a tiny 2' cord sticking out the back. looking at that cord i'm thinking you will be a little short.

HD sells the long appliance cords with the pre-tinned ends that end up just a hair shorter than original but can easily reach an outlet near the game.

I'm really picky about coin doors too and having everything be correct. Even on my SS which is an import but technically has the correct single slot GB coin controls door. i have piles of coin door parts for all eras that i squirrel away in case i get a game that has been given the wrong door.

-c

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

make sure you measure the length of the cable that will be used up inside the cabinet to reach the box. you don't want to be left with a tiny 2' cord sticking out the back. looking at that cord i'm thinking you will be a little short.
HD sells the long appliance cords with the pre-tinned ends that end up just a hair shorter than original but can easily reach an outlet near the game.
I'm really picky about coin doors too and having everything be correct. Even on my SS which is an import but technically has the correct single slot GB coin controls door. i have piles of coin door parts for all eras that i squirrel away in case i get a game that has been given the wrong door.
-c

Yea - I just stretched this bastard out - it's only 10 feet... and as you say - probably not quite long enough. i'll keep looking, I've got others around here somewhere.

Funny - I was rebuilding coin doors last night (they were all sorts of wrong).
*We should hang out, lol.*

#19 6 years ago

I had the replace the plug on my T2 too, as they removed the ground plug. I replaced the plug with the black one from home Depot and it looks perfectly fine/normal for less than 5$..

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from eraserhead:

I have big hogger server power cords for days around the office.... I'll hack an end off and get to work this evening.

Should be able to unscrew the plate on the back and just Plug it in....shouldn't need to hack anything

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Should be able to unscrew the plate on the back and just Plug it in....shouldn't need to hack anything

You would think that. Except wms cut over to that style in 92 I believe with the early games having the system 11 style plastic cup and the cord that pushes into the cabinet.

-c

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from WApb:

I had the replace the plug on my T2 too, as they removed the ground plug. I replaced the plug with the black one from home Depot and it looks perfectly fine/normal for less than 5$..

Yep. There's many ways to skin a cat. You can pay a little more and replace the whole cord. When I see the replaced cord end it screams re-import, so that's just my thing. It's a good opportunity to make sure nobody hacked around in there or repinned the transformer plug wrong or poorly.

-c

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from eraserhead:

Funny - I was rebuilding coin doors last night (they were all sorts of wrong).
*We should hang out, lol.*

Sounds good. My favorite cheater trick is putting a 2 slot wms bezel on a 3 slot ribbed door. That and pounding out the coin controls system 11 doors that get kicked in easy with a rubber mallet. Don't get me started on classic stern doors

-c

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

When I see the replaced cord end it screams re-import

I did not even think about it that way, I guess it does..

#25 6 years ago

I just put a new plug on the end of the cord. I get the plugs at Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-volt-15-amp-male-plug-93686.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/125-volt-15-amp-male-plug-connector-61569.html

Sometimes I just go to Home Depot or Lowe's or ACE Hardware and buy the plugs there in the electrical section.

#26 6 years ago

Wow, really?
As long as the plug is safe, I could care less if the end was pink!
Lets be real here.

#27 6 years ago

For projects that need a good long cord, I hack the end off and extension cord and splice that in. They are easy to find with heavy gauge wire in the length I need.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Wow, really?
Lets be real here.

Well now we know what your opinion is.....yayyyy

We can't all be the same. Choose your own reality.

-c

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Well now we know what your opinion is.....yayyyy
We can't all be the same. Choose your own reality.
-c

dude.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Wow, really?
Lets be real here.

You're right, but it looks hideous. Some guys, like myself, are turned off my hacky looking things in pins. Those yellow plug make me cringe.

Just fix the problem with the right plug.

#31 6 years ago

I don't look at the plugs on any of my games. Yellow is fine.

#32 6 years ago

I think you guys are overreacting. Most house grounds and commons are connected to the same ground bar anyway.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

You're right, but it looks hideous. Some guys, like myself, are turned off my hacky looking things in pins. Those yellow plug make me cringe.
Just fix the problem with the right plug.

100% agree. It's all a matter of taste. Anyone can do whatever you want on their game and I'll just change it to suit me if it comes down the line to me it's no big deal. "Let's be real here."

-c

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

100% agree. It's all a matter of taste.

Since we're quote happy, I couldn't agree more. Have fun with your Totem...

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I think you guys are overreacting. Most house grounds and commons are connected to the same ground bar anyway.

Yes, when I upgrade the service in my home, I did just that.....that is residential code at least in my area

Quoted from CraigC:

You would think that. Except wms cut over to that style in 92 I believe with the early games having the system 11 style plastic cup and the cord that pushes into the cabinet.
-c

My T2 has a removable cord, but it's possible it was somehow swapped prior to my purchasing it

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

While the ground and neutral are bonded in the service disconnect to create a grounded system, the two wires serve different purposes and BOTH are necessary for safe and proper operation of the machine.

#37 6 years ago

I just put a 3 prong connector on the end after cutting off the 'modified' 2 prong lacking the ground on my t2. you can get them at a local hardware store like ace. make sure its rated correctly.

#38 6 years ago

I just got a HS2 with the ground cutoff too. I didnt think too much about it (or even notice ) when I plugged it in. I was getting shocked anytime I touched the playfield rails of HS2 and the machine next to it (with HS2 on) . I unplugged the machine and noticed the problem immediately. I bought a $2 plug from home depot (in orange), installed, and no more shocks. It took about 5 mins to install.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

For projects that need a good long cord, I hack the end off and extension cord and splice that in. They are easy to find with heavy gauge wire in the length I need.

Hope your home owners ins is paid up. If they're different gauges thing can get all nice and toasty fairly quick.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from tommyp:

Hope your home owners ins is paid up. If they're different gauges thing can get all nice and toasty fairly quick.

As long as he's buying the heavy duty extension cords, they are far better. Heavier gauge wire then the crap in the stock cords.

#41 6 years ago

The removable PC computer type power cord is officially called and IEC Cord. FYI.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

My T2 has a removable cord, but it's possible it was somehow swapped prior to my purchasing it

Hrmm, you would have noticed the big circle where the cup would have been if it had been replaced. Did CCC make all the WMS cabinets or did they have multiple vendors?

-c

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Burlington, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Temecula, CA
Boards
Slap Save Creations
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!