Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by xeneize
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190819_2146442 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190819_2154209 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190819_2153150 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190819_2149583 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190819_2149379 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190805_1349308 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190819_2149379b (resized).jpg

#1 28 days ago

I present to you the 'Tower of Torture' (or insert whatever name you wish).

When we received ACNC, I immediately could see the potential to build out the castle, starting with a second tower to even out the upper playfield.

This is my first attempt at creating a multi-process (build) mod; sculpt, mold, cast and paint. Actually it's my first mod. Seen below is the original sculpt in grey along with an unpainted cast and a fully painted tower. Cast is a very hard polyurethane resin/plastic (D65). This tower is based on the small 2 brick L-shaped piece on the front right corner of the upper playfield. The tower is purposely smaller than the left tower, but has the same scale bricks and stands 1/4" to the glass. It does not obscure the upper flipper or guillotine.

I am testing the waters here to see what the interest is prior to creating a Pinside store as I don't know if I can produce these in any appreciable quantity or speed. I expect that cast and paint time would be 1-2 weeks. I would need a commitment of purchase but I would not want to take any money until your tower is cast, painted and ready to ship. I am not sure if this can be done in market place so for the time being I will donate to Pinside on any sales. I will try to contact Robin to see if he can answer these questions.

To install, unscrew the 3D printed block from the playfield (2 screws), remove the screw holding in the L-shape sculpt and gently wiggle it off off the 3D printed block (there are two thin strips of adhesive holding it on). Once removed, sit the new tower on the block and install the screw. (you can use a small strip of double sided adhesive if you think that it is necessary). Place the tower/block back on the upper playfield and screw it down with the original 2 screws. This is a completely reversible mod.

Initial pricing (USD):
Tower (fully painted) $120
Tower (unpainted) $50

Shipping (via Post) is extra, but approximately $10 in Canada, $20 in US. Unsure of International but can get pricing. Signature & tracking options are extra (this has always perplexed me but it is the case).

Thanks for your interest!

IMG_20190819_2149379b (resized).jpgIMG_20190805_1349308 (resized).jpgIMG_20190819_2149379 (resized).jpgIMG_20190819_2149583 (resized).jpgIMG_20190819_2153150 (resized).jpgIMG_20190819_2154209 (resized).jpgIMG_20190819_2146442 (resized).jpg
#2 28 days ago

Very nice work! I'd be interested in one!

#3 28 days ago

Looks great but I would be worried about ball visibility with it installed there.

#4 28 days ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Looks great but I would be worried about ball visibility with it installed there.

You will have to wait to get feedback from others as I will be considered biased but there are no visibility issues. The base 2 brick layers are a close copy of what is already on the original L shaped sculpt. The rest tapers in somewhat and the the top tapers out. If you look at the playfield on your Alice, you will see the width of the base and can likely see that there is really nothing to 'block' visibility of. But as said, let's see what others think

#5 28 days ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Very nice work! I'd be interested in one!

I have one ready, I will PM after dinner.

1 week later
#6 18 days ago

Looks amazing! Like it should have always been there!

#7 17 days ago

This looks great! You really nailed it matching the original design and color. Well done!!

#8 17 days ago

As this seems to be a development thread and not the final for sale thread or until you open a pinside store I'll comment with some feedback.
First and foremost I like the concept.
I also think you did a fantastic job matching the texture and paint colors to the original look of the machine.

The initial price point for me seems a little steep though without integrating lighting or something else of that nature.
I understand that a lot of work goes into this and I commend you for that, but I think you would sell more of them if it was either a cheeper price point or keep it at this price point and you incorporated an effect of some nature.
Adding a lighting feature to it like an LED so the window lights up that ties into the GI somehow would add a little time in development and putting it together but wouldn't add that much cost on your end. Just my initial thoughts.
Anyhow I think you have a lot of talent and hope you continue making things like this.
Keep up the good work.

1 week later
#9 8 days ago

Thanks guys and yes I am open to feedback of course

- Mike, you might be a bit biased (almost like family would be haha! but I appreciate it)

- Steve thanks for direction on the materials. I ultimately didn't have the same choice of for manufacturer for the mold material but fortunately I found the same resin, and they had a great silicone rubber option within 2-ish hours from me so I purchased

- Coindork, I get it. Adding a small LED strip is easy and could be an option.

If I choose to do something I will offer to send that out to the couple of pinheads who have purchased the tower. I will put some thought into but I think that I'm ok with a very small run and the feedback so far is that people love a resin cast mod over 99% of the 3D prints out there. The resolution is day and night (zero filament lines . All that said, I'm not sure what the plan is for this tower as there are other mods available for ACNC and one sits right in front of mine, which has been available for a while and selling well.

Let's see what comes of this, it's just been fun so far.

#10 8 days ago

I had mod on for 20-25 games now...
Easy to install
Looks great
Looks stock
I thought visibility would be an issue (I’m 5’9”) no issues yet...I can see through window if need be and it’s only for guillotine shot.
Highly recommend. Get job Darrell dnaman

#11 7 days ago

I absolutely hate filament lines.

#12 7 days ago
Quoted from gouveia:

I absolutely hate filament lines.

And my (your) installed WoZ witch mod and flying monkey mod (in waiting) are perfect proof of that! Both pieces of art, I can't wait. No LEDs or anything 'extra' and you can't make enough of them and yet they are not priced to give away

To be fair, they do look cooler than a turret, which I do realize is not a 'must have' for most. Again, I did it for our pin and wanted to see if I could do something with it; challenge complete!

#13 7 days ago
Quoted from drewbo81:

I had mod on for 20-25 games now...
Easy to install
Looks great
Looks stock
I thought visibility would be an issue (I’m 5’9”) no issues yet...I can see through window if need be and it’s only for guillotine shot.
Highly recommend. Get job Darrell dnaman

Thanks Drew.

We're the same height and that is my take, there is no obstruction of view and the guillotine is on the right side anyway. Glad to hear that you're diggin' it.

#14 7 days ago
Quoted from Coindork:

First and foremost I like the concept.
I also think you did a fantastic job matching the texture and paint colors to the original look of the machine.

Honestly, after the sculpt and then figuring out how I could pull off a single block mold and then cast it, the finishing took me a long while to try to figure out. Medisinyl also shared some insight but mixing paint to match something and trying to recreate it many times, as required is tough.

Unlike many mods from others, my challenge was made greater as this is surrounded by excellent sculpts to directly compare with in style, texture and ultimately finish. I did notice that even between Matt's sculpt there are noticeable differences.

Just happy that it 'worked' and that some will get to enjoy it. Not sure that I have it in me to do a lot of it but who knows...

Again, thanks for the feedback!

#15 7 days ago
Quoted from dnaman:

And my (your) installed WoZ witch mod and flying monkey mod (in waiting) are perfect proof of that! Both pieces of art, I can't wait. No LEDs or anything 'extra' and you can't make enough of them and yet they are not priced to give away
To be fair, they do look cooler than a turret, which I do realize is not a 'must have' for most. Again, I did it for our pin and wanted to see if I could do something with it; challenge complete!

And now that you have the skills, you can make anything you want.

Matching other sculpts like you're doing is pretty hard. I have to match one piece of wall with the existing walls in WOZ, and it's pretty difficult to make it look good. Everybody has there own style. I think you did great.

The biggest challenge for me is time. When you're making it for yourself, time flies by and you don't actually realize how many hours you're spending on it. When you make it over and over, and they all need to look the same, you realize that handmade pieces take a LOT of time. That's where most of the cost comes from for me.

And your monkey is coming soon!

#16 7 days ago
Quoted from dnaman:

- Mike, you might be a bit biased (almost like family would be haha! but I appreciate it)

No problem pops! Oh you mean family like brothers

#17 7 days ago

I received my tower and it is GORGEOUS! Thank you so much, Darrell!

In my opinion, no lighting required or extra bells/whistles needed to justify this mod. It's a sculpt to further flesh out the environment, pure and simple.

Now, I just need my game!

My PF is off kruzman and when he's finished, she'll get built. Been on the waiting list since day 1 and I cannot wait for this game!

Photos will follow once installed.

#18 6 days ago

Thanks James!

I honestly never thought that a PF could be sent out pre-build (nice choice with Kruzman, from what I read), what a great way to go on such a cool pin and I can see that this is possible with Spooky, good on you.

I wish that we would have thought of that as the dimpling gets me down. And no, for those reading, I am not looking to start anything I just like shiny glossy things, especially PFs, dimples are like acne... Super pleased to have installed a PF protector on my new GB LE. I will continue to do this or go with Kruzman if that is an option in the future.

I'm excited to see your tower installed, thanks once again.

#19 6 days ago

Well, Darrell...after owning many machines, my first ever NIB was a TNA and we absolutely LOVE it. It started dimpling after a few hundred plays. Truth be told, I was kind of bummed, but it was expected. I mean, the thing plays like a normal pinball on crack. So, I never would have complained (that would have been inappropriate and unfair), but asked myself what I could do to avoid this (minor AND expected) disappointment if I ever invested in NIB again.

Several months later I bought a used game with a kruzman field in it with MANY plays and there was not a dimple on it...and this game gets some serious air balls. I could immediately see that when Ron reworks a field, there is a whole new level of perfection and protection.

So, I called spookykt and she very graciously agreed to ship my ACNC field to Ron (at my expense of course) for clear coat treatment prior to my build. At that time I also purchased a (very fairly priced) spare TNA field which I also had shipped to him. It is just one more example of the INCOMPARABLE level of customer service that spookycharlie and team provide.

I am really excited to receive the game when it arrives and add your mod. There are some great people in this "space" and I feel incredibly grateful to be able to interact with them and proud to support their businesses!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,300.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lancaster, NY
$ 6,450.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Verona, KY
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
675 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside