New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 262255)

ACNC, Hobbit, Something else?

By oohlou

8 months ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Tuna_Delight
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Bravo.gif
0fc (1).gif

#1 8 months ago

I've been it the hobby for about 5 years. The first 4 of those I went through 22 games. I know around here that probably doesn't sound like much but take a step back: I was adding / changing a game every two months. That is crazy in retrospect. I kinda burned out. I still love pinball but recently I play less games in a month than I used to play in a day. I got IMDN new 11 months ago and that is the longest I've gone yet in terms of adding / changing games. Now, I'm considering adding something new. Currently have MET, IMDN, and LOTR (and Star Trip but that one only halfway counts).

A friend is selling a Hobbit for a good price. I've played probably 30 games on it and I feel like I've only scratched the surface. The layout doesn't excite me but I really enjoy exploring deep rule sets, the theme is a slam dunk for me and my family, and I appreciate JJP production values. I don't think Hobbit is a long term keeper for me but I would really enjoy having it in the house for a few months, maybe even a year or two.

As for ACNC, I've played probably 10 games total on it and I was really impressed. While I'm not really a Alice Cooper fan parse, it fits well with the MET and IMDN and the general Nightmare Castle theme is cool. The layout is unique, the rules seem interesting, and the game really triggered my "just one more game!" urge in the few times I've played it.

Opinions? Alternatives?

#2 8 months ago

Let me ask you this, do you play your Met more or your LOTR more? If you like longer playing games like LOTR then you will love Hobbit.

I owned a Hobbit for 9 months and the only reason I sold it was because it was my only pin and there can be very long playing times. If I had a game for over 20 minutes then I didn’t really want to hit the start button again and I was done with pinball for the day. Amazing game and I’d love to own it again when I can afford a larger collection with more games.

I’ve never played ACNC but I’ve heard it’s a harder game so it would probably line up more with MET in terms of ball time.

#3 8 months ago
Quoted from oohlou:

I've been it the hobby for about 5 years. The first 4 of those I went through 22 games. I know around here that probably doesn't sound like much but take a step back: I was adding / changing a game every two months. That is crazy in retrospect. I kinda burned out. I still love pinball but recently I play less games in a month than I used to play in a day. I got IMDN new 11 months ago and that is the longest I've gone yet in terms of adding / changing games. Now, I'm considering adding something new. Currently have MET, IMDN, and LOTR (and Star Trip but that one only halfway counts).
A friend is selling a Hobbit for a good price. I've played probably 30 games on it and I feel like I've only scratched the surface. The layout doesn't excite me but I really enjoy exploring deep rule sets, the theme is a slam dunk for me and my family, and I appreciate JJP production values. I don't think Hobbit is a long term keeper for me but I would really enjoy having it in the house for a few months, maybe even a year or two.
As for ACNC, I've played probably 10 games total on it and I was really impressed. While I'm not really a Alice Cooper fan parse, it fits well with the MET and IMDN and the general Nightmare Castle theme is cool. The layout is unique, the rules seem interesting, and the game really triggered my "just one more game!" urge in the few times I've played it.
Opinions? Alternatives?

Very tough. Both are awesome. I will agree that hobbit has much longer ball times, but you seem to enjoy the hobbit theme more.

Could you play either at local barcades or friends homes? I would suggest playing more on each before forming an opinion.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either, but since you are seeking to get a "keeper, " I think you need to do some more homework on them.

#4 8 months ago

Hobbit. It would give you a big change of pace and variety. I have both hobbit and met and I play Metallica more because it’s quicker games, however every time I get going on hobbit I walk away saying what a freaking great game. You need a change up.

#5 8 months ago

You should go to a show or a friends house and play lots more games. Limiting your choice between just 2 games is asking for disappointment. There are so many cool games made over the past 5 or 10 years. Even just the past 5 years you have 20 games to choose. Don't limit yourself! There is no substitute to playing a game and deciding for yourself if you want it in the collection.

#6 8 months ago

I prefer ACNC just because it's a bit quicker to play and i'm a huge Alice Cooper fan. Hobbit's game play is a bit boring and long playing but the theme integration is amazing.

#7 8 months ago

I own both ACNC and Hobbit, as well as MET and IMDN which I enjoy too.

Both are great (and unique) games in their own way and trying to suggest which one to buy is like recommending one ice cream flavor over another to a fellow ice cream fan.

My recommendation is therefore to sell LOTR and buy them both! Or … play them both more and go with your gut.

#8 8 months ago

Two different playing experiences for sure. Would probably come down to theme for me. Are you a bigger LOTR fan or a bigger Rock fan? What do you have more of in your house? you already have two Rock pins - even the score with Hobbit or get a trifecta going with ACNC.

#9 8 months ago
Quoted from ReadyPO:

Two different playing experiences for sure. Would probably come down to theme for me. Are you a bigger LOTR fan or a bigger Rock fan? What do you have more of in your house? you already have two Rock pins - even the score with Hobbit or get a trifecta going with ACNC.

Although it features Alice Cooper's music, I definitely consider ACNC's theme as horror - not rock. The gameplay centers around getting through his "nightmare castle" and battling monsters. The music is a bonus feature.

#10 8 months ago

Hobbit sucks and Alice rocks! Easy choice

#11 8 months ago

I made my decision.

0fc (1).gif

#12 8 months ago

I had as many as 9 pins in the house at one point. I have 3 right now (Star Trip doesn't count. It does double duty as a end table). I can fit 2 more. I can afford them. I want them both. So why not? I'm doing it.

#13 8 months ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

Hobbit sucks and Alice rocks! Easy choice

Hobbit sucks? I took a look at your collection, and decided you don't know wtf a good pin is. Enjoy your water world and hook.

#14 8 months ago
Quoted from jorant:

Hobbit sucks? I took a look at your collection, and decided you don't know wtf a good pin is. Enjoy your water world and hook.

I've never owned Water World or Hook, yet I also think Hobbit sucks.

Take a look at my collection if that's how you determine credibility. I've owned Hobbit.

The most impressive thing about the game to me is that there are people who actually like it.

My advice to the OP between ACNC and Hobbit would be to choose something else. But everybody has different taste.

#15 8 months ago
Quoted from oohlou:

… I can fit 2 more. I can afford them. I want them both. So why not? I'm doing it.

Bravo!

Bravo.gif

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside