• Latest reply 8 years ago by Spock
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MPU_(resized).png
#1 8 years ago

I have cleaned Acid Damage on other machines mostly on sys11. Vinegar/Water and a toothbrush. This time around not a simple clean. The power Driver Board on a Fish Tales WCP 95 seems to have had a acid issue before I bought it. My batteries are fine however though I can see previous etching on the board. To be honest, I rather buy a new board and move the chips for $180. The game plays fine by the Display is stuck on adding credits. Makes me first think it is a switch issue, but I really think it is a power driver issue since I scraped off some acid fungus. Few resistors have bad solder joints so I could re-flow them... Or do I just drop $180 and get a rotten dog since this board looks a bit rough. I just need to swap the fish tales chip right?

EDIT: Williams WPC89 MPU board

#2 8 years ago

Sounds like it might have trace damage. Throw up a picture and location.

I am sure people will advise cost effectiveness of saving vs buying new.
Also you might find a repair guy in your area that can help for cheaper.

Good luck either way

#3 8 years ago

Just ran the machine for awhile. Seems some damaged portions of the Power Driver Board warms up and runs fine. AKA dry solder since the acid eat most of it away. I will reflow all the bad spots. "prob 50". and see what happens. If the game runs fine after it warms up, should only take 50-60 quick taps.

From my limited experience, if you know you have bad solder joints and your game runs fine after it gets hot. then You assume you have dry solder on the power driver board considering it had acid? All the acid was removed and neutralized btw, but it did damage..

#4 8 years ago

In the end I can re-solder all the acid solder joints, it will fix it. But I rather just have a clean board. This board looks like it had some major acid issues in the its past. Can I just buy a new Driver board from rotten dog and swap the FT rom?

#5 8 years ago

Assume you mean the MPU not the powerdriver board. Yes you can use the existing ROM and asic chip. Buy the $2 tool to remove the asic chip.

#6 8 years ago

Sounds like you have more exp than I do at it. You can always just throw money at it. You are in luck I found some in stock finally

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PC-A-12697-TH

ops never mind I was reading the header while searching another tab. I have no idea who has that CPU board in stock.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Assume you mean the MPU not the powerdriver board. Yes you can use the existing ROM and asic chip. Buy the $2 tool to remove the asic chip.

The MPU yes, sorry. awhile since I did board work and Power Driver Board is written on the MPU board for the ribbon leading to the Power Driver Board so I get my words mixed up.

For people who read this and get confused your MPU is the narrow board... AKA your leaking battery. See in orange is your game rom on your MPU. Frankly to me they are all boards and I just solder bad joints or fix broken obvious hacks and forget what they are called. Very sorry

MPU_(resized).pngMPU_(resized).png

#8 8 years ago

Its also a wpc 89 board just so you order the correct one

#9 8 years ago

In the end... Prob smart to reflow all 50+ joints the acid ruined before I buy a new board. Issue is, they look healthy from the back. so some components may be messed up and it is not the pins.

#10 8 years ago

The traces to the ICs are very fine on the MPU and can be easily damaged. Look at the areas the acid damaged and check with a meter as needed. It may be that certain events are triggering the problem as opposed to warming it up. They can be hard to work with but if you can read the schematic OK trace the circuits around any areas with damage to start. It may be a single trace which you can just bridge. Sounds like the board is fixable but you have to decide if it is worth the hassle or not. I have a rotten dog MPU in one of mine as it just got too hard in the end as multiple traces got messed up. Easier to just by a new one sometimes! I still want to fix it though...

#11 8 years ago

hmm... I get "10 credit" on the DMD and a credit sound randomly. I know for a fact after cleaning I have multiple joints that are dry. Issue is I have only pulled joints out and soldered a new one in. So how do you re-flow 50 resistors that are healthy from the back and rotted out from the front.

I am ok with running a bridge if I know what to scratch and what to run. In the end, rather just buy a new board. so I need to buy a board that is only missing the rom. Otherwise I have to salvage the ram "under the rom" and pull all the chips which may or may not be socketed. I will post a link to a rotten dog in a few mins when I find it.

#12 8 years ago

Another update. Went in settings to turn on free play. Came back and only DMD works everything else is dead. something smells fishy with my Fish Tales.

-Start a game

-Flippers work, audio works, No lights and no plunger.

(EDIT) J114 and J115 reseated and power is back. I may have some hacks behind the boards as well....

#13 8 years ago

Good news. I think the acid on the MPU which I have cleaned with vinegar water is unrelated to my issue. Granted, if I had not cleaned the acid I would have a slew of other problems eventually. Turns out a broken wire in the coin door was shorting/triggering new coins randomly. Problem solved so far.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 169.00
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acid-damage-power-driver-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.