• Latest reply 10 years ago by yoshootme
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

billion.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I didn't really see a thread about this, so I wanted to start one.

What's your strategy for AC/DC (Pro or Premium/LE) when playing competitively or for score? What songs do you play first? Do you go for combos? Building the song jackpot? Song changes? Do you take multiballs as they come or try to stack them? On the Premium/LE, are you screwing yourself by starting the game with a ramp mode? Do you try anything unconventional?

#2 10 years ago

Hard to beat Hells Bells if you are playing in a tourney for score only. Especially if you are good at cycling the ramps.

#3 10 years ago

Mine is to just get the basic song objected completed so I can light up the main shots and hopefully score as many of those as I can, all the while hoping that I bang enough chance targets to start album multiball. Then just try to keep balls in play long enough to gain as many jackpots as I can. Lastly unload all my VIP passes as the last ball drains past the point of no return. LOL..yep I always hang on to them too long. I also don't change songs to much, maybe once if I beat my last high score for that song, otherwise I keep it on the same song, since I have zero chance at encore at this time.

Your probably looking for something more deep but, that's where I'm at right now.

#4 10 years ago

One thing you can do is let the ball drain so you get a second plunge and light two of the three lights for whole lotta rosie papa has a tutorial

#5 10 years ago

I seem to do better playing War Machine. I rarely change songs. Try to start multiball after lighting the 2x playfield. Love hitting the spinner! Shoot the ramps on purpose but the targets will come by as play progresses on it's own.

#6 10 years ago

Saving money so I can afford one!

#7 10 years ago

I like to start with Shook me all night long, but man, you have to have some serious control skills and precise shots because any errant shot off the targets by the ramp entrances or the TNT drops drains ~80%~ of the time on mine, I have the outlane posts set in the middle(factory) position. Its like there are hidden magnets sucking them down the outlanes!

I need to do more dead flipper passing because I get a lot of light bounces off (an actuated) flipper right to the outlane

Post edited by moderator: proper verbage and what not

#8 10 years ago

Previously I'd say Highway to Hell, but I don't think it's going to be that great once the code is updated. Much harder to qualify the lower playfield, and when it is, the scoring potential is much lower than before.

Whole Lotta Rosie for me. Once in multi-ball, you are seemingly always relighting the song note jackpot shots. I usually focus on Jam multi-ball as well, then go for 2X bell from there. On a Premium I may risk a bell shot off the cannon in single ball play, on a Pro I avoid the bell at all costs unless I am in a multi-ball mode.

Rock 'n Roll train seems to be good for those that combo the ramps back and forth.

Thunderstruck has some nice roving jackpot shots. Good point potential there.

To be honest, I think the scoring options are pretty balanced in this game and the factor that matters most for song choice is your personal play style.

#9 10 years ago

I've always started with War Machine so I can just keep hitting the left loop to build up a nice song jackpot before nailing a ramp.

On the premiums, are you a sucker for starting with a ramp mode? After all, the first shot to either will load the cannon (though Highway to Hell will send you to the lower playfield first).

I'm interested in hearing more about the Hells Bells strategy. I know that it makes sense to super skill shot ball 2 if you have Hells Bells running and a VIP pass, since you'll get 2 VIPs back.

As for when to use the VIPs during Hells Bells, do you use it to light the note shots, or save it for multiball, when you can use the VIP pass to prolong 2x?

Does it make sense to start with another song before Hells Bells?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

As for when to use the VIPs during Hells Bells, do you use it to light the note shots, or save it for multiball, when you can use the VIP pass to prolong 2x?

I don't think using a VIP pass on the bell prolongs 2X or 3X scoring, it just spots the note. Can anyone verify this?

I personally save the VIP passes for multi-ball. When in multi-ball, I make sure I am aware of what shots are left to activate the multi-ball restart and I make sure I have enough VIP passes to do so. I also make sure I don't overuse the VIP passes in multi-ball, as I may need them for the next one.

I also don't really recommend using the Super Skillshot. It's nice if you get it, but I find my success rates with it (usually doing a loop-pass to the left flipper) to be wildly inconsistent, especially from machine to machine. Better to rack up the VIP passes with the standard skillshot (which is almost impossible to miss), especially to keep in tune with a safer/wiser strategy in competitive play.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

I know that it makes sense to super skill shot ball 2 if you have Hells Bells running and a VIP pass, since you'll get 2 VIPs back.

I didn't know there was a "super" skill shot, what is it?

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I don't think using a VIP pass on the bell prolongs 2X or 3X scoring, it just spots the note. Can anyone verify this?
I personally save the VIP passes for multi-ball. When in multi-ball, I make sure I am aware of what shots are left to activate the multi-ball restart and I make sure I have enough VIP passes to do so. I also make sure I don't overuse the VIP passes in multi-ball, as I may need them for the next one.

VIPs in Hells Bells do reset 2x/3x timer

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

VIPs in Hells Bells do extend 2x/3x timer

Nice, good to know!

Quoted from Replay:

I didn't know there was a "super" skill shot, what is it?

On the plunge, when the ball hits the Jukebox saucer, hold the right flipper. It will fire it back out and around the right orbit for the super skillshot.

#14 10 years ago

Go for multiball. Sounds obvious but seriously this game is made for scoring during MB.

I try to get MB ready before trying to complete a song. The quickest way to score a lot of points is to start getting into the loop, target, ramp, etc jackpots. Once you start getting jackpot shots outside of just the song jackpot scoring starts going crazy.

For a quick surge in points I currently go to Highway to hell. Get 2x going before shooting the ramp. With 2x going I normally wind up with at least 20 million right off the bat.

#15 10 years ago

I try to breeze through 2-3 songs first to light super modes. Ill try and get thunderstruck going before my first mb. Then, it kinda depends. Sometimes I'll do H2H to build song jp more then get hells bells going with a mb and cash in everything; super modes, collect bonus, song jp, etc... But you gotta play the board and select songs accordingly. Overall, I usually always go for song completions to make the effort towards encore.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Nice, good to know!

On the plunge, when the ball hits the Jukebox saucer, hold the right flipper. It will fire it back out and around the right orbit for the super skillshot.

Not only can the VIP be used to extend your 2x or 3x scoring but can also be used to score a super skill shot if you can't make a shot in the allotted time needed. So if you play it out right you can start a MB mode with a possible 5 VIPs on ball 3 or even if you can't make a super skill shot from the flipper you can still have 3 VIPs. Just too lucrative to ignore when playing heads up against someone strictly for score. That and the fact that the song bonus for Hells bells is right in the middle so if you get Album going there are some huge opportunities waiting.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I try to breeze through 2-3 songs first to light super modes. Ill try and get thunderstruck going before my first mb. Then, it kinda depends. Sometimes I'll do H2H to build song jp more then get hells bells going with a mb and cash in everything; super modes, collect bonus, song jp, etc... But you gotta play the board and select songs accordingly. Overall, I usually always go for song completions to make the effort towards encore.

He's talking about scoring for competitive play. Not sure trying for multiple songs is the best or safest strategy when you have to complete 8 song requests on a game that's usually set up to play difficult.

#18 10 years ago

I'm interested in all strategies. I've seen Bowen's tutorials, and I've pored over the rule sheet. I've seen my average score climb, but I'm hitting a ceiling at about 140 million. It's just such an amazing game that I am sure there are ways to play it I haven't even imagined.

I tend to go for a super skill unless I don't have You Shook or Rosie lit and I need them for song completion. Using the VIP pass to earn the super skill and gain an extra VIP makes sense.

Here's a question: is there any sense to delaying a cash in for a song jackpot? I see a lot of people shoot away from the AC/DC targets, presumably because they are risky. But, if you're playing a machine that is pretty reliable on the bounce from the targets, is there any reason to NOT go for it? After all, it's another 12 rollovers until the next opportunity...

#19 10 years ago

Score below was on a set factory premium I owned. I have been trying to do it on a pro, as I know no one that has done it. I have done 650+ million on Pro so far, and I know it's just a matter of time.

For the game below, honestly, everything was just hitting. It was one of those games. My friend was actually watching, as he was player 2, waiting for a long time for a turn. I took a trip to encore, which was a friggin' blast.

Now that I have revisited with my current pro, It too is set stock. I find that pitching the game right in the center of the bubble makes all the difference in enjoyment. Anything pitched steeper, and you're in for a nightmare.

The best strategy I can give is ball control. You have to be able to drop catch and make good on where you shoot, because every shot is a potentially punishing drain, and as we all know, on AC/DC this is huge if you have a large jackpot that goes uncashed...

I do not find that post passing is necessary, especially when you have the ability to either back hand either ramp, or shooting for a left or right orbit to make more progress.

I usually start at the top of the jukebox on either side and work my way down (or vice versa) easier to keep track of your progress this way, if you're trying for encore. Skilled control and plow through the songs. If your jackpot is say 20+ million, don't be afraid to cash it out. It also can be a combination of good fortune if you can sneak a 2x or even 3x for your cashout, but this can be difficult. It's best to try and achieve this in multiball obviously.

As for stacking multiball, well...it's great of you can, but it's not always the easiest thing to do. More often than not I find myself just getting the single multiball to launch me over a difficult song, like ''for those about to rock''

The biggest thing in AC/DC is making good on your shots, because the second chances are far and few between.

billion.jpgbillion.jpg

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

Here's a question: is there any sense to delaying a cash in for a song jackpot? I see a lot of people shoot away from the AC/DC targets, presumably because they are risky. But, if you're playing a machine that is pretty reliable on the bounce from the targets, is there any reason to NOT go for it? After all, it's another 12 rollovers until the next opportunity...

If you are about to go into Album or Tour MB and you have a good song jackpot built up it's better to not collect it to save it towards the Song Bonus. I hate collecting any song jackpot at base value without 2x or 3x running. Feels like a wasted opportunity.

#21 10 years ago

sometimes i see a "loop" jackpot. that must be shot with the canon? and it is supposed to make it all the way around the orbit? my canon doesnt seem to have that power.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

sometimes i see a "loop" jackpot. that must be shot with the canon? and it is supposed to make it all the way around the orbit? my canon doesnt seem to have that power.

I barely remember seeing this jackpot, but the loop jackpot I think is just from the loops you have made, and you cash it out the same way on the target bank. If I'm wrong, I'm willing to bet that just hitting the spinner and the swing switch is enough to get the jackpot if it's calling for that shot.

#23 10 years ago

You don't collect loop jackpot on the orbit - it is lit on the AC/DC drops.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I barely remember seeing this jackpot, but the loop jackpot I think is just from the loops you have made, and you cash it out the same way on the target bank.

Yes and no. Yes in that it's cashed in on the target bank, but No in that the value for the jackpot is only raised when a Super mode is activated. It's important to keep an eye at the inserts near the flippers to know what Super mode you are in. Making loops when "Super Loops" is active builds towards a Loop Jackpot. Making Combos while "Super Combos" is lit will build towards the Combo Jackpot, etc., etc.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Yes and no. Yes in that it's cashed in on the target bank, but No in that the value for the jackpot is only raised when a Super mode is activated. It's important to keep an eye at the inserts near the flippers to know what Super mode you are in. Making loops when "Super Loops" is active builds towards a Loop Jackpot. Making Combos while "Super Combos" is lit will build towards the Combo Jackpot, etc., etc.

awesome! thanks. maybe in a few years i will get the entire thing. lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-whats-your-strategy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.