(Topic ID: 26495)

ACDC: what position are your outlanes set at?

By Eskaybee

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by TheFamilyArcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“what position is your acdc outlanes set at?”

• Middle (default) 25 votes
      46%
    • In - minimum position 27 votes
      50%
    • Wide open (I tilt a lot) 2 votes
      4%

(54 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 7 years ago

Have only had my ACDC for 5 days and still have the outlanes at the default middle position. The game is punishing, but wondering what the rest of the community has there outlanes positioned at. I usually have 1 good game out of 10 lol. 171mil is my highest after 5 days. Thinking about getting some mercy and positioning the outlanes to minimum. What's your thoughts?

#2 7 years ago

Mine are still in the middle as well. It's a tough game, for sure. There's nothing like being rewarded for a perfect canon shot with a ricochet off the ROCK targets and a drain down the left outlane.

#3 7 years ago

Default. The way Steve designed it

#4 7 years ago

Default for me. Can't bring them in cuz it feels wrong. I also want to play as if I were in competition to keep me in practice. High on the new software is 230 mil. One shot away from Encore. I was specifically going for Encore, so I did not dwell in a particular song raping for points.

#5 7 years ago

If you want to play as if you were in competition then you need to remove the outlane posts altogether. If you want to play to have fun, close them up to tightest setting. Closed up, the outlanes are still brutal.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

If you want to play as if you were in competition then you need to remove the outlane posts altogether. If you want to play to have fun, close them up to tightest setting. Closed up, the outlanes are still brutal.

I agree with all of this. From what I understand, Keith Elwin and most of the top players usually have the posts completely removed from their pins when they are practicing. Also, I actually don't really notice much if any difference between the posts being at default vs all the way in. It's still a freaking drain monster.

#7 7 years ago

I have mine closed down all the way and I haven't really noticed significantly fewer drains on the left outlane. It is still pretty brutal. Hopefully this will result in me improving my nudging skills. Star posts may be an effective option for those that really want to see fewer drains I suppose.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

I have mine closed down all the way and I haven't really noticed significantly fewer drains on the left outlane. It is still pretty brutal. Hopefully this will result in me improving my nudging skills. Star posts may be an effective option for those that really want to see fewer drains I suppose.

Definitely agree (per my post above yours) that bringing the posts in doesn't really seem to reduce drains, but man, I hope nobody puts star posts in as an option. Might as well add a center peg between the flippers while they're at it.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Definitely agree (per my post above yours) that bringing the posts in doesn't really seem to reduce drains, but man, I hope nobody puts star posts in as an option. Might as well add a center peg between the flippers while they're at it.

I don't think star posts take up any less ball space. It takes the same sized rubber. And the tapered part at bottom goes under the ball. I think they are a cosmetic difference only.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I don't think star posts take up any less ball space. It takes the same sized rubber. And the tapered part at bottom goes under the ball. I think they are a cosmetic difference only.

Yup. I do like the look of star posts more as well. Plus you can put post flashers under them for those who think ACDC is not bright enough to begin with lol.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Ah, then I was thinking of something different because what I was thinking of definitely takes bigger rubber.

Aren't these star posts here? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=316

#12 7 years ago

I moved mine in, and honestly I don't think it made that much of a difference. While I like to keep my games setup as stock as much as I can, I don't feel that it makes the game that much easier, so they're going to stay that way for now.

I also decided to leave my software/gameplay options stock.. I talked to a few people that set it up a little easier to help with progression but I don't feel it's necessary at this point.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Khabbi:

I moved mine in, and honestly I don't think it made that much of a difference. While I like to keep my games setup as stock as much as I can, I don't feel that it makes the game that much easier, so they're going to stay that way for now.
    I also decided to leave my software/gameplay options stock.. I talked to a few people that set it up a little easier to help with progression but I don't feel it's necessary at this point.

I agree with all of this (as I stated above, don't notice much if any difference with the posts moved in) and no way am I going to make any of those settings easier. The fact that it is difficult is one of the things that keeps me pressing that damn start button. The pin has a perfect balance with the code and scoring the way it is, even though I doubt that I will ever see Encore.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Ah, then I was thinking of something different because what I was thinking of definitely takes bigger rubber.
    Aren't these star posts here? http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=316

Those are double star posts. They will take more room due to the lower rubber. These are singles. They should have the same ball foot print as a stern black post with a middle rubber
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=315

#15 7 years ago

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Premium, played one a few weeks ago briefly and liked what I saw. I am concerned though that I would find it more frustrating than fun given the fact that my pinball skills are not stellar. How punishing is it compared to something like STTNG?

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Premium, played one a few weeks ago briefly and liked what I saw. I am concerned though that I would find it more frustrating than fun given the fact that my pinball skills are not stellar. How punishing is it compared to something like STTNG?

It's definitely punishing if you don't hit the shots. Luckily the shots are very makable. You will have plenty of bad games that piss you off, then you will have a great game that kicks ass and that will keep you coming back for more torture (to quote Ritchie himself)!

It's a love/hate type thing and I love it! Most addicting pin I've ever owned.

#17 7 years ago

STNG outlanes are tough but ACDC is tougher because its much faster. It's addictive though and you'll improve playing it...

#18 7 years ago

Glad I'm not the only one who gets really pissed off at a drain after a cannon shot.

Here's the thing about AC/DC. It can be the most brutal game I have ever played..sometimes it just doesn't seem fair. Then you have a game where you are hitting your shots and choke trying to make that last ramp shot for multi-ball or hit the bell and sit there helplessly as the ball gets smacked sdtm.

Why is taking such a beating fun? Cause the game makes you think and use strategy when picking your shots and song selections.

There is no way I am cheating those outlanes in anymore than they already are. I've had my share of great games so I know it's possible to get even better. AFM was the same way until you learned the flow.

1 year later
    #19 6 years ago

Just wondering, but how do you actually adjust this? Mine is all the way open.. meaning both left and right are as wide as they get. I want to move it to the smallest position. Kind of looks like you can possibly pull the peg out by hand vertically and just re-insert it into the lower peg. Wasn't sure if it was held in on the bottom with anything.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

STTNG feels like the outlanes are closed off compared to AC/DC! I play STTNG for a relaxing game now.

I still have the defaults for the outlanes, and I don't think it would make much of a difference. I can usually see it coming from halfway across the playfield and know I can't do anything about it.

I have over 300 games on mine, and I have only managed 98 million so far. Most games are under 20 million.

#21 6 years ago

I cant really say that the outlanes are all that brutal on my premium from the latest run. At least not when comparing it to STTNG, which are downright evil in their own trapezoid sorto way. I have started to nudge quite a bit on all machines, but how much can you really nudge STTNG?

Quoted from bub2010:

Wasn't sure if it was held in on the bottom with anything.

Yes. Lift the playfield and all will be revealed. Brownie points awarded for wanting to close them back up some but you might want to have that swear jar handy.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from bub2010:

Just wondering, but how do you actually adjust this? Mine is all the way open.. meaning both left and right are as wide as they get. I want to move it to the smallest position. Kind of looks like you can possibly pull the peg out by hand vertically and just re-insert it into the lower peg. Wasn't sure if it was held in on the bottom with anything.

You need a nut driver and a screw driver for the plastic ones with the screw on top and you have to work it from both sides of the playfield. The metal ones in ACDC may just screw out? I've left mine at factory, so I couldn't tell you!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10,999.00
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 27.99
    Playfield - Protection
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 7.00
    $ 89.99
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 27.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 7.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside