Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by hank35
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm having a very intermittent and odd issue regarding the ball when it enters the jukebox.

For the most part, the machine sees the ball and releases it. Sometimes it's a hard kick and sometimes it barely pushes it out.

Using a pinball, the machine reads the switch open and closed in switch test, and the coil is strong in coil test. I've never seen a problem where this coil doesn't angrily launch the ball out when using the skill shot.

Last night, the ball just stayed in the coil. Machine goes through ball search and nothing. Staring at the ball to see what it's doing or not doing makes me notice the coil is firing but only enough to move the ball, but not pulse hard enough to remove the ball.

I've reseated switch connectors and coil connectors to the jukebox. The problem seemed to go away, but I'm convinced it will return. I've read others having this issue too, but didn't really find a solution.

I've also noticed when the jukebox is lit for song change, that if you shoot it, it sometimes doesn't activate this feature but still releases the ball. So if it's switch related, the machine knows it's there to release the ball but it doesn't know it's there to activate song change? This is the weird intermittent part.

Thanks in advance.

p.s.
The double cannon fix has held up well and works like a charm.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-two-ball-cannon-ramp-fix

#2 11 years ago

Yup , I have the problem too. Playing with the blade seems to get a good response. Sometimes nothing happens and I have to wiggle the machine and then is sees the ball and activates.

#3 11 years ago

Follow up. I have an email out to Patrick at Stern. Will see what he says. In the mean time, I've performed some more tests, which are below. Maybe I'm missing something simple. I can't figure it out though.

I’ve reseated both J10 and J17 for the coil and both connectors associated with switch 37.
In switch test, with a ball attached to a telescoping magnet, the switch is registering 100% before the ball even rests on plunger area, so I can’t see this as the issue.

In game over, glass off, coin door closed, if I drop a ball in the juke, it kicks the ball out about 75% of the time to the right gate, like it should.
The rest of the time it just sits in the juke, or if I’m lucky it pulses the ball repeatedly until it trickles down the left exiting gate.

Any input or ideas? Again, thanks for your time.

#4 11 years ago

Spoke with Chas today who is sending out another switch. He recommended doing a factory reset too to see if that helps. To me, it really sounded like he was hearing this issue for the first time. I could be wrong. Maybe those with similar issues should call Stern and voice their concern.

#5 11 years ago

same thing sometimes happens with mine, and a few others from reading previous threads. At least it kicks out on the second ball search though, enough time for a sip of coffee or a chug on a beer which is fine unless I miss out on a song change or something. Dunno what causes it, maybe it's something to do with having variable power? (req for the skill shot where you hold the flipper down after plunging the ball).

#6 11 years ago

it's the switch in the jukebox. I had the same issue and posted about it. call Chaz at stern and order a new switch. there has been a number of defective switches. initially the switch fires but as its depressed it opens. you can try and justing the leaf spring.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

it's the switch in the jukebox. I had the same issue and posted about it. call Chaz at stern and order a new switch. there has been a number of defective switches. initially the switch fires but as its depressed it opens. you can try and justing the leaf spring.

Has the issue come back after you replaced the switch? After replacing the switch, would you say the kickout is pretty consistent? I'm hoping so, as this is the last issue with this machine that I haven't (yet) been able to figure out.

Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 12.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-weak-juke-box-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.