New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 28256)

ACDC vs TAF ......does one hold up better than the other?

By Max_Badazz

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinballlooking
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Adding one more game..... which has longer lasting appeal?”

• ACDC Pro - it kicks butt and has depth you won't get tired of 20 votes
    38%
  • TAF : classic that is a long time keeper (ACDC music will get old) 27 votes
    51%
  • Niether :Go get a NGG 6 votes
    11%

(53 votes)

#1 8 years ago

I have the option of getting either an ACDC Pro (used) or a TAF (has a flipper issue and loud thing motor). Assuming both are roughly the same price, which would you choose? I had a TAF years ago and regret selling it. However the few games of ACDC I have played, its pretty damn good.

Since everyone has probably played TAF enough to judge it, those that own ACDC, is it better? Going LE/Prem. on it is not an option (Pro only). After talking with a friend of mine that has a Premium, his feedback leads me to favor ACDC....any other opinions will be appreciated

This next purchase is filling my final slot in the gameroom, and I am sick of getting games that I get bored of 4-6 months later.

#2 8 years ago

ACDC will def hold up as the best music pin ever made (LE) but I would not touch the pro with a 6 foot stick if I had to choose between that and TAF. TAF is better in everyway and what is kinda sad is that it was made 21 years ago and still shits on ACDC. You will not get bored of TAF but you will of ACDC since every mode is basically the same... Complete 8 shots/objectives, start a new song, complete 8 shots/objectives, start a new song.... blah blah blah blah blah blah

#3 8 years ago

Me personally, if I had the cash I would get TAF because I have wanted one for a while now. but I also love ACDC and would definitely consider a pro if one came up.

Get the game that YOU want. they are both awesome and we can't make that decision for you.
Two games at COMPLETE opposite ends of the spectrum.

#4 8 years ago

Apples and Oranges...from another planet.

Quoted from RGR:

TAF is better in everyway and what is kinda sad is that it was made 21 years ago and still shits on ACDC. You will not get bored of TAF but you will of ACDC since every mode is basically the same... Complete 8 shots/objectives, start a new song, complete 8 shots/objectives, start a new song.... blah blah blah blah blah blah

The kneejerk reaction is to respond "TAF is also just Mansion, ramp, complete objectives, Mansion, ramp, complete objectives, limp it into Greed every once in a while"...but that doesn't do TAF justice at all...and AC/DC is vastly better and more involved than what you're implying.

The OP is just gonna have to play and decide.

#5 8 years ago

lol, well the modes in TAF are all diff... The multiball has jackpots that are actually worth going for in terms of points and player reward with sounds and light shows. You actually have to re-light them rather than the usual Stern lets keep them lit all the time.... boring boring. TAF also has far better shots on the playfield with better combos. The multiplier shot is difficult, rewarding and informative.

One of the best parts about TAF is the lack of rejects from shots made eg: the vault, graveyard and thing/lock. TAF is great for the beginner and the expert and rules that are EASY to understand. Most players dont know shit about the rules for ACDC and imo the lack of shots make it boring as buggery. TAF sold 20k+ games for a reason. ACDC is only a good seller for the music and the fans. The playfield (made of chinese parts) make this game about as boring as IJ4.

Not trolling here but since the op wanted an opinion I feel obliged to tell them.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

ACDC will def hold up as the best music pin ever made (LE) but I would not touch the pro with a 6 foot stick if I had to choose between that and TAF. TAF is better in everyway and what is kinda sad is that it was made 21 years ago and still shits on ACDC. You will not get bored of TAF but you will of ACDC since every mode is basically the same... Complete 8 shots/objectives, start a new song, complete 8 shots/objectives, start a new song.... blah blah blah blah blah blah

I got bored with TAF, after 5 months

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

ACDC is only a good seller for the music and the fans.

I don't give 2 craps about ACDC and love the pin. Fun and intense.

#8 8 years ago

Owned TAF for 5 years, one of my all-time favorite pins and hope to pick up another at some point.

Currently own ACDC Pro (for 5 months), it is far and away my all-time favorite pin. I literally did not touch any of my other 6 games for the first month I had ACDC...a completely unprecedented level of neglect (usually it's a day or two, maybe three or four at the most). I have owned quite a few pins and none that I have owned or even played compares to the adrenaline rush, there is a reason people refer to it as pinball crack.

Lots of love for TAF, but I highly recommend ACDC Pro. I get why the LE owners bag on it but in a vacuum (if Premium/LE did not exist) I think the Pro would garner a great deal more respect.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

I don't give 2 craps about ACDC and love the pin. Fun and intense.

Its the music that makes it fun... not the game. But look if you like it thats great. The sales from this game have been great for pinball, just think they could have done more with it.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Its the music that makes it fun... not the game

Not for me

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Its the music that makes it fun... not the game

The music is well integrated into the total package so it definitely does enhance gameplay, but the game itself is extremely well done. The Pro version is probably the fastest game of all time...couple that with smooth ramps, ability to backhand most any shot and a high difficulty factor and you've got yourself a pretty great pin, music or not.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

The music is well integrated into the total package so it definitely does enhance gameplay, but the game itself is extremely well done. The Pro version is probably the fastest game of all time...couple that with smooth ramps, ability to backhand most any shot and a high difficulty factor and you've got yourself a pretty great pin, music or not.

Lol this is coming from someone with the Mansion wizard mode in their avatar

ACDC might be fun for some but this is a thread about comparing it to TAF and which would be better to own.... Too many things to achieve on TAF.... Double/Triple jackpot, completing Seance/Tunnel Hunt, Mansion wiz mode then completing again, Train wrecks, 99 bear kicks....

ACDC: Song jackpot. lol. Encore is far to difficult to get to for the novice/intermediate player. No reason to make it this difficult.

Oh and lets not forget the thing flips feature. One of the coolest in pinball. Innovations in ACDC for a game that they said they were going all out on 21 years after TAF???? 0

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Lol this is coming from someone with the Mansion wizard mode in their Avatar []

As I said previously, TAF is one of my favorites. ACDC is just that good. But it's more of an adrenaline pumping, fury inducing, just-one-more-game type of a pin. If that's not your thing then that's not your thing.

Your ratings on IM, Tron and LOTR (along with this conversation of course) tells me that we clearly don't have the same taste in pins. But hey, half the pins I own are one everyone's suck-list so to each their own

#14 8 years ago

LOTR great pin, plenty of different things to go for on that. Dont get me started on IM or Tron lol. Yeah I guess if you like a fast continuous flowing game than ACDC aint bad (HS2 for me). Def good to have in a bar.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Dont get me started on IM or Tron lol.

You should get started on IM, because I think it's better than sliced bread. In fact, it's the bee's knees, ankles and hips.

#16 8 years ago

Lol "get started" means having a rant about the game.... not actually playing it. Although may I say that the layout is almost identical to ACDC.... and Xmen is the reverse of Tron...

#17 8 years ago

AC/DC is good, but GNR is still the best Music pin ever made. TAF just has great toys, great layout and fun modes. TAF all the way.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

AC/DC is good, but GNR is still the best Music pin ever made. TAF just has great toys, great layout and fun modes. TAF all the way.

Had a GnR and while I thought it was a fun pin ACDC blows it away in Sounds, Ruleset & gameplay.

#19 8 years ago

I've never had a chance to get my hands on an AC/DC yet but I've owned TAF for over 3 years and still love to play that game. Honestly, I don't think you'll go wrong either way here.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Its the music that makes it fun... not the game.

C'mon...you could say that about any game, really. Try turning the sound off on any DMD era game.

Sound & music make ALL games more fun.

Anyway, I love my AC/DC Premium & Addams...but I'd take Addams over AC/DC Pro. Premium or bust!

#21 8 years ago

Yeah thats true however given the bland playfield and lack of toys/ shots I really think that if the same playfield was released with a different theme (RS) then it would not have sold nearly as well.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

This is good to hear..... I had GNR for a bit over a year and got sick of the game, partially because of the music ( and I love gnr). My concern is that will ACDC's layout and rules hold up to 400 games a year without getting old

#23 8 years ago

I am not sure this is even a fair comparison.

TAF is a tried and true classic game that has entertained people for 20+ years and is the best seller of all time. AC/DC has barely been out 20 weeks and is selling like hot cakes, but it is not in TAF's league as far as sales.

That is not to say AC/DC will not be a great game 20 years from now, but it is WAY too early to make any long-term predictions.

In the art department (what counts IMO while the game is not being played), I think TAF is a much better looking pin all around (not a fan of the mustard gold edition, though).

The gameplay of TAF and AC/DC can hardly be compared. AC/DC is fast and furious with energized music/lighting adding to the intensity, whereas TAF is more relaxed with satisfying shot patterns encouraging people enjoy the ride, and watch the SHOW TIME.

TAF offers a long-range goal that is quite obtainable for all skill levels. Most players/owners will eventually see the prize (Tour the Mansion). AC/DC offers ENCORE that may be out of reach for most players, but will keep the interest of many owners/players for a while in the quest to reach it.

Both types of games can be undesirable long-term. Eventually a TAF owner may start to think how many times could I Tour the Mansion in one game, and an AC/DC owner starts to wonder if ENCORE is even beatable on factory settings without adding in extra balls, so why bother.

TAF may not hold one's interest for years and years based on its relative simplicity (which to me therein lies the genius-simple and fun with satisfying shots). However the genius of AC/DC is addiction: drain, drain, drain, good game but way short of ENCORE, drain, drain, I'll get it this time-NOPE, drain, drain, good game maybe a little closer to ENCORE, drain, drain, decent score but damn this is hard to beat, drain drain, I GOTTA PLAY ONE MORE.

I am not sure people are going to enjoy getting clobbered like that for 20 years but in the short term, it will keep a player coming back. I like that challenge in a pin, but will I like it the same way 20 years from now? Check back with me in 2032.

The newness of any pin wears off. In a game like TAF with a decade of ownership and 20 years of playing it, yes, I've seen everything over and over and over, yet I am still drawn to it. I can truly say TAF is a keeper. I also own many of the latest releases and love the challenge of the new games, the extreme complexity of the rules that some games offer, the hard-to-reach wizard modes etc.

But in short, despite my addiction to the new pins, if TAF and AC/DC are my choices, I am sticking with TAF.

#24 8 years ago

taf but it's clunky and you most likey be sick of it in 6 months. as far as acdc, you'll get sick of hearing the same songs unless you hack/mod other songs/bands into it. it's doable. still wouldn't touch the pro on this one. no offense to pro owners. prem is the way to go.

#25 8 years ago

Any pin can get a bit boring after 6-12 months of heavy playing. I agree with many above that TAF is a better pin over the pro and maybe even premium when you factor in the rules, design, art, sound as a whole (I've only owned my premium for 1 month so its too new to tell how log it will stay).

I've had over 45 different pins (similar to your list of past games owned) in 10 years and only a few would be on my long term keeper list. My keeper list would be different than most everyone's keeper list. At this point, neither TAF or ACDC makes the top 5 but its my list.

The indicator here for you is that you had TAF once and got rid of it. Find another and play it for an hour and see if its nostalgia or real regret.

For me, ACDC is a really fun, fast, frustrating (good) pin but the kicker is that I really like the music.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

C'mon...you could say that about any game, really. Try turning the sound off on any DMD era game.
Anyway, I love my AC/DC Premium & Addams...but I'd take Addams over AC/DC Pro. Premium or bust!

+1

#27 8 years ago

Premium is out....I am looking to pick up a slightly routed pro. Is the prem really deal breaker? I luckily preordered Tron LE and avoided the high prices. After playing the pro a ton on vacation, I enjoyed it just as much as the left. I am thinking ACDC prem will be the same....flashier, but not a necessity.

Life's decisions..... worrying about what game to get.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Premium is out....I am looking to pick up a slightly routed pro. Is the prem really deal breaker? I luckily preordered TRON LE and avoided the high prices. After playing the pro a ton on vacation, I enjoyed it just as much as the left. I am thinking ACDC prem will be the same....flashier, but not a necessity.

Do you have a bunch of time on a premium? I think that's the key...people that have or have played a lot on a premium will much of the time notice what's not on the pro and walk away going "meh". But if you haven't played premium a bunch then you literally won't know what you are missing. The pro most certainly holds its own....go ahead and try and find a pro owner that doesn't love it.

I still only have one short session in on a premium so I didn't have a chance to see what it can do, but if it really is that much better than the pro it will probably blow my mind.

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What he said. I own both Addams & BIB. Neither one will ever leave the game room

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

The newness of any pin wears off. In a game like TAF with a decade of ownership and 20 years of playing it, yes, I've seen everything over and over and over, yet I am still drawn to it.

Well said, pinballcorpse. One other TAF observation is that you'll always be able to find a buyer, should you ever want to sell it. And you'll probably be able to sell it for as much or more than you paid (unless you grossly overpay). TAF has a 20 year history of being in demand. AC/DC . . . I have yet to play. But, it sounds like it's a winner from what I have heard. Will it still be in demand 5 years, 10 years, etc. from now? Probably. But with TAF, that question has already been answered.
Hope this helps.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Had a GnR and while I thought it was a fun pin ACDC blows it away in Sounds, Ruleset & gameplay.

Disagree on all accounts. GNR's rules are better. Sounds are just as good. This is when DE had true stereo. They were always the best on sound, until sega bought them and went super cheapo.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Disagree on all accounts. GNR's rules are better.

I;'d go GNR all day on that one.

#33 8 years ago

TAF for me but both good games.
The fact that a 20 year old pin can stand toe to toe with a brand new one should speak volumes.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Disagree on all accounts. GNR's rules are better. Sounds are just as good. This is when DE had true stereo. They were always the best on sound, until sega bought them and went super cheapo.

Stereo - but, still sounds like a tinny radio with iffy reception. AC/DC may be mono, but it's crystal clear "real" music and not low fi samples and MIDI. Don't get me wrong, I actually LIKE that about 90's games...it gives them a sense of time & place, and makes them a bit retro and video-gamey - but AC/DC's sound blows any DE out of the water.

Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Premium is out....I am looking to pick up a slightly routed pro. Is the prem really deal breaker? I luckily preordered TRON LE and avoided the high prices. After playing the pro a ton on vacation, I enjoyed it just as much as the left. I am thinking ACDC prem will be the same....flashier, but not a necessity.

I hate to be superficial but that "flash" goes a LONG way. The swinging bell rules!!! The color changing GI & inserts are just SO cool, the dancing band may look cheesey but it gets me really pumped up when they start jamming w/ the beat during multiball. The swinging bell is awesome. I like the lower PF and that's extra rules during multiple songs that the Pro won't have. Rumor points toward a multiball w/ the lower & main playing at the same time in a future update. I hate the big Angus face, but you may not.

OK, as for the rules and whether it will get boring. Personally, I don't think so - because there are many ways to choose to play and lots of strategy that I haven't even quite figured out yet, and I probably have 300 or so plays on it. You can choose to do really well on one song for jackpot strategies or to get on that song's high score table...or you can try to play through as many as you can to get to Encore (VERY HARD IMO!!!). There are 3 stackable Multiballs...so you can go for the lit one or try to get all 3 at once, like BSD! The Multiball Super Jackpot is a very fun and satisfying goal that keeps me coming back - you have to shoot the bell with the cannon to get the SJP, and that's super fun...and I can't imagine hitting the standup target behind the static bell is as fun....oh wait, I'm going back to why the Premium rules...sorry...hehe.

Anyway, I like Addams as well...but it's more of your standard game rules. Start mode at scoop, play mode, repeat 'till wizard...lock balls for Multiball. It's fun and obviously most games in the 90's ripped off its mode style. I was wary of AC/DC's Jukebox rules at first...but now I love them and I'm glad they went that route. It makes it extremely unique which is hard to do in pinball these days, when designers tend to just go with what's worked in the past.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Pinaball machines that come in stereo? Gadzooks... is it from THE FUTURE?

#36 8 years ago

Well as an update, I am going to pursue the used ACDC Pro. Since opinions are nearly a draw for each side, it came down to:

- I dumped my TAF years ago partially because it was a beater and I wanted to get a nice one (and I got a near mint POTC for it). The one I was looking into getting was a regular one (routed) with some minor issues and some cosmetic flaws

- My daughter who I thought wanted TAF (she loves the movies) told me to get ACDC...yes she has good taste for music as a 4th grader since she always hears my fine tunes in the car (GnR, ACDC, VH, Led Zep, etc)

Since I try to get games she will play, ACDC will win this round

Thx for all the opinions

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Disagree on all accounts. GNR's rules are better.

I can't think of a single way that GnR's rules are better than AC/DC's. ZERO. AC/DC has tons of stacking, multipliers, is deeper, combo's with super combo's, and frankly is way more challenging. That's not to say that GnR is bad, but the rules are definitely GnR's weakest point.

Back to the original question, it somewhat depends how good of a player and what kind of player you are. If you like a constant challenge then AC/DC is it. If you prefer an easier game that's more relaxed, than TAF.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Well as an update, I am going to pursue the used ACDC Pro.

Good choice.
I Have a TAF I have had for a long time I also have an AC/DC Pro. I would go AC/DC Pro.
AC/DC Pro is a great game the pretty much the only people that bash it are the people that don’t own it. I am not sure why some LE and premium owners have to bash it.
My boys are fourth grade and fifth grade and they both love AC/DC and play it a lot more than TAF.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
$ 35.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside