• LOTR LE 5 votes
    7%
  • ACDC Pro 3 votes
    4%
  • ACDC LE/BIB ect 35 votes
    47%

(75 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

Was surprised to see that there hasn't been one of these done. I say LOTR all day every day.

#3 11 years ago

Why surprised?

They are so different that it doesn't really make much sense to compare them.

One is fast with shorter ball times, one is more methodical with long ball times. I have them both here right now (LOTR on loan). AC/DC is far more addicting to me. Won't fire up LOTR unless I have a good amount of time to play it.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why surprised?
They are so different that it doesn't really make much sense to compare them.
One is fast with shorter ball times, one is more methodical with long ball times. I have them both here right now (LOTR on loan). AC/DC is far more addicting to me. Won't fire up LOTR unless I have a good amount of time to play it.

+1

Same here, both good games but play AC/DC 10x more.

#5 11 years ago

I hear this addiction quality used a lot as a plus for AC/DC. Its an ok game and very addictive,If you had asked me when it first came out I would have said AC/DC all the way, but I guess I would go for quality rather than quantity.
I mean shit if we are basing things on addictive quality lets all go out and buy some smack. I hear chasing the dragon is a very addictive game.

#6 11 years ago

Both are deep but LOTR has more shots... LOTR looks better as well. Always said that the ultimate Stern pin of late would be the looks of Tron, sound and strategy of ACDC and the PF shots of Xmen..

#7 11 years ago

Why is LOTR a separate option from LOTRLE?

It's the same game, just a gold dick beard translite separates the two.

In that case there should be 4 ACDC options.

Heck why is ACDC Pro on there?

Why not LOTR vs ACDC LE/Prem? I can't see anyone saying the Pro surpasses the Premium.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Why is LOTR a separate option from LOTRLE?
It's the same game, just a gold dick beard translite separates the two.

It makes sense to give the people who really like penises and pinball together their own separate option.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

I hear this addiction quality used a lot as a plus for AC/DC. Its an ok game and very addictive,If you had asked me when it first came out I would have said AC/DC all the way, but I guess I would go for quality rather than quantity.
I mean shit if we are basing things on addictive quality lets all go out and buy some smack. I hear chasing the dragon is a very addictive game.

I have no idea what your point is.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

Was surprised to see that there hasn't been one of these done.

It was done already. Only a week ago ...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/final-showdown-lotr-vs-acdc-premium

#11 11 years ago

LoTR ultimately wins. However, in a small pin lineup - ACDC wins.

#12 11 years ago

LOTR was my fav until BIB came into the house. LOTR is collecting dust now I'm sure ill get back to it,but can't get away from the rush of AC/DC.

#13 11 years ago

Yeah...and that was the FINAL showdown. LOL! LOTR handily won.

#14 11 years ago

A better pole would be AC/DC,GnR,Rolling Stones,& Tommy. Comparing LOTR to AC/DC is like comparing MLB to the NBA. One is fast paced & one can go on all day. Both are great in their own way.

#15 11 years ago

I think LOTR has too long of ball times. It is a great game, no doubt, but eventually the ball should drain. I see AC/DC BIBLE as a LOTR with STTNG outlanes that bite you in the a$$. I think it is a much better balance of shots and ball lengths. I am not sure of the rule set comparison, as I have not kept a ball in play on BIBLE long enough to get there.

Sean

#16 11 years ago

Two totally different games. Would be a great two pin lineup, but comparing these two isn't fair to either one as they are complete opposite, yet fantastic games.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Two totally different games. Would be a great two pin lineup, but comparing these two isn't fair to either one as they are complete opposite, yet fantastic games.

+1

#18 11 years ago

I have a LOTR and an AC/DC right next to each other. LOTR is very very nice, AC/DC premium HUO.

It all depends on what type of player you are and how big your collection is.

LOTR has very very deep rules
AC/DC scores like no other game since 1978
LOTR is Fantasy
AC/DC edgier and in your face
LOTR Has decent flow
AC/DC is a flipfest
LOTR really doesn't have any toys
AC/DC has the cannon and a mini play field

I guess it all depends on what's best for you. For me personally, it's AC/DC. But for someone that loves the LOTR movies, it might be a different answer. I've never even seen the LOTR rings, I hate Fantasy and Sci-Fi but I love games with good flow and great rules.

#19 11 years ago

LOTR is easily the better pin. Not even a contest in my opinion. You have to compare AC/DC next to something like Spiderman IMO. LOTR is 100X better!

#20 11 years ago

LOTR wins easily.

#21 11 years ago

Have both and both are good games that go great together in a small collection. In my house, ACDC gets played 2 to 1 vs LOTR. If one was to leave, it would be LOTR.

#22 11 years ago

Stern's two best games to date in my opinion are AC/DC (LE) and LoTR (any version). Completely different games, but both are gems. If I was only able to keep one, it would be AC/DC as it is a much better multi-player game than LoTR.

#23 11 years ago

Not even close, it is TRS all the way baby! (where are you, rarehero???)

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

LOTR really doesn't have any toys

Really...so the RING that grabs the ball isn't a toy? The RING is one of the best toys Stern has put out IMO. Some would consider the limp noodle tower or the palintir a toy too...but I wouldn't.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from mickthepin:

Was surprised to see that there hasn't been one of these done. I say LOTR all day every day.

??? There were the head to head cage matches with multiple rounds a couple months back and LOTR won.....over ACDC (in the finals) and everything else....for best Stern.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Really...so the RING that grabs the ball isn't a toy? The RING is one of the best toys Stern has put out IMO. Some would consider the limp noodle tower or the palintir a toy too...but I wouldn't.

....and the Balrog is a pretty cool bash toy.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

....and the Balrog is a pretty cool bash toy.

Balrog is pretty nice...

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Balrog is a pretty cool bash toy

...and the Balrog! How could I forget about that? I wish the Balrog popped up from the playfield like Iron Monger instead of sloppily swinging out.

#29 11 years ago

Sword lock. Lots of bitchin' stuff on LOTR.

#30 11 years ago

AC/DC wins no contest. LOTR is fun and I had one for a while. I am not really into 30min + games any more.
AC/DC you can play with a couple people and have fun you can also do this with TRON. LOTR just has too long ball times. It gets to be more like work than fun.

AC/DC has much better flippers than LOTR.

#31 11 years ago

Both are great pins. I sold my HUO LOTR to help pay for my ACDC Premium. I personally like ACDC better, but I also had LOTR for like 6 or 7 years to enjoy before moving it.

#32 11 years ago

I love both, but AC/DC feels like it has better build quality. Yes, I just said that.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Ninefingers:

I love both, but AC/DC feels like it has better build quality. Yes, I just said that.

Now that's something I didn't expect to hear.

#34 11 years ago

I own both an AC/DC Premium and a standard LOTR. My top two games, and both will be the last to leave my collection if I ever decided to sell up.

AC/DC Premium just edges it due to the fantastic lightshow, rockin' soundtrack, and colour-changing LEDs, but LOTR excels for the sheer depth of the rule-set and for when I want a truely immersive epic game of pinball. If I was comparing AC/DC Pro and LOTR then LOTR would win.

Two totally different games, and I feel lucky to have both.

#35 11 years ago

I also currently own both games . AC/DC LTBR and standard HUO 2003 run of LOTR. Both are excellent games for different reasons but if value was the same and I could only keep one AC/DC would be the one.

Its just a game that keeps calling you back for more. And lets remember that the code is not even finished yet. , Hobbs

#36 11 years ago

Not surprising, since LOTR had its honeymoon period in 2004. The fact that its even a debate says alot more about LOTR than about ACDC.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

LOTR is easily the better pin. Not even a contest in my opinion. You have to compare AC/DC next to something like spiderman IMO. LOTR is 100X better!

That's kinda funny since I've seen most people who actually own both seem to lean towards ACDC.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Not surprising, since LOTR had its honeymoon period in 2004. The fact that its even a debate says alot more about LOTR than about ACDC.

Don't really agree with this. People who have been around pinball long enough can recognize when something special comes along. Some of the best players in the world (KME, Bowen) have given glowing reviews on the game and it still has more to come. SM which is considered one of the better Sterns took a couple years to really be appreciated for the game it is yet ACDC was considered a hit even from its early stage code. Much better things to come! I just hope future Stern games can come close too the level of fun that ACDC gives us.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, AR
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-v-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.