Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Av8
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Oh yeah. Bowen makes it look easy. ACDC LEDs look great. Bounce back, Triple stack MB and HUGE Jackpots.

http://www.sternpinball.com/Media/Videos/instructional-series/acdc-tutorial.aspx

http://vimeo.com/49457833

#2 11 years ago

Cool, thanks for the post! It's (as said below) the same vid as the one from papa, so no new video, just a new link. Thanks anyway

#3 11 years ago

This brings up a small point about forum etiquette. This came out yesterday I think and I bet a bunch of people thought "hmmm, I bet everyone has seen this so I won't post it." Post away people as soon as you see stuff great vid. i finally broke down and texted JJ yesterday about a premium. can't pay right now, have to pay it out...dammm the IRS and Oct 15th.

#4 11 years ago

It's the same video that was posted on the PAPA site last week.

#5 11 years ago

Bowen makes a comment about the 'War Machine' mode being the go to strategy @ the PAPA tournament (used by the top guys). Can anyone expand on this? Anyone witness it?

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

It's the same video that was posted on the PAPA site last week.

Thats what I was guessing. I could not imagine he did two videos so close together.

#7 11 years ago

Jump to 16:00 min to see VIP Pass used very well. And look at the TNT mode. Amazing color changing inserts that all turn yellow.

No wonder the the new code took a while to finish.

Also Bowen hits it on the head. "ACDC is constantly having you make decisions". That is what I like about pinball.

#8 11 years ago

I agree. Love the yellow look of the TNT mode.
Now that I have changed out my faulty LED under the train ramps musical note insert, the game looks even better. Nice to finally have all the colors match.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Now that I have changed out my faulty LED under the train ramps musical note insert, the game looks even better

I'm glad to hear that this has solved your problem with the LED color issue. I have two RGB inserts that have gone south, and Patrick has sent out a couple of new boards for me to try. THis game looks amazing now with the color change updates!

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Bowen makes a comment about the 'War Machine' mode being the go to strategy @ the PAPA tournament (used by the top guys). Can anyone expand on this? Anyone witness it?

No comment from current owners?

If I was to enter a tournament this weekend, never having played the pin, would this be a good strategy to concentrate on for big points? Is it the best song to start with?

#11 11 years ago

was wondering what the VIP was for.... great vid

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

If I was to enter a tournament this weekend, never having played the pin, would this be a good strategy to concentrate on for big points? Is it the best song to start with?

If you are good at hitting that left loop then yes probably would be a good one. The points start gettign really high if yout hit it enough times and its a fairly sage shot. Only thing is you wont be building up the FIRE lanes much doing that. One thing you could probably do is shoot this a ton get lots of points and work up a decent song jackpot, then switch songs to TNT which comes up pretty early in the multiball jackpots to collect.

#13 11 years ago

Some players pick "War Machine All Day" as their go-to strategy. It definitely relies on a particular skill: shotmaking, then recovery from the right loop return. For players who can live catch or loop pass, this is a strong strategy that ensures a solid score.

I tend toward the "nearest multiball" strategy, picking songs that are in cahoots with whatever multiball I'm playing for. At the start of a competitive game, I am most likely to pick Highway to Hell since I can get a pile of free points from the underplayfield while I am working toward the first Jam Multiball. But after that multiball, it's flexible -- what is close? When a Tour Multiball is close, I will take War Machine. When an Album Multiball is close, I will take TNT.

At PAPA 15, with the previous software, I picked "For Those About To Rock" and played it continuously. The reason for doing this was that the cannon would fire the right ramp, making progress toward Jam Multiball significantly easier than normal. In my qualifying run I played at least 8 or 9 Jam Multiballs, the last few of which took the maximum 20 ramps to qualify.

Is that what I do in an arcade? Hell no, it's boring and silly. But in competitive play only the score matters. I am glad that AC/DC offers players a lot of good scoring methods, instead of one clearly "best" way to play the game.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I'm by no means an expect at ACDC but if you're new to the game, yes, I would recommend it. However, if the tourney format is an unlimited qualifier it probably won't be enough on its own unless the competition is equally new to the game.

War Machine scores pretty well if the spinner is nice and spinny, plus you're working toward Tour multiball. You notice in the video Bowen talks about hitting the object shot for a song mode, but then hitting some other shot, since hitting the same object shot over and over is crappy points. War Machine still scores well if you get a good spinner rip and shoot it over and over. If you can get 2x going at the bell, each war machine spinner rip can net you 3M+ points once the value is up.

On all the ACDC's I've played, you can backhand the spinner easily, and the fore hand is not hard either.

I think the newer software nerfed war machine a bit but it's still pretty valuable.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Some players pick "War Machine All Day" as their go-to strategy. It definitely relies on a particular skill: shotmaking, then recovery from the right loop return. For players who can live catch or loop pass, this is a strong strategy that ensures a solid score.

I've witnessed this first hand in tournaments here. Start war machine, left loop all day to rack up the song jackpot to around 30M or so, start 2x or preferably 3x scoring, load the cannon, collect song jackpot. BOOM. 100M points easy.

#16 11 years ago

Thanks all for the replies.

Prior to tournaments that rely on big scoring, I try to ferret out one strategy that will help me boost score and stick to it.

The last tourney I was in was strictly EM's, of which I had 0 previous experience with. I showed up early and studied all the play fields, looking for the points. I ended up winning in the end, wrapping the reel on one pin. It was a fun night! I will be defending that title later in the year.

#17 11 years ago

Holy smokes! Anyone else notice Bowen does a death save at 10:35 and doesn't miss a beat on the commentary?

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Holy smokes! Anyone else notice Bowen does a death save at 10:35 and doesn't miss a beat on the commentary?

Yep. Amazing.
He did it on the previous video as well.

#19 11 years ago

Yep love his Death saves..

#20 11 years ago

I just put up one of my best adrenline fueled ACDC Pro games ever after watching video. 242 Million. Made it through 5 songs. IT IS NOT EASY. I used VIP Pass for Add a Ball twice.

I went Thunderstruck(Get the hard modes out of the way first), You shook me War machine and Rosie.

The game is quite balanced so no one sure strategy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
16,500 (Firm)
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-tutorial-vid-on-new-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.