(Topic ID: 19863)

AC/DC Tutorial by Bowen

By Signet145

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago

Great to hear Bowen's comments he's a legend in this house please keep having your say on Pinside.

#102 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I'm not a fan of having to fight for your life on almost every shot, apart from the relatively easy ramp shots.

All other things being equal (default settings, incline), ball times are much longer on AC/DC than games like IM or BBH. The only reason so many here talk about short ball times is because as soon as they take them out of the box, they install white rubbers, wax the playfield (at least once) and install Cliffy's. All of those things shorten ball times and make the game harder. AC/DC has shorter ball times than Spidey, but if you play smart, ball times can be quite long.

Quoted from StevenP:

I like games where advancement and modes are more clearly defined and distinguishable (a la LOTR or WPT, for example) and progress is evident, rather than a big mess of songs and albums and tours.

LOTR and WPT are Keith Johnson games. Lyman's programming is typically very different than Keith's. Lyman likes to make it all around harder on the player. Keith gives the player all the info he can handle, but makes the games ridiculously deep. Plus, because of the music on AC/DC, audible cues are much more subtle than a non-music game. Seemingly to make up for this, instant info has more info than a typical Lyman game. I like the fact that I've been playing a couple of different games for a month now (on location) and still have a lot to learn.

Quoted from StevenP:

Although I found that IM wasn't quite the drain monster as ACDC.

With default settings (including rake), IM will have much shorter ball times. Have you tried more than one example of each? Took me a long time to learn not to judge a game after only playing one example. Another consideration is that Stern's level bubbles have been getting much worse lately. Don't trust what you see through the playfield glass. Which brings me to...

Quoted from StevenP:

I still maintain that games are generally a bit *easier* when the pf slope is steeper.

This is incorrect and it seems to be becoming a pinball myth. 9 out of 10 games will get harder the steeper you make them. Next time you're at PAPA, take a walk through each bank and you'll find that A games are almost always noticeably steeper than B or C games.

Quoted from StevenP:

...but there's more of a feeling that your destiny is in your own hands, and less of a befuddlement of modes.

For a number of reasons, AC/DC is taking everyone, including Bowen, longer to figure out. This hasn't been the case for years. It should be celebrated, not denounced.

#103 11 years ago

Guys this thread is old news the X-Men video is out. AC/DC is a thing of that past and no good There is already someone bashing it on the X-men thread. I for one think they both are awesome wish I could have both But alas I choose AC/DC and I am loving it! I do enjoy the mode based games as well though sometimes I am not sure what I am trying to do in AC/DC but yet I still want to keep playing because I feel like I was so close to a monster game!

I definitely could use com clarity on the rules. Not sure how to get the various jackpots in particular super in multi ball!?

#104 11 years ago

Just broke 200 million!!!!!!! Holy crap!!! Big night for me : )

#106 11 years ago

Thats a good feeling when u break 200Mil. I have done it 3 times. And I feel like a just ran a 1K. Also want to do circles on the ground like angus. Key is double scoring and keeping the MB from one to the next. Flip like crazy.

Seems Stern is firing on all cylinders .. waiting for the miss fire. None in sight.

#107 11 years ago

Wow I just saw the video. I just played AC/DC a week ago for the first time and then watching this makes me want to get one. Maybe there will be a facey/dc in my future.

#108 11 years ago

Anyone figure out how to adjust the cannon to shoot up the right ramp for anyone having problems?

#109 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

All other things being equal (default settings, incline), ball times are much longer on AC/DC than games like IM or BBH. The only reason so many here talk about short ball times is because as soon as they take them out of the box, they install white rubbers, wax the playfield (at least once) and install Cliffy's. All of those things shorten ball times and make the game harder. AC/DC has shorter ball times than Spidey, but if you play smart, ball times can be quite long.

LOTR and WPT are Keith Johnson games. Lyman's programming is typically very different than Keith's. Lyman likes to make it all around harder on the player. Keith gives the player all the info he can handle, but makes the games ridiculously deep. Plus, because of the music on AC/DC, audible cues are much more subtle than a non-music game. Seemingly to make up for this, instant info has more info than a typical Lyman game. I like the fact that I've been playing a couple of different games for a month now (on location) and still have a lot to learn.

With default settings (including rake), IM will have much shorter ball times. Have you tried more than one example of each? Took me a long time to learn not to judge a game after only playing one example. Another consideration is that Stern's level bubbles have been getting much worse lately. Don't trust what you see through the playfield glass. Which brings me to...

This is incorrect and it seems to be becoming a pinball myth. 9 out of 10 games will get harder the steeper you make them. Next time you're at PAPA, take a walk through each bank and you'll find that A games are almost always noticeably steeper than B or C games.

For a number of reasons, AC/DC is taking everyone, including Bowen, longer to figure out. This hasn't been the case for years. It should be celebrated, not denounced.

My comments got blocked out and yours are still there. Anyway, I agree with several of your points. ACDC has a different type of ruleset, but after watching and playing a bunch (even 3/4 of Bowen's tutorial), I have little clue about picking a strategy or changing it on the fly. Plus, many of the modes seem to be very similar--I guess they needed to put in 12 songs' worth of modes in? I don't expect to know every rule of a game off the bat (I play EMs for that!) but it's nice to have some idea of what a game's purpose is. After maybe 20-30 ACDC games and watching the tutorial, I still am befuddled. And usually just the tutorial clears things up nicely!

I still believe a proper, relatively shallow pf slope is harder. Not a 'myth' imo but based on direct experience and experiments. When the ball tends to drop down to the flippers hard, it's easier to catch/trap and there's less side-to-side action. I've tried this on my own games--have you? A steep setting feels faster, but a shallower game leads to less ball control and more randomness on the same game. Games feel very different when you change the slope--a good way to shake up your collection! And when I want to make my games more challenging, I level them out a bit. If I want to make them faster, then steeper works. I was thinking of asking Kevin or one of the PAPA techs to do this side-by-side with a few pairs of games--set them up the same except that one game will have a shallow slope and one will have a steep one. I bet most players will like the steeper one and find the shallower one harder to play and do well at!

#110 11 years ago

I don't think most players prefer easy games. Pinside has a lot of newbs on it, but all the pinheads I know enjoy the challenge. Most of the guys I know look for pins that we can't beat the crap out of on the first night it's in our basement.

Quoted from StevenP:

I bet most players will like the steeper one and find the shallower one harder to play and do well at!

#111 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I don't think most players prefer easy games. Pinside has a lot of newbs on it, but all the pinheads I know enjoy the challenge. Most of the guys I know look for pins that we can't beat the crap out of on the first night it's in our basement.

Agreed who wants a game that's beaten on the first night, I had that with my TOM and now its gone.

#112 11 years ago

I am loving the game but must admit I am still a little lost at what to shoot for at times

#113 11 years ago

Looks like the video of Trent playing that Bowen referenced in this vid is now up on pinball.org. I'm checking it out now.

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/gameworks/gameworks-2012-acdc/

#114 11 years ago

What an incredible comeback by Trent!!! Great strategy. Im going to give it a try Thanks for posting.

Loving that im still learning new thing about this acccadacca.

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Guys this thread is old news the X-Men video is out. AC/DC is a thing of that past and no good

Haha - couldn't help but laugh when I read this, thanks Mandelbloom. Also, cool to see Bowen posting in the thread & glad to hear more tutorials are coming.

In case you haven't checked back recently, there's already a new Whirlwind tutorial posted and the vid of Trent playing AC/DC that Treborlicec references a few posts above.

3 months later
#116 11 years ago

Been trying to replicate the inlane ball stop technique, not sure what it is called, and can't get it to do it. When he backhands the ramp and then stops the ball in the same side flipper, then backhands the ramp again, then stops it, etc... How is this done? Whenever I try it the ball still rolls off the end of the flipper. Is it a timing thing, playfield steepness setting, the fact I am using black rubber?

#117 11 years ago

Sadly its not the rubber..its practiced skill. That man is plain sick!

#118 11 years ago

Yeah, hes good. But that technique looks so simple yet I cannot recreate it.

#119 11 years ago

Flip the flipper as soon as the ball reaches it. Act like you're trying to flip it into the slingshot. And know that it only works on some machines, notably Sterns; it does not appear to work at all on Bly/Wms games. Good luck!

#120 11 years ago

So it is a timing issue. Thanks. I will work on it. So far, I have not been successful.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

16,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 12.95
There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-tutorial-by-bowen/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.