(Topic ID: 126298)

ACDC targets not dropping when hit head on from cannon, fix anyone?

By pinballslave

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I have ACDC Luci and the only annoying thing that's happened a few times now is that when I hit the central target of the AC/DC targets, the target sometimes sits there as solid as a rock... yet if the ball so much as tickles it while it trickles past it; then it drops...

Anyone have the same issue?

More importantly, anyone have a solution for it??

#2 8 years ago

This is a long time Stern issue. My Met Pro does pretty much the same thing as did my ST Pro. You will find several fixes on pinside. Adjusting the springs seem to be the
most popular.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

You will find several fixes on pinside. Adjusting the springs seem to be the
most popular.

Any links to the best one

#4 8 years ago

Type in "Metallica Drop Target Repair" in the above Search the Forum. You will get a whole list of fixes. Should work for the ACDC.

#5 8 years ago

Mine does it too. I just learned where I need to hit, usually just a bit off center.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine does it too. I just learned where I need to hit, usually just a bit off center.

I learned to do the same thing too... Would be nice to fix it tho... If only to stop the insults at my poor aim when I hit it dead center!!

#7 8 years ago

Mine does this sometimes. Haven't been able to fix it yet.

#8 8 years ago

Mine didn't start doing it until I replaced the rubbers behind the drops. I went from, the original black ones to new clear ones. Happens about 40% of the time now on both banks. Frustrating.

#9 8 years ago

Every AC/DC I've played does this on occasion. It's difficult to fix given the design of the drop target. If you make it too easy to fall, then you risk it not resetting. I agree that adjusting the spring is the best option.

#10 8 years ago

Some times on older machines adding an additional rubber behind the drop targets helps the reduce drop target "brick syndrome" and reduces drop target breakage.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Some times on older machines adding an additional rubber behind the drop targets helps the reduce drop target "brick syndrome" and reduces drop target breakage.

I've been meaning to try this on my WPT. A hard shot to the front set of drops will often bounce right off. I've heard the double rubber trick could help with this.

#12 8 years ago

If you have a new machine, I would suggest that you just keep playing it.
My ACDC did this on occasion but doesn't anymore.
Just need to work in the targets.

#13 8 years ago

I wonder how it happens... it's very weird... the targets don't seem to move at all... it's not like they bounce back onto the latch before they have time to drop... they just don't move... yet a gentle shot will knock them down without an issue... I'm struggling to imagine how it's possible...

My Luci is 2nd hand, no idea how many games it has on it, uploaded new code when I got it and didn't think to check the audits to look at the mileage before I did it...

Quoted from Gov:

Mine didn't start doing it until I replaced the rubbers behind the drops. I went from, the original black ones to new clear ones. Happens about 40% of the time now on both banks. Frustrating.

So did you try putting the black rubbers back to see if it fixed it?

#14 8 years ago

I believe it is because of the target deflection when hit directly and strongly that is doesn't drop. Adding the extra rubber reduces the target deflection from heavy fast hits and it goes down. With reduced target deflection broken targets are reduced.

Black rubber is harder has less bounce than white rubber. Clear silicone I don't know, but as Gov has indicated may be softer with more bounce permitting more target deflection.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

I believe it is because of the target deflection when hit directly and strongly that is doesn't drop.

But when hit directly and strongly there appears to be no deflection... but why? And if it DOES deflect when hit directly and strongly (but simply happens too quick to be seen), then WHY doesn't it drop when it does drop when hit lightly?

I get that different rubbers affect it, which implies that deflection DOES happen, but why doesn't it drop if deflection happens regardless of what rubber is behind it?

Does it deflect and bounce back onto the latch? Seems like the most plausible explanation I guess... Only a hard hit could make it bounce back before the spring would have chance to pull it down... in which case a stronger pull-down spring could be the answer... or some energy adsorbing foam behind the target so it doesn't bounce back...

Maybe that's why the less bouncy black rubber is better at preventing the problem... What doesn't make sense there though is that the rubber behind the targets is a very long rubber which is free to move into a large space behind it... so even with less bouncy black rubber, it will still move out of the way and return to it's original position just like a bouncy white rubber... the bounciness of a rubber is only really relevant when the ball (or target in this case) hits it when it's in direct contact with a solid object, like a post, behind it... the rubber has to get compressed for its bounciness to be relevant... here it can't get compressed because of the massive space behind it.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So did you try putting the black rubbers back to see if it fixed it?

Not yet no.

#17 8 years ago

Black rubber isn't as stretchy as other rubber and provides a firmer backing to the targets.

The target deflecting may cause binding either against the wood of the playfield or metal of the drop mechanism. Only way to really know is a high speed camera.

This is a common problem with early SS Bally machines.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

The target deflecting may cause binding either against the wood of the playfield or metal of the drop mechanism. Only way to really know is a High Speed camera.

Now that would be cool!! The big question on my mind at the moment is: Does the target actually deflect (hence come off its latch) and get bounced back on the latch before it has a chance to get pulled down by the spring, or does it not even leave it's position (i.e. stays fully on the latch). When I see it happening, I'm kind of staring at the targets lining my shot up from the cannon, so I seem to be paying attention, and I don't seem to see them move at all, they are solid... so I don't think they even touch the rubber behind them... I will pay more attention next time!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

16,500 (Firm)
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-targets-not-dropping-when-hit-head-on-from-cannon-fix-anyone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.