(Topic ID: 45130)

AC/DC === Takes the #1 spot away from Medieval Madness?

By Beez

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jimjim66
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Great_Carnac.jpg
Great_Carnac.jpg
image.jpg
imagesCAWFOHA9.jpg
ipdb_screencap.png
image.jpg
ACDC_number_20.jpg
1555263226_lol_xlarge.jpeg
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

Well, the more people that play it, AC/DC Premium / LE contiues to move up the Top 100 charts! Currently sitting in the #8 Spot (3-28-2013) all that remains ahead of this dazzeling beauty is:

#7 Spider-Man Black
#6 The Addams Family
#5 Lord of the Rings
#4 Attach from Mars
#3 Monster Bash
#2 Twilight Zone
#1 Medieval Madness

Seems to me these Top 7 pins should be looking in the rear view mirror ... could AC/DC be on the move to take over the #1 spot on Pinsides Top 100?

#2 11 years ago

No.........but it should be top 5. MM and TZ get lots of love.

#3 11 years ago

It's personally my favourite pin but to be honest, so long as it gets Top Ten billing (some pin respect if you will), I don't care where it ends up. That doesn't affect my enjoyment when playing it.
I firmly believe that the Top 100 is way out of whack. For example, MM might have been ahead of its time when it came out and deserved a perfect 10 rating. Compared to AC/DC, it's not as flashy so maybe by today's standards, it deserves a 9 or 9.5. (I still think MM is wicked fun.)
Ratings aren't updated so they're not relevant anymore. I mean seriously... If you are a Williams fan, then yes. These ratings are accurate. If you also enjoy Sterns, they're not.
My two cents anyway.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

No.........but it should be top 5. MM and TZ get lots of love.

Agree, ACDC is way better than LOTR and it's the best Stern IMO.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from gprotein:

Agree, ACDC is way better than LOTR

He didn't say that...he said it should be in the top 5.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

He didn't say that...he said it should be in the top 5.

Doesnt mean what he said wasnt true. I agree 100%

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I agree 100%

Me too, LOTR is better.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Me too, ACDC is better.

I agree

#9 11 years ago

Tron LE should be higher... surprising it isn't moving up more.

#10 11 years ago

Not that many people have played it compared to AC/DC because there was no Premium model.

#11 11 years ago

The key phrase is "Pinsides" Top 100.A lot of new collectors it seems.Collectors who purchase new Sterns.IPDB has been around a long time.AC/DC is #20 there.Just sayin'

#12 11 years ago

could AC/DC be on the move to take over the #1 spot on Pinsides Top 100?

1555263226_lol_xlarge.jpeg1555263226_lol_xlarge.jpeg

#13 11 years ago

I think from a gameplay/rules standpoint ACDC could be top 5 but a big portion of the Pinside rating system is artwork, and ACDC is weak in that department. If TOTAN is a 10 from a cabinet art rating, ACDC should be about a 4. The playfield and translite art aren't that great either compared to the games ahead of it. However from a rules standpoint I'd give ACDC a 10 and TOTAN a 4. In reality I think ACDC is ranked right about where it should be.-which isn't bad at all.

#14 11 years ago

This is a little bit like the "Top 100 Rock Songs" or whathaveyou that VH1 does. The polls tend to favor newer titles and often over-represent the rank of anything new and currently popular. 5 years from now if AC/DC is in the same position, then you've got something. Until then it's just too hard to tell.

By the way, I love AC/DC and it could very well hold its position and continue to advance. I'm just sayin' tho.

#15 11 years ago

I think every 2-3 years or so the rankings should be wiped and we start over and see what happens.

Maybe there could be a way that your own personal ratings stay in place under "My Pinside" and if you still agree with your own scores when the overall scores get wiped you can then decide to re-apply them or re-evaluate your own scores and then apply them to the overall rankings.

Make sense?

So if you still agree with all of your own personal ratings you could simply hit "re-apply" and have them count towards the overall rankings. OR, it gives everyone a chance to "tweak" their ratings every so often and then have them applied.

This would accomplish two things.....it would remove the inactive Pinsider's scores from the overall. It would allow people to re-evaluate their scores in light of new machines being released.

You may not think it's fair to remove the inactive ratings....well if your not active or involved enough in this hobby to at least stop by here ONE TIME to update your ratings why should they count?

#16 11 years ago

The key phrase is "Pinsides" Top 100.A lot of new collectors it seems.Collectors who purchase new Sterns.IPDB has been around a long time.AC/DC is #20 there.Just sayin'

You talking about this?

ACDC_number_20.jpgACDC_number_20.jpg

#17 11 years ago

P.S.

I think we should start the first "do-over" ASAP.

There's a lot of garbage scores messing up the works in the Top 100......IMHO.

#18 11 years ago

i don't think it will make it to #1

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

i don't think it will make it to #1

but it should!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Slugmeister:

When they have pins like HS2 and FT ranked in front of AC/DC, it just doesn't have any credibility to me.

Just sayin'

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Beez:

Well, the more people that play it, AC/DC Premium / LE contiues to move up the Top 100 charts! Currently sitting in the #8 Spot (3-28-2013) all that remains ahead of this dazzeling beauty is:
#7 Spider-Man Black
#6 The Addams Family
#5 Lord of the Rings
#4 Attach from Mars
#3 Monster Bash
#2 Twilight Zone
#1 Medieval Madness
Seems to me these Top 7 pins should be looking in the rear view mirror ... could AC/DC be on the move to take over the #1 spot on Pinsides Top 100?

I assume you do not believe it should be the number one pin since you have rated four other pins ahead of it on your personal ratings.

It' a good game and deserves to be a top ten in my opinion.

#22 11 years ago

IPDB also has Tron LE at 53 and W?D at 44. MM is at 3 and TZ is 1. We pinside pinheads must be in the minority.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

it just doesn't have any credibility to me

None of the polls do, but the naive will believe anything they are told.

#24 11 years ago

What are you talking about? Acdc was already number one on the ipdb some months ago , see

image.jpgimage.jpg

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

There's a lot of garbage scores messing up the works in the Top 100......IMHO.

That's just it- in your opinion they are garbage scores, but remember your scores can be considered "garbage" to somebody else. Polls are subjective.

Redoing something just because you don't agree with it, or how you think it should be set up is wrong....IMHO.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

That's just it- in your opinion they are garbage scores, but remember your scores can be considered "garbage" to somebody else. Polls are subjective.
Redoing something just because you don't agree with it, or how you think it should be set up is wrong....IMHO.

its why they have alternative lists. i agree that some of the ratings are nonsense. the example I give is the guy who wrote that he didnt finish the third ball and his wife walked away after one...score 5.5 or some nonsense. never played ac/dc so with that said my list goes LOTR , TZ, STTNG, MB, MM. still dont see the props that TAF gets. and AFM is a good game but not great, IMHO! lol

#27 11 years ago

$25,000.00 by x-mas!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

You may be right, you may be wrong. To me there is just no way that a pin like MM should ever get an overall 2.0 rating on a scale of 1-10. No matter how much you don't enjoy the pin it still not a 2.0 pin when taken onto consideration the over 5500 pins that have been made.

It's also not a 10.0 pin either.

People like to pump up a pin they think should be rated higher so they give it a 10.0. Other's think it's way to high and so they give it a super low rating to knock it down. BOTH RATINGS ARE BOGUS.

That's what I was getting at.

#29 11 years ago

People that spend the most money on machines also spend the most time rating them.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

People that spend the most money on machines also spend the most time rating them.

People buy a NIB machine and rate it 10/10 on IPDB and Pinside before the game even arrives at their house. I try only to rate games after 100s of plays or until I'm able to reach the wizard mode twice and have a firm grasp on the rules. I take time to write my reviews. I just laugh at most of the garbage reviews posted here and at IPDB. But there is no moderation or approval process for reviews here that filters out the garbage.

One sentence reviews. Generic comments. No justification for the ratings. Literally no understanding of the machine mechanically or how it plays and is programmed. Yet everyone's score is weighted equally in the ratings. Something like PinballNinja or Pinballnews that spend hours and hours examining a machine before reviewing it are what I look at because they can take a game apart and show you everything. Or I'll scroll through the sea of stupidity to find the small island of well written reviews on Pinside (almost no luck on IPDB).

But the ratings? Who cares? Most people don't own the machines that they rate. They only play them two or three times and then rate them. Even worse is that there is now a flood of people who play The Pinball Arcade and are ratings pins based on inferior digital reproductions. Every time that TPA puts out a new pin its rating leaps up on IMDB. Nine out of ten of the top 10 pins on IPDB are available on TPA.

A fully modded and dialed in AC/DC LE with the latest software is easily a top ten pin. No question. But number one of all time? Let's come back in ten years and see if it is still hanging around with the best of the best.

#31 11 years ago

its in my top 3, everyone has different tastes, but i strongly believe it belongs in the top 5

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from SuperTurbo:

People buy a NIB machine and rate it 10/10 on IPDB and Pinside before the game even arrives at their house. I try only to rate games after 100s of plays or until I'm able to reach the wizard mode twice and have a firm grasp on the rules. I take time to write my reviews. I just laugh at most of the garbage reviews posted here and at IPDB. But there is no moderation or approval process for reviews here that filters out the garbage.

One sentence reviews. Generic comments. No justification for the ratings. Literally no understanding of the machine mechanically or how it plays and is programmed. Yet everyone's score is weighted equally in the ratings. Something like PinballNinja or Pinballnews that spend hours and hours examining a machine before reviewing it are what I look at because they can take a game apart and show you everything. Or I'll scroll through the sea of stupidity to find the small island of well written reviews on Pinside (almost no luck on IPDB).

But the ratings? Who cares? Most people don't own the machines that they rate. They only play them two or three times and then rate them. Even worse is that there is now a flood of people who play The Pinball Arcade and are ratings pins based on inferior digital reproductions. Every time that TPA puts out a new pin its rating leaps up on IMDB. Nine out of ten of the top 10 pins on IPDB are available on TPA.

A fully modded and dialed in AC/DC LE with the latest software is easily a top ten pin. No question. But number one of all time? Let's come back in ten years and see if it is still hanging around with the best of the best.

For most people this is a hobby to have fun with not a job!

#33 11 years ago

Who gives a crap about ratings? Seriously

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

This is a little bit like the "Top 100 Rock Songs" or whathaveyou that VH1 does. The polls tend to favor newer titles and often over-represent the rank of anything new and currently popular. 5 years from now if AC/DC is in the same position, then you've got something. Until then it's just too hard to tell.
By the way, I love AC/DC and it could very well hold its position and continue to advance. I'm just sayin' tho.

I think you're exactly right. ACDC is a great game- no question. However, it has the benefit of all the newest bells and whistles, a hugely popular theme for cross-over fans, etc. Also, for everyone gushing that its "the greatest pin of all times" - I'd say take a breath and see if you still think so in a year... or 5 years... or 15 years. Many are making that statement before they've even opened the $7K credit card statement for their purchase....

Color ME just as impressed with how great some of the 10, 15, and 20-yr old titles STILL play. And some have some pretty odd themes....

And lets be real, if you just dropped $6-$7K on a toy, OBVIOUSLY you think its great.... you almost have to, right? Just like no one ever thinks their own baby is ugly... when in reality- many are.

How many are wishing their games up the charts to help justify or rationalize their expenditure? Or their future pin-flipping plans? Some for sure....

For me, the only ranking that matters is the one in my household...

#35 11 years ago

I personally feel the IPDB ratings more closely align with my own vs Pinside ratings. For instance STTNG (#2 on ipdb) should be be in the top 5 IMO but, here its 13? Anyway both are overly manipulated by trolls so, I don't put much credibility in them. They are fun to have as reference lists.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Polls are subjective. Redoing something just because you don't agree with it, or how you think it should be set up is wrong....IMHO.

I couldn't agree more ....

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I think you're exactly right. ACDC is a great game- no question. However, it has the benefit of all the newest bells and whistles, a hugely popular theme for cross-over fans, etc. Also, for everyone gushing that its "the greatest pin of all times" - I'd say take a breath and see if you still think so in a year... or 5 years... or 15 years. Many are making that statement before they've even opened the $7K credit card statement for their purchase....
Color ME just as impressed with how great some of the 10, 15, and 20-yr old titles STILL play. And some have some pretty odd themes....
And lets be real, if you just dropped $6-$7K on a toy, OBVIOUSLY you think its great.... you almost have to, right? Just like no one ever thinks their own baby is ugly... when in reality- many are.
How many are wishing their games up the charts to help justify or rationalize their expenditure? Or their future pin-flipping plans? Some for sure....
For me, the only ranking that matters is the one in my household...

I'm pretty sure tons of people who do not own the pin have rated it.
Sure a few owners may be going through what you stated, but not enough to skew the numbers very much. If AC/DC were not a great pin it would not be getting all this attention since the day it arrived. Stern has a lot of great pins, but face it, AC/DC has the buzz even over the newer shinier pins. I have owned mine almost a year now and dropped no money on it. I appreciate it more now then when I unboxed it.

#38 11 years ago

Gilligan's Island is getting more popular...

#39 11 years ago

forgot the pic

ipdb_screencap.pngipdb_screencap.png

#40 11 years ago

No, while fun to play the art is midlevel at best. Add to that that there are enough people out htere who would rather drill out their eardrums than listen to ACDC, and there is enough negative sentiment to keep it from being the top machine made.

#41 11 years ago

All I know is that ACDC premium seems like a top 10 game in my opinion. Its awesome to see ACDC being ranked among the great all time pins.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Sure a few owners may be going through what you stated, but not enough to skew the numbers very much. If AC/DC were not a great pin it would not be getting all this attention since the day it arrived. Stern has a lot of great pins, but face it, AC/DC has the buzz even over the newer shinier pins. I have owned mine almost a year now and dropped no money on it. I appreciate it more now then when I unboxed it.

Just curious as I'm getting an ACDC Premium next week. What about ACDC has made you keep coming back to it time and time again over the past year? I've only played the pro version (awesome btw) briefly but from everything I read the game has a very deep ruleset.

#43 11 years ago

Who cares? Ratings are overrated. It is a good thing that people are loving some of the new pins coming out. Just because people are enjoying new pins does not mean that they no longer enjoy playing the classics. So there really is no need to hate rate.

Cough...Cough I look at ratings by a CaptainSomething and have to say yup we have a hate rater on our hands.

#44 11 years ago

I'd love to see a top 3 consisting of AC/DC, WOZ, and BHZA. If only for the chaos that would follow.

#45 11 years ago

This tread is a load of shite

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Maybe your right..."tons" though? It only looked like only 300 people rated ACDC, hell, half that many posted in the last ACDC March release thread

I appreciate your experience....however, I also suspect a LOT of people made their ranks a lot sooner than 1 year after starting to play it.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just curious as I'm getting an ACDC Premium next week. What about ACDC has made you keep coming back to it time and time again over the past year? I've only played the pro version (awesome btw) briefly but from everything I read the game has a very deep ruleset.

The machine is an adrenaline rush, plain and simple. Also my son and I are very competitive. He is always texting me a high score and challenging me to beat it. The kid is good and has made it to Encore on standard settings multiple times. Also we love trying to see who can get a massive jackpot on the bell with 2X or 3X scoring. Nothing like it with Steve telling you to "Get the Super Jackpot", then if you miss it on the next few cannon loads he starts screaming "Get the Stupid Jackpot". It is Awesome.
The machine will beat you down many time in a row then suddenly, you can do no wrong and your heart is going 90 to nothing.
That is why my Addams Family and TZ sit still now.
Hope that explains it.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

Add to that that there are enough people out there who would rather drill out their eardrums than listen to ACDC,

With this pin it doesn't matter if you like AC/DC music or not ... It gets you pumped and takes the game to the next level!!

#49 11 years ago

This pin rocks. No pin intended.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from jimjim66:

Redoing something just because you don't agree with it, or how you think it should be set up is wrong

Sounds like prop 8

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 12.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-takes-the-1-spot-away-from-medieval-madness and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.