(Topic ID: 96727)

ACDC Super Modes, are they really super or not?

By Rob_G

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by noahpdavis
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have to say I think the current implementation of Super Modes isn't very good. These modes don't seem to be anything that you focus on or play for, but rather just supplement the current scoring. I mostly ignore them unless I see a blinking Super Lane which might get me 2x or 3x bonus multiplier. Other than that I just don't see these modes doing very much. I have tried to play the shots to see what happens, but there's usually no info on the display or if there is it doesn't stay long enough to read it. There used to be a rule for locking the mode with the fire button, but now the default is disabled because of the VIP passes. So the super mode can change on you from certain switch hits.

Thoughts on super modes?

#2 9 years ago

Good luck getting a 6X song bonus without them

#3 9 years ago

I like them as I try to save it for cashing in when I have multiball and it's on the outside drains. This adds a multiplier to my bonus. While 6x a song jackpot is nice I rather increase my bonus as chances are super slim I'll be at 3x playfield, have the shot lit, make the doubler and then hit a song bonus on my next shot. I'm much better at letting a ball drain down the side

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Ok that's super lanes, but what about the other super modes?

Rob

#5 9 years ago

I'll be honest, I usually ignore them even though I shouldn't. I have had the triple bonus a few times from multiball which is nice, but I think it's usually just a coincidence. I agree with you though that the information usually doesn't stay on the DMD long enough to read it.

It's better than the cannon modes at least, what the hell do those lights mean now? I guess it has something to do with if the cannon can be loaded but I'm not exactly sure which one means what.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Pinball 102 please!

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Pinball 102 please!

Someone will have to correct me if I'm wrong as I've never done it. But in theory, that would have to come by having 3x playfield running, lighting the super lane, hitting the super lane on one of the inside lanes and then making your next shot collect a song jackpot that happens to be the exact jackpot that reaches the song bonus for the time of the tour. The superlane doubles your next shot which would be the bonus and the 3x would be playing theoretically giving you 6x.

Outside of that possibility I have no clue.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Pinball 102 please!

Why, What's on p102? Lol. Don't forget super targets! 9x song bonus!

#9 9 years ago

I've gotten super modes I thin without really knowing. How do you kick them off? Where I can I get an extensive rule book for acdc prem?

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I've gotten super modes I thin without really knowing. How do you kick them off? Where I can I get an extensive rule book for acdc prem?

Here is the basic super mode set up: Pick a song. Complete the shot or shots required for that song and one of the 4 white super-scoring lights will blink. Hitting the lightning bolt targets will change its position. Once 3 notes are hit, the super-scoring mode is locked in. Whatever you earned only stays lit for the ball in play. Switching songs is required to engage additional super modes.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

Don't forget super targets! 9x song bonus!

Please help me with the scoring math.

I can see 3x running and a super inlane next shot at 2x followed by the next super target to complete an album target bank at 2x. So is that 3 x 2 x 2 = 12x or do the multipliers add 3 + 2 + 2 = 7x

I have never set that triplet scoring opportunity up and watched the score at the same time.

#12 9 years ago

3x scoring combined with super target double bank shot (rock 3x- TNT 6x- acdc 9x)

#13 9 years ago

I was playing ACDC tonight and try as I might, it was difficult to follow what the super mode is doing. For example I think super lane might have said next shot 2x, but I wasn't sure. It just goes off way to quickly to read. I just saw 2x and the rest I didn't have time to read. Another time I think super combos said all combo values 2x. I think this is the main thing I don't like about ACDC... Heck even the end of ball bonus goes by so quickly I can't tell what is giving me points. I've played super targets and I have no idea what that's doing, it doesn't show any info on the DMD that I see. Is there anything in the instant info?

Rob

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from skywelker:

I'll be honest, I usually ignore them even though I shouldn't. I have had the triple bonus a few times from multiball which is nice, but I think it's usually just a coincidence. I agree with you though that the information usually doesn't stay on the DMD long enough to read it.
It's better than the cannon modes at least, what the hell do those lights mean now? I guess it has something to do with if the cannon can be loaded but I'm not exactly sure which one means what.

Well the cannon modes don't really do anything that anyone is aware of. Nor do the horn inserts (except a few points and animation) and the bell saucer (if you have a non pro model). I think I've had the triple bonus once or twice as well. I think many are hoping for another ACDC update some day... I wonder if Lyman still reads the forums here?

Rob

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Here is the basic super mode set up: Pick a song. Complete the shot or shots required for that song and one of the 4 white super-scoring lights will blink. Hitting the lightning bolt targets will change its position. Once 3 notes are hit, the super-scoring mode is locked in. Whatever you earned only stays lit for the ball in play. Switching songs is required to engage additional super modes.

Thanks for that. going to have a go now

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

and the bell saucer (if you have a non pro model).

The bell saucer puts you in hell during Hells Bells where everything is lit the whole time you are down there. With 2 or 3X scoring going it can be lucrative.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Well the cannon modes don't really do anything that anyone is aware of.

Ya I remember reading the cannon modes were removed, but on V1.65 they are sometimes lit or flashing and I haven't been able to figure out why.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Nor do the horn inserts

If you have been in hell on hells bells, you have to hit the horn shots to re-qualify for another hell visit during the same ball.

#19 9 years ago

I thought I'd never see an opportunity to get more than a 3x song bonus, but yesterday I have 50M song jack built w/ album MB going and 3x running . . . one TNT target left to collect song bonus, inlane flashing and ball coming down the ramp w/ other ball trapped. You can imagine what happened next. Miss . . . double drain! Another grain one in the list of 1000's of *almost* acdc stories.

#20 9 years ago

Do the other super modes (other than super lanes) last for the remainder of your ball or just one completion?

Example - one doubled combo, one target completion, or one loop etc?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

The bell saucer puts you in hell during Hells Bells where everything is lit the whole time you are down there. With 2 or 3X scoring going it can be lucrative.

I think this was changed in 1.68... It's no longer as lucrative as it used to be with the roaming shot. At least I think it's Hells Bells that has the roaming shot.

Rob

#22 9 years ago

Highway to hell has the roaming shot. Hells Bells may have one too but I know for sure Highway has it.

#23 9 years ago

I took the glass off and tried to get a 9x song bonus by activating the Super Targets mode.

Question - in order to get the 3x Super target Song bonus, do you have to combo all 3 bank and have the 3rd bank you hit be the one that awards the song bonus? I'm pretty sure I tried doing that and it didn't work. I tried it w/ hitting the rock targets first, then TNT then ACDC with the ACDC Bank awarding the song bonus - no dice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

16,500 (Firm)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-super-modes-are-they-really-super-or-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.