Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by AbacusMan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BSDC.jpg
    charitypinball039.jpg

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Forgive me if I am wrong and please correct me if I missed something, maybe I was not looking hard enough.

Stopped by Pinball Hall of Fame today and Played the AC/DC there. I belive its the pro with the lower pf.

First off AC/DC is a awesome game. Way to go Stern. Glad to see were heading in the right direction.

My complaint is.... Where the hell is Bon Scott. Being a AC/DC fan for as long as I have been alive, Bon Scott was the reason they are who they are.

All albums up to Highway To Hell is Bon Scott. And most of Back and Black was already written by Bon and AC/DC. Maybe not all the lyrics but the music was. Brian did write some great lyrics on that album.

Why would you not have Bon on the game. I bet marketing did not want to confuse the ignorannt public by seeing 2 lead singers. But come on, use his music on the game but not him?

I know this may have been covered in some other posts and if I am wrong please correct me.

#2 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Forgive me if I am wrong and please correct me if I missed something, maybe I was not looking hard enough.
    Stopped by Pinball Hall of Fame today and Played the AC/DC there. I belive its the pro with the lower pf.
    First off AC/DC is a awesome game. Way to go Stern. Glad to see were heading in the right direction.
    My complaint is.... Where the hell is Bon Scott. Being a AC/DC fan for as long as I have been alive, Bon Scott was the reason they are who they are.
    All albums up to Highway To Hell is Bon Scott. And most of Back and Black was already written by Bon and AC/DC. Maybe not all the lyrics but the music was. Brian did write some great lyrics on that album.
    Why would you not have Bon on the game. I bet marketing did not want to confuse the ignorannt public by seeing 2 lead singers. But come on, use his music on the game but not him?
    I know this may have been covered in some other posts and if I am wrong please correct me.

It was the decision of the licensee (AC/DC) to not include graphical reference to Bon. It is referenced in a few interviews with Steve Ritchie.

#3 11 years ago

This was covered in the Steve Ritchie interview.

Bon Scott hasn't been in the band for over 30 years now. It is extremely rude and disrespectful to Brian Johnson, the current band member for the last 32 years, to include Bon Scott. The machine was modeled after the acdc band as it stands for the last 30 years, and that's without Bon.

Again, these are not my words. They are from the game designer. You can look for his interview and listen to it yourself. So theres no point debating the validity of this argument with me. But that's the answer.

And if your game you played had a lower playfield it was either a premium or an LE. The pro has no lower playfield.

#4 11 years ago

I think you've answered your own question with the 'confusing' bit.

I agree Bon was larger than life for the 5 and half years he was with Ac/Dc but Brian Johnson has been their lead singer for nearly 32 years now..

Also if you put Bon in what about Dave Evans ? Or for that matter Mark Evans, Phil Rudd, Simon Wright, Chris Slade etc etc... ?

I think its a matter of AC/DC the brand rather than the group, a lot of fans won't even know what Bon looked like or who he was. A lot of the new fans will have heard their music in the likes of Iron Man.

BTW. First concert I went to was AC/DC in Dublin, Ireland in about 1981 or 1982 (For those about to rock tour)

#5 11 years ago

I can understand why they did it now but its still not right.

Reading Brian Johnsons book and if you watch the interview on "That Metal Show" Brian still understands Bon's influence on the band and always encorages references to Bon.

Personally I think Stern's knowledge and understanding of AC/DC and its fans were lacking and they played it safe.

You could put Bon on it and it I bet 100% Brian would approve, I bet he even balked at why Bon was not on it.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigian:

I think you've answered your own question with the 'confusing' bit.
    I agree Bon was larger than life for the 5 and half years he was with Ac/Dc but Brian Johnson has been their lead singer for nearly 32 years now..
    Also if you put Bon in what about Dave Evans ? Or for that matter Mark Evans, Phil Rudd, Simon Wright, Chris Slade etc etc... ?
    I think its a matter of AC/DC the brand rather than the group, a lot of fans won't even know what Bon looked like or who he was. A lot of the new fans will have heard their music in the likes of Iron Man.
    BTW. First concert I went to was AC/DC in Dublin, Ireland in about 1981 or 1982 (For those about to rock tour)

Drummers are a different breed when it comes to branding. No disrepect but a singer is a branding and sound to the band, with the exception of drummers like Neal Peart, etc.

The first 5 members and Brian Johnson are the only real members of AC/DC. The others are hired guns.

#7 11 years ago

Make a Bon Scott mylar to cover the head on the pro and you have a BS LE.
    Worked for the turd on South Park.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Reading Brian Johnsons book and if you watch the interview on "That Metal Show" Brian still understands Bon's influence on the band and always encorages references to Bon.
    Personally I think Stern's knowledge and understanding of AC/DC and its fans were lacking and they played it safe.
    You could put Bon on it and it I bet 100% Brian would approve, I bet he even balked at why Bon was not on it.

I don't think you are quite getting it. The Licensee made the call. Stern had to go with their input on a lot of what went into the pin. Whoever owns the rights has the legal rights to say what goes in or what doesn't go in. It's a business, branding, marketing, legal kinda thing.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Make a Bon Scott mylar to cover the head on the pro and you have a BS LE.
    Worked for the turd on South Park.

Thanks. Now I have to wipe the snot from my screen

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Billmelater:

I don't think you are quite getting it. The Licensee made the call. Stern had to go with their input on a lot of what went into the pin. Whoever owns the rights has the legal rights to say what goes in or what doesn't go in. It's a business, branding, marketing, legal kinda thing.

yes, BAND decision
    NOT Stern decision

#11 11 years ago

Brian is the lead singer not Bon

#12 11 years ago

Just saying it a 3rd time, because it didn't sink in the 1st. Plus, aren't we being a little dramatic? It was AC/DC's call not to include him. Isn't shame on them a little much anyway?

Quoted from Billmelater:

I don't think you are quite getting it. The Licensee made the call. Stern had to go with their input on a lot of what went into the pin.

Quoted from grh450:

yes, BAND decision
    NOT Stern decision

#13 11 years ago

Several Bon Scott songs on the game.TNT,HIghway to Hell,Whole Lotta Rosie.....use your ears instead of your eyes and there's a bunch of Bon Scott in the game.

#14 11 years ago

Premium and LE's have the lower PF...

Pro's have the Angus face....

And as far as Bon, he's dead, and NOT a band member..

#15 11 years ago

It is shame on AC/DC.

Quoted from Gerry:

And as far as Bon, he's dead, and NOT a band member.

I am confused.. so if they make a Queen pin Freddie should not be on it because he is dead therefore not making him a band member?

Quoted from Gorgar1:

Brian is the lead singer not Bon

Does that mean that American Idol clown, Adam Lambert, should be on a Queen machine

#16 11 years ago

I can see the argument, and Bon was THE man. But, this was a band decision. I'd say Brian deserves it more.

Just like if they ever made a Metallica pin, some would argue that Cliff should be in it. I'd argue Jason Newsted. ANYTHING but Trujillo.

What about an Ozzy pin? Randy Rhodes would be the man there, but I'd have NO problem with Zakk. With this kind of thing, I'd say the band should make the decision.

#17 11 years ago

what part of BAND DECISION ,do we not understand???

#18 11 years ago

Seems like a good market for some after-market plastics design - perhaps include him in an alternate sling plastics, translight or the like.

Bon was there when they really came into their own, but there were many previous others in the band over the years. I think they did their best work during his tenure, and saw them many times. I'm not a fan of Brian's voice for the most part - and certainly not his renditions of Bon's work. But the pin is meant to represent the contemporary AD/DC.

#19 11 years ago

I have a friend who cancelled his LTBR preorder because of no Bon, and I'm sure he's not the only one who was disappointed, but as has been stated several times, it was the bands decision, so no shame on Stern at all. Could be an interesting project to make an alternate BG and plastics for a Bon Scott edition, but you would never be able to market them legally

#20 11 years ago

Really? Shame? Really? For representing the band the way most people have known them for years?

*smack*

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Drummers are a different breed when it comes to branding. No disrepect but a singer is a branding and sound to the band, with the exception of drummers like Neal Peart, etc.
    The first 5 members and Brian Johnson are the only real members of AC/DC. The others are hired guns.

Dave Evans was the original lead singer.

Also technically Angus and Malcolm are the band and everyone else is a hired gun

#22 11 years ago

Technically, Bon is in the machine. Brian Johnson is not singing all of the tracks in the game. And for the record they have had just as many kick ass songs with Brian than they did with Bon. It's all good.

#23 11 years ago

Stopped by PHOF and ACDC was being fixed.... Standard...

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from grh450:

yes, BAND decision
    NOT Stern decision

Well then I apologize to Stern and shame on AC/DC. Include the music but not even a cameo of Bon somewhere hidden?

Shame on AC/DC for being so corporate!

#25 11 years ago

Sigh...

Quoted from Slate:

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Yeah. Shame on them for going with the guy that's been in the band for 30+ years. They should be ashamed of themselves.

It makes sense to have only one singer in the game. It'd look awkward otherwise. They made the right decision as Brian f'n deserves the spot.

#27 11 years ago

If there was an Iron Maiden pin do you think Paul Dianno would be on there anywhere?

He sung on the first two albums (both awesome ones too) but Bruce has been singing since 1982.

Same sort of scenario I'd think ....

Dave.

#28 11 years ago

I like Maiden a lot.
    STILL first 2 albums are my fave,with Di'anno

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from dgpinball:

I have a friend who cancelled his LTBR preorder because of no Bon, and I'm sure he's not the only one who was disappointed, but as has been stated several times, it was the bands decision, so no shame on Stern at all. Could be an interesting project to make an alternate BG and plastics for a Bon Scott edition, but you would never be able to market them legally

I'm interested in this phenomenon of people who drop a pinball title because of something like this. For a medium so intensive in gameplay, to make the deciding factor of quality be that someone's face is missing from the artwork sounds like really missing the point. To me it sounds like trading in a brand new car because the pine scented air freshner is not in the shape of a pine tree.

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigian:

Dave Evans was the original lead singer.
    Also technically Angus and Malcolm are the band and everyone else is a hired gun

+1

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Stopped by PHOF and ACDC was being fixed.... Standard...

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

I'm interested in this phenomenon of people who drop a pinball title because of something like this. For a medium so intensive in gameplay, to make the deciding factor of quality be that someone's face is missing from the artwork sounds like really missing the point. To me it sounds like trading in a brand new car because the pine scented air freshner is not in the shape of a pine tree.

Well in this case my friend is an ex musician, and to him, AD/DC was the Bon Scott era, so he just couldn't justify the purchase.

#33 11 years ago

shame on ac/dc? and stern?

bon doesnt appear because he didnt make it to signing the license contract with stern. so he was left out :p

#34 11 years ago

I am 32 years old and Brian is the only lead singer I've ever known. I don't know what the other guy even looks like, so I wouldn't recognize anyone else. Like it or not, Brian is part of the image of the band now.

Sorry, but I think after 30 years of being the lead singer, you've earned the right of not having to share a pinball backglass with a ghost.

#35 11 years ago

Would have been funny but he was creamated

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

You're certainly wrong on that. Sterns marketing guy came from the rock and roll world.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from sosage:

Yes, in other words, an initially enthusiastic buyer finding an excuse to talk himself out of it.

#38 11 years ago

This happened with Tron, the amount of people who said "if they make it I will buy one" and then when they did said nothing more!

#39 11 years ago

This happened with Tron, the amount of people who said "if they make it I will buy one" and then when they did said nothing more!

Same with a So Cal pinball show, A lot of the ones that wanted one the most were the no shows when one was put together.
    Look at what they missed out on.
    Pinballers are a fickle lot.

charitypinball039.jpgcharitypinball039.jpg

#40 11 years ago

ACDC was Bons baby...they could have at the very least put something in there to pay homage to the guy…he was a tough act to follow for Brain…he has been living in Bons shadow for 30 years!

#41 11 years ago

Alright. Maybe they should have put a headstone with something like "RIP Bon Scott - 1946-1980"

Might be a good aftermarket mod

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from robbiev:

ACDC was Bons baby...they could have at the very least put something in there to pay homage to the guy…he was a tough act to follow for Brain…he has been living in Bons Shadow for 30 years!

They did i think 3 tracks

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gorgar1:

They did i think 3 tracks

GOOD point! (5 songs)

#45 11 years ago

I didnt know that...so songs that he is singing in..or Brian impersonating him? If so, enough said!

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from robbiev:

I didnt know that...so songs that he is singing in..or Brian impersonating him? If so, enough said!

Bon sings theme NOT Brian enough said..

#47 11 years ago

Some of you missed the point some of you nailed it.

AC/DC was Bons creation and he wrote all the great songs with the exception of a few in the 80's.
    He was the sound of AC/DC before he died. He was not replaced by choice like in Iron Maiden where Paul was replaced by Bruce.

If someone is replaced in a band its for a reason, usually they suck. AC/DC had no choice and they were fortunate to find Brian. Brian has even said it was Bons band and still is in some respect.

So basically youre saying if Apple had a pinball machine it would be the current CEO on it and not Steve Jobs.

Length of time in service should have no bearing on who is credited.

Regardless of anything a picture of Bon in the crowd of people on a plastic was all that was needed.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from grh450:

GOOD point! (5 songs)

Wrong, paying homage is not using songs with the player thinking its Brian. Thats just wrong.

#49 11 years ago

No disrespect to Bon, he rocked, but AC/DC was and always will be Angus and Malcolm's band. They started it with a different vocalist who didn't fit the mold, and Bon was hired later.

Quoted from Slate:

AC/DC was Bons creation

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Wrong, paying homage is not using songs with the player thinking its Brian. Thats just wrong.

OK...I give up
    but I guess I will not play NO FEAR anymore because I thought it was the SKULL (bonehead) talking....damn

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-stern-shame-on-you/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.