• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1040447.JPG

#1 11 years ago

Hi all,
Im thinking about putting a 10 Speaker in my AC/DC Pro , I believe the LE has the 10 inch speaker and was wondering if the hole size was bigger?

the hole on the Pro is about 6.5 inches, can someone with a LE measure the speaker hole for me?

LMK

(and NO, Im NOT gona cut it bigger )

#2 11 years ago

The LE has a 12" speaker not a 10". I suggest you order a pinball pro sub or flipper fidelity sub for stern games and put that in.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The LE has a 12" speaker not a 10". I suggest you order a pinball pro sub or flipper fidelity sub for stern games and put that in.

12 inch..WOW!

but the question remains.....whats the size of the speaker hole?

#4 11 years ago

IMHO the 12 is to big. A quality 10" rocks harder than a 12. I have tried both in my pro. Speaker hole is the LE is just under 11 inches.

I installed a RF Punch in my pro enlarged the whole to 9.5 and i can say it sounds better than a stock le/prem. In ac/dc they way they have the network set up its sends 90% threw the cabinet speaker. This is wrong. I left the cap filter hooked up direct on the left speaker and free ranged the right speaker. Sounds 100% better than stock hard to believe but its true.

AC/DC 's sound did not come from the speaker setup maybe 20% did. Most of the quality can be attributed to the uncompressed 4400hz digi tracks.

#5 11 years ago

I'm just guessing here. I worked in Car audio when I was younger. I also have changed many speakers in pins this past couple years. I would say adding a bigger speaker will not do much really. I suggest buying the popular powered subwoofer on ebay for $99 shipped and use that instead. It will blow you away and it is EXACTLY what is needed for AC/DC
good luck.

#6 11 years ago

BTW....

TWSS!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I'm just guessing here. I worked in Car audio when I was younger. I also have changed many speakers in pins this past couple years. I would say adding a bigger speaker will not do much really. I suggest buying the popular powered subwoofer on ebay for $99 shipped and use that instead. It will blow you away and it is EXACTLY what is needed for AC/DC
good luck.

This is normally true but in AC/DC the network is set up to over drive the cabinet speaker. By 40% over a normal Stern. I will check the caps again but there choking more on this board set than any other SAM to date. Once you see the Caps they used on the network choke it will make sense. 36 on ac/dc for volume is like 64 on a normal sam.

The resistors are all different on the board as well.

#8 11 years ago

well,since im not gona cut the hole bigger on my new game ill look into maybe getting a replacement 8" speaker.

Quoted from AkumaZeto: In ac/dc they way they have the network set up its sends 90% threw the cabinet speaker. This is wrong. I left the cap filter hooked up direct on the left speaker and free ranged the right speaker. Sounds 100% better than stock hard to believe but its true.

Ill try looking at the speaker schematics and see how they got that hooked up.

I did notice there's almost nothing coming out of the black box speakers so that 90% ratio DOES make sence.
I wonder if an "L pad" volume control would be good to adj the balance between top and bottom speakers...if not ill try what you did

#9 11 years ago

so just saw how they got it hooked up.....both head speakers are in series along with a 10uf cap

this makes a RC high pass filter, IF (and only if) the head speakers are 4 ohms each the -3dB cut-off frequency would be 2KHz

that still dosnt explain why the cab speaker is WAY louder, maybe the amp?

#10 11 years ago

yes the resistors on the amp go compare them to a normal sam.

#11 11 years ago

They have the cab channel boosted. a FF is a waste go get a nice 8 inch if yah want. You will be blown away. Its not worth the 90 bucks from ff when a quality 50$ will blow it away. Wire the right speaker bypassing the cap. Keep the left speaker capped.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

yes the resistors on the amp go compare them to a normal sam.

wish I could but the Pro didnt come with the manual and the schematics of the cpu/sound board is clear as dirt (useless!) on Sterns site

#13 11 years ago

I had a full Flipper Fid in my pro and it sounded better then stock premium. Bass was very deep. Worth it for 139.

Problem with aftermarket speakers is holes don't line up with the original mounting screws. Ff is simple to install and has needed spacers and mounts.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

They have the cab channel boosted. a FF is a waste go get a nice 8 inch if yah want. You will be blown away. Its not worth the 90 bucks from ff when a quality 50$ will blow it away. Wire the right speaker bypassing the cap. Keep the left speaker capped.

Unfortunately, this isn't totally true. The stock stern speaker is pretty efficient. It just doesn't reproduce decent bass. Adding a third party sub will definitely help. But the flipper fidelity is definitely worth it. Here's why:
1) it comes with a crossover well tuned for this application. This allows only the deeper sounds to be output by the sub. A stock speaker you buy to save $40 won't
2) it comes with a vol control. The better quality sub by default won't be loud enough. The vol control allows you to turn down the two mid range speakers. Then when you turn up the system volume, you get more bass.
3) sure you could buy an lpad at radio shack $10, a cool and cap crossover at the audio store ($20) then you'd have lost most your savings and have to spend a lot of time wiring it up. Totally worth getting the FF or pinball pro here.

#15 11 years ago

You miss the point all the way threw. non of that matters on teh ac/dc cpu boardset. It is setup differently than other sam cpu's I have asked Mike if he changed his kit for ac/dc answer was NO. Anybody that has a AC/DC knows what i am talking about.

ANY SPEAKER YOU INPUT INTO AC/DC WILL SOUND BETTER THAN A FF KIT. AC/DC CPU BOARD HAS A EXTENSIVE CROSSOVER NETWORK BUILT RIGHT INTO IT. IT DIVERTS 90% of sound to the CABINET SPEAKER. THUS OVER DRIVING IT.

all one has to do is reverse channel the back box speakers and install a quality sub in it.

People want to spend money on a ff kit cool whatevs. Normally a good call. But for ac/dc one can pick up a quality 8 or 10 inch poly sub bypass the series setup run the left speaker with the filter cap and the right wide open. People think the stock speaker is a sub its not its a mid range speaker. If you have a ac/dc unhook the cab speaker wow where did all my sound go. Thats because on the ac/dc cpu they are over driving the amp to the cab speaker. What does that tell any Audiphile hmm....i do not need a lpad here because its all ready over-driven.

Here is a video of mine. OBV if your pc speakers sucks ass you will not hear how good this sounds. Its not all BOOM BOOM rattle your trunk ghetto style. ITs deep CRISP and full of thunder.

Now if you still want to tell me Pupo's 10 dollar speaker he gets from parts direct is better than go ahead.

I have given you the proof the knowledge and instructions. What you do from there is your call. MY AC/DC if i still have it lol will be at EXPO this year.

#16 11 years ago

All i am trying to convey is that ac/dc is different than other sam boards. If you get a FF kit you are buying stuff you don't need. You don't need a Crossover there is a better one built in. You don't need a choke because this network is doing it all ready. Older Board sets where just 50/50 no regulation really.

I am not gonna go into deep technical jargon here. You either get it or you don't. That's not ment to be rude. Audiophiles will know what i am saying.

#17 11 years ago

What is "reverse channel"? And, 90% of the sound to the cabinet speaker doesn't make sense. Isn't that exactly why you need a crossover, to eliminate all the high frequencies that are not good for a sub? And without the vol control, you have no control over the balance between bass and mids. You're saying it's just perfect? But that depends on the sensitivity of the speaker you installed vs what someone else picks up at their local store.

#18 11 years ago

The cap on the left speaker cuts down the backbox speakers to 10%drive if you remove that cap it goes holy shit and feels like someone just jacked the volume up to 2,000.

It is just perfect if you leave the cap on the left speaker wire the right speaker direct to the plug. Any decent 4 ohm 8-10" sub is gonna be close enough for government work and sound fantastic. This is not true on every other sam board. Why....They changed the AMP network on the board. I will right down every resistor and cap later and then show the difference between this and say tron or TF why its different and why it sounds better.

When i said reverse channel i meant unhook the "SERIES"

I went to a pawn shop looked over the selection made a choice based on experience paid 35 bucks spent 10 minutes and it sounds truly amazing. I still say the 12" is to big in the le/prem and there would be more "PUNCH" if it was dropped to a 10. Its not like the 70's where a 18" house speaker was king. We can get the same sound from a 18 of then with a 8 now.

I am really not trying to argue just share what i have learned about "AC/DC" in particular.

#19 11 years ago

ok now THIS is too funny (or is it??!!)
I was testing out that speaker thing and decided to unplug the woof....NO sound!!
when i got the game i did notice it was about 90% woofer and the rest coming from the BB but WRONG!
AS I took off the BG and checked for a loose connector (typical by Stern Standars) I saw this and laughed out loud, GEE what a surprise

P1040447.JPGP1040447.JPG

#20 11 years ago

disconnec it now still 10% bb lol

#21 11 years ago

hard to beleive they plunged it one over ,the cab speaker worked but not the BB speakers never worked since day one!

#22 11 years ago

Since you seem to know what you're talking about, what do you think about wiring external subs to the cab speaker. Both for AC/DC and in general. This is the sub people are buying. I've never hooked it up to a pin before, but people seem happy with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-10-Inch-Monitor-Subwoofer/dp/B0002KVQBA/ref=sr_1_1

Quoted from AkumaZeto:

disconnec it now still 10% bb lol

#23 11 years ago

jalpwert, its easy to connect and external sub. Higly recommend it for this machine

#24 11 years ago

I have one all ready to go. I was more curious if that's the best way to go about boosting he sound, or maybe he had a better idea.

Quoted from GAP:

jalpwert, its easy to connect and external sub. Higly recommend it for this machine

#25 11 years ago

I was blown away by the sound coming out of GAPs basement with AC/DC and sub. It is truly a match made in h---! AC/DC humor.....

#26 11 years ago

AkumaZeto, where did you get the train on your pro?

#27 11 years ago

Nothing wrong with external sub. Just don't unhook the cabinet speaker. In stock form thats where 90% of sound comes from.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-speaker-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.