Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by johninc
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I've got a new ACDC on the way and was thinking about mods/upgrades. I see both Pinball Pro and Flipper Fidelity offer aftermarket speaker kits. Both places have Backbox speaker kits , and complete kits with backbox speakers and subwolfers. Was wondering if anyone could give me thoughts/advice about this? Any feedback would be appriciated.....

thanks,
tslayer

#2 6 years ago

An external Sub to me is much better then any sub mounted in the cabinet. Get yourself the FF backbox speaker kit & an External powered sub and get ready to rock.

#3 6 years ago

Clarion backbox speakers and the PSW10 external sub... problem with upgrading stock sub in the cabinet or doing the amp addition is all the BS rattle you have to deal with from the glass/PF.

#4 6 years ago

I have pinball pro backbox kit in my BIB. couldn't be happier. Haven't tried FF yet,but I'm guessing its about the same.

#5 6 years ago

Hmmmmm, so new backbox speakers and external sub. With the sub, just extend the wiring from the pin to the ext Sub and plug in?

#6 6 years ago

The premium has a nice sub in it, and the Pinball Pro kit gives you the nice backbox speakers and a crossover to get the most out of that sub. I'll be trying that before I think about an external sub.

#8 6 years ago

I'm putting the dayton amp inside mine to power the sub that's already in there. I'm not a fan of external subs but that's me. They have anti-rattle tape for the sides of the glass. Don't use electrical tape it gets sticky and comes off over time

#9 6 years ago

^Sc1f1 you have a link to the type of tape you're talking about?

1 month later
#11 6 years ago

For those of you who have hooked up an external sub to the game how did you run the wire from your sub to the cabinet? I'm trying to find a spot to run the wire through. Also, do you just piggyback off of the existing subwoofer connection for the external sub?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For those of you who have hooked up an external sub to the game how did you run the wire from your sub to the cabinet? I'm trying to find a spot to run the wire through. Also, do you just piggyback off of the existing subwoofer connection for the external sub?

just received my sub as well.... was wondering same thing about wiring it?

#13 6 years ago

Also- any issue with installing the ext sub AND the pinnovator headphone mod?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

just received my sub as well.... was wondering same thing about wiring it?

I see that there's a cone shaped bracket inside the cabinet for the power plug. I may just remove that part or see if I can dremel a small part around the edge off in order to allow the speaker wire to pass through. If i dremel a small section off the braclet should then remain flush against the cabinet.

#15 6 years ago

I put the back box speakers from pinball pro in mine. Ran the sub wires from Greg's kit down the back box and out a vent hole in the base of the cabinet. Then took the wires and connected to the right side speaker in on my Polk audio 12" powered sub. I turned the volume knob that comes with the kit (controls the bass/treble of the back box speakers) all the way up (more treble - to the right). It rocks! I do not have the factor sub from stern hooked up any longer. Some people still use the factor sub by jumping off of it and running wire out to the powered sub. I did not want to do that... It's probably safe - so many do it. I didn't take that chance. Make sure your powered sub has the regular speaker wire hook ups. (Commonly called high speaker bypass) Mine is crazy loud now and a blast to play with the bass up and the shaker motor on high!

#16 6 years ago

Upgrading the sound is awesome but it does have some annoyances in the form of rattle.

- Electical tape/more glass friendly tape on the edges of the playfield glass keeps it from rattling
- Foam stickers where the speaker panel hooks keeps that quiet
- Thinner foam on the plastic edge on the translite to keep that quiet
- Some dynamat stuck to the sides of the cabinet inside for good measure as well wouldn't hurt

You could go external sub, but I prefer to keep pinball things inside the pinball cabinet. Plus when the entire cabinet is your subwoofer box you can get some pretty good sound.

#17 6 years ago

This stuff it top of the line, and for a hundred bucks you get enough to share with your friends...

http://www.shop3m.com/70016040282.html

#18 6 years ago

I would agree with Bischt in the past - however since I hooked up the external powered sub on acdc that’s the only way for me in the future. Of course that’s just my personal preference.

1 week later
#19 6 years ago
Quoted from mrbillishere:

This stuff it top of the line, and for a hundred bucks you get enough to share with your friends...

Two thoughts 1- Doesn't look like much more than $20 version 2- $100 for tape is silly talk

This is not rocket science

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Speed:

Two thoughts 1- Doesn't look like much more than $20 version 2- $100 for tape is silly talk
This is not rocket science

Depends on who you are taping up with the $100 tape....lol...

Does the mono music really justify the backbox speaker upgrade? I upgraded the speakers in my LOTR to FF and really didn't make that much of a difference.

#21 6 years ago

The Pinball Pro speakers and crossover made a huge difference on my AC/DC Premium.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside