Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BestShot31
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

With all the interest in having more choices for songs in AC/DC, why not discuss how it could be done. I have read that some believe this is not possible to do with a software update.
Can this be done with new Roms or an expansion board? For the tech guys...what will it take?
How about Stern offering this as a product, they could sell the Roms with new apron card instructions and a new sheet to change in the juke box as a kit, I think they could sell quite a few.
Is this actually viable to complete or would it be way too much work, costly or impossible.

#2 11 years ago

Short of hacking the software or bribing Lyman, I see no other solutions.

#3 11 years ago

The songs are integrated into the rules and shots perfectly. What, you wanna replace Rock & Roll Train with Big Balls and what...remove the train and place a molded pair of testicles on that ramp? The game is a masterpiece. So, it doesn't have a few of my favorites...big deal, I have them on my iPod if I really need to hear them. Just enjoy AC/DC Pinball as its been designed. PERFECTION!

#4 11 years ago

It would be costly for Stern to have to license a full catalog of music.

So it would have to come from the community in the form of a hack.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The songs are integrated into the rules and shots perfectly. What, you wanna replace Rock & Roll Train with Big Balls and what...remove the train and place a molded pair of testicles on that ramp?

Funny stuff!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It would be costly for Stern to have to license a full catalog of music.

Good point. I forgot about the licensing. So bribing Lyman isn't even an option.

I agree with Greg that the songs are so tightly woven into the rules at this point that it would be hard to replace one of them with a different tune. The only thing that would make sense would be to replace the Encore song with something different. Let's get cracking, hackers!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Good point. I forgot about the licensing. So bribing Lyman isn't even an option.
I agree with Greg that the songs are so tightly woven into the rules at this point that it would be hard to replace one of them with a different tune. The only thing that would make sense would be to replace the Encore song with something different. Let's get cracking, hackers!

True - Shoot to Thrill would be perfect for Encore. ...but that would purely be up to the licensor. The only shot features that are generic enough to work with new songs are the AC/DC targets (Back in Black) and the AXE lanes (Rosie) ...but I love those songs so...screw it.

#8 11 years ago

Stern supposedly went round and round with AC/DC on the licensing of the songs. The band wanted more of their new stuff on the game and less of the old. I think we are lucky to have what we did get...but big balls certainly should have been on a pinball game!

#9 11 years ago

AC/DC has many songs that could integrate well, Stern could also take a poll.
If Stern paid the licensing fees if any (who knows AC/DC may not care) and Lyman for his efforts how many would they need to sell and at what cost for the kit to make it worth the effort?
With enough interest we could find a way to make it possible especially if Stern makes money off it.

#10 11 years ago

As cool as it would be to have more songs on AC/DC, I think Stern's resources should be focused on software that actually needs fixing (i.e. X-Men).

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

AC/DC has many songs that could integrate well, Stern could also take a poll.
If Stern paid the licensing fees if any (who knows AC/DC may not care) and Lyman for his efforts how many would they need to sell and at what cost for the kit to make it worth the effort?
With enough interest we could find a way to make it possible especially if Stern makes money off it.

Which songs would integrate well and how? Again, every shot is specific to its song - Bell for Hells Bells, Thunder targets for Thunderstruck, Train ramp for Rock & Roll Trian, flaming tunnel ramp for Highway to Hell, Bumpers for You Shook Me, etc. Changing the songs would go against what Steve & Lyman have accomplished as the intended design. Why would they want to change what they've done? What would the possible benefit be? Are there songs in the game you dislike that so much that you'd want to replace them with others? I just don't get the endgame here. Unlike the horrible Beast & Storm voices in X-Men, there's nothing in the AC/DC audio package that detracts from the game...so - what is motivating this request to change songs? I'm genuinely curious...I don't get it where you're coming from, other than the usual "I love to mod!!!!" Pinside mentality. However, there's a difference between adding goodies to what's there already and wanting to mess with what's already good.

Quoted from gweempose:

As cool as it would be to have more songs on AC/DC, I think Stern's resources should be focused on software that actually needs fixing (i.e. X-Men).

EXACTLY. Bigger fish to fry. You don't waste time on your perfectly designed, perfectly coded current best-seller that pretty much everybody is happy with. Fix/finish X-Men. Fix TF. Update Avengers. Make new games.

#12 11 years ago

What is the current encore song?

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Live version of LTBR

#15 11 years ago

I agree as nice as it would be to have more songs to listen to from a variety standpoint.The game is designed around the 12 that they chose.I mean there even listed on the translite on the premium model.The only song that would make sense to be different is the encore song.That way when you got there it would be something new that has not already been played.The song that makes the most sense would be Shoot to Thrill for encore.Even though Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap is probally the most talked about song left off the game.Either one of those two would work.Shoot to Thrill has the pinball name to it but Dirty Deeds could kind of represent completing all the of the game or Dirty Deeds to get to Encore.Maybe in an update they will change the Encore to something new.Not that I would ever be good to enough to get there to hear the new song.Dave

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Kramer:

Maybe in an update they will change the Encore to something new. Not that I would ever be good to enough to get there to hear the new song ...

I hear ya. I bit the bullet the other day and lowered the song requests to 6. I finally had to accept the fact that it was highly unlikely I would ever make it to Encore with the default settings.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Which songs would integrate well and how? What would the possible benefit be? Are there songs in the game you dislike that so much that you'd want to replace them with others? I just don't get the endgame here. ...so - what is motivating this request to change songs? I'm genuinely curious...I don't get it where you're coming from, other than the usual "I love to mod!!!!" Pinside mentality.

Since you are genuinely curious where I am coming from....
Well "shoot to thrill" has been mentioned a number of times and AC/DC has many other great songs, that is why I suggested a poll, how well they could integrate is up to the possibilities with Lyman.
Many have raised the request before as read through other AC/DC update discussions on Pinside and would consider buying this as a kit myself. I would also appreciate another song or two if possible.
It would benefit those that are interested and possibly Stern if it amounted to them profiting.
As a fan of AC/DC music I don't really dislike any song in particular they had chosen with the game.
I think Stern did a great job with what was chosen and wanted to understand if adding or changing songs is something that is actually possible because I thought it sounded like an interesting idea.

#18 11 years ago

I think "Its a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll" would have been better than LTBR for the ROCK targets. That is the only song I don't like. Unfortunately it is also in the Encore. MEh, what can you do. I also think Shoot to Thrill would have been the better Encore song. Wondering, do they usually play LTBR as their last song in concert?

#19 11 years ago

I assumed Shoot to Thrill was left out because of the gun references (ibtl). Stinks that one was left out as it's my favorite song of theirs

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I think "Its a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll" would have been better than LTBR for the ROCK targets. That is the only song I don't like. Unfortunately it is also in the Encore. MEh, what can you do. I also think Shoot to Thrill would have been the better Encore song. Wondering, do they usually play LTBR as their last song in concert?

Good luck fitting that in the Jukebox on the back of the playfield.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Good luck fitting that in the Jukebox on the back of the playfield.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's really why they didn't include it.

#23 11 years ago

Song moving has been done on several other titles. It is indeed possible but digging threw the Bin looking for star and end Points is tedious. Dig around on pin hack for proof of concept.

#24 11 years ago

I could see adding a mini wizard mode with dirty deeds and add shoot to thrill to multiball if you stack all 3. There is many options without having to add it to the jukebox. Think outside the box, I think most are not ecstatic about the song choices(read missed opportunities). This game is far from a masterpiece. JMO of course.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The songs are integrated into the rules and shots perfectly. What, you wanna replace Rock & Roll Train with Big Balls and what...remove the train and place a molded pair of testicles on that ramp? The game is a masterpiece. So, it doesn't have a few of my favorites...big deal, I have them on my iPod if I really need to hear them. Just enjoy AC/DC Pinball as its been designed. PERFECTION!

So no more updates, huh?

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Just enjoy AC/DC Pinball as its been designed. PERFECTION!

I wish more folks would enjoy ALL pins as they were designed. The excessive modding and "blinging" fad has gotten way out of control as of late.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I assumed Shoot to Thrill was left out because of the gun references (ibtl). Stinks that one was left out as it's my favorite song of theirs

The omission of STT and the canon placement negate ANY talk of "perfection".

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

So no more updates, huh?

2.0 will be the finished code. It's already better now then what most likely will be the finished codes of some of their other crappy programmers.

#29 11 years ago

Stern has found a way to improve upon perfection!

#30 11 years ago

Great question / thread!

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I wish more folks would enjoy ALL pins as they were designed. The excessive modding and "blinging" fad has gotten way out of control as of late.

I think we do enjoy AC/DC as it was designed and see nothing wrong with good ideas that could make it even better, but yes modding may have gotten a wee bit out of control when you find grown men scouring the toy isles of department stores searching for plastic superhero action figures to add to their games!

#32 11 years ago

Don't you have robot scrotums to bash?

#33 11 years ago

If the cannon was placed where it was in games like T2 or DH the bell shot wouldn't be available and that's one of the key shots from the cannon. While it is difficult to see its far from a deal breaker. How's the view of those Loki inserts on avengers? Atleast we can see the rollover inserts.

#34 11 years ago

I think in Encore, It's a Long Way to the Top if You Wanna Rock n Roll should play.

#35 11 years ago

Wondering, do they usually play LTBR as their last song in concert?

Every ACDC concert I have ever seen or went to the last song played is always For Those About to Rock We Salute You.The cannons come out at the beginning of the song and they shoot them off all during the song.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Kramer:

Wondering, do they usually play LTBR as their last song in concert?
Every ACDC concert I have ever seen or went to the last song played is always For Those About to Rock We Salute You.The cannons come out at the beginning of the song and they shoot them off all during the song.

I know. Strange.
They should really open their concerts with that. Just makes sense.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It's a long way to the top...
They could replace Rosie with that one. Placement would be about right.

#38 11 years ago

LOVE my ACDC pin just the way it is, but would have been cool to incorporate "Who Made Who" with a possessed pinball theme. Add an appropriate call out when the game's not being played, like : "Shhhhhh! Someone's coming!" Or "Let me outta this box!"

#39 11 years ago

Someone smart out there really needs to write a rom patching tool that can inject custom sounds and then recalc the checksums and inject that to the code rom.

Let me tell you.. I have an idea for Tron that would be freaking. Awesome. =P

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from theBRAIN:

how many would they need to sell and at what cost for the kit to make it worth the effort?

They can't sell any.
Once 1 person has it, everyone else could just copy it and load it on their game.
Not that the game needs more or different music anyway, fine as is.
Maybe you could add Metallica songs, and translite!

#41 11 years ago

is a mod like this possible to do or not?

2 years later
#42 8 years ago

Is there an update to this thread of modifying the song list on any AC/DC pin?
If so, how do we change the song list?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-song-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.