(Topic ID: 24189)

AC/DC Snoooooooooze...

By VisitorQ

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

490-stop-that-this-thread-is-getting-v.jpg

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrainO:

The 17 is my plinker/home defense. Cheap to shoot 9mm at the range. My ccw is a Glock 27. Baby Glock, and a little more punch with the .40. Hornady Critical Defense in that one

Hydroshock here. ")

#152 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrainO:

The 17 is my plinker/home defense. Cheap to shoot 9mm at the range. My ccw is a Glock 27. Baby Glock, and a little more punch with the .40. Hornady Critical Defense in that one

Winchester Ranger SXTs in my Glock 27 for carry.

#153 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

A new ID??
    Ummmm... Games that suck. Avatar?

#154 11 years ago

O'Doyle Rules

#155 11 years ago

re: scoring vs. modes progression

So where do games with scoring loop-holes like BDK fall into this conversation? Where the final code allows 1 billion points to be scored in only 30 some odd shots. At that point I believe scoring on such a game is hosed, so you're left with nothing but modes progression to keep you engaged

#156 11 years ago
    Quoted from NashBridgezz:

re: scoring vs. modes progression
    So where do games with scoring loop-holes like BDK fall into this conversation? Where the final code allows 1 billion points to be scored in only 30 some odd shots. At that point I believe scoring on such a game is hosed, so you're left with nothing but modes progression to keep you engaged

Based on Trent's ownage of ACDC in the video, it looks like that game has a big scoring loop-hole with little to no mode progression. I don't know what is the better way to make a game, maybe no scoring loopholes and instead balanced scoring?

#157 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Based on Trent's ownage of ACDC in the video, it looks like that game has a big scoring loop-hole with little to no mode progression. I don't know what is the better way to make a game, maybe no scoring loopholes and instead balanced scoring?

It's not a loophole. It's part of the rules that Lyman programmed on purpose.

#158 11 years ago

I think it was an unintended consequence of his scoring logic that he programmed. It's very "unbalanced" to say the least--because you'd probably have to beat Wizard mode like 3 times to hit 1 billion during normal play. Not sure why Lyman would make scoring unbalanced on purpose?

#159 11 years ago

What is supposed to be in the next update?

#160 11 years ago
    Quoted from DrainO:

What is supposed to be in the next update?

Tilt warnings with noise, a small multiball intro and maybe the encore wizard mode I am guessing?

#161 11 years ago

Swinging bell, strobe lights, train lights when ramp is hit, color changing Led lighting, possibly video mode, encore mode, tilt warning, etc.
    The new code is going to make this game awesome.

#162 11 years ago

Mine Premium is inbound tomorrow. Took the plunge, made the trade.

#163 11 years ago
    Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Not every game can be awesome like Avatar

^^^this^^^

#164 11 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I don't think this is true. VisitorQ is newer to Pinside, but he has been an active member of the Bash for years.

Yep, and he causes just as much trouble over there!

#165 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yep, and he causes just as much trouble over there!

...if not more!

#166 11 years ago

There are some ways to exploit the scoring in AC/DC. The good news is that since Lyman is a player and talks to several other players, scoring issues will be fixed and balanced. They already fixed Rock And Roll Train.

#167 11 years ago

#168 11 years ago
    Quoted from jalpert:

There are some ways to exploit the scoring in AC/DC. The good news is that since Lyman is a player and talks to several other players, scoring issues will be fixed and balanced. They already fixed Rock And Roll Train.

This is a very good post in many ways. Steve and Lyman are both ballers. They live for playing pinball just as we do; so they will accept constructive criticism as well as know what NEEDS to be implemented in software to make a good game great.

After owning TFLE, I truly believe Lonnie and Gomez aren't ballers like S+L; and it shows in their power pack (or lack there of) update for TF; it's like they didn't even play their own game. Now xmen is out and you have video game programmers involved with the code; and 1.1 showed this. It feels like a video game mentality pinball. 1.2 got better, but still has video game influences. Judgment is still out on xmen though whether Borg can get it right with his video game programmers.

All in all, I wish I jumped on the ACDC train for this fact; Ritchie and Sheets are the pinball players of the company and know what's needed to make a great pin....this is all speculation of course, but I think there's something to be said about this line of thinking.

#169 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I prefer modes over score but appreciate both...

Remember playing Super Mario Bros as a kid?

All I cared about was the progression, advancing to castles, new cool levels & enemies, then the stupid Princess in another castle DAMN I was hooked! The score on the top seemed so worthless to me. No one went to school the next day talking about their score, that was so "Galaga". Instead we spoke of levels, warps & etc.

Thats why LOTR & TSPP are so damn legit. LOTR = DTR, T&BA, Valinor... plus piles of seperate multiball modes & objectives. Dont get me started on TSPP, what 6 wizard modes later you get the SUPER DUPER MEGA EXTREME WIZARD MODE? Wow (FYI I have no idea exactly how many modes are in TSPP maybe 25?)

But after a 30 min session on a single game (mode based style) I can see why a fast, quick & dirty game has appeal in a collection. Sometimes you dont want to hike the Appalachian, you just want to drag race. ACDC offers just that, something different & its done well. Its not a game I will add to my collection, nope, but its fun for sure.

Well put, and my thoughts exactly. And, if you ask me, this post is the "Game, set, match" argument that refutes the notion that ACDC is a snoozefest. It's fast-paced play, and doesn't take a 30-60 minute commitment to have an excellent game. Whether you like that or not -- fine. But it can't be called a snoozefest.

Focusing solely on one shot is something that you could do on any game, and does devolve your pin into a snoozefest. But that's not the game's fault... it's the player's.

#170 11 years ago

Well all like what we like.

I am sure I will own a AC/DC at some point but for now it's Xmen.

#171 11 years ago
    Quoted from VisitorQ:

Well all like what we like.
    I am sure I will own a AC/DC at some point but for now it's Xmen.

Ok, then your post in the other thread saying that you bought AC/DC over X-Men yesterday was a mistake?

#172 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Ok, then your post in the other thread saying that you bought AC/DC over X-Men yesterday was a mistake?

Whoops! Yup.

#173 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

After owning TFLE, I truly believe Lonnie and Gomez aren't ballers like S+L; and it shows in their power pack (or lack there of) update for TF; it's like they didn't even play their own game.

..but...but...but...isn't it your favorite game in the whole wide world!?!?!?!?

#174 11 years ago

So what version of new code is this guy seeing at PAPA in his YouTube video for AC/DC Prem.?

It seems to have a new Multiball start animation at 4:38, but not much more. Let's hope the next update is bigger than this small mystery one.

#175 11 years ago
    Quoted from NashBridgezz:

So what version of new code is this guy seeing at PAPA in his YouTube video for AC/DC Prem.?
    » YouTube video
    It seems to have a new Multiball start animation at 4:38, but not much more. Let's hope the next update is bigger than this small mystery one.

Code is 1.55
    Yes the next version will include much more updates.

#176 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

..but...but...but...isn't it your favorite game in the whole wide world!?!?!?!?

Ouch, your making me sad Greg lol

#177 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm more of a "mode guy" ...but if you play and complete modes and work your way through a game, theoretically you're ALSO going to be building toward a high score. I don't overstrategize when I play - I try to progress through the game's objectives...by doing so and having good games, eventually I look up when it's Game Over and sometimes "oh hey, I got a new high score! Yay!" Does that make me "casual"...whatever that implicates? *shrug*

I could not have worded it any better and totally feel this way when playing, 100%
    Well said!

#178 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Ah...labels...I can't tell if you're being insulting or just matter of fact.

Matter of fact. If it was meant to be insulting, I wouldn't have added the IMO.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm more of a "mode guy" ...but if you play and complete modes and work your way through a game, theoretically you're ALSO going to be building toward a high score. I don't overstrategize when I play - I try to progress through the game's objectives...by doing so and having good games, eventually I look up when it's Game Over and sometimes "oh hey, I got a new high score! Yay!" Does that make me "casual"...whatever that implicates? *shrug*

Thing is, AC/DC has modes. They're just very different than what people expect. Saying you don't like AC/DC because you're a mode guy is weak, in my humble opinion. If you're a player, you should enjoy the challenge of something different.

I'm not a prediction guy, but I think AC/DC will stand the test of time when it's done. It has the best of both SR and LFS. It's also rewritten what a music pin should be. They nailed it. And people are saying it's too scoring oriented? That's crazy. Spend some more time with the game and you may change your mind.

#179 11 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I'm not a prediction guy, but I think AC/DC will stand the test of time when it's done. It has the best of both SR and LFS. It's also rewritten what a music pin should be. They nailed it. And people are saying it's too scoring oriented? That's crazy. Spend some more time with the game and you may change your mind.

For sure ! +1000

Jim

#180 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Athough I totally feel the way Rarehero does,it in no way means that I don't appreciate the hell out of ACDC.It looks fookin incredible!!!! I Would have one in my house in a millisecond if I could. I seriously doubt anyone would say different. Honestly,I just think the OP was fishing/trolling.

There are 180 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-snoooooooooze/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.