Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

After putting about 400 games on mine now, I have a couple of spots that to me would add nicely to this game. The game is a blast to play for sure but, there are a couple of spots that bug me.

The cannon modes. cannon fodder, cannon chaos, cannon volley. Getting these lit pretty much just gives you the points for the cannon shot, there is really nothing to make you care about which one it lit, this could be so much more. To me they should be made to give an award or start something new as it goes up a level. I'm thinking the first awards a bonus, the second a hurry up, and the third a cannon multiball that will start a multiball mode where every time you hit the cannon ramp and make the cannon shot (during the multiball) you get a jackpot.

The lower playfield. There needs to be a little more incentive for making the shots, IMO. It could be much more engaging if you were awarded an extra ball or VIP tickets for say making ten loops and three sets of target bank completions.

Otherwise a fantastic game and these two changes would fill in the two holes perfectly to me.

#2 5 years ago

If I have any negatives, it's about the geometry.

At least 50% of the time, coming out of the pops the ball is SDTM. I can bop the machine right when the ball hits the lane guide (on the left) coming out of the pops... but that is often ineffective. At least half the balls I get (even with ball save) are house balls.

The rules are good, IMO.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

At least 50% of the time, coming out of the pops the ball is SDTM

I do have this happen sometimes and its frustrating when it does but, I would say its more like 20% for me so, I can live with it. Besides that's going to be a much more difficult correction than tweaking the rules.

#4 5 years ago

Place a larger diameter rubber on the post at the left ramp entrance, it will help cut down drains.

AC/DC has one of the greatest rule sets ever devised. I'm pretty happy with how it is.

#5 5 years ago

Doesn't mean there couldn't be tweaks to make it even better.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Doesn't mean there couldn't be tweaks to make it even better.

You could probably say that about every game.

#7 5 years ago

Earning a few seconds of ball save would be cool.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

You could probably say that about every game.

Absolutely.

#9 5 years ago

The only thing that needs to be fixed are the cannon modes. Currently they do nothing.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from akm:

The only thing that needs to be fixed are the cannon modes. Currently they do nothing.

That was one of my main points, they feel unfinished to me.

I'm in no way saying this is a bad game, in fact just the opposite, I love it. It just has the couple of spots mentioned that too me feel like they need to be added to. I'm actually surprised I'm in the minority on this.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I'm in no way saying this is a bad game, in fact just the opposite, I love it. It just has the couple of spots mentioned that too me feel like they need to be added to. I'm actually surprised I'm in the minority on this.

Ive heard rumors they are going to be addressed in future code updates. Would be nice to see the song jackpot shot in different places and maybe even a roving shot like the super on T2.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Of course they feel unfinished, there's not even anything there to begin with. They are just lights, that's it. They don't give you anything extra that the cannon already wouldn't. Once you solidly light all three, they reset.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Ive heard rumors they are going to be addressed in future code updates. Would be nice to see the song jackpot shot in different places and maybe even a roving shot like the super on T2.

Yeah, if it were possible to grab the song jackpot before changing the song that would be neat (other than lighting F-I-R-E); otherwise there may never be a reason to switch off of War Machine. It really does put a premium on ramp shots because those give you the F-I-R-E lanes.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Yeah, if it were possible to grab the song jackpot before changing the song that would be neat (other than lighting F-I-R-E); otherwise there may never be a reason to switch off of War Machine. It really does put a premium on ramp shots because those give you the F-I-R-E lanes.

War Machine is great but there are plenty of other songs to choose that can jack up the Song Jackpot. I usually end up collecting my biggest song jackpots (350mil+) in either H2H or Hells Bells. War Machine is a path to get there but is rarely the song being played when its collected.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

War Machine is great but there are plenty of other songs to choose that can jack up the Song Jackpot. I usually end up collecting my biggest song jackpots (350mil+) in either H2H or Hells Bells. War Machine is a path to get there but is rarely the song being played when its collected.

You and KME are obviously tight and play together a bit... I've seen him do that... start off with War Machine or something then switch to Hells Bells in the few tourneys they've broadcast him playing AC/DC.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

You and KME are obviously tight and play together a bit... I've seen him do that... start off with War Machine or something then switch to Hells Bells in the few tourneys they've broadcast him playing AC/DC.

I dont play in tourneys really but thats the strategy i'll use at home if I'm going for a big Song Jackpot.

#17 5 years ago

I know this is gonna sound like a funny place to start, but I was playing nimblepin's WOZ last night, and when you get a multiball going and you're playing both the main and upper castle playfield at the same time it's a lot of fun. Something that utilized the AC/DC lower playfield simultaneously with the main more would make it an even better addition to the Prem/LE.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know this is gonna sound like a funny place to start, but I was playing nimblepin's WOZ last night, and when you get a multiball going and you're playing both the main and upper castle playfield at the same time it's a lot of fun. Something that utilized the AC/DC lower playfield simultaneously with the main more would make it an even better addition to the Prem/LE.

Managing both playfields is one of my favorite things with TZ during powerball mania, getting the powerfield shot with the callout is always a pleasure, not to mention the bonus it gives you in LITZ. With ACDC, its hard enough keeping the balls in play during multiball so, I'm not sure how well that would work. I can see myself just saying F-the lower and focusing on the upper playfield. However, if it had a nice incentive like making a couple of loops and completing a target bank would add a ball, that would be handy enough to give it a shot, especially if you already spent you standard add a ball.

1 week later
#19 5 years ago

...it would also be nice if the devil horn inserts meant something.

2 weeks later
#20 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

...it would also be nice if the devil horn inserts meant something.

? They already doed reactivate the lower playfield.
The "cannon" inserts are useless by now.

So.. where´s the code ?

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

They already doed reactivate the lower playfield.

What do they do on the Pro (that does not have a lower playfield)? And why are they lit on songs that do not have the option to go into the lower playfield?

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

What do they do on the Pro (that does not have a lower playfield)? And why are they lit on songs that do not have the option to go into the lower playfield?

They are small points in the Pro.

#23 5 years ago

Suggestions would be:

Make the cannon modes mean something
Add in a mini wizard mode if you've played all three multiballs
Add in a mini wizard mode if you've beat all three multi balls
Make the horned inserts mean something more than they currently do
Make the lower playfield activate with the upper on some multiballs if you stack correctly
Would be nice if there was some sort of two ball multiball that you could earn for stacking with other things (like gollum from LOTR, I&S on TSPP, Doc Ock on SM, etc)
Add the OPTION for some sort of ball saver off a made cannon shot (NOT BY DEFAULT, some people are sensitive to this, lol, on my game the ball drains off a make like 30% of the time, so frustrating)
Combo multiball for 50 combos

#24 5 years ago

Isn't the last code update over a year old now? Since they are still producing the game with the Luci version, the least they game to is a refresh on the code and fix those modes if they don't actually do anything.

I agree (from what I can see) that the cannon needs to be a bit more challenging, like the roaming super jackpot shot on T2. Is there no option for it to move or is it always in the same place? When I watch some people play (youtube), they shoot the bell instead of the targets. Can the left ramp or orbit be made from the cannon? What about the center targets? I'm assuming the right ramp wouldn't be possible...

Rob

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

When I watch some people play (youtube), they shoot the bell instead of the targets.

That's because the jackpot value is low and they'd rather get a bell hit to move toward the playfield multiplier when multiball starts (ball saver helps)

Can the left ramp or orbit be made from the cannon? What about the center targets?

Yes. Depending on what song you're on, you can shoot that shot with the cannon when starting multiball.

I will hit the left orbit with the cannon when starting multiball in War Machine if I haven't made that shot yet... because if you drain out of multiball, you need to hit that shot first before the VIP pass will restart multiball.

1 year later
#26 4 years ago

Hi ACDC Pinball Fans

It has been long since the last ACDC Code Update.
As I started a chat with some colleagues, we re wondering, why the code is still obviously unfinished.
Reading the ACDC code threads surprises me, as some people even consider the code finished and suggest, there r other pins that should get an update.
Well, let us see what I would consider as unfinished:
image.jpg

There r 3 big yellow inserts just in front and middle of the playfield. 3 big inserts indicating, that there should be some modes. These inserts have no own function yet !!! They re just flashing when u can load the cannon for a song jackpot. But this is already indicated, as the cannon has it s own flasher.
There r also some Horn inserts, that flash without real function. I read, u need to collect them to get back to the lower playfield, but u do this by collecting the notes, not the horn inserts.

So, my question would be : how could some pinheads consider the code finished, looking at the pic above...?

There came a lot of updates for the other Sterns, like Metallica, The Walking Dead. Metallica has become a great Pin with all the Modes and Finals implemented.
But the most commercially (?) successful Stern Pinball is still unfinished... Why?
This can t be too much work to finish this amazing code...?

So here my suggestions :

-Implement the cannon modes.
1st mode could be: load the cannon and shoot for a moving light. 2nd mode: load the cannon shoot the moving light and do it a second time within a timer. 3rd mode :shoot 3 times a moving light within some time. successful completion gives some bonus.

- implement the Horn inserts. 3x Multiplier for the shot during "Hell" song.

- implement a Mini Wizard Final Multiball, after the 6th song. Let the lower Playfield run simultaneously to the upper pfayfield. Use the potential of both play fields run together ! (Not many players can reach Encore after 12 songs, let average players also reach some mini final).

- Reorganize the Status Report. It's too confusing. What I need is on the first page : tour 3 Album 2 Jam 0
This I nfo is the most important one, and should be put on one page.
Second Page: Songjackpot Value and remaining Fire lanes

So guys, do u think Stern could possibly do something on that issue ?
I think this great pin deserves it.

Gary, Lyman, please !!!

Just have a look again at these big, sad, empty and useless inserts...image.jpg

#27 4 years ago

Would love to see some cannon modes too. at least make something that uses those inserts.

#28 4 years ago

The code could use a final polishing.

#29 4 years ago

Yes. Those poor insets have been discussed to death.
While it would be nice, it is not something I am expecting to ever get done.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from vinbuldog:

- implement a Mini Wizard Final Multiball, after the 6th song. Let the lower Playfield run simultaneously to the upper pfayfield. Use the potential of both play fields run together ! (Not many players can reach Encore after 12 songs, let average players also reach some mini final).

This is the only thing I really care about. I want an attainable wizard mode to try for. The thrill of a big song jackpot is great, but I don't have a sense of accomplishment when I play this game, most of the time.

Quoted from vinbuldog:

-Implement the cannon modes.

The cannon modes, I couldn't care less about, to be honest. More features may be better, but the cannon is my least favorite thing in the game. I don't think I'd like to have more emphasis put on it. Maybe if they made it a more varied shot for the song jackpot only, but if it's actual cannon modes, no thanks.

Quoted from vinbuldog:

Second Page: Songjackpot Value and remaining Fire lanes

I don't find the status page too confusing, but on the Song Jackpot value, I always thought it would be cool to show it at the end of the ball, and have it disintegrate or something so you can see what you missed out on.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I don't find the status page too confusing, but on the Song Jackpot value, I always thought it would be cool to show it at the end of the ball, and have it disintegrate or something so you can see what you missed out on.

This is a great idea.

#32 4 years ago

@deaconblooze
Your last idea is great !
As for the modes: u r probably right. There r enough spots where u use the cannon. Songjackpots, MB Starts, Hell Starts, "For Those about to Rock" Song...

But that's not the point. These inserts r there. In a very obvious place. So I look at them and always feel something is missing. If they were missing it may be different, but they r there. So, why not implement something, just to make it look final? No need of some deep modes, just "something own". Maybe some "added bonus" to the jackpot when flashing or some short and timed mode as I suggested.
I hope people understand it right: I think the code is great, probably the best rules I know. But why not make it not only feel, but also "look" final...?

For a hardcore programmer like Lyman this should be no problem. He s such an experienced coder, and also a world class player ! Why not putting some code on the inserts, think about our further ideas and make us all happy ... Right ?

#33 4 years ago

Tunes n stuff for the jukebox as well. I wonder if the "stuff" was intended to be some sort of mystery awards?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

If I have any negatives, it's about the geometry.
At least 50% of the time, coming out of the pops the ball is SDTM. I can bop the machine right when the ball hits the lane guide (on the left) coming out of the pops... but that is often ineffective. At least half the balls I get (even with ball save) are house balls.
The rules are good, IMO.

Put a oversized rubber on the post on the left side of the bell lane exit.This helps send the ball to the right slingshot.

2 weeks later
#35 4 years ago

For me:

1. Cannon Modes - This should be a priority. I mean, there are inserts on the playfield signifying modes that don't exist. That's a big issue.

2. Alternate Wizard Mode for completing the inserts on the bottom part of the playfield-- Getting all three Super Jackpots, implementing Cannon Modes and completing those, and doing all the "Super" items (lanes, combos, etc). If not a wizard mode, at least award something for getting all three Super Jackpots. That's a ton of work but currently there is no incentive to do it other than being able to say "I've done it."

AC\DC was a big seller for Stern so I don't see why they couldn't go back and update the game once (or twice) more.

#36 4 years ago

It's not really a rule, but my only complaint is when the game releases the ball from the cannon on its own (after a Lower Playfield mode, for instance) - 99% of the time it shoots perfectly off a TNT target and ricochets DIRECTLY DOWN the left outlane. That's bullshit. I've heard others complain about this so it's not just my machine. I'd like to see them either change the timing of the release so it doesn't do that, or implement a ball save in case that happens. Games with this "flaw" always have ball saves....example: Dr. Who. If the ball locks release the balls SDTM, you always get a ball save.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd like to see them either change the timing of the release so it doesn't do that.

If I recall correctly, it fires relative to the timing of a switch that opens as the cannon swings out from its rest position (the 'home' switch (?).. been a while since I fiddled with this). You can adjust that switch, but it's also the switch that controls the earliest-possible firing as controlled by a human. Changing it only a little bit can modify the rebound angle to catch a post and be pretty saveable or even just safe.

It was changed to fire into the TNT targets in an earlier software revision because it fired up the ramp on a lot of machines, leading to Bowen playing the game for an hour+ in qualifying at PAPA 15... (It's up on youtube sped up with fun comments in captions here:

). There's not really anywhere else 'good' to dump the ball that's neither exploitable nor dangerous given the margin of adjustment error in the wild...

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Excalabur:

If I recall correctly, it fires relative to the timing of a switch that opens as the cannon swings out from its rest position (the 'home' switch (?).. been a while since I fiddled with this). You can adjust that switch, but it's also the switch that controls the earliest-possible firing as controlled by a human. Changing it only a little bit can modify the rebound angle to catch a post and be pretty saveable or even just safe.
It was changed to fire into the TNT targets in an earlier software revision because it fired up the ramp on a lot of machines, leading to Bowen playing the game for an hour+ in qualifying at PAPA 15... (It's up on youtube sped up with fun comments in captions here: » YouTube video). There's not really anywhere else 'good' to dump the ball that's neither exploitable nor dangerous given the margin of adjustment error in the wild...

Well, at the end of the day I think a ball save if the game recognizes the left outlane switch within a second of being fired from the cannon would be fair.

#39 4 years ago

I don't think a ball save is necessary on the cannon. It's up to the player to know whether the cannon is lit or not (say, if the player takes the lower playfield on H2H, but the cannon has to fire automatically on the way out because it's not lit--player's fault). Plus, even if it's not lit and it does its auto-fire thing, you can press the fire button to shoot it out before the game does it automatically. That messes with the angle a bit.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

I don't think a ball save is necessary on the cannon. It's up to the player to know whether the cannon is lit or not (say, if the player takes the lower playfield on H2H, but the cannon has to fire automatically on the way out because it's not lit--player's fault). Plus, even if it's not lit and it does its auto-fire thing, you can press the fire button to shoot it out before the game does it automatically. That messes with the angle a bit.

Disagree. If the cannon isn't lit, its exit should not result in an instant drain. That's a software/design timing flaw and the player should not be punished. Other games compensate for this type of flaw...no reason AC/DC should be the exception. Didn't know you can fire it when it's in auto-fire, though...I'll try that next time.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Disagree. If the cannon isn't lit, its exit should not result in an instant drain. That's a software/design timing flaw and the player should not be punished. Other games compensate for this type of flaw...no reason AC/DC should be the exception. Didn't know you can fire it when it's in auto-fire, though...I'll try that next time.

Will have to agree to disagree then. I feel it's a part of the game and am of the mindset that, "If you know the cannon isn't lit yet you make the shot anyway that results in loading it, then you are personally responsible for the (negative) outcome."

On a side note, games like Doctor Who that do compensate, that compensation is there because the player can do absolutely nothing about the issue. For instance, in AC\DC, the player doesn't have to shoot the shot that loads the cannon when it's not lit, putting the player at risk. I.e., it's the player's fault when they find themselves in that situation. In Doctor Who, when a ball magically rolls from the upper ramp feed to the outlane (when by design the ball should have rolled into the inlane), that is an outcome the player has no choice in. The compensation makes sense there.

#42 4 years ago

ACDC is an incredible game and I owned a Premium for just over 2 years before I sold it last week. One of the reasons I sold it is that I was tired of waiting for Stern to update the game. It's now been over 2 years since the last ACDC code update...I remember several people posting that Lyman said it wouldn't be complete until 2.0. I emailed Lyman around the time that 1.65 came out in early 2013 and he said that there would be more added to ACDC. I don't blame him for the code not being complete. I'm sure Lyman wanted to add more to ACDC but Stern management didn't give him enough time which has had happened before.

For me I find the rules of ACDC to come across as shallow in their current state. Blasphemy right? lol. Everyone prefers different types of rulesets and this is just one I couldn't get into. Again, it's an incredible game that is fast, has kick ass music and some cool toys. However, the modes (the songs) all played the same to me, including the multiballs, and there are underused features. I understand that each song has a shot that represents it and that it's the shot to gain the most points during its mode. For me that got old after a while and even though there's deep scoring calculations occurring in the background I don't think about those while playing. The same goes for the games multiballs. For those it's keeping hitting the same two loops, or the two ramps or the drop targets over and over again. It gets repetitive. Like others have said the game could really use a mode where both the upper and lower playfield are activated at the same time. Maybe that could be the games mid wizard mode as Encore seems impossible to achieve and unlike other games wizards modes I never really had a desire to see it due to the games rules.

Then there's features that are underused.

1. The devil horn inserts
2. The cannon modes. Where are they?
3. The TNT detonator can only be activated during TNT...why lock features behind a single song?
4. The shot behind the bell is only used during Hell's Bells. Same complaint as above.
5. The mini playfield has a very basic set of rules. Why not have a hell loop champion high score and mix up the rules a bit down there? This is a big feature of the game yet it doesn't feel that important in terms of scoring. Also, it's use is locked to a few songs.

I hope that a final big update for ACDC is the the works. It's owners deserve it.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

Plus, even if it's not lit and it does its auto-fire thing, you can press the fire button to shoot it out before the game does it automatically. That messes with the angle a bit.

I did not know this. The auto fire to left drain has been a sore spot for me as well on H2H. That is something I will have to try. Till now I just try to avoid the right ramp during that song, unless the cannon is lit for a jackpot, then of course we have control over the cannon firing.

#44 4 years ago

Some kind of mini wizard mode would be cool on AC/DC

#45 4 years ago

I wouldn't hold my breath for an update on this. It will just cause the price of existing AC/DCs to skyrocket and pull money out of the NIB market.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from akm:

If you hit the fire button before it auto-fires the cannon out of H2H will it also use up one of your VIP passes?

#47 4 years ago

If the cannon is not lit to fire, hitting the fire button will use a VIP pass (and it won't launch the ball).

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

If the cannon is not lit to fire, hitting the fire button will use a VIP pass (and it won't launch the ball).

Well, there you go. Back to the original flaw then - autofire often drains your ball. That's not cool. Needs a fix.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

If you still have VIP passes and you put the ball in that situation, you are doing it wrong.

#50 4 years ago

When playing War Machine, I would like to see the VIP pass give the player the entire shot, not just one spin of the spinner.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chattanooga, TN
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Blacklick, OH
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside