Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ezatnova
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Is there a difference in the three cannon inserts? Do they act differently from one another? Is there a bonus for completing all three inserts?

1 year later
#2 9 years ago

i don't know. does anyone know?
- cannon fodder
- cannon volley
- cannon chaos

what's the difference?

#3 9 years ago

From what I can tell and based on other owners feedback those 3 canon inserts sadly do nothing. ACDC deserves another meaningful update and that should include the canon modes. It's one of Stern's best selling pins ever. I'm surprised there hasn't been another large update for it since March of 2013...

Tron got one last good size update just over a year after its previous update. Hopefully the same thing happens to ACDC.

2 months later
#4 9 years ago

Good question, have been playing this game a lot lately and was wondering the same question, has there been any word on an update for the cannon modes??

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Good question, have been playing this game a lot lately and was wondering the same question, has there been any word on an update for the cannon modes??

Sadly none and its beginning to look like Stern will not release another update for the game...Stern made a comment a week or so ago on their Facebook page that updates are in the works for all of their production games. However, ACDC is out of production and is now on their archive page...

I still have hope that Stern will make this right and release another update for the game. The cannon modes are an advertised feature and should not have been included in the game if Stern never planned to add code for them.

#6 9 years ago

Cheers PanzerFreak thanks for the info, definatly will be a shame if it nothing happens with the cannon modes, because all in all I think ACDC is one kick ass pin....

#7 9 years ago

The cannon inserts do actually do something. It's just hard to tell with factory settings. It annoyed me that my first ramp shot was always a cannon shot for the song jackpot right off the bat not even giving me enough time to build the jackpot. So I turned that crap off. Now I have to light the "fire" inserts 4 times, this lights the first cannon insert, indicating the cannon is ready to load for jackpot collect. But yes, it would be nice to have some code that put these to better use.

#8 9 years ago

Just for the sake of starting a discussion I'm curious as what we as armchair software developers would envision the 3 Cannon modes as actually doing and how would we tie them into the other rules of the game in a balanced way?

Cannon Fodder - A mode where you keep loading the cannon and sequentially need to hit A - C - D - C in order and then hit the lightning bolt to complete for a big jackpot. You can hit more than one drop target at once so long as they are still in order (Think Centaur). After completing this starts double scoring.-which can be stacked with triple scoring of the bell to make it 4X scoring.

Cannon Volley - A mode where you have to hit an unsequential lit cannon shot and then complete both orbit shots (This is where the volleying comes into play) before loading for a 2nd cannon shot. Do this 4 times to complete.

Cannon Chaos - This is a multiball that is focuses squarely around the use of the cannon and hitting targets with the cannon while in multiball.

Anyone else have any ideas? I for one would prefer they left the cannon modes out unless they actually improve the game. I could actually make the case for the game becoming worse with their inclusion since you'd be forced to play a bunch of modes using a dangerous cannon that results in a lot of ball drains. Unless these are super lucrative or tied into the song jackpot rules somehow I could see people just ignoring them and possibly even timing them out. Maybe this is just a case of leaving well enough alone since the software is pretty incredible as-is!

#9 9 years ago

Even if 'Cannon Chaos/Fodder/Volley' just meant that different targets were lit for Song Jackpot, that would be something. Say, the lightning bolt, the N, and the first A in AC/DC... whatever.

#10 9 years ago

No need for guessing. The original idea was:

Fodder: works as it currently does

Volley: the song jackpot shot would rove in sequence like t2

Chaos: the roving shot was to be random

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from sk8ball:

No need for guessing. The original idea was:
Fodder: works as it currently does
Volley: the song jackpot shot would rove in sequence like t2
Chaos: the roving shot was to be random

That doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to program. Did they just decide it was a bad idea?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

That doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to program. Did they just decide it was a bad idea?

Why I don't know why it never made it in I can see how frustrating it would be to have SJ lit and have to hit a random roving target.

#13 9 years ago

I posted this in the other ACDC update thread.

Lyman himself told me in an email from March 2013 "I think most people are happy with the game at this point but I feel it is missing a few things" and that he plans to add more as long as its fun and balanced. He also said that there is no set schedule for future updates as he's been busy with other things at Stern for a while now.

That email reply was roughly two years ago. Hopefully with the new Spike system now complete Lyman will be able to revisit ACDC. I really appreciated him replying to my question about future code updates. He's done a great job with the code for ACDC.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

The cannon inserts do actually do something. It's just hard to tell with factory settings. It annoyed me that my first ramp shot was always a cannon shot for the song jackpot right off the bat not even giving me enough time to build the jackpot. So I turned that crap off. Now I have to light the "fire" inserts 4 times, this lights the first cannon insert, indicating the cannon is ready to load for jackpot collect. But yes, it would be nice to have some code that put these to better use.

Interesting that you can turn that off. I think it's annoying too, but I understand that it's there to teach people about jackpots.

The flasher at the cannon also lights when jackpot is ready - so the cannon inserts don't seem strictly necessary for that purpose.

#15 9 years ago

Lyman has a lot on his plate. I wouldn't be surprised if those modes are added some day. Fortunately, even without them, the game still has some of the best software ever written.

#16 9 years ago

I believe the way they work now is you complete the fire lanes to start one flashing. The next time you make a cannon shot, one of the other standup/drop targets (not the middle lightning bolt) is lit for a cannon jackpot. Collect cannon jackpot and insert is lit solid. It may not be what was originally planned, but the inserts are used.

The folks suggesting they do nothing aren't paying attention. Take the glass off and see for yourself.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Take the glass off and see for yourself.

i want to play pinball and not marbles ..

maybe it would be a good idea if stern releases rule sheets with every update?

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

i want to play pinball and not marbles ..

The fact that the inserts sometimes flash and sometimes are lit solid should have given folks a clue that they aren't completely useless. The cannon jackpot is shown on the display just before the cannon rotates, along with any other jackpots available. You don't have to take the glass off. Just watch the inserts and the display.

#19 9 years ago

I wish the adult language setting actually said bad words

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from xbloodgreenx:

You pinball experience would be improved if you heard f-bombs etc?? Wow

#21 9 years ago

buy Sopranos

#22 9 years ago

I do believe there is a Steve callout with the F-word that is played every once in a while.

4 years later
#23 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I do believe there is a Steve callout with the F-word that is played every once in a while.

Found this thread looking for info on the cannon inserts and it was helpful.

Anyway, yes, in my two years of owning Vault Pro AC⚡️DC, I have gotten one F and one S, lol. Must be REALLY buried in the code. I was having a particularly frustrating game and shook the hell out of it, and Steve yelled something funny with S***, then I tilted it all together and he yelled “You F***** it up!!” I was cracking up.

Naturally, this is with family mode off and insults on high.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 12.95
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-rules-question-cannon-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.