• 54 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by SunKing
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

money.jpg
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 10 years ago
Quoted from chocky909:

Hey Bowen! What kind of timescale we looking at here for the first draft? Metallic Premium, Star Trek or The Hobbit?

Wait, I thought this was an ice cream thread

#102 10 years ago

So did I.

#103 10 years ago

Getting close to our 2nd target of $700.

#104 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Wait, I thought this was an ice cream thread

I like ice cream!

#105 10 years ago

Bump for ice cream, and a good cause.

#106 10 years ago

Expect the rule sheet sometime during 20XX.

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Expect the rule sheet sometime during 20XX.

Sounds like a JJP game release schedule (;

#108 10 years ago

A good day to donate to a good cause.

#109 10 years ago

Donated $20

#110 10 years ago

So POP has proven it's good at collecting money and game donations, but it's a little weak in the "here's what we actually DO" department...since you're now several fundraisers deep this year it might be good to take a second to demonstrate what's being given back. Like two or three years ago I heard you'd be taking pinballs into hospitals for kids to enjoy? Is that happening? All we're really seeing is successful fundraisers! Which is great! Just curious.

#111 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMolly:

So POP has proven it's good at collecting money and game donations, but it's a little weak in the "here's what we actually DO" department...since you're now several fundraisers deep this year it might be good to take a second to demonstrate what's being given back. Like two or three years ago I heard you'd be taking pinballs into hospitals for kids to enjoy? Is that happening? All we're really seeing is successful fundraisers! Which is great! Just curious.

Happy to elaborate to satisfy your curiosity.

In order to start POP as a legitimate non-profit corporation I needed 1. An idea and 2. Money to fund the idea. It was not two or three years ago that the idea came about. It was almost exactly one year ago. Pinball Outreach Project became a non-profit corporation on April 19th, 2012 and received our legal package on May 19th, 2012. After that I began fundraising to cover these start up costs and any ongoing operational costs. It cost almost $1000, through legal zoom to do this. Once that happened I now have 27 months to file for the 501c3 status.

So the initial fundraisers I had went to cover these fees. We also have to file for taxes, maintain a website, bank accounts and such. I’ve spent time designing a proper logo (which was 100% free), a proper website (spent $80), printed materials, etc. I thought it was important to have all these things in place before approaching some stuffy board of a hospital. Also, the program is designed to be one that travels from hospital to hospital however a few months ago I decided to broaden the mission to include community centers or any place where children could benefit from the program.

In December, I piggybacked onto someone else’s tournament and asked people to bring toys to donate to the kids at UCDavis Children’s Hospital. After the holidays I drove them to the hospital and left the POP program materials for the head of Child life services there. At the same time I also, through a connection presented program materials to UCSF Children’s Hospital. Neither of these hospitals has welcomed the program yet but I’m not discouraged. I’ve reached out to Oakland Children’s Hospital and have a meeting in the works with a board member at Lucille Packard Children’s Hospital in Palo Alto. I have also contacted the Marin County Boy & Girls clubs. These things take time, it’s a process, and I’m more excited than ever about what POP will do.

Continuing to raise funds is absolutely necessary to the future success of the program. Thanks to Kevin, Bowen, Mark, all the PAPA volunteers and staff, and all the people who donated by playing pingolf, and the other tournies at PAPA we now have $2300 to help continue to program. I’ve started using that money to work with a local screen-printing shop and SF Pinball location to make a shirt and swag design to leave with the kids after they participate in the program. I personally signed up to volunteer with PPM with their after school program so we can partner together in the future with education efforts.

As far as games, I’ve only had one donated to POP that I’ve actually seen.

There’s our year in review although much more details are on pinballoutreach.org. I know once the program is accepted into a hospital it will hopefully be much easier to get into more in the future. To answer your question: Yes, IT is happening. It will take time though. I consider our first year a success in setting the foundation for the program and have now switched gears to make this year the one where we put everything into action.

#112 10 years ago

$50 more to go for the 2nd target.

#113 10 years ago

Not just a bump....another donation.... Come on guys, we want this to work or not.

Receipt no 07G42098H08763052 another $25

#114 10 years ago

Maybe the indefinite release schedule is putting some off.

Hey Bowen, I will pledge an additional $25 if you will provide a reasonably firm estimated date of completion.

#115 10 years ago

Due to my work schedule I cannot promise a specific date of completion, because I would either release something inferior or just move the date. If you want me to be truly faithful to recent pinball rules, I can release a 1.0 rulesheet on a specific date, listen as everyone pans it waiting and wondering when the final version will be ready, then release several updated versions, including one I consider final, while everyone continues to add feature requests while asking whether it is truly the final version.

#116 10 years ago

Maybe you could release the bottom 18 lines of the rulesheet as a teaser Bowen.

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Due to my work schedule I cannot promise a specific date of completion, because I would either release something inferior or just move the date. If you want me to be truly faithful to recent pinball rules, I can release a 1.0 rulesheet on a specific date, listen as everyone pans it waiting and wondering when the final version will be ready, then release several updated versions, including one I consider final, while everyone continues to add feature requests while asking whether it is truly the final version.

Thanks for the response Bowen. Everyone understands this is a side project for you. I still think it was worth a shot at bribery

#118 10 years ago

Bowen,

Will you be communicating with Lyman on the finer points of the rules, or are you simply going off what you have gleaned from playing the game yourself?

#119 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Thanks for the response Bowen. Everyone understands this is a side project for you. I still think it was worth a shot at bribery

It's pretty obvious everyone is bloody gagging for it though. That's why $500 was donated in just a few days. Also now a rulesheet is 'pending' it will possibly deter others from writing one where they might've otherwise because they know a quality one is on the way.

Come on, leave those maths books alone and get ACDC done. I don't understand how to get a big jackpot!

#120 10 years ago

We will make the $1000 required for a good ruleset. I will make sure of it.

#121 10 years ago

Meh -take your time and do it right Bowen.
All for a great cause!

#122 10 years ago

I also would rather he took his time and did it right.

#123 10 years ago

I'd rather see a Bowen Power Pack released at xmas with a bunch of typos and false info

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from pauloz:

I also would rather he took his time and did it right.

+1

#125 10 years ago

There's a difference between taking your time making something and taking your time to begin.

What I'm saying is we own Bowen now and if we shout "Jump!" he should reply "How high?"

#126 10 years ago

Wait till the code is completely finished then work on creating a ruleset..

#127 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Wait till the code is completely finished then work on creating a ruleset..

If we raise enough he will do an update. Just dig into you pocket and help out Richard.

#128 10 years ago

Yeah not saying that donating is not fine, but like show many updates are left?? I heard the code will not be complete till it gets to 2.0 and if that is the case then it could be another year away??? No point in doing a ruleset now given that there might be 5 more updates say? like donate the funds then wait till the code is complete..

#129 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Yeah not saying that donating is not fine, but like show many updates are left??

The game is well over a year old now. I think it's safe to assume that there will be no more major rule changes. If you look at a game like Spidey, the rules were basically finished at version .6. All the dozen or more updates after that were just fine tuning and polish. It finished at 2.6.

Quoted from RGR:

I heard the code will not be complete till it gets to 2.0

The software numbering system used at Stern makes very little sense. It would never fly at a software company. The next release could be 2.0 or there could be a few more updates. Either way, there won't be any major surprises.

#130 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The next release could be 2.0 or there could be a few more updates. Either way, there won't be any major surprises.

Except for "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap Super Secret Wizard Mode" ...

#131 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

The game is well over a year old now. I think it's safe to assume that there will be no more major rule changes. If you look at a game like Spidey, the rules were basically finished at version .6. All the dozen or more updates after that were just fine tuning and polish. It finished at 2.6.

The software numbering system used at Stern makes very little sense. It would never fly at a software company. The next release could be 2.0 or there could be a few more updates. Either way, there won't be any major surprises.

Live song mode would be pretty big. There's now an option for it in the menu but it cannot currently be enabled.

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Live song mode would be pretty big.

Yes, that would be a big update, but I don't think it would impact the rules much.

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Yes, that would be a big update, but I don't think it would impact the rules much.

If at all.

#134 10 years ago

Agreed. If anything it would just expand the game even more which would be a welcomed addition

#135 10 years ago

ok, it was bothering me, so I just donated $25 to put us at $700! UPDATES!!! Great job everyone, thanks Bowen and alveolus for getting this started.

Though we still need $300 to make it a "good one"

#136 10 years ago

WooHoo~!

#137 10 years ago
Quoted from 2000_Alum:

ok, it was bothering me, so I just donated $25 to put us at $700! UPDATES!!! Great job everyone, thanks Bowen and alveolus for getting this started.
Though we still need $300 to make it a "good one"

+1 on this. $300 more.

2 weeks later
#138 10 years ago

Bump for a great cause.
Anyone else out there hoping for a rule sheet for ACDC from Bowen?
How bout chipping in a few bucks?

2 months later
#139 10 years ago

So. How far along are we on this?

#140 10 years ago

Lets give Bowen some time to bask in the glory of his amazing performance. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

#141 10 years ago

I sold my AC/DC so Obowen-Wan Kenobi is your only hope.

#142 10 years ago

Ha I was thinking about this last night as I tried to restart a multiball with a VIP pass and it didn't work. I wondered to my self why?

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Lets give Bowen some time to bask in the glory of his amazing performance. I'm sure it will be worth the wait.

It's been three months. How long do we have to wait? Not trying to start a fight, but I know a lot of us donated within the first week thinking this project was about a month or two out.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveD:

Ha I was thinking about this last night as I tried to restart a multiball with a VIP pass and it didn't work. I wondered to my self why?

You probably didn't have enough VIP passes to hit the required shots. The VIP pass will make a shot for you. During multiball, hitting all required shots (the 5 note targets, I believe) will add a ball. If you have already made 4 of those shots, and hit the VIP pass, you'll add a ball (and get a short ball saver).

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

It's been three months. How long do we have to wait? Not trying to start a fight, but I know a lot of us donated within the first week thinking this project was about a month or two out.

Dude, your timing is poor. Let the guy celebrate for a few hours before you start complaining. Bowen is a ridiculously generous asset to the pinball community and has more than earned our patience/consideration. Also, no promise of a release target date was stated or implied.

Congratulations and enjoy your victory Bowen!

#146 10 years ago

I missed this the first time around. I am in for $25.

#147 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Dude, your timing is poor. Let the guy celebrate for a few hours before you start complaining.

In no way was I complaining. In hind site, I can see where this could be read as both a complaint and poor timing. It wasn't meant that way, really.

Harry aka Dude

#148 10 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

In no way was I complaining. In hind site, I can see where this could be read as both a complaint and poor timing. It wasn't meant that way, really.
Harry aka Dude

Don't worry about it.
Not everybody keeps track of PAPA or Bowens personal life.

#149 10 years ago

You guys are up to $725. I'll repaste the link for anyone who does not have it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Asx0Mq3oRqzUdDhMeFE0dW9TbktXcGxVZ1dWMDNGb0E&usp=sharing

Also, for anyone who would like to know what some of this money is going towards specifically:

-In Sept. POP is bringing two games to a SF Children's Hospital.
-On Sept. 7th POP is bringing two games to the Big Brothers & Big Sisters of the North Bay annual picnic for the kids to enjoy.

-Nicole

#150 10 years ago
Quoted from analogprincess:

-In Sept. POP is bringing two games to a SF Children's Hospital.
-On Sept. 7th POP is bringing two games to the Big Brothers & Big Sisters of the North Bay annual picnic for the kids to enjoy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
17,000 (Firm)
$ 29.95
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 207 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-rule-sheet-funding-threaddonations-to-pinball-outreach-project/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.