Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by phishrace
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

For those of you who feel as though this game is too complex, here's what I've learned from watching Bowen's tutorial, playing the game for hours on end, watching Bowen's video again, playing hours and hours more, then back to Bowen's video, more games played, an hour or so on Pinside reading threads, hours more time on the machine, and finally Bowen's video AGAIN, only this time I took notes. Believe it or not, it's not all that complex. I thought I would enlighten those of you just getting into what may well be "The best pin ever made" (in my opinion!).

It's all about the multiballs folks. (My favourite goal when playing pinball)
Shoot ramps to light Jam multiball, Target banks to light Album multiball, and Loops to light the Tour multiball.

What I didn't realize until recently was that once you start a multiball, those same things that you needed to target to light it, will now give you mad points. So if you hit ramps to light Jam multiball, once activated, keep hitting those ramps!

(In order to add a ball during the multiball, you have to hit all 5 flashing targets. Using the V.I.P. pass will take one out for you, so if you lose the 2nd last ball and can react fast enough, you may be able to restart the whole multiball sequence! (VIP passes rock!!!)

Focus, focus, focus on lighting "F-I-R-E". (Goes hand in hand with shooting ramps which is great)
Advance your Cannon from Fodder to Volley, and finally to Chaos in order to light the cannon, enabling you to get a mad score by cashing in your Song Jackpot.

If you find yourself with Two of the Multiballs lit, and haven't yet launched into that, you might with to hold off until the third multiball is lit. If you launch the multiball with all three lit up, you can try for the Super Jackpot. To do this, you need to launch 1 ramp, 1 loop, drop 1 target bank, and then you should see a white flashing (flashing targets indicate a higher score than solid targets) LED by the bell. Hit the bell and cash that in!

Personally, I prefer shooting ramps for the Jam multiball, and alternating between either targets or loops, then cashing in a double multiball instead of all 3. For me, redeeming all 3 multiballs at once isn't as effective for a high score. I prefer to have multiple duo-multiballs if I can get them.

Once you have the basics mastered, it's time to power up and really watch your score skyrocket.
Get good at hitting the bell so you can get yourself the 2x or 3x multiplier before redeeming any of the jackpots.

If you know all of this already, the last thing to learn is the album jackpots. A little more complex, as it depends on when the particular song that you're playing was released. I'll let you check out the other Pinside threads for those details.

One final note:
when I first got the game, it was draining SDTM way too frequently. I read that if you increase the pitch of the PF, you can reduce that. It did work, but made the game WAY too fast. (Still frustratingly difficult)
I recently lowered the pitch back to the recommended 6.5 degrees and for whatever reason (maybe it's leveled left to right better than before?), I'm not getting the SDTM drains anywhere near as often.
Getting your machine setup p-e-r-f-e-c-t-l-y is crucial. I've had a love/hate relationship with my first pin and it's been a frustrating, yet rewarding learning curve. If you find it too hard, don't give up. Even my wife (who had almost never played a pin before this one found itself in our small condo) loves it and will play it not only with me, but also when she's home by herself.

Let there be rock!!!

#2 11 years ago

I was thinking...Don't let the ball go down the middle or sides.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

In order to add a ball during the multiball, you have to hit all 5 flashing targets. Using the V.I.P. pass will take one out for you, so if you lose the 2nd last ball and can react fast enough, you may be able to restart the whole multiball sequence! (VIP passes rock!!!)

Assuming you are correct about the five flashing targets adding a ball, why does the VIP pass start the entire multiball all over? If hitting the VIP pass button is equivalent to shooting one of the remaining lit shots on the playfield, shouldn't it simply add a single ball?

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Assuming you are correct about the five flashing targets adding a ball, why does the VIP pass start the entire multiball all over? If hitting the VIP pass button is equivalent to shooting one of the remaining lit shots on the playfield, shouldn't it simply add a single ball?

Great question. I never thought of that to be honest. Just happy that sometimes it does.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from Chambahz:

Great question. I never thought of that to be honest. Just happy that sometimes it does.

It's probably how the game's programming causes the add-a-ball feature to overlap with the ball saver. On some games when you are down to one ball and you trigger the add-a-ball it puts all of the balls back into play that were previously drained because the ball saver turns on. Some games only put one ball back into play and the ball saver feature doesn't turn on so only that one ball is added.

So if you have a four ball multi-ball and you drain down to two, the add-a-ball will add two more balls. If you only drained once, so three balls are in play, and you add another ball in then you're only adding one. Down to one ball and then you can add all of the balls back in. And you get the ball saver back as well. It's really closer to a mode restart than an add-a-ball because you can put more balls back into play simultaneously.

A similar thing happens on Monster Bash during Mosh Pit multi-ball. You start that multi-ball mode with two balls. You hit the center lane and it adds another ball with some ball saver time. You hit the center lane again with three balls in play and it adds the fourth ball. You drain one ball with three in play, so you're back down to two, and then hit the center lane, the game will add the drained ball into play plus another ball for a total of four (and more ball saver time).

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Quoted from SuperTurbo:

It's probably how the game's programming causes the add-a-ball feature to overlap with the ball saver. On some games when you are down to one ball and you trigger the add-a-ball it puts all of the balls back into play that were previously drained because the ball saver turns on. Some games only put one ball back into play and the ball saver feature doesn't turn on so only that one ball is added.
So if you have a four ball multi-ball and you drain down to two, the add-a-ball will add two more balls. If you only drained once, so three balls are in play, and you add another ball in then you're only adding one. Down to one ball and then you can add all of the balls back in. And you get the ball saver back as well. It's really closer to a mode restart than an add-a-ball because you can put more balls back into play simultaneously.
A similar thing happens on Monster Bash during Mosh Pit multi-ball. You start that multi-ball mode with two balls. You hit the center lane and it adds another ball with some ball saver time. You hit the center lane again with three balls in play and it adds the fourth ball. You drain one ball with three in play, so you're back down to two, and then hit the center lane, the game will add the drained ball into play plus another ball for a total of four (and more ball saver time).

Using the VIP pass doesn't start the multiball over. It only adds 1 ball. If you use it before the ball reaches the through it will seem like it adds 2 cause it will add the ball that drained plus another since the game doesn't know the other ball drained till it reaches the switch in the drain.

#7 11 years ago

Completing the five lights, with or without a VIP pass, will launch 1 new ball into play and turn on about a 5-second ball saver. Sometimes, a ball will drain at the same time or during the ball saver, and then it looks like 2 balls were launched.

Completing the five lights only gives a new ball once per multiball, but it can be done during any multiball, and your progress on the lights going into that multiball counts; that means you may only need 1 or 2 lights when the multiball begins.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Completing the five lights only gives a new ball once per multiball, but it can be done during any multiball, and your progress on the lights going into that multiball counts; that means you may only need 1 or 2 lights when the multiball begins.

Interesting. So if you purposely go into multiball with 4 of the 5 lights already completed, a single VIP pass can always be used to save your multiball?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Completing the five lights, with or without a VIP pass, will launch 1 new ball into play and turn on about a 5-second ball saver. Sometimes, a ball will drain at the same time or during the ball saver, and then it looks like 2 balls were launched.

Sometimes 5 shots arent required for the add a ball. Ive started Jam before and only needed a couple shots & sometimes only the right orbit for the add a ball.

3 weeks later
#10 11 years ago

how do you use a VIP pass and how do you know if you have one?

#11 11 years ago

The button used to fire the cannon will be lit if you have a VIP pass. I believe the status report also lists the # of VIP passes you have, if any. When you use the VIP pass it spots the most lucrative white arrow/note. So for example during multiball you can use it to add a ball. Or you can use it to extend the 2x or 3x playfield multiplier during Hells Bells.

#12 11 years ago

does it matter what version of the software the game has? i play one on location.

#13 11 years ago

Someone have a link to the thread that explains the album/tour jackpot methods in detail? TIA

#14 11 years ago

Having a VIP pass is best used if you are in multiball and see that with 2 balls on play field one of the balls is getting ready to drain. It will sometimes have a ball saver pop up to get back the ball that drained to still have a multiball to keep on playing that mode.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Someone have a link to the thread that explains the album/tour jackpot methods in detail? TIA

Song Jackpot thread.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from mattenno:

does it matter what version of the software the game has? i play one on location.

VIP pass was added in version 1.6.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-rule-basics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.