(Topic ID: 189439)

AC/DC remake premium or Dialed In premium?

By Radrog

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 215 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by woody76
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“AC/DC or Dialed In?”

• AC/DC 113 votes
    37%
  • Dialed In 189 votes
    63%

(302 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6E701BEB-8F51-4593-9D29-374D65B25B75 (resized).jpeg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
IMG_0743 (resized).JPG
IMG_0742 (resized).JPG
yo-dawg-dialed-in-so-it-can-take-pictures-of-you-taking-pictures-of-your-pictures (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Price is what it is.That being said , the ACDC Premium is more Bang for the Buck at thousands less.
The new shiny toy is not always best.

Agreed. DI will be on sale in a year or so ala Hobbit if you want it.

Tried and true versus maybe fun but horrible theme.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Standard DI is 8k, that's only 1200-1300 more and worth every penny. I own acdc premium and both jjp games. It's worth the extra money.

You still have to pay for shipping so tack on another whatever it is.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Both my jjp games came from automated and shipping was included. 8k will get a game to your door.

It's a bargain then, go get it.

#51 6 years ago

The LCD is a huge advantage imo. JJP and Woz got me back interested in pinball because of it.

Now Stern has the perfect sized LCD and implementation and Heighway has a home run on their hands IF they can start shipping Aliens in quantity.

For longevity, THEME matters a lot.

I wouldn't get either one right now, especially DI, save your $$$ for future pins.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Agree with others in that DI no matter how it sells, could have been so much better if they had listened to feedback right from the mic drop reveal back at Expo.

They did listen with TH at expo, i still dropped out because of all the delays and lies.

Should have listened on this one, maybe Lawlor just being stubborn.

Despite the hard core people, DI just isn't going to sell like Woz or TH because of the theme AND the pricing now.

ANY pin priced in that territory isn't going to sell huge except for maybe Star Wars.

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I'm actually going to be buying my first NIB soon, so not much experience on price. What should I expect to pay for AFMr, Dialed In Standard and AC/DC Premium "Vault?"

WAIT, WAIT and buy when they go on sale! Look at the Hobbit now. All the for sale threads to fund the next pin.

Have you even played DI? If not, see if you like it first, step 1.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

I'm impressed by just the utube videos....lol Sorry but true. Game play is MUCH more important then a title.

It takes both for long time love. And a lot of other factors.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I'm actually leaning heavily toward AFMr Special (played it at Pinfest), but if the others are going to be less or similar in cost, I might explore the others more.

DI will cost you more and you can get it later cheaper.

I would get Ac/dc premium over AFMr because its a classic phenomenal pin that you won't tire of quickly. It's tried and true for thousands of pinheads.

And its cheaper. Especially for a first pin.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Gotta disagree Ice - I don't think Aerosmiths LCD / speaker grill remotely compares to JJP pins display - I do think gameplay, wow & fun factor matter most for longevity more than theme - example sw pins to date.

Don't get me wrong, I love the JJP LCD too on my Woz. BM66 and AS are crisper, easier to view and i like the placement a little better. Both are excellent.

I agree as well with all of that, gameplay, wow factor etc matters along with theme.

Ac/dc has proven it, DI hasn't. We will see, i just don't think it will have mass appeal beyond pinheads.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

I like it. Just wish the game play involves more interactive play with the game play (sorta like a PS4 game).

I get that too. I'd like some James Bond interaction with Lawlor, not this theme whatever it is BUT I'll just wait for the next one, hope you guys enjoy it.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

The poll is telling the true story fellow Pinsiders!

It's probably because thousands of people already have an Ac/dc premium so the remake isn't that appealing.

Nobody has a DI yet.

If you like to play pinball, and you've got some excellent pin choices, then to limit it JJP isn't too smart is it.

But with 3 daughters myself, I get why you might like DI.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

Please look in my pins that I own. I own variety and DI is best in my collection.

I complimented you on your pins.

DI is now your best based on you tube videos. Lmao

#90 6 years ago

I agree with Tiger except that it's JJPs next pin that should do great based on theme leaks

The fact is non licensed themes don't sell well today

This one won't be an exception outside of the hard core pinball fan. Limited sales

I applaud taking the chance but....

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

.... but is well thought out and the flow and wire ramps in stead of cheap plastic crap Stern puts out and....

I don't have that cheap plastic on my GBLE, BM66LE or ASLE......

I'm plenty happy with those pins and how they play.....

As for the new technology argument, that is a big plus over AC/DC. I hate the old school dmd now

#94 6 years ago

I had checkbook in hand Tiger watching the big expo reveal!

Because of Lawlor. I'm still in a bit of shock but hey maybe it will grow on me

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

Stern needs to brake the cycle on huge profits for once and make a pin in the same category as JJ's ........lol

You are losing your argument by turning this into a Stern bashfest but hey whatever. I'll engage

#99 6 years ago

When JJP can actually announce a pin and ship it a month later like they promised they might actually provide some competition one day.

When JJP can make a pro version as good as AS pro for the $$ then they might actually become more relevant.

There are many reasons Stern dominates sales of pins.

And one of them is they don't do unlicensed themes

#101 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

....again in my humble opinion a licensed theme meams nothing too me. It's in the game play. I want good game play and less themes. My humble opinion only so please don't turn my thread in to a theme issue.

Too you it means nothing. The fact for most and overall better sales THEME matters and in my humble opinion DI theme sucks

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

I value your opinion. Game play rules. In PS4 is there themes that are any good.... No, it's game play!

I play my pins a lot more than my PS4 now but gotta say theme matters a lot there too

I play NBA because I like basketball and I buy VR games that scare me

When Star Wars comes out people aren't lining up to buy it just because it's a sight unseen Steve Ritchie pin. It's 100% theme right now

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Radrog:

Was Grand Theft Auto a theme..... No.... It's the highest selling game on consol of all time.

In fact it was a very cool theme. DI is a theme too, just a bad original one

#107 6 years ago

Aliens is about to start. Im sitting in the movie because I love theme.

Be back later

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Jack said they've sold over 1000 already, and he expects to sell another 1000 while making that first 1000. It's going to do great.

Jack is NOT the pillar of truth by any stretch

Always tells people what they want to hear

And I never said THEME is all that determined greatness. Just an important factor

Let's see what happens. I expect a group of pin enthusiasts to love it like any pin

In addition pricing is going to be a big factor also in slowing sales

I paid $6500 for my Woz. I don't believe there are 2000 buyers of DI pins over $8k

Unless the trend continues of dumping Hobbit and others to pay for it

#118 6 years ago

Everything remains to be seen Solarvalue

I love Lawlor pins too so I don't doubt it will be fun to play. I just don't want to own it. And I've watched plenty of streams to know enough

As for how it will sell, let's see, there are hardcore lovers like you and I don't see that pool being that big

Pricing is WAY out of control and I doubt people have made the leap to say $8400 and $9400 is the new standard in terms of selling thousands of pins

If I'm paying those bucks I'm waiting for the next one up. Sometimes it good to exercise patience

Bond 007 would get my $$$

#134 6 years ago

The art on DI is horrendous except for the side changes in the back box

IF this theme was a James Bond Lawlor it would be a grand F ing slam

It's not and it will only sell within our small community

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

People lament the art on ACDC, but DI is much worse looking IMHO.
Rob

Agreed. Might be worst art on any pin ever

#137 6 years ago

Another thing that is not insignificant are the magnet differences with Stern and JJP

One magnet on a Stern pin is equivalent to about 5 on JJP since they can't use the larger design

Since they "tested" it for months I hope the magnet wear issue has been fixed

The most overblown fake news issue EVER is the omg the build quality is sensational

It's all in the game play right?

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Point is, even if you discount it by 50%, that's still over 1000, which was the lifetime sales iceman44 said it wouldn't achieve.

Dude, they aren't even rolling off the line yet and the jury is still out.

But hey, I'm sure Jack has already sold about 5k of these

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Great redirect. Back to the point. Jack said nothing about 5000.
You said it Dialed In wouldn't even sell 1000. Jack says it's already sold more than that and at the current rate will sell 1000 more before the first 1000 are done. Even discounting what he says by 50%, it's STILL around/over your lifetime number already.
Given that you haven't even played Dialed In or Houdini, it's weird that you're somehow an expert on both.

I'm an expert on Jack lying so i'll say it again, it won't sell 1000 pins.

Did you watch the ridiculous roll out at expo?

Star Wars will crush it and IF Alien can ever ship in quantity it will be what's up next time for JJP real fast.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Same magnet cores and playfield cutouts for the magnets have been used forever and have worked just fine . I suspect in home use there will be no wear especially if taken care of properly . Stern is the only ones who have changed this on the past few pins by adding a 2in metal ring around the core.

MUCH better. Since TWD btw. And JJP can't do it.

Same crowd defending JJP. Lmao!

Bottom line, Stern will sell thousands more pinball machines in 2017 than JJP. For good reason.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ice must be tuned in bc hes super annoying on this sat night.......

Yeah the Spurs lost tonight. And i hate LeBron too.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Don't mean to lock horns with you Ice but in the interests of continuing our discussion:
I think one of the great strengths of DI is the placement of the magnets, I believe there are several underneath the playfield, not just the one over by the drones. If you watch any of the videos you can see some really cool ball movement from these magnets. Lawlor obviously spent a lot of time on this, because they really fling the ball around but not straight down the middle.

I'm anxious to see this pin getting out in homes and on location for more people to play and get some good feedback.

With 5 magnets it would have to be the smaller size i'd imagine. I really do like the saucer size Stern style though.

Nothing wrong with "locking horns" with a Texas Longhorn!

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. I was there.
Thursday night fireside chat. After the unveiling half the room left. People long suspected the title and it was confirmed. The ones that left ran across the parking lot to see scantly clad waitresses, have beer, and see alien.
People that left, or walked by during the course of Expo, not much. People that played one game and walked, not much. People that played two or three games, couldn't get them off it.
LTG : )

Beer, hooters and Aliens. Hmmm, what's not to like there

Well I of course heard the rumors but it still was a shocker to me

I'm sure the 1,000 or so people that buy it are gonna love it. Pat Lawlor, Keith, Ted and sound guy are a great combination.

If James Bond is in the future of JJP then I'm lining up right now on theme alone.

That's the great thing about pinball, if you don't like one there will be another one coming soon to pick from

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Lermods

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlisle, PA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (Firm)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider iceman44.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-remake-or-dialed-in?tu=iceman44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.