• Latest reply 9 years ago by JDD
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cannon ball sm.jpg
cannon ball lg-104.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Geremy13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

ACDC Ramp Mod - Railroad

Wheww..! Just got finished. OK, so I installed the Railroad Tracks Train ramp mod decal on our ACDC. Picked up a set of ramp mods from pinballlife.com. I saw this mod in person at the Louisville Pinball Expo... and I have to say that the pictures didn't convince me to make this purchase. But seeing it in person I knew I had to have it!

I have read many posts on folks that have done it, some doing it wrong, (installing on the top of the ramp), lots of pics showing the finished product, but not much comment on the installation itself.

So I will proceed to comment. IT'S A JOB!... Sure it's a 'sticker', how hard can that be?... So I went in with that mindset and proceeded to think this is a 15 minute job. Now here's the problem. I am a perfectionist. It must be perfect. So I begin to tackle the job. (1st comment there is no instructions so you just need to figure it out.) No possible way to install this 'sticker' underneath the ramp unless your hands and fingers and the rest of you is the size of a midget Barbi doll. So you have to remove the ramp... (I just finished the Eli mod on the Tron and removed both ramps... NOTE: It was more than a sticker so I planned it to be an all day job... AND IT WAS!...... AND it was worth it!)...

But this is just a decal so what am I getting myself into?.... Well, first I had to remove Brian Johnson... I have him mounted on the left ramp so he has to go, then 6 connections underneath the playfield that light up various parts that are connected to the ramp. None seemed to be properly marked with the 'colored' pen and so documenting all wire colors and expected locations was necessary for successful re-assembly. Then remove any fasteners that hold this ramp down, NOTE: I did not remove any lighting or switches from the ramp if I didn't have to as I was going to be careful installing this decal and not intending to affect any other attachments. Remove the 2 wood screws that hold the bottom of the ramp to the playfield, then tilt aprox. 15 degrees to the right to detach the 'crossover' ramp on the premium model, then tilt simultaneously about 22 degrees toward the front of the machine to attempt to 'clear' the LED's that are mounted on the back panel. This should now allow you to carefully remove the left ramp assembly for installation of this most wonderful sticker. Once removed place upside down on a carefully woven piece of indian knitted afghan and locate on a solid oak coffee table somewhere near a TV so that you can take a breath and relax a bit. If there is a refrigerator nearby that contains the remaining beers of your 12 pack, that will make it easier. (if there are any beers left.)

Now comes the hard part: Install that sticker! (approx. 90 seconds if you're careful and take your time.)

Re-assemble all that you have done above and you're done!

End result is very nice! Would I do it again?... YES!... but I would've purchased more beverages for the duration of this project. All in all I am very pleased with the way this looks and it looks just as I expected... VERY NICE... seeing it in person is much better than the pictures that I've seen.

Will I complete the second part of this project (the Cannon balls on the right ramp)?.... NO!

NOTE: Canon ball modification for ACDC Pinball machine for sale. $15 shipped! PM me and I will ship right out!

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Another location that is easier to install would be between the cannon and the flame plastic on the underside of the ramp. Just trim around the decal with sharp scissors or a blade.

Excellent Idea!....... Thank you so much. This is exactly what I will do... I just checked out the clearance in this area and I can see that it could be done without removing the ramp....

I am curious, since this decal is/ has adhesive, have you ever tried or suggested Windex or some other liquid to smooth out the bubbles. (micro bubbles but still)... any suggestion that you have is appreciated. Of course since it is adhesive it may not be considered anyway. I don't know.

Canon Mod for right ramp for sale: WITHDRAWN. (I'm gonna keep 'em now).

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I believe I posted tips on the original post but ...
I clean the ramp underside just to clear dust off if any.
After cleaning I peal back and cut off the first inch of the end of the decal so I can line it up from ramp entrance to end.
Using a plastic squeegee or even a credit card edge, I work from the end back to the ramp entrance pealing back the paper backing as I go.
The decals are resilient and I have started over one time without issue.

Thank you HOOKED... Yes, I have read the post and recommendations. They are good suggestions. I just am difficult when it comes to Perfection and so I was working on a way to make any micro-bubbles invisible. Of course they're not visible without a high powered flashlight, but somehow in my brain, I know they are there.

I appreciate all of your help and your excellent product. I am the guy that would laser cut out the actual canon ball to install each one individually .... WOW,, in fact, I just game me an excellent idea!... (I know a little nuts...)

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Lol I held the sticker like a pizza slice, loosened the flap at the bottom of the ramp and shoved it up. Have maybe one crease if you look close . Took 3 minutes.

Now that's funny right there!...... Seriously!.... I know all this LMAOL ONTHEFLOOR... abbreviated stuff and what not.....

But that right there had me on the floor laughing un-controllably ..... my wife walked in and was wondering what happened....?

And so, I quietly shut up, got up off the floor, and went back about doing my business, ... and finished washing the dishes...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
16,500 (Firm)
$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Geremy13.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-ramp-mod-railroad?tu=Geremy13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.