“ACDC Pro vs. Metallica Pro”

• ACDC Pro 23 votes
    32%
  • Metallica Pro 49 votes
    68%

(72 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

I know...I hate these threads too.

I don't normally have trouble with decisions like these, but I'm being incredibly indecisive. Two weeks ago the decision was easy, but do those who have played the new MET code have any comments?

#2 10 years ago

I would go Metallica Pro.

#3 10 years ago

If I was buying AC/DC and Metallica I would get AC/DC Premium and Metallica Pro. That being said, if I am only buying one and it has to be a Pro model I would favor AC/DC Pro.

#4 10 years ago

I have both and this is a real tough question. The ACDC would win by a nose.

#5 10 years ago

I went AC/DC Premium and Metallica Pro. I am very happy with my choice.

#6 10 years ago

Just to clarify, I can only buy one, and it needs to be a pro.

#7 10 years ago

ACDC wins on only 1 question but think long term. If you will have both in the future Met Pro now and ACDC Prem somewhere down the line

#8 10 years ago

I would go Met pro. I think there is so much more you are missing on the AC/DC pro vs AC/DC premium. On Met I can live without the hammer ,moving cross, snake jaw, coffin lock and the lights.

You can LED the Met pro and the light show is still pretty darn good. I love my pro and don't have any regrets about not getting the premium.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

By the poll numbers I don't think many people are taking notice of your comment. No way is Met pro a better machine than ACDC pro...

#10 10 years ago

AC/DC Premium > Metallica Pro > AC/DC Pro

You don't see a lot of people jumping on AC/DC Pro. The Premium has kind of become the standard go to and offers a lot over the Pro. With Metallica, the benefits of the Premium over the of the Pro are mostly cosmetic and some actually prefer the gameplay of the Pro due to the captive ball. The lightshow on Metallica Pro is still pretty slick with all of the strobe flashers.

#11 10 years ago

Not so fast. While I own an AC/DC premium (and love it), the pro model is nothing to sneeze at. In fact, there are a few advantages, including faster play and the absence of a left to right ramp diverter (which I actually find quite annoying at the start of the game).

In terms of pure fun between AC/DC and Metallica, I think it's AC/DC by a mile. Even with the new update, Metallica just doesn't have the polish of AC/DC, and the music is far better integrated on AC/DC.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

the music is far better integrated on AC/DC

I would disagree with that. The music is integrated into the *rules* of AC/DC, but you can pop open the browser and swap songs and the game really won't care, as long as you can remember that Shoot to Thrill that you just added is the right ramp shot, or whatever. You could re-theme AC/DC to not even have a single AC/DC song (people have) and it pretty much still works fine.

The music on Metallica is was more integrated into the *game*. It's not generic, the songs are really starting to be very much tied to the modes thematically.

So I really don't think you can make that statement now. They're just different.

#13 10 years ago

What is the average price difference in AC/DC Premium vs. Pro? Can you still get both NIB from distributors?

#14 10 years ago

Stay away from ball drainer pro on ACDC. Always go premium for either game. I like ACDC music more but design of the Metallica more with greAter shot selection. Too bad I get killed on Met pin much more vs ACDC when I play.

#15 10 years ago

Met pro for sure.

#16 10 years ago

met pro....if u want an ac/dc save up the difference and get premium

#17 10 years ago

I have been playing at a local theatre they have Met. pro and AC/DC pro. The issue is the Met. pro has Vs.1.1 and the AC/Dc is Vs 1.65 . So I don't know the how they would play with an up to date game code. First impression . I like the flow of AC/DC better. I like the metal ramps on Metallica better. If I had to choose based on my handful of games on each with outdated code . I would pick AC/DC .

#18 10 years ago

MET pro over Acdc pro any day, Acdc premium over MET pro any day

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from tb0ne:

A follow up to that then... Are you buying NIB? If you are, as someone else said, save up for a while longer. HUO AC/DC premiums have almost hit the territory of "value". Luci really smacked the price of them, so if you don't mind not having the latest and greatest version of the premium, you can find a heck of a bargain.

#20 10 years ago

Metallica still here and acdc long gone

#21 10 years ago

Bought an ACDC Pro, and I love it. Metallica Pro is on my wishlist, though!

#22 10 years ago

Wait for final code for Metallica, then make your decision. Right now, AC/DC wins due to it depth. But give Lyman a chance to finish Metallica.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

I went AC/DC Premium and Metallica Pro. I am very happy with my choice.

Me also........

I do like the ACDC pro, its wicked fast. But with the new code out for met, i give it the nod. Since you are only taking the plunge on one, id also pick up the met pro now and wait for a acdc prem down the road.

#24 10 years ago

ACDC pro wins because it just flows so much better than MET pro. Whether it's code or integration, there is just something missing in MET and I like Metallicas music more.

#25 10 years ago

Lately I've been playing ACDC pro more than Metallica (even with the new code). But my wife plays MET pro more than anything we have.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

#26 10 years ago

If gameplay is the most important aspect to you then you will LOVE ACDC pro - the software is what makes ACDC great. It's missing the bling, drop targets and swinging bell (the Hemi pro bell mod removes much of the SDTM risk and adds loads to the satisfaction of this shot though). On the positive side it's missing the ramp diverter and lower playfield, which detract from gameplay IMO. Of course if you can't avoid staring at Angus and absolutely must have pretty lights and a lighter wallet then Premium is the only way to go

You'll FEEL like you are getting more with Met Pro with the steel ramps and more "stuff", and you are. So if "more is always better" is how you roll then get Met Pro. But I don't just stare at my games, I play the shit out of them. And the gameplay of Met, as much as I like it, just isn't anywhere near ACDC pro.

#27 10 years ago

Lots of good info here - thanks all. Unfortunately opinions are pretty 50/50 and it was completely unhelpful in my making a decision So I made the decision based on band preference alone. Metallica it is.

#28 10 years ago

Go with Metallica, since they are the greatest band of all time!!

#29 10 years ago

AC/DC or MET, you really can't go wrong with either one! Buy both if you can. I'am sure you get a discount if you buy 2 at once.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I would disagree with that. The music is integrated into the *rules* of AC/DC, but you can pop open the browser and swap songs and the game really won't care, as long as you can remember that Shoot to Thrill that you just added is the right ramp shot, or whatever. You could re-theme AC/DC to not even have a single AC/DC song (people have) and it pretty much still works fine.
The music on Metallica is was more integrated into the *game*. It's not generic, the songs are really starting to be very much tied to the modes thematically.
So I really don't think you can make that statement now. They're just different.

I disagree with your disagreement. You can change the songs in any modern Stern, but that doesn't make the songs less integral to the intended design. Both games match the music and theme pretty well, but on Metallica, song choice is more or less window dressing. For AC/DC, the song isn't just your soundtrack; each song has a specific set of goals and scoring rules that match the song's theme, and each mode requires a different focus and approach.

#31 10 years ago

That's a pretty tough pick, but having played both quite a bit, I'd give the edge to AC/DC Pro. It has much better code, even after recent updates, and I think that it's an overall better theme. Both are great machines though, and Metallica wins out big time on the art package, but for actual gameplay, I prefer AC/DC Pro.

#32 10 years ago

I'd save up for an AC/DC premium if you can stand the wait.

I really like Metallica (pro and premium).

I really love AC/DC (premium).

The difference between the pro and the premium on AC/DC is enough to put AC/DC pro in the "like" category. I will say that I like Metallica pro a bit better than AC/DC pro.

But between ANY number of pinball games, I'll go with a game that I love, over a game that I like any day.

#33 10 years ago

Also, if you have to go with the PRO version of either, my guess is that the Metallica would retain a higher resale value 10-20 years from now. Just a guess based on the size of the U.S. fan base.

#34 10 years ago

What is the average price difference in AC/DC Premium vs. Pro? Can you still get both NIB from distributors?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

2K. Most distributors can do 4500 shipped on Pro and 6500 shipped on Premium. Subtract 200~ if picking up.

#36 10 years ago

i couldn't bring myself to buy a pro anything if i know there is a more feature rich premium version for a little more money available. i like spinners, led lighting and more toys etc. save up a bit more and go premium is my suggestion.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Go with Metallica, since they are the greatest band of all time!!

The Grateful Dead

#38 10 years ago

AC/DC Premiums in the low-$5's do exist.

#39 10 years ago

Both great games, but I would go Metallica. The new code that came out today is just awesome! The game just keeps getting better and better...there is a reason why Lyman told me he purchased a Metallica

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pro-vs-metallica-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.