Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by str8cash
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image1.JPG
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I've been offered a pro and a premium to purchase and was wondering if the premium price tag is worth it?
Pro $5400 canadian with lots of mods.
Premium $9000 canadian. looks pretty stock. Less then 300 plays.
I've personally never played a pro, only a premium and was wondering if it's worth the extra $3600? Anyone have any advice on this? I could buy another game with the $3600 difference. Thanks

#2 3 years ago

Personally, I prefer the Premium and wouldn't consider a Pro.
I'd consider a Pro for StarTrek, Walking Dead, or Metallica.
My opinion anyway.

#3 3 years ago

It really depends on "exactly" what you want out of the game. I have both the pro and the premium. I too swore I would not get a pro, but got one to do my light mod development on, and I actually like it a lot.

Premium..
The swinging bell is a SWEET shot. I love it.
Lower playfield, I hardly EVER use it.
Drop targets, I LOVE drop targets and this is big for me.
Colour changing inserts, very cool but not a deal breaker,
Colour GI, again very cool, but that's why I built the light mod, so I have the mode-locking colour GI.

Pro..
Angus face, fugly, but I have a sweet Helen decal over it.
FAST, and I mean brutal. The pro has no momentum taken out of the ball by any drops so absolutely FLIES around the playfield.

To choose between the two you have to be clear in your head exactly which of the differences are important to you. I can say though, that during gameplay I totally forget which one I'm on except I get my arse handed to me more by the pro.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

My opinion anyway.

Exactly this

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

My opinion anyway.

See id rather have a premium on twd and star trek and pro on met . In this case with the price being so crazy different id definitely go with the pro lol.

#6 3 years ago

It's one of the few stern pro's i wouldnt even consider, it plays very differently from premium. The way the ball reacts off the stand ups as opposed to the drops makes a huge difference to me.

#7 3 years ago

get the premium, you will not regret it!

#8 3 years ago

Not worth the extra $3600 IMO.

#9 3 years ago

They are both great machines, but I would get the pro, mod it up, and buy another game in addition with the money left over. AC/DC Pro can be modded into an aggressive beast. Don't personally care about the lower playfield myself.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Not worth the extra $3600 IMO.

I had a pro and that's what I sold it for 3,600.00. Ed

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

It's one of the few stern pro's i wouldnt even consider, it plays very differently from premium. The way the ball reacts off the stand ups as opposed to the drops makes a huge difference to me.

I concur. ACDC pro is probably the most stripped down pro of any game Stern has ever released.

Rob

#12 3 years ago

Pro sucks.

#13 3 years ago

I am quite satisfied with my stripped down pro. Lol!

#14 3 years ago

The pro is hella fun. The premium is a huge upgrade feature wise. Tough call on which to choose. The newer pro has a swinging bell which is a nice addition. 3600? I would prob get the pro and spend a bit on some easy upgrades

#15 3 years ago

For me it was the premium, for MET it was the pro. Just my opinion

#16 3 years ago

Still a kick ass game.

#17 3 years ago

If the Pro is the newer style with swinging bell, get it. That is what I have, and once I added the 3D Train model, I felt very happy with my Pro. I don't feel I am missing TOO much without the light show and "monorail". $3000+ is a lot of extra money.

#18 3 years ago

TimeBandit's Total Lightshow mod is a pretty awesome upgrade!

#19 3 years ago

Pro. I have been considering selling mine to get a premium, but just cant justify the cost. The swinging bell is cool, the lower playfield sucks. The gi can be had for 280 bucks now. Only thing left is the mono rail thing. I like my games brutal and fast, so the pro fits this perfectly!

#20 3 years ago

It seems odd to me that so many premiums seem to be for sale but rarely a pro. Yet everyone swears on a premium. I very recently got a pro added the bell, LEDs a ColorDMD and still have lots of money in my pocket. Sure the premium is probable better but the pro in no way sucks.

#21 3 years ago

For me premium all day over pro allthough I must admit this is a huge price difference

Perhaps if you add Helen decal and time bandits GI mod ...... Nop, still want Premium with acdc

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from fish1975tx:

I would get the pro, mod it up,

That seems odd to me though, you buy the pro for less then stick a bunch of $ in it but still won't have the lower PF and color changing insert lighting......the pro has stand up targets for the AC/DC targets on the left correct?

Id go premium if you want this title....that is my opinion.

I always weigh what can I mod to make it into the LE/Premium play similarity realm......so far the only 2 that I thought were close enough were Mustang and TRON that I went for the pro version.

But hey, its your $......spend it how you like!

#23 3 years ago

I struggled with this on too when I bought the premium. It's a helluva lot of fun. I'd wait on both for a better price on a premium.

#24 3 years ago

I played them both before making a decision and they are both fun, but the premium is not worth the price difference. The one complaint I have with the Pro is that it's almost too damn fast. It can be very frustrating; probably one of the fastest, if not the fastest, game I have ever played. You won't be disappointed either way.

Dan

#25 3 years ago

People don't like the pro because it's simply too fast

#26 3 years ago

Premium all the way, but not at that price. I would look for a cheaper premium. I wouldn't even consider a pro after playing both. It's a good game, but the premium feels more solid, and a much better quality to me. Acdc is one of the tables where the premium is well worth the cost difference, but the one you're looking at is too high price

#27 3 years ago

I don't know about the price difference, but I *LOVE* the color changing inserts on the premium, love the swinging bell and while the lower PF is not as well integrated into the game as it could be, to me it's a blast to play so I actually play the lower PF songs quite a bit.

#28 3 years ago

ACDC Premium is one of Stern's best and arguably one of the finest pinball machines ever made. Having said that, I have owned the Pro for over 3 years with no intention of selling. Let's break down the differences:

Swinging bell: sorely missed on the Pro, but Hemi's bell mod or the new LED version is a decent alternative
Color changing inserts: nicely integrated, but not as dramatic as other games (Met, ST, etc.)
Train: just a toy that can be purchased separately; I have one on my Pro
Drop targets: probably the biggest difference between the two models beside the lower playfield; a straight shot to the TNT targets is sudden death; this is personal preference and likely linked to the 'speed' everyone mentions when discussing the Pro... it makes the game play very differently and changes shot strategy; speeking of speed, how many Premium owners disable the crossover ramp?

Finally, let's discuss the lower playfield. It's a love it or hate it feature so I won't offer opinion here as someone will contradict it. I will mention this: How many Premium owners, after a few years of ownership, jump up and down for joy when they're in the lower playfield?

To sum up, the differences are worth it to you or not, but understand they are two completely different games. Folks will say the Pro is stripped down, and I would agree to a certain degree. You'll likely want to mod your game... LEDs, train, FF speakers, Helen decal, bell mod, powdercoat, etc. But once it's ready to go, prepare to have your ass handed to you unlike any other Stern game.

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#29 3 years ago

The best part of AC/DC is the kick ass ruleset. This is included on both models.

#30 3 years ago

The pro is fast. Super fast. Both are fun games.

Quoted from Maken:

The best part of AC/DC is the kick ass ruleset.

And Lyman has more coming. Stay tuned!

Quoted from Mudflaps:

how many Premium owners disable the crossover ramp?

I've never considered it.

Quoted from Mudflaps:

I will mention this: How many Premium owners, after a few years of ownership, jump up and down for joy when they're in the lower playfield?

I don't believe that the rules for the game are complete, including the lower play field. Stay tuned! Multi ball with both play fields active? Lower loop champion? Who knows?

*I have no inside knowledge and the above may never happen.

#31 3 years ago

I have a Pro with lots of mods including "Helen" and a Premium Train. Of course I would like a Premium but I think the difference in money is the deciding factor. If money is no object then it's the Premium if it does then the Pro is surely a good choice. I just don't understand why the Pro gets bad mouthed so badly. It's a great game.

#32 3 years ago

The main problem with the pro is the playfield picture of angus, it's really just awful. If you could replace that, pro is perfectly fine for 4K.

That said, the premium is far superior. Swinging bell, train, drop targets, real service rails, a bigger sub?, 12" vs 8" I believe, traditional lockdown bar and powder coated rails and legs.
How does the VIP pass work on the pro since there is no fire button?

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Works just the same.

image_(resized).jpg

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You use the fire button because there is a fire button.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The main problem with the pro is the playfield picture of angus, it's really just awful. If you could replace that

With what, the uglier and meaningless Helen decal. I guess your into pinup dolls too.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

With what, the uglier and meaningless Helen decal. I guess your into pinup dolls too.

Useless or not, the Helen decal is WAY better than the angus face.

#37 3 years ago

I beg to differ, Angus is ACDC, Helen is a pin up doll.

#38 3 years ago

It's really too bad these threads degenerate into arguments and insults. Good luck OP, hopefully you can play both and make up your own mind.

#39 3 years ago

Premium or LE,for sure.
I found the pro to be lacking in shots,cross over ramp was a big thing I noticed.
If your cannon is ready,you can access it from either ramp.

Great for multiball as well.
Bell shot on premium is at least a shot,with a hole behind it.
Even the TnT targets are a lot more fun,with the plunger going off.

But what do I know,I like Metallica way better
Just traded my AC/DC LE for GOTLE and cash.

#40 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone weighing in. It sounds like premium is the way to go but our 40% exchange doesn't make sense right now. I think at $5000 Canadian, the pro version with the bell mod and leds is probably best for me until the premium drops in price some. I can find the helen decal and have found this translite for $200 online (Pic is twilight's)

image1.JPG

#41 3 years ago

If you have the money, love harder, fast pins, can find one in your area and as a bonus - really love the band, get the premium. If some of those reasons above are not checked off go with the Pro. I really like them both.

I did not like ACDC when I got it 6 months ago. Then one day it all clicked and racking up big bonuses and hitting the bell to multiply them before the cannon shot was so fun and such a rush for me. My favorite shot is when I trap a ball on each flipper and used my chin to hit the fire button for a jackpot with the cannon! Awesome!

Guests and newbies like it also. My 73 year old Dad is visiting and ACDC is his favorite to play right up there with ST? He does well on ACDC also. Go figure.

Good luck in the hunt.

#42 3 years ago

I like Metallica better too but can't find one for $5000 cdn anymore. Everyone seems to be hoarding them right now. And ac/dc is being offered now.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from str8cash:

Thanks to everyone weighing in. It sounds like premium is the way to go but our 40% exchange doesn't make sense right now. I think at $5000 Canadian, the pro version with the bell mod and leds is probably best for me until the premium drops in price some. I can find the helen decal and have found this translite for $200 online (Pic is twilight's)

image1.JPG

Helen decal: yes
That translight: no

Hopefully the owner has the original translight?

Good luck with purchase!

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

You use the fire button because there is a fire button.

My bad, didn't realize it had one.

#45 3 years ago

I think both versions are great. I owned a premium for a couple years before I sold it. My only complaints are regarding the rules and the limited use of the premiums features / shots. The lower mini playfield is a cool toy but its rules are very shallow, its not integrated with any multiball and it doesn't seem to ever result in a high payoff. The TNT detonator is a neat little toy (especially with a light mod) yet it can only be activated during TNT...The shot behind the bell is also pretty much useless, is used very rarely (only to activate hell mini playfield in Hell's Bells I believe) and when you finally do hit it there's either no payoff (just kicks out) or you just get the same shallow mini playfield rules.

For the price I would snag up an ACDC Pro LED and add a couple cool mods to it. The premium is awesome but I can't believe so many shots / features are underused and locked behind only certain modes.

#46 3 years ago

Apologies for going ot. Eskaybee, are you affiliated at all with the sweet guitar hardshell case company SKB ? Just made the connection.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Apologies for going ot. Eskaybee, are you affiliated at all with the sweet guitar hardshell case company SKB ? Just made the connection.

Nope, its just my initials

#48 3 years ago

IMO the lower PF is quite a bit of fun. I don't know the in's and outs of the rules yet. But just think the geometry and the shots are nice and fun on the lower PF. Now, that's not saying I'd like to play it all the time, but occasionally it is fun and truly for a now player or a novice it's very fun.

I don't think the rules are complete, maybe they are done according to Stern, but in a perfect world where a product was worked on until it was 99% or better, I think there should be more with the lower PF such as having the lower PF active during some type of multiball. Like TSPP (etc..) where you have to keep an eye on two PF simultaneously. I don't know how/what there should be just that the way the lower PF works now it's kind of limited and it's a separate game from the main game.

As far as color changing lights, while not as comprehensive as STLE for example, they are very nice including the upper lanes and the stand-up targets not just the major shots. While not one million percent essential, if aesthetics are at all important (to me) this feature ranks up there with anything such as fiber lighter ramps on Tron. What I mean, the color changing ramps really don't effect the gameplay but they look super cool and when not present they are missed. To me the same would be for the color changing inserts.

Not sure if the pro has the moving band members but that's another nice feature (not the best but cool none the less).

Love the drop targets and the stand-up center target for TNT as well.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

IMO the lower PF is quite a bit of fun. I don't know the in's and outs of the rules yet. But just think the geometry and the shots are nice and fun on the lower PF. Now, that's not saying I'd like to play it all the time, but occasionally it is fun and truly for a now player or a novice it's very fun.
I don't think the rules are complete, maybe they are done according to Stern, but in a perfect world where a product was worked on until it was 99% or better, I think there should be more with the lower PF such as having the lower PF active during some type of multiball. Like TSPP (etc..) where you have to keep an eye on two PF simultaneously. I don't know how/what there should be just that the way the lower PF works now it's kind of limited and it's a separate game from the main game.
As far as color changing lights, while not as comprehensive as STLE for example, they are very nice including the upper lanes and the stand-up targets not just the major shots. While not one million percent essential, if aesthetics are at all important (to me) this feature ranks up there with anything such as fiber lighter ramps on Tron. What I mean, the color changing ramps really don't effect the gameplay but they look super cool and when not present they are missed. To me the same would be for the color changing inserts.
Not sure if the pro has the moving band members but that's another nice feature (not the best but cool none the less).
Love the drop targets and the stand-up center target for TNT as well.

Well stated and a great example of advantages of the Premium.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

And Lyman has more coming. Stay tuned!

Are you being serious or sarcastic here?

Rob

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 194.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Athens, TX
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 10.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Decals
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 50.00
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, NY
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Lehigh Valley, PA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside