• 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by grh450
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I got a new in box ACDC PRO.
Production month of October 2012.
I've done support of one produced in June 2012 at Latitude 30 from the first month they got it.
It has been quite reliable considering heavy play on it.

8/27: I unboxed it with the help of a friend.
First game set 2 players, I hit the right flipper once and it stuck.
So I can't even play one ball without problems? Answer: No.
Fortunately I'm a tech of sorts being that I'm a collector operator.
I knew what to loosen and tighten to adjust the flipper.
That screw was kind of worn our already.
This game must not have been play tested.
After adjusting I play some and it loses balls, ends the games early
and sometimes shoots out two balls into the ball launch.
I am not pleased so far.
I emailed Stern tech support this morning
and will call them after work today.

update:
Left voicemail with Stern, Chas called me back,
I had correctly diagnosed the ball trough opto boards.
They will be shipping them 2 day so they should be here by Friday.
I've got a tournament at the location it's going on Saturday so it's tight timing.

#2 10 years ago

Sucky. Our first world problems...

#3 10 years ago

Average when you buy something NIB, surely they test all games........

#4 10 years ago

New in box machine with 4 issues? That is very scary for me, as I am contemplating purchase of the same pin.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Hoopjohn:

New in box machine with 4 issues? That is very scary for me, as I am contemplating purchase of the same pin.

My AC/DC pro had 4 problems when I first got it. Stern tech support was very quick to send the replacement parts and I have had zero problems for months now. Fix the minor bugs then play away.

#6 10 years ago

I went to buy a NIB ACDC pre ,I opened the box there before I buy it ,I have had theses problems before ,so I opened it there and the first thing I seen was the lock down bar had very bad paint faw on it ,so we pulled it right out of the box to look more and I found a lot more faws right on the playfield ,after that we put it back intoo the box and I didn't buy it .so instead I found a HUO ACDC Bible ,so this way I could see it and play it at the same time and I am loving it great game

#7 10 years ago

It seems this is the price you pay for the NIB experience. When I purchased my fist NIB (ac/dc prem), the distributor at first assumed that I wanted him to unbox and setup the machine. He said that's what most folks preferred, because he would make sure everything was working 100% before delivering it.

I was OK accepting the risk of any issues for the pleasure of experiencing my first 'un-boxing' of a brand new pin. And yes, I did have a couple minor issues I had to fix - but nothing too serious. For me, it was a good decision - I really enjoyed getting a true 'NIB' experience.

#8 10 years ago

Sometimes it works out. My only NIB so far was Tron, and it has worked almost perfectly. The only issues have been normal things you would expect (loose post, burned LED, smashed LED by airball). Just things that come from any machine that gets played and all of them were after hundreds of games.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Hoopjohn:

I bought my ACDC pro NIB awhile back. No problems out of the box, no problems of any kind since except the jukebox switch needed adjusted at about the 400 game point.

#10 10 years ago

update:
I've got a tournament at the location it's going on Saturday so it's tight timing.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

update:

That's good that they're sending you new boards, but the ones you have are probably fine. Push in the connectors so that even the base slides down the prongs a bit...everything will be nice and tight - try again and they'll probably work perfect. I've seen this happen on a lot of new Stern games, and pushing those connectors in always solves it.

#12 10 years ago

1,300 people died in Syria yesterday.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

1,300 people died in Syria yesterday.

Vid, Is this on topic?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Vid, Is this on topic?

Dead on.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Hoopjohn:

2 issues. Flipper bat tightened without enough play and loose opto board connectors. And not scary at all. He likely should've been able to correct both of those problems himself, without calling Stern. While I very much appreciate him operating games, I think he needs some more seasoning as a tech.

I own and operate an AC/DC pro. The only issue the game had out of the box was one LED out on the display. Stern sent me an advance replacement display, so the game never stopped earnings. It has been virtually trouble free since. The only 'fix' I've had to do is to tighten the rivets on two of the (heavily abused) Thunderstruck standup targets. Remove target, squeeze rivet with pliers, reinstall target. That's it.

If you really are considering an AC/DC pro, it's a great choice for a couple of reasons. First, because the cannon is the only major toy, there's very little to break on the game. Mechanically and electronically, the rest of the game is very simple. Lots of standup targets, a saucer, a diverter and a spinner. Secondly, AC/DC pro is easily the best pro game Stern has ever made. Despite being so simple on the playfield, the rules are ridiculously deep. Way, way deeper than any other pro, LE or premium. Don't let this thread discourage you. It's an awesome, mostly trouble free game.

Quoted from DaveH:

Vid, Is this on topic?

I think he's suggesting that the issues the poster had are very minor and not worthy of a post here. If so, I agree.

#16 10 years ago

I think most of us are educated and keep up with current events. I enjoy pinside because it's a break from the news. Thanks for the update, though.

On topic: AC/DC Pro was my second NIB, and it's been the most trouble-free pin I've had minus some minor stuff. Chas is great and I'm sure he'll take care of you.

#17 10 years ago

what minor stuff did you have as I'm picking a nib ACDC up in 2 weeks, might help me when I turn it on to look for it

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

I bought my ACDC pro NIB awhile back. No problems out of the box, no problems of any kind since except the jukebox switch needed adjusted at about the 400 game point.

ZERO problems with mine. Had it for about a year and a half now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pro-tales-of-my-first-new-in-box-pinball-machine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.