Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Angus horn-385.jpg
270609.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I'm likely to step on some toes here, but I went out of my way to track down and play an AC/DC pro at a local arcade this evening. I just don't get it. EDIT: I was shocked by how good condition it was in, clean as a whistle and seemed almost new out of the box.

I'm going to ignore the theme, because I can't say anything good about it as I'm not a fan of the band. And don't get me started on that hideous giant mug on the playfield!

I played quite a few games, and I just couldn't understand why people gush over this pin as much as they do. The playfield seemed decent, if not a little on the simple side.

What got me was that the ball went SDTM right off the launch, over 5 times! Twice I plunged the ball, saw it drain straight down the middle, have it saved - only to SDTM drain it again. I lost 2 balls without even getting to hit them with my flippers...

On the other hand, I was shocked by how well it played. It was super smooth and the ball glided around beautifully. And the DMD animations were pretty slick, I must say. Some of the best I've seen. The build quality on these new sterns look pretty decent. As mainly 90's DMD fan, that new car smell is impressive.

I would expect it to be ranked in the 150 range. It's not bad by any stretch, it was just so painfully mediocre! ... like taking a pretty cousin to the prom - sure you've got a hot date, but there's not much you can do with her!

Seriously though, what am I missing? And is the other edition that much better?

#3 9 years ago

I think for this pin, you do have to enjoy the music. And yes, that face is hurtin.
Lastly, the pin has to be setup near perfectly or that SDTM drain can be too frustrating.
All that aside, once you understand the rules, it's amazeballs.
No pin gets my heart racing the way ACDC does.

#4 9 years ago

i think you should try one from a collector, mine is perfectly tunes in.
i went to a local theater the other day, saw one and i didn't want to play it, it was in pretty bad shape and dirty as hell.

different games for different taste.

#5 9 years ago

One of my all time favorite pins.......I actually (yes really) like it better than the premium version and I am not the only one......although I will admit that is a minority position. I know someone who bought both.....kept them both for a long time and then sold the premium and kept the pro.

Quoted from robbiedoo:

What got me was that the ball went SDTM right off the launch, over 5 times! Twice I plunged the ball, saw it drain straight down the middle, have it saved - only to SDTM drain it again. I lost 2 balls without even getting to hit them with my flippers...

Mine does not do that......very, very rarely and normally when it does happen the "ball saver" feature keeps the ball in play. I'm guessing that the machine you played was not level.

What to like? Well for one I think it does help tremendously if you do like the theme!!! It's a game based on a rock band and plays 12 of their songs non-stop! You better like their music.

Speed. Classic Ritchie speed. I "tink" the glass more on this pin than any other I've ever played.

Flow. Ramp to ramp, outer lane over and over and right back to ramps again......speed and flow and a great light show!

Rules. It's a pretty deep pin. I haven't even approached Encore yet!

Do an LED conversion and throw in a big subwoofer and new backbox speakers and you have a spectacular pin.

I'm sure there is more.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

you do have to enjoy the music

Quoted from Astropin:

You better like their music

Yes, I know... but I don't! My genre is classic rock, but AC/DC just doesn't do it for me. It's a shame becase 2 of my most disliked bands are AC/DC and Metallica... why do such highly rated pins need to have themes I hate!

No need to argue about music taste though, I don't want this thread to turn into that, to each their own!

The arcade I was in had it turned down so low that I actually couldn't hear the music. If I leaned in close during a plunger time or held ball I could make it out, but it definitely needed to be louder.

The only song I can stomach is you shook me all night long, so I admit playing to that and letting myself get into the tunes likely would have improved the experience.

#7 9 years ago

Oh......and here is what the "mug" on mine looks like:

270609.jpg270609.jpg

#8 9 years ago

MUCH better! Is that the Pro too? They have different playfields?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Seriously though, what am I missing? And is the other edition that much better?

You wont understand how great ACDC is after playing it one day. And yes the Premium/LE is much beter then the Pro.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

its a decal covering up the ugly Angus face...

#11 9 years ago

What are you missing? Playing time. How can you even write this review with such little time on the machine?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

It's a Mylar sticker that you can get from one of the members here (Aurich).

Also.....I really don't think it's fair for you to rate a pin after playing it on one occasion. Especially one that was clearly not set up correctly. Draining down the middle is not typical of a properly set up AC/DC. Plus there is no possible way you could even have an inkling of the rules after just a handful of games. I would ask that you pull your rating until you've played a properly set up one and understand what is going on rules wise..........just my humble opinion.

#13 9 years ago

I started playing by committing myself to putting in 5 credits before my first round... I felt that I needed that much to push past the theme.

Then I played another 5 credits... I'm sorry but after 10 games if I don't get a decent grasp of the game then maybe it's not for me. I mean that's 30 balls... well, 28 that I was able to play.

EDIT: I don't like the way that came off... What I meant was after 10 games I'm not impressed, but I'll likely return to it since it seems I need more time with it. 10 games and "I'm out" makes is sound like I'm closed to giving it more time, and it sounds like it deserves more chance to grow on me.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

I started playing by committing myself to putting in 5 credits before my first round... I felt that I needed that much to push past the theme.
Then I played another 5 credits... I'm sorry but after 10 games if I don't get a decent grasp of the game then I guess it's not for me.

Fine........then you shouldn't (officially) rate it on Pinside.

I never rate a game on here until I've put my time in on it.......and after I fully grasp the rules. I've been playing pinball since the 70's but I've only rated 23 pins on Pinside.

#15 9 years ago

I don't want to start an argument, but looking at the review below mine, I see that person also spend $10 on it before their review.

Respectfully, I don't see a notice that tells me how many balls I need to play before I'm allowed to have an opinion on a machine. And "Remember, your rating is never permanent. You can always come back and rate this machine again if your opinion about it changes.", so if it grows on me, I can update my opinion to reflect that.

I've read plenty of reviews on pinside where the reviewer states they played several games of a pin in an arcade, and I feel if my review states what my limited or extended experience with the pin is, then people can take it for what it is.

Essentially the question is this:

Should a pinball rating only be based on those who have owned the game and played a hundred, or a thousand, games on it? Or should it reflect how it's perceived in both a long term relationship AND by a casual first time player?

#16 9 years ago

I get the issues with the art, it is one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a Pro, but the giant face on the playfield disappears from notice after a while. The main reason people like it is because after 50-100 games you begin to appreciate the deep and complex ruleset that makes you keep coming back to it.

#17 9 years ago

I had a Luci...hated it and traded it less than 2 months later...

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Lastly, the pin has to be setup near perfectly or that SDTM drain can be too frustrating.

Sure!

My first encounter with AC/DC was a Pro on location. Old code, music off, SDTM all the time. Unsurprisingly I was not very impressed. Now one of my favorite pins!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

I don't want to start an argument, but looking at the review below mine, I see that person also spend $10 on it before their review.
Respectfully, I don't see a notice that tells me how many balls I need to play before I'm allowed to have an opinion on a machine. And "Remember, your rating is never permanent. You can always come back and rate this machine again if your opinion about it changes.", so if it grows on me, I can update my opinion to reflect that.
I've read plenty of reviews on pinside where the reviewer states they played several games of a pin in an arcade, and I feel if my review states what my limited or extended experience with the pin is, then people can take it for what it is.
Essentially the question is this:
Should a pinball rating only be based on those who have owned the game and played a hundred, or a thousand, games on it? Or should it reflect how it's perceived in both a long term relationship AND by a casual first time player?

Oh I wasn't implying that you are the only offender.......or even breaking any rules. Just throwing out my own personal feelings on the matter. I hold no ill will towards you. I Just wish everyone would only rate pins after they understood the rules to the game and have played it enough times to see how those rules come into play.

It is very true that you can update your reviews anytime.....and I have done so myself after getting even deeper into a particular title......sometimes to it's benefit.......sometimes not.

#20 9 years ago

I played one with the decal and noticed it that it might change the ball's behavior...ie: speed and trajectory. Can you guys chime in on that?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Just throwing out my own personal feelings on the matter.

I agree that you do make a good point, and I plan to go back again so I'll have more time with this pin. I'll remove my review for now, and re-review after some more exposure to this pin. But I'm still not sold...

Makes me think: It might be a nice feature on pinside... the option to see reviews of pins by only those who have owned the machine. It would make for at least a reflection of a better rule-understanding group, if people wanted to see that.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

I agree that you do make a good point, and I plan to go back again so I'll have more time with this pin. I'll remove my review for now, and re-review after some more exposure to this pin. But I'm still not sold...
Makes me think: It might be a nice feature on pinside... the option to see reviews of pins by only those who have owned the machine. It would make for at least a reflection of a better rule-understanding group, if people wanted to see that.

Yeah unfortunately there is no good way for Pinside to handle it. Look how many people visit nearby Pinsider's homes and play their pins all the time. I do that myself. So lot's of people play games over and over that they never own. Plus, even if Pinside did put in that rule there is nothing stopping people from simply saying they own (or owned) the game and then rating it......even if they never did. It's all on the honor system. I guess in the end it sort of works itself out..........sort of.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I played one with the decal and noticed it that it might change the ball's behavior...ie: speed and trajectory. Can you guys chime in on that?

I can't say that I've noticed that on mine.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Oh......and here is what the "mug" on mine looks like:

270609.jpg 234 KB

Is there anyway to take it up and cover angus up any better?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Kevgascan:

Is there anyway to take it up and cover angus up any better?

Sorry......what? It covers the Angus Face perfectly.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Then I played another 5 credits... I'm sorry but after 10 games if I don't get a decent grasp of the game then maybe it's not for me. I mean that's 30 balls... well, 28 that I was able to play.
EDIT: I don't like the way that came off... What I meant was after 10 games I'm not impressed, but I'll likely return to it since it seems I need more time with it. 10 games and "I'm out" makes is sound like I'm closed to giving it more time, and it sounds like it deserves more chance to grow on me.

Ok, here's the deal. AC/DC is weird. A "normal" game you can go up to and start gleaning the rules on your own. add to that fact that Stern sometimes spoon feeds the rules to you. AC/DC just doesn't do that. There are so many different strategies and options, and they are not wrapped up in typical modes. The game is all about risk vs reward making huge scores. Unless you are playing the game with someone who can explain it to you, after 10 games you're still just batting the ball around. It just isn't like other games. I'm not saying that everyone has to like it, and I'm not invalidating your opinion. I'm just saying that I just batted the ball around in that game before I had someone actually explain it to me and walk me through it a bit. It really is a fun game. Though I hugely prefer the Premium.

#27 9 years ago

I played a pro at expo when it came out, shots felt good, I was thinking its okay... played the premium and it looks killer, again I was like meh for $6k, then I really put some games on one, and wow, it is really a neat way to intigrate scoring, and strategy, you have to keep track of a few things while playing, first one I found within an 8 hr drive of my house and I grabbed it at a decent price.. wow, what a game.. you may feel different after a while, I know I did....

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Plus, even if Pinside did put in that rule ...

I was actually thinking of just an option to view reviews or overall scores by actual owners, but still letting anyone review as they do now. That way you could see how owners feel vs. the general rating.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Sorry......what? It covers the Angus Face perfectly.

I looks like the Angus horn is showing on the left side.

#30 9 years ago

Angus horn-385.jpgAngus horn-385.jpg
#31 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

the option to see reviews of pins by only those who have owned the machine.

And you will still get a bias. Owners will either:
- rate it high because they truly love it
- rate it high because they want to sell it

My advice: Read Caucasian2step reviews and forget the rest.

#32 9 years ago

Robbie,

I had a chance to play one at Monster mini golf in Edmonton while taking the kids there. Game was in pretty good shape and it was the pro. Not as good as the Premium, but still very respectable.

If your do not like ACDC this machine is not for you. The rules are to deep for me and I prefer Metallica to ACDC.

If your don't like the band, you probably will not like the pinball. I had many bush parties in the 80's and loved ACDC blaring on the best car stereo while partying hard. The band brings me a ton of memories and after seeing them live in Edmonton at Commonwealth the concert was a blast!!!

Some pins are for certain players and some are not. If you did not enjoy playing it, you probably will never like it. It is one of Sterns top pins in my ratings. The only thing I hate is the big face on the playfield which you can cover.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

I'm likely to step on some toes here, but I went out of my way to track down and play an AC/DC pro at a local arcade this evening. I just don't get it.

I used to be in your camp. There was a pro on location where our league plays, and I always DREADED having to play AC/DC. After watching Bowen's tutorial, I realized that I didn't understand the game (and the one knock against it is that the rules are so dense that you almost have to read a rule sheet to understand it).

I played a few games on a premium, and I started to understand. When Luci came out, I hemmed and hawed, and decided to get one, figuring I could easily sell it if I didn't like it.

And then I played it. And played it. And played it. Slowly, I started to get a grasp on the delicate risk/reward. I started learning how to keep the ball out of danger. And when I did everything right and got that 245 million jackpot, I was hooked.

Now, I play AC/DC more than any other pin in my collection. It's hands-down my favorite pin, and one that will never leave my collection.

So yes, I understand where you're coming from. I was there. But now that I understand it, there's nothing else I'd rather play more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 12.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pro-really and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.