Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo_copy_4.JPG
photo.JPG
photo_copy.JPG
photo_copy_3.JPG
20120417_100158.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys,

For my first NIB purchase, I'm thinking either Tron or AC/DC. I'm looking for a long-term players pin that my kids can enjoy as well. We love Tron but I'm afraid the theme might get old after a few years. AC/DC will never get old...

Advice on either one of these pins as a long-term gameroom staple for a family with kids? Price is also a consideration, as Tron is $500 or so over the AC/DC...

#25 11 years ago

Wow. Great replies, but I'm just as conflicted as before. Sounds like an even split, maybe just a few more for Tron. The price and availability may swing me towards AC/DC, but Tron is just cool.

#31 11 years ago

Thanks to all for informative and insightful replies... I've decided on a Tron Pro. Kids will love it, wife won't give me the look every time she hears 'Hells Bells,' and Tron is just cool. I've seen a few other threads on recommended dealers for Stern NIB, but is $5500 average for Tron? Any recommend dealers in the NoVA area?? Thanks again!

3 weeks later
#47 11 years ago

Definitely going with Tron Pro. Looking to purchase hopefully by mid July. Haven't seen any used on the market, so I've been watching GAP, eBay, and the Marketplace here. And yes, buying in VA is a bad idea but all of the places I mentioned are out of state.

Fingers crossed that they are still available, but I think I'll be okay. Can't wait!

#49 11 years ago

I would love to grab both, but I've scraped up enough cash to buy one and still not sleep on the couch. Tron is definitely more expensive, but by reading everyone's opinions as well as the plethora of mods, we're going to the grid.

Thanks for the link to flipper fidelity, though. Nice backbox LED mods for Stern machines.

Now, if you've got your Tron under a dust cover, I'd be happy to take care of your problem...

3 weeks later
#51 11 years ago

I went with a Tron for my first NIB. Ultimately, it came down to the theme and the mods. I wanted the reliability of a NIB with an active mod community because I still like to tinker around with lights, speakers, etc. The AC/DC would have been waaay cheaper, but this is my forever pin so I'm happy with my decision. I've already installed LEDs, the arcade mod, plastic protectors, and the Flynn sign. I'll space out everything else in the next few months.

Thanks for all the input and I'm happy to be part of the Tron club.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

If you go with the FF kit just go with the sub. Me and a few others found that the back box speakers do very little. I dont think there is enuff power to run the FF speakers to there potential. The magnet's on them are 10x bigger and look sooooo much better (from the back) but the power from the game cant push them. I wish FF sold a small little tiny amp with the kit to push them bc i would buy that right up in a heart beat!! hint hint

I've heard the same thing from a few other folks and that's the direction I'll go. I opted not to get an external sub because I think the FF sub will be loud enough for my taste.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Go for the Tron and get to modding! The Tron pro is the most modded machine in all of pinball (except for maybe TZ). Just modding it out is awesome!

Totally agree. Whether you're a fan of modding or not, the additional accessories give the machine 'legs.' It gives the game some fresh gloss that does not affect gameplay. To me, it keeps me coming back and gives me something to look forward to.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I could understand if you wanted to build custom mods, but I personally don't understand the fun in buying someone else's "mod" then screwing it into place. Certainly not enough to factor it into the purchasing decision.

Completely disagree. It's only fun if I build my own mods? It can't be fun if I install a working Tron mini-arcade? Or EL wire? Or LEDs? Flynn sign?

Maybe you're right. I'll quit my job and build my own subwoofer in the basement. That would be cost-effective and fun.

7 months later
#79 11 years ago

Bumping this thread with an update.

I was originally going back and forth between Tron Pro and ACDC Pro. I ultimately decided to go with Tron, and I'm very happy with my decision. Fast forward 9 months, and I was ready to purchase another NIB... ACDC Pro!

In that span of time, some great mods have been created for ACDC Pro (thanks Hemi!), so I pulled the trigger along with full LEDs, the train, Cliffys, topper, Laseriffic add-ons, Hemi's flasher/bell mod, FF sub, and some other stuff.

Premium trim, backbox LEDs, and other stuff are next.

photo_copy_3.JPGphoto_copy_3.JPG photo_copy.JPGphoto_copy.JPG photo.JPGphoto.JPG photo_copy_4.JPGphoto_copy_4.JPG

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Curious to see which you prefer after you've owned them both for awhile. I'm betting it's AC/DC...my guess would be that 90%+ of those that chimed in on this thread didn't have enough time in on one to realize just how great of a game it is.

I'm space limited, and it took me about a year to financially get these games. I love Tron, and so far I LOVE ACDC, but time will tell. I'll eventually do the yearly thread update.

Long term goal are these two 'fast' games plus a 'deeper' game like RBION.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pro-or-tron-pro?tu=mudflaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.