Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jackontherocks
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

photo_copy_4.JPG
photo.JPG
photo_copy.JPG
photo_copy_3.JPG
20120417_100158.jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

I went with a Tron for my first NIB. Ultimately, it came down to the theme and the mods. I wanted the reliability of a NIB with an active mod community because I still like to tinker around with lights, speakers, etc. The AC/DC would have been waaay cheaper, but this is my forever pin so I'm happy with my decision. I've already installed LEDs, the arcade mod, plastic protectors, and the Flynn sign. I'll space out everything else in the next few months.

Thanks for all the input and I'm happy to be part of the Tron club.

#52 7 years ago

If you go with the FF kit just go with the sub. Me and a few others found that the back box speakers do very little. I dont think there is enuff power to run the FF speakers to there potential. The magnet's on them are 10x bigger and look sooooo much better (from the back) but the power from the game cant push them. I wish FF sold a small little tiny amp with the kit to push them bc i would buy that right up in a heart beat!! hint hint

#53 7 years ago

Pro to Pro, I'd go Tron as well. AC/DC Pro is crippled a lot harder than Tron Pro.

#54 7 years ago

Tron for me.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

If you go with the FF kit just go with the sub. Me and a few others found that the back box speakers do very little. I dont think there is enuff power to run the FF speakers to there potential. The magnet's on them are 10x bigger and look sooooo much better (from the back) but the power from the game cant push them. I wish FF sold a small little tiny amp with the kit to push them bc i would buy that right up in a heart beat!! hint hint

I've heard the same thing from a few other folks and that's the direction I'll go. I opted not to get an external sub because I think the FF sub will be loud enough for my taste.

#56 7 years ago

Personally Tron never did it for me...but most seem to love it I think you get a little more in then tron pro than the AC/dc pro plus lots of mods. If we are comparing premiums Inwoukd say acdc hands down .

#57 7 years ago

Absolutely.

Quoted from mandelbloom:

If we are comparing premiums Inwoukd say acdc hands down .

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from 6S3NC3:

I was debating on trying these two items with some FF speakers...

amazon.com link »
amazon.com link »

#60 7 years ago

moot point but,I HAD tron right next to my AC/DC,and I could not stop rockin'

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from grh450:

moot point but,I HAD tron right next to my AC/DC,and I could not stop rockin'

Here's some hidden camera footage from an AC/DC pinball party. Rockin!!

[url]

[/url]

#62 7 years ago

Go for the Tron and get to modding! The Tron pro is the most modded machine in all of pinball (except for maybe TZ). Just modding it out is awesome!

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Go for the Tron and get to modding! The Tron pro is the most modded machine in all of pinball (except for maybe TZ). Just modding it out is awesome!

Totally agree. Whether you're a fan of modding or not, the additional accessories give the machine 'legs.' It gives the game some fresh gloss that does not affect gameplay. To me, it keeps me coming back and gives me something to look forward to.

#64 7 years ago

I could understand if you wanted to build custom mods, but I personally don't understand the fun in buying someone else's "mod" then screwing it into place. Certainly not enough to factor it into the purchasing decision.

#65 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I could understand if you wanted to build custom mods, but I personally don't understand the fun in buying someone else's "mod" then screwing it into place. Certainly not enough to factor it into the purchasing decision.

Completely disagree. It's only fun if I build my own mods? It can't be fun if I install a working Tron mini-arcade? Or EL wire? Or LEDs? Flynn sign?

Maybe you're right. I'll quit my job and build my own subwoofer in the basement. That would be cost-effective and fun.

#66 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

With my tron I just get a kick out of picking out the mods...there are so many to choose from. I still need the Flynn sign.

#67 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

but I personally don't understand the fun in buying someone else's "mod" then screwing it into place. Certainly not enough to factor it into the purchasing decision.

At this point you can mod a pro to have a LE style feel.
The new fiber optic ramps really adds so much to the pro.
So yes I have had fun moding my Pro.

I just had a person PM to see if I had any Tron Mini Arcade 2.1 left.
He was deciding between a Tron pro and an X men but if he could not get my mod Tron was out.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I suppose there is a level of pride in building your own stuff, "real xxxx are built not bought" and all that. But seeing as none of us built our pinball tables in the first place, I don't think anyone can knock the desire to buy and install our mods

#69 7 years ago

I'm not knocking it, I just don't understand it. I've installed a mod here and there, the bi-plane mod on IJ, along with the lost plastic. It didn't give me any greater sense of ownership or anything.

Quoted from Don1:

I don't think anyone can knock the desire to buy and install our mods

#70 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

With my tron I just get a kick out of picking out the mods...there are so many to choose from. I still need the Flynn sign.

Yep, tons of mods for Tron.

Personally decided to stay away from the Flynn sign. It just seems too big to me.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlooking:

At this point you can mod a pro to have a LE style feel.
The new fiber optic ramps really adds so much to the pro.
So yes I have had fun moding my Pro.
I just had a person PM to see if I had any Tron Mini Arcade 2.1 left.
He was deciding between a Tron pro and an X men but if he could not get my mod Tron was out.

What? Somebody would choose a game based upon a cosmetic mod, lol? Now I've heard it all.

"How did you chose between X-Men and Tron? Ruleset, Theme, cost?"

"Nope, tron had an available mini arcade that I had to have"

#72 7 years ago

As far as the Tron vs AC/DC thing, when I played them on route (AC/DC pro with initial code) I thought Tron was more fun but AC/DC was harder. I actually liked IM more than either of them. I played an AC/DC premium a few days ago with updated code and I thought it was better than Tron by the slightest of margins now. Tron is definitely more smooth though, love those ramps on Tron. Either one would make a fine addition to your gameroom.

#73 7 years ago

I really look forward to installing mods. Designing and building them is way beyond my capabilities although I wish I could. Installing mods with very specific instructions is enough of a challenge for me. I like the Flynn sign. I think it's the most noticeable mod and not "too much". The arcade mod is the coolest however.

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

What? Somebody would choose a game based upon a cosmetic mod, lol? Now I've heard it all.

I don’t think it is that crazy. Some people buy Tron LE base on the fiber optic ramps. This is just a mod.

#75 7 years ago

Get the Tron Pro. While ACDC is good, Tron is a killer game. Also only having the Tron Pro over the LE means nothing in the fun factor. Except for the Daft Punk Multiball, rules are the same. I own an LE and played a Pro on vacation. Had just as much fun with it as my own. So what if the ramps don't light up, the rules and playfield layout are great. There seems to be more of a gameplay difference in the ACDC bewteen Pro and the SE/LE

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

. It was like 10 gigawatt shaker motor combined with a 100 gigawatt sound system. Priceless. Living next to railroad tracks would be an awesome cheap mod for this game

cool where was that Tron located?

2 months later
#77 6 years ago

If you had to choose between the tron pro re-release or an ac/dc premium- where would you spend your money today?

#78 6 years ago

Neither, I would get a HUO Tron Pro with the original 3d backglass and cycles. I like the new backglass art, but the 3D is way cooler.

Quoted from denmark71:

If you had to choose between the tron pro re-release or an ac/dc premium- where would you spend your money today?

5 months later
#79 6 years ago

Bumping this thread with an update.

I was originally going back and forth between Tron Pro and ACDC Pro. I ultimately decided to go with Tron, and I'm very happy with my decision. Fast forward 9 months, and I was ready to purchase another NIB... ACDC Pro!

In that span of time, some great mods have been created for ACDC Pro (thanks Hemi!), so I pulled the trigger along with full LEDs, the train, Cliffys, topper, Laseriffic add-ons, Hemi's flasher/bell mod, FF sub, and some other stuff.

Premium trim, backbox LEDs, and other stuff are next.

photo_copy_3.JPG photo_copy.JPG photo.JPG photo_copy_4.JPG

#80 6 years ago

Awesome!

I often think if I could only have two then those would be it.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Bumping this thread with an update.
I was originally going back and forth between Tron Pro and ACDC Pro. I ultimately decided to go with Tron, and I'm very happy with my decision. Fast forward 6 months, and I was ready to purchase another NIB... ACDC Pro!
In that span of time, some great mods have been created for ACDC Pro (thanks Hemi!), so I pulled the trigger along with full LEDs, the train, Cliffys, topper, Laseriffic add-ons, Hemi's flasher/bell mod, FF sub, and some other stuff.
Premium trim, backbox LEDs, and other stuff are next.

Those two games look great side by side. Like yourself I debated over both of these pins for a month and after listening to many others as well and trying both games I purchases the Tron game as well. Now 2 months later I'm considering an ACDC Pro as well. Though I really like Avengers and Transformers as well so I'm still trying to decide on what to do. I have to say all of these new Stern games have been great but make purchasing decisions difficult when where helping out $4-$5K each time. Enjoy your new game!

#82 6 years ago

I like your tron poster.

#83 6 years ago

Nice!! I'm awaiting delivery of my AC/DC and seeing the Tron next to it inspires me to hatch a plan to sell my wife on the need for both!

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Get both. Or buy Tron then sell it. And buy ACDC. At 5500 your so close to ACDC Premium. Plus you will need to add mods and sub to Tron. Tough call. Wait for new ACDC update then see!
I get looks from my wife about Quorra and Gem on the side of Tron.

Haha and I showed mine the new girls only backglass and out of the 4 versions she liked it best also.

Lucky me =)

Get both games OP just pick which one you want first

#85 6 years ago

Waiting still on my new Tron to arrive, but I have to say ACDC is really fun, I really enjoyed it as did my kids, if I had to get a second new pin, I would make your choice as well, different gameplay but both kickass

#86 6 years ago

I traded a Tron Pro for an ACDC Pro. I'm very happy with the way that worked out.

#87 6 years ago

Curious to see which you prefer after you've owned them both for awhile. I'm betting it's AC/DC...my guess would be that 90%+ of those that chimed in on this thread didn't have enough time in on one to realize just how great of a game it is.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Curious to see which you prefer after you've owned them both for awhile. I'm betting it's AC/DC...my guess would be that 90%+ of those that chimed in on this thread didn't have enough time in on one to realize just how great of a game it is.

I'm space limited, and it took me about a year to financially get these games. I love Tron, and so far I LOVE ACDC, but time will tell. I'll eventually do the yearly thread update.

Long term goal are these two 'fast' games plus a 'deeper' game like RBION.

#89 6 years ago

I hear from here there is not much difference from Pro to Le on Tron like there is between the AC/DC pro to Le if that says anything. Heck even the pin ratings have both Trons together unlike the AC/DC which are much farther apart. Played AC/DC and wanted more in the game. Still have not been able to play Tron yet or even locate any of the past new Sterns over the years anywhere in AZ.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Cibolo, TX
$ 95.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside