Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

photo_copy_4.JPG
photo.JPG
photo_copy.JPG
photo_copy_3.JPG
20120417_100158.jpg

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Hey guys,

For my first NIB purchase, I'm thinking either Tron or AC/DC. I'm looking for a long-term players pin that my kids can enjoy as well. We love Tron but I'm afraid the theme might get old after a few years. AC/DC will never get old...

Advice on either one of these pins as a long-term gameroom staple for a family with kids? Price is also a consideration, as Tron is $500 or so over the AC/DC...

#2 11 years ago

go for tron for the kids.... or save some money and get WCS94

#3 11 years ago

Trons are becoming scarce and expensive FAST. I would say they rate about the same in game play. More mods for Tron.
For the price of a NIB tron pro now, I would say jump to the AC/DC premium and have a blast.

#4 11 years ago

Unless you're an ACDC fan, TRON no question. ACDC is a good, but TRON is just... well, notice there are not too many "John Borg designs all suck" posts since it came out?

#5 11 years ago

They really are both excellent choices.

#6 11 years ago

Tron is a great family pin, nice to look at, good ruleset, etc. AC/DC is a little overrated. Bottom line, if you're willing to pay that much for a NIB, then you can't go wrong with either.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Fearless_Leader:

f you're willing to pay that much for a NIB, then you can't go wrong with either.

Agreed.

#8 11 years ago

I had the same decision recently - I went with the TRON pro. I like the TRON pro over the AC/DC pro. I can not compare to the AC/DC premium but that is a jump in price. I think they are both good games. I think for kids I with stick with TRON. It has some great Mods too.

#9 11 years ago

Tron is almost worth owning just because of that Arcade Mod alone. It is the coolest.

#10 11 years ago

You cannot go wrong here. I would lean towards AC/DC myself.

#11 11 years ago

I've played both equally (10-20 games each) and I'd lean toward ACDC as well. It really isn't enough to determine longevity, but Tron has never grabbed me, and it just looks bland w/o the EL ramps.

#12 11 years ago

What makes AC DC bad for kids? Just curious.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

What makes AC DC bad for kids? Just curious.

I don't think Tron has 3 insult levels. I swear I heard Steve Ritchie say he kicked my ass today when I missed a shot, which was weird as I was playing the game in an extremely family friendly location. The cool part was that an actual train went by the wall right behind the game as I was playing. As it went by, it blasted it's train horn. It was like 10 gigawatt shaker motor combined with a 100 gigawatt sound system. Priceless. Living next to railroad tracks would be an awesome cheap mod for this game.

I like both games, but don't have enough time on AC/DC to recommend one over the other. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with either. If your kids are young, you can set the insult level on AC/DC to family and you'll be good to go.

#14 11 years ago

Tron is going to run you about 1k more now then a AC/DC Most of us Distros are sold out (Including me)

#15 11 years ago

Tron Pro! Best game ever made!

#16 11 years ago

Tron pro is the best game ever made? It's even better than Tron LE?

Quoted from HoneyBadger:

#17 11 years ago

If you get Tron pro the first thing you must buy are the traditional lock down bar setup and under playfield rails. IT stinks the pro does not come with them. I think the rails are a must imo.

#18 11 years ago

tron

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

If you get Tron pro the first thing you must buy are the traditional lock down bar setup and under playfield rails. IT stinks the pro does not come with them. I think the rails are a must imo.

Agree on the slide rails. Really missed them when installing some mods. PITA!

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

kwiKimart said:What makes AC DC bad for kids? Just curious.
I don't think Tron has 3 insult levels. I swear I heard Steve Ritchie say he kicked my ass today when I missed a shot, which was weird as I was playing the game in an extremely family friendly location. The cool part was that an actual train went by the wall right behind the game as I was playing. As it went by, it blasted it's train horn. It was like 10 gigawatt shaker motor combined with a 100 gigawatt sound system. Priceless. Living next to railroad tracks would be an awesome cheap mod for this game.
I like both games, but don't have enough time on AC/DC to recommend one over the other. As others have said, you really can't go wrong with either. If your kids are young, you can set the insult level on AC/DC to family and you'll be good to go.

Tron, like ACDC has 3 insult levels you can select in the settings.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from RJW:

Tron, like ACDC has 3 insult levels you can select in the settings.

Interesting. Now that you mention it, I do enjoy the dammit! tilt warnings. What's the worst language folks have heard in either? I would think AC/DC would be a 'dirtier' game.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

nteresting. Now that you mention it, I do enjoy the dammit! tilt warnings. What's the worst language folks have heard in either? I would think AC/DC would be a 'dirtier' game.

You suck is the worst in ac/dc i wish there was worse but sadly no.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

You suck is the worst in ac/dc i wish there was worse but sadly no.

So I didn't hear Steve say he kicked my ass yesterday. It was a crowded area.

This seems odd though as Steve was stoked early about the three insult levels. I wonder if the band nixed worse language? AC/DC should be a bar pin. It should have swearing. WTF? [gratuitous acronym directed at Stern, not any members here]

#24 11 years ago

Honestly I would pick ACDC Pro. The kids love the music theme and the cannon. Tron is awesome but the deeper rules are harder for kids to relate too. I have FF and shaler in my tron pro also. Its more for me.

ACDC is ageless and highly addictive. Have you seen my 3 year old head banging and dancing on youtube?

#25 11 years ago

Wow. Great replies, but I'm just as conflicted as before. Sounds like an even split, maybe just a few more for Tron. The price and availability may swing me towards AC/DC, but Tron is just cool.

#26 11 years ago

I'd go with the tron pro!

#27 11 years ago

Get the game you want most, the kids will love having a pinball machine either way. My kids don't relate to AC/DC, and while the music is lively, AC/DC is somewhat of an adult theme.. an old band like that just doesn't seem to be the best choice for kids.

Tron is made by disney and the gameplay is fun.. light cycles, a spinning disc, and arcade machine, and a third flipper make it a lot of fun. The kids will get to know what to shoot for and will have a lot of fun. And I think Daft Punk is much better music than AC/DC when talking about kids.

While I'm not a shrewd, I don't know if I'd care to have my kids running around singing "a whole lot of Rosie" or "Hells bells". Again, fine for me personally, not so much what I want for my kids. You may not care. But I do think Tron is a better pinball game anyways, and that's what really should help you make your decision.

Good luck!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Tron pro is the best game ever made? It's even better than TRON LE?
Williams_Fan said:

Yes, I prefer the Pro for a few reasons...

1. Stand up targets instead of drop targets (the drop targets break waay easier and you cannot bank a Gem shot off drop targets like you can on the stand-ups).

2. The Pro does not give out extra balls for multiple ramp shots, the LE does (great for a player like myself who plays tournaments sometimes and doesn't like extra balls)

3. No annoying "Pop Bumbers" quotes

Sure the LE has one extra mode but it is very hard to obtain and is really insignificant. If I want my Pro to look like an LE all I have to do is spend a few hundred dollars on mods, not a few extra grand!

All this being said Tron Pro = Best game EVER!

#29 11 years ago

I am leaning toward AC/DC too. So much fun with great music!

#30 11 years ago

Tron Pro. Your kids will love it and so will you. Also, your kids can invite their friends to play without worry about upsetting their parents.

#31 11 years ago

Thanks to all for informative and insightful replies... I've decided on a Tron Pro. Kids will love it, wife won't give me the look every time she hears 'Hells Bells,' and Tron is just cool. I've seen a few other threads on recommended dealers for Stern NIB, but is $5500 average for Tron? Any recommend dealers in the NoVA area?? Thanks again!

#32 11 years ago

I think you will like Tron.
My boys and I play it every day together. We have been having so much fun with it.

#33 11 years ago

Get both. Or buy Tron then sell it. And buy ACDC. At 5500 your so close to ACDC Premium. Plus you will need to add mods and sub to Tron. Tough call. Wait for new ACDC update then see!

I get looks from my wife about Quorra and Gem on the side of Tron.

20120417_100158.jpg20120417_100158.jpg

#34 11 years ago

yeah...just get BOTH!

#35 11 years ago

I'm not sure who has any Tron Pro's left.. I sold my last one TO grh450 last week. I think pinballs.com aka automated services has a couple left.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I'm not sure who has any Tron Pro's left.. I sold my last one TO grh450 last week. I think pinballs.com aka automated services has a couple left.

got it this afternoon...thanks again JJ!

#37 11 years ago

Good choice on Tron. ACDC isn't that interesting. Tron will keep you hooked.

#38 11 years ago

Excellent choice! Hopefully you will locate a NIB quickly.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good choice on Tron. ACDC isn't that interesting. Tron will keep you hooked.

Agreed!
ACDC is a good pinball (well the Premium anyway) but TRON is a full-blown experience! Crank it up and you'll never miss ACDC.

#41 11 years ago

We have both TRON & AC/DC - I know I'll catch some heat for this statement BUT I would have to say AC/DC is a faster, funner & already deeper game than TRON.
With that said everything may change again when Lyman gets done with AC/DC Code as he'll be back on TRON Code so anything is possible.
Both Pins are awesome - you won't go wrong no matter which 1 you pick.
Play both & pick what you like best.

Pin_-_Kim
www.KimballsPinballs.com

#42 11 years ago

Hey Kim,
Is your ACDC a pro?

I agree on the depth though. I don't find Tron all that deep. Just pure speed, light and sound. I wish the modes were a little more fun or well integrated, but they're pretty good. Getting to SoS is always a bit of a mystery and it just "shows up" out of the blue. I don't find the goals and callouts especially easy to follow yet. I don't ever feel like I've accomplished anything, but then a light will just go solid and I've apparently completed a mode.

I like ACDC, but would much prefer the premium or LE as it make such a huge difference on that title. The pro is just okay IMO.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Getting to SoS is always a bit of a mystery and it just "shows up" out of the blue. I don't find the goals and callouts especially easy to follow yet. I don't ever feel like I've accomplished anything, but then a light will just go solid and I've apparently completed a mode.

I keep having to refer to http://www.pinballnews.com/games/tron/index6b.html on how to complete the modes. You would think it would be easier to figure out!

Both games are great.

#44 11 years ago

Yeah Tron rules are pretty easy to understand. SOS isn't impossible to get to. But getting to portal is another story.

2 weeks later
#45 11 years ago

So what did you decide?

#46 11 years ago

Why do you want a dealer in NOVA? Probably higher price and then taxes.

#47 11 years ago

Definitely going with Tron Pro. Looking to purchase hopefully by mid July. Haven't seen any used on the market, so I've been watching GAP, eBay, and the Marketplace here. And yes, buying in VA is a bad idea but all of the places I mentioned are out of state.

Fingers crossed that they are still available, but I think I'll be okay. Can't wait!

#48 11 years ago

I would grab both. 4100ish for NIB ACDC Pro at Flipper fidelity. Plus he will work with you on speakers and shaker deal.

Both good choices. I had to put a dust cover on Tron Pro since ACDC Premium and MB arrived.

#49 11 years ago

I would love to grab both, but I've scraped up enough cash to buy one and still not sleep on the couch. Tron is definitely more expensive, but by reading everyone's opinions as well as the plethora of mods, we're going to the grid.

Thanks for the link to flipper fidelity, though. Nice backbox LED mods for Stern machines.

Now, if you've got your Tron under a dust cover, I'd be happy to take care of your problem...

#50 11 years ago

I played both PRO versions recently of these 2 and enjoyed TRON much more than AC/DC.. and I consider myself an AC/DC fan.

</my.02$>

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
$ 26.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek
Toys/Add-ons
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
12,028 (OBO)
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
Other
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Long Branch, NJ
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pro-or-tron-pro/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.