(Topic ID: 78077)

ACDC Pro - anyone ever do an playfield face replace overlay?

By tbanthony

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MadPole
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Helen-Decals-Final.jpg
ACDC Pro P Left.JPG
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

So one of the most disliked aspects of the ACDC Pro is the big f**king ugly face in the middle of the playfield. Did anyone ever do an overlay? I would have thought it would be do-able. Or, did everyone just complain about it and then buy the non-Pro versions instead so they didn't have to look at it?

#2 10 years ago

I'm in the "I don't think it is that bad" camp. I play my buddies PRO all the time and never notice it. To your question, I haven't seen anyone mention an overlay for this.

#3 10 years ago

Damn, what a great idea Ive never considered!
It would be a piece of cake to come up with a sick acdc logo to fill that space, get it printed on vinyl and layer it on there. Of course there would be the slightest lip around the edge but it could look much better.

Theres a couple things i like better about the premium, but that face is the biggest turn off for the pro - for me.

#4 10 years ago

Someone could do something with Luci on it for pro owners. Where's Iamdarras??

#5 10 years ago

Ha, just seen this!

I want a Luci Pro!

#6 10 years ago

I hated it when I first saw the release of the game. But have since found out you do not even notice the face while playing.

To go through all the trouble of replacing with Luci sounds strange. Why do so may people think a cartoon face of a made up girl is somehow "hot".

#7 10 years ago

I have always wondered why this hasn't been done yet. I would actually consider a Pro if there was a cool overlay to put on there.

#8 10 years ago

Someone in Detroit had one for sale with a Hell's- Bells overlay that looked good . Also had a translite of the band with a cartoon car - not so good .

#9 10 years ago

If anyone could scan the whole area of the face I would love to make some cool art for that place.

#10 10 years ago

I'm too busy trying to figure the rules to notice.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Stay tuned!

image.jpg 155 KB

Hey, you covered up Elvira!
I thought you might come up with something.

#13 10 years ago

I knew you had something in the works...but couldn't find the thread talking about it.

#14 10 years ago

Someone is already doing it, so I'm out

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I knew you had something in the works...but couldn't find the thread talking about it.

Shot that pic last night, just got the first sample in. I was gonna tease with it somewhere else, but couldn't resist when I saw this thread. I'm working with my printer to find the right material right now before I announce anything, we've got a test that's pretty good, but seeing if we can make it even better.

Test decal is currently living on my Elvira since it has a clear coated playfield.

#16 10 years ago

Laminated vinyl will do the work. It's what all the flipper area overlays are printed on.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from hassanchop:

Laminated vinyl will do the work. It's what all the flipper area overlays are printed on.

Yeah, taking this to PM.

#18 10 years ago

Awesome to hear there is something in the works. Can't wait to see it! If it can have a backing that allows for removal if it starts to wear or for resale that would be ideal.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Awesome to hear there is something in the works. Can't wait to see it! If it can have a backing that allows for removal if it starts to wear or for resale that would be ideal.

I don't really want to promise anything because I don't have the final material, but I hear you loud and clear. The one I'm testing right now that isn't final is sort of like a Fathead, it's sticky enough to stay down, but you can peel it back up to remove it without any residue that I can see (if there is any would come off super easy). If you get an air bubble while putting it down you can pull it back to fix too.

If it works out I'll probably sell as a package with a few so if you did get any wear you could replace it.

#20 10 years ago

I was going to make this but Im too lazy. Ill buy one. Love my ACDC Pro! Fastest Stern ever.

ACDC Pro P Left.JPGACDC Pro P Left.JPG
#21 10 years ago

So I haven't revealed the decal yet, but it's based on this translite design:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-new-original-translite-meet-helen

I should probably just post up some images, I'm just trying to make sure I can print it properly before promising anything to anyone. But since I'm sure people can imagine her inside the devil window shape there's probably no point in really waiting.

#22 10 years ago

Another option (although Helen is sweet Aurich):
Maybe a Gibson SG (his guitar) overlay would work to complement the images of the band members.
The guitar body would fit in the angus face section and the neck could angle up the lane.
I remember seeing a mockup when the first pics came out and people hated "THE FACE".

#23 10 years ago

You guys are all high. The large Angus face on the pro playfield is perfect and fits the band and the theme. You should be working this the other way around and make overlays to put Angus's face back onto the premium machines to replace the flaming C-3PO.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Another option (although Helen is sweet Aurich):
Maybe a Gibson SG (his guitar) overlay would work to complement the images of the band members.
The guitar body would fit in the angus face section and the neck could angle up the lane.
I remember seeing a mockup when the first pics came out and people hated "THE FACE".

That sounds cool, just tricky because you don't want to go over any inserts. Also, THE FACE is freaking huge. It takes a giant ass sticker to cover it. So the kind of scale it takes to cover it means doing something like a guitar might not work. Would be curious to see that mockup though!

#26 10 years ago

I need to update my other thread, I think these are final now, but saw this one and realized I never put the designs in it, just the tease.

I'm thinking I'll probably do a 3 pack, 3 variations on a theme, and you can pick whichever you like better, or replace one later if you're tired of it or it gets worn or whatever. Printed on a nice thin and glossy material, that's removable but has enough stick that it won't be going anywhere unless you peel it up on purpose. I've got someone who's going to test the fit on a Pro for me this week.

Click to enlarge:

Helen-Decals-Final.jpgHelen-Decals-Final.jpg

#27 10 years ago

I don't even have an AC/DC yet and I am considering picking up this set. I have been considering a pro for some time and I think eventually I will get one.

#28 10 years ago

What about a front on view of a train with horns?

Hey, if you sell a bunch buy me a cigar.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I don't even have an AC/DC yet and I am considering picking up this set. I have been considering a pro for some time and I think eventually I will get one.

I'll start a new thread when they're ready, hopefully soon. Thinking of including new apron decals too, gotta work on that.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That's ... not a bad idea. Maybe I'll try sketching that out some time.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's ... not a bad idea. Maybe I'll try sketching that out some time.

It's a great idea but it's not my idea, I've heard it thrown around in conversation before more than once IIRC. Pretty sure Piranha was saying something about it when I bumped into him last year.

The shape is perfect for it. Make it so sir!

#32 10 years ago

Im in , I love it . I had this idea some time back and hoped someone would do it , awesome .. I like the different variations in the set . I do like the 3rd version with more of a view of her body , thus scaling down the size of her face , which would look proportionately better in the whole scope of the game .....to sum it up ...3rd is best for me !! I'll take a hot chick over angus' fugly mug anyday

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

That is a pretty sweet idea!

#34 10 years ago

Simply awesome. Can't wait to put that on my Pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

5,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chittenango, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-pro-anyone-ever-do-an-playfield-face-replace-overlay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.