• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by u2sean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Greetings Pinball World -

I am brand new to the hobby and am looking for advice on purchasing my first pin. After spending time playing a wide variety of titles at a local pinball destination I have set my sights on AC/DC Premium. Before making this first investment I would like to know what to be looking for. I see the market section of Pinside has a few "New in box" and even some "Home use only" selections. I can afford to go either way, but am leaning towards these "HUO" options since some appear to be up to $1,000 cheaper. What should I be on the lookout for if I go down this path? Do the AC/DC pins have any nuances I should be on the lookout for? Just wondering what my in-home inspection checklist should include if I am planning to travel to see these games before making my decision. I am a 100% noob when it comes to this so any advice you can share is much appreciated. Hoping to purchase in the next 1-2 months and am very excited to introduce my 2 young boys to the hobby.

Thanks in advance

#2 5 years ago

look out for friends wanting to come over and play one the best sterns ever made.

#3 5 years ago

if you are going to buy new in box, go with the luci, it will hold its value better than the rest! plus you get the new lower playfield window design on the newer ones.

#4 5 years ago

Welcome to the club

AC/DC is a pretty solid pin, no real issues with it. Some of the early premiums had a 'cloudy' window to the lower playfield which was then rectified in later editions. Other than that I can't think of anything special to look for.

If you buy a HUO or used one, it would be good if it had shooter lane and kick-out hole protectors as those areas of the playfield can be prone to ball damage. I'd also look for a one with color DMD, shaker, lit flashes and cannon mods since those add to the game tremendously (IMHO)

Good luck buying your first pin, AC/DC is a great choice and pinside will have your back if you need any help with it

#5 5 years ago

Thanks everyone so far for the recommendations. It is great to know there is an entire community out there to offer support. I am also interested in learning more about adding on aftermarket mods to this game. How much can I expect to pay for color DMD and shaker? Also, are there relatively easy to install?

#6 5 years ago

The cannon is probably the hardest part to work on, so that should work well. I also had ongoing problems with my lower playfield target switches needing quite a few adjustments. Was a minor pain to get to them but just a minor adjustment you may need to do occasionally.

But too be honest I unboxed it and did very little to it in 2 years ownership. It's one pin I really want back as it is just a riot especially if you enjoy the band.

Shaker 150-250, Color DMD 399+ both are pretty easy to install. Both are the only mods I would do.

Regarding buying it, I would go for HUO one owner as Stern has jacked the price up significantly since i bought it NIB. Sold mine for 5800 which I think is a bit low as they seem to be going up in price not down. Good luck, its a great first choice, and truly a keeper (ignore me I was stupid to sell it).

#7 5 years ago

Color DMD is about $500, shaker motor couple of hundred more. Both are pretty easy to install, but if you've never done any work it can be a bit slow and nerve wrecking

#8 5 years ago

New in box are about $6900 delivered. You shouldn’t pay any sales tax or CC fees if you pay by check or wire. Call to get that price. Stern has minimum advertised pricing so that is why you see $7199 listed for new ones.

Yup Color dmd is $400 plus shipping.
Are the shakers really $150 plus??

Get one especially if you like the band. Fun game

#9 5 years ago

I have an AC/DC Vault premium, and I think the following mods are great:

Color DMD (nice to have) - $450
Flipper Fidelity speakers (nice to have) - $150
PInnovators external sub mod (nice to have) - $30
External Sub (Nice to have) - $100
Shaker (must have) - $100
Invisiglass (nice to have) - $300
Complete Cliffy Set (I think a must have) - $50

I updated the speakers, and added a sub since the music is a big part of the game....

Good luck

#10 5 years ago

I am blown away from the level of support I have received via forum posts and private messages. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me. Really seems like pinsiders have each others back and I am excited to build up my own knowledge base so I can help the next guy out. It is really encouraging to see you guys helping out someone like me who is brand new to the hobby. This is how we will keep pinball around for generations to come. Cheers!!!

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

I am blown away from the level of support I have received via forum posts and private messages. Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge with me. Really seems like pinsiders have each others back and I am excited to build up my own knowledge base so I can help the next guy out. It is really encouraging to see you guys helping out someone like me who is brand new to the hobby. This is how we will keep pinball around for generations to come. Cheers!!!

Yeah the people in the hobby will make you want to be in this hobby more. People want to help with open arms because they need more insane people like them self to join us.

But i warn you and tell you honestly once you have Ac/Dc you will want another to go next to it. You can try fighting this urge but it generally is better to just give in and sell the pool table/ping pong table so you can fit more pins.

#12 5 years ago

Congrats on a fine choice! I'd recommend basing your choice between a new standard Premium and a Luci version with what you prefer to look at for the time you own the pin as opposed to a questionable future value. Some in the hobby actually think the standard version looks better (gasp!) and will pay less for a Luci. To each his own though.

#13 5 years ago

I have an original Premium. Love it.

Repairs I've done:
1. replace color changing lights - aka the musical notes. These tend to go bad. You will notice the music notes will be different colors (compared to the other ones) if one went bad.
Marco sells them:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5333-00
It does involve basic soldering though

2. Lower playfield standup targets are loose and don't register. The only good fix is using Mezel mods standup supports
https://mezelmods.com/collections/acdc-pinball-mods/products/stern-target-splints?variant=923513721

Mods I recommend (in order)
1. Cliffys. The upper scoop cliffy is a bear to get in, but worth it. You need to remove a bunch of things to get to this.
2. Shaker. My only game with a shaker, as I tend to hate shakers. But perfect for this game. Easy to install.
3. Cannon - just looks awesome. Easy to install
4. bell - cheap enough and also pulls everything together. Just snaps on
5. lightning bolt - Pinbits. These are pricey, but incredible in your face light show. Highly recommend these.

#14 5 years ago

One other recommendation I'd make is to put down a small patch of mylar on the lower playfield where the ball sits / is launched into play. I've seen playfield wear in that area before.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.