New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 95675)

AC/DC Premium vs. MET Premium vs. Tron Pro

By FightNightFZ

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Hawk007
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-743.jpg
image-508.jpg
image-432.jpg
image.jpg
spiderman.jpg
image-136.jpg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Out of these three, what would you choose, and why?

I would do a poll but I am really interested on the why behind it. I like the themes about the same but since I have not had a lot of game time on any three (Just around 10 play a piece), I do not know much about the rules, longevity, etc.

Thanks for the help guys!

#2 6 years ago

I currently own 2, but have owned all 3. All great games.

Personally I would say take Tron. It's the most affordable, super immersive and has that "gotta have one more game" draw.

#3 6 years ago

I have had all three at the same time and it was an awesome lineup (Although my MET was a PRO).

I still have the AC/DC and MET. I sold the Tron only because I needed cash for a new car and it had the most value and quicker sale potential. I would still have the Tron and would like to get one back if I can at some point.

If I had to only choose 1 it would be Metallica. For one they are my favorite band. The ramps are awesome. Gameplay and rules are just killer. Sparky rocks. Its METALLICA! Fast and brutal games.

#4 6 years ago

Those are all very fun games. Really you should try to put some more time in on them and decide the one you like. You really can’t go wrong with those choices.

But if I must decide it would be TRON just one more game with great sound and game play.

#5 6 years ago

Yeah I want to put some more plays on but there's just limited places to do so with my schedule, I know I'll like any of the three. Tron seems cool but I would want all the mods and I don't know how easy the install of the most popular ones are (am I missing out on a lot of stuff with just a pro? There's no way I could afford the LE). Metallica seemed loud and awesome with a good amount of modes and toys. AC/DC music I love and I can picture it turned up loud, rocking out the man room.

#6 6 years ago

Metallica Pre, its amazing.

#7 6 years ago

Toss a coin, all are great. Tron is a fast brutal game, ACDC is rocking awesome with a lot of risk/reward, and Metallica is a Borg/Dirty Donny/Lyman masterpiece.

-Wes

#8 6 years ago

I own 2, would buy

Tron first
Acdc premium second

Can't say much about Met premium, but I'm not selling either of the above to buy Met.

IMO Tron with Eli mod and arcade mod is my favorite pin of all all time.

#9 6 years ago

Met Premium >> Tron Pro >>>>>>>>> ACDC Premium

#10 6 years ago

You kind of can't lose with those IMHO. So in that sense you're in a good place.

I have a nicely modded Tron Pro and a Metallica LE, no AC/DC. So can't truly compare all 3. I've played AC/DC though.

I think I'd personally recommend Metallica Premium. I love Tron, it's a great game and I have a strong emotional connection to it, and it has that "one more play" thing going for it. It's a keeper for me. But Metallica has a lot of the same feel, but with more depth. The new Sparky magnet interaction is a lot like the disc on Tron. No upper flipper, but you get a better 1-2 combo on the ramps, and the left ramp shot feels a lot like the Quorra shot. There's just a lot more to shoot for and do on Metallica, with deeper rules. Sometimes you don't want that, and I love having both, but that's what gives it the nod.

AC/DC is obviously an awesome game, but I kind of like objectives in my games. Metallica isn't truly mode based, it's a scoring game with some of the AC/DC risk reward added into it (like in CIU cash in) but it has more discrete things to go for. You're not just setting up combos and stacks and points, though that's there, you're also getting more specific things. Like "I want to play Fade to Black CIU today". Gives you something to shoot for even if you're not having a monster game.

The Met Pro is good, but the extras on the Premium are totally worth it.

Also, Metallica gets the nod on art, even though I love Tron's look, especially with the lit ramps. But hand drawn art is rare these days. Daft Punk on Tron is great, especially with a sub, but I'd rather listen to Metallica than AC/DC. Those are personal call though.

#11 6 years ago

ACDC Premium>>Met Premium>>>>>Tron Pro

All three are obviously winners. I may add a Met in the near future, I just have to struggle with the idea of having two music pins in my small collection.

#12 6 years ago

I'm glad to know that they are all great, makes the decision to add one to the collection even easier. I am an objective based player so it looks like I might narrow down the selection to Tron and MET...........what about a WOZ? What do you guys think of that pin. I only played it twice at the PHOF, but thought it had a lot going for it.

#13 6 years ago

Met/Prem and Acdc/Prem

#14 6 years ago

Don't even think about WOZ without playing it. Cool game, but not for everyone.

#15 6 years ago

I couldn't decide so I just got a MET premium and am keeping the AC/DC premium. both are awesome. very different games. but the best stern has to offer imho. selling a couple of games to get it done! (prob my 24 and WPT)

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

I am an objective based player so it looks like I might narrow down the selection to Tron and MET...........what about a WOZ? What do you guys think of that pin. I only played it twice at the PHOF, but thought it had a lot going for it.

Yeah, that does narrow it down. I love Tron. Fantastic game, and always fun. I haven't been able to tame it yet. AC/DC is no slouch, but it is score based. However some things in it can feel like objectives sometimes.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Yeah, that does narrow it down. I love Tron. Fantastic game, and always fun. I haven't been able to tame it yet. AC/DC is no slouch, but it is score based. However some things in it can feel like objectives sometimes.

Dammit Dave! Why did you have to say that? Now I have to rethink AC/DC lol. I'm hoping that the distributor we have in the area has them set up in their showroom. I'll have to call them.

#18 6 years ago

Lol, called the local distributor....told me Star Trek Pro is 6K for their price, plus tax. Am I wrong thinking this is high?

#20 6 years ago

Damn I forgot about Firebird Pinball lol!!!!

#21 6 years ago

That's what I thought. He was saying most pros will run me around 6 to 6,500........I was like "are you thinking premium?" he said no...

#22 6 years ago

Give me a call. Better make that in an hour. Just finished moving my just new out of box ACDC premium over so that I can fit the TRON pro that is sitting in my driveway.

#23 6 years ago

Also if you decide ACDC premium, Greg Davis just listed his for $6250 and it has every mod ever made on it and know of one other that is being sold to make way for a LTBR ACDC LE

#24 6 years ago

image-136.jpg

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the three. Good luck with your decision.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Give me a call. Better make that in an hour. Just finished moving my NIB ACDC premium over so that I can fit the TRON pro that is sitting in my driveway.

I'll give you a call this weekend and see what we can do. I just got a new job and the signing bonus I get to buy one of these is in the first paycheck so I still have a few weeks. Can you get any of the 3? Also, do you know around how many plays Greg's has? I'm trying to finally get something that is as close to new as possible.

Quoted from tktlwyr:

Decisions, decisions, decisions! Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the three. Good luck with your decision.

Wow, I wish I had the room and the cash to just do it that way lol

#26 6 years ago

Spiderman is also nice

spiderman.jpg

#27 6 years ago

personnal taste, as always, but your pool all wrong for me... as

met is OK & good enough in PRO
ac/dc is more sexy on LUCI
and tron must be on LE

#29 6 years ago

image.jpg

This should make things easier for you.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

This should make things easier for you.

Actually, the one reason that makes it easier is the fact that they are all winners lol. So you'd go AC/DC (10), MET Premium (9.820), and then Tron Pro (7.668), and WOZ (5.896)

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Met Premium >> Tron Pro >>>>>>>>> ACDC Premium

image-432.jpg
Having all 3 even next to each other, I agree with the above assessment.

#32 6 years ago

I own all 3

1) Tron pro is great
2) Metle is another overrated music pin. Its the new hype so everyone thinks its amazing.
3) Acdc prem just blows, it collects dust. It was the flavor of the month at one point.

Thumbs down, I know. All owner feedback must be joy and praise

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

Ive owned all 3 since they came out.

1) Tron pro is great
2) Metle is another overrated music pin. Its the new acdc hype so everyone thinks its amazing.
3) Acdc prem just blows, it collects dust. It was the flavor of the month at one point.

Thumbs down, I know. All owner feedback must be joy and praise.

1) Its not great, its freakin awesome!
2) Love the MetLE, fantastic game as well as the pro....never played a premium.
3)AC/DC prem is the real deal, your statement is full on bogus.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

I own all 3
1) Tron pro is great
2) Metle is another overrated music pin. Its the new hype so everyone thinks its amazing.
Thumbs down, I know. All owner feedback must be joy and praise

Actually, owners should have nothing but praise. Otherwise you should sell games you don't like and solve the problem. Keeping games you outright dislike is really dumb. Ok I guess I should say: owners that aren't stupid should provide praise for games they own. Lol

#35 6 years ago

Feedback on a toy and you're taking it to a personal level?

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

Awards you another Tumb down congratz !

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from deeznuts:

He's got a good point. Why keep the game if it's collecting dust? Sell that bitch and get a SM or ST.

#38 6 years ago

Tron is a blast and tbere is nothing like its spinning disk. It creates the wildest and often fastest returns of any game I have seen. ACDC premium is very strategic and would take a lifetime to master so it too is a keeper. MET is fun but would rank third in my book. Funny that two of the games you identify - ACDC and MET - are difficult games to explain as their rules are a bit nontraditional, while Tron is very intuitive. After not playing Tron for awhile I recently made it to portal and was one shot shy of completing. While totally maddening it was still a great time.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Also if you decide ACDC premium, Greg Davis just listed his for $6250 and it has every mod ever made on it and know of one other that is being sold to make way for a LTBR ACDC LE

Pick up the HUO AC/DC

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Pick up the HUO AC/DC

Yes good advice, get the super nice example of one of your choices..no brainer.

#41 6 years ago

That's what I thought. He was saying most pros will run me around 6 to 6,500........I was like "are you thinking premium?" he said no...

That distro is trying to rip you off. All pros still in production can be had for under $5k shipped.

#42 6 years ago

Wow, I never thought it would be this tough of a decision. The spinning disk of tron sounds awesome. How hard is it to install the must have mods? MET just seems cool, the layout reminds me a little of AFM with the ramps and sparky, and AFM is a pin I enjoy playing. But a badass theme, loud music, and good rules, it seems like a pin I need. So I don't know lol, but I gotta figure it out.

#43 6 years ago

Wow, I never thought it would be this tough of a decision. The spinning disk of tron sounds awesome. How hard is it to install the must have mods? MET just seems cool, the layout reminds me a little of AFM with the ramps and sparky, and AFM is a pin I enjoy playing. But a badass theme, loud music, and good rules, it seems like a pin I need. So I don't know lol, but I gotta figure it out.

Eli's lighted ramp mod is the only "difficult" one to add on. It's not really difficult as much as it's time consuming (just installed my 4th one of these kits last night and it takes around 2-3 hours) and a little nerve wracking as you have to drill around 50+ holes in the 2 ramps. While the ramps are off installing the rest of the mods are cake.

Must have mods
Pinbits Eli Ramp Kit $400
Pinbits florescent plastic protectors $40
Mini Arcade Mod $250
Flynn's Sign $85
Blue LED DMD (either a blue X-pin with the Pinbits blue window installed or a color DMD) $300-$400
Mirror Blades $100
Shaker Motor $200
Powdercoated lasercut armor $300+
Light up recognizer (Made it myself) otherwise around $150
Hallmark light up cycles. (have made them myself) $100
3-bank decal $16
Blue Start Button $5
Under pf slide rails $50
Cliffy Ramp Protectors $50
Cliff Arcade Hole Protector $25
LED's for all incandescents $200+
Metallic Flipper Bats $45
Superbands $3

Some other mods that are nice but not must haves.
Metal Apron with blue windows, Flipper Fidelity sub, flipper fidelity backbox light kit, speaker lights with acrylic cutouts, laseriffic lightcycle topper, lockbar mech, blue coin reject buttons, tournament button.

add it all up and even starting at a Base price Tron Pro at $5K I'm still in this for more than the ACDC premium NIB.

When I decided to sell my old classic restored games and go for some new Sterns, Tron and ACDC premium were the top of my list. Was undecided for the third spot and had a Family Guy but let that go and found a nice LOTR for the 3rd spot. 3 very different excllent playing games.

#44 6 years ago

All I can say is wow! At first glance that looks like a lot of work. I don't know if I'm willing to do that much and I wouldn't want the pin unless it was set up the way it was meant to be played. Maybe it's in my best interest to stick with a MET premium.

#45 6 years ago

All I can say is wow! At first glance that looks like a lot of work. I don't know if I'm willing to do that much and I wouldn't want the pin unless it was set up the way it was meant to be played. Maybe it's in my best interest to stick with a MET premium.

If it's any help, most Trons at this point have half or more of these mods already installed. The one I just picked up just needed the Ramp kit, blue dmd, Pinbits protectors and a handful of the smaller things

#46 6 years ago

yep, you just cant beat the hand drawn art and the code is one of the best in a pinball machine. Go for Metallica Premium.

#47 6 years ago

I don't have a dog in this race... But music pins are tough. I got some time in on Met recently and it was a blast.... But I couldn't hear the music (loud bar). I've thought about targeting the game in the future, but I'm a little gun shy simply because I've never liked Metallica's music. I'm afraid the lure of the band and their tunes is half the fun for fans of the game...

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I don't have a dog in this race... But music pins are tough. I got some time in on Met recently and it was a blast.... But I couldn't hear the music (loud bar). I've thought about targeting the game in the future, but I'm a little gun shy simply because I've never liked Metallica's music. I'm afraid the lure of the band and their tunes is half the fun for fans of the game...

Dont let that stop you. Grab pinball browser and replace out all the music so you can enjoy the game. For example, my acdc no longer had any acdc tracks on it.
image-743.jpgimage-508.jpg

#49 6 years ago

Met is in my sights.

I like ACDC but feel their music would grind on me over time. Fing hilarious Markmon ACDC with no songs in it sounds like the true win win.

Tron is great fun.

I think this is a hard and easy decision at the same time.

As others state you cannot go wrong with any of them.

#50 6 years ago

Lol, called the local distributor....told me Star Trek Pro is 6K for their price, plus tax. Am I wrong thinking this is high?

I thought I recall people posting that you could get a good deal on a NIB ST Pro for around $4600?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.95
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside