Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2013-04-11_at_8.17.02_AM.png
thefamilyarcade.jpg
Screen_Shot_2013-04-10_at_6.56.00_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2013-04-10_at_6.41.26_PM.png
referee-flag.jpg
images-1.jpeg
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 11 years ago

Both of these are the most hyped games games of the day. What would you buy with your $6k, a NIB ACDC Premium or an Iron Man?

#2 11 years ago

I made this exact decision! I love Iron Man and had been considering buying one. But then Stern announced the new production runs of AC/DC. It was a no brainer for me at that point because used Iron Mans are going for about the same price as a NIB AC/DC.

Bought my first NIB game (AC/DC Premium of course!!) and have been loving it - no regrets at all.

#3 11 years ago

IM for me as I am only one of the few in the world who think acdc is a crap game.

#4 11 years ago

Love me some IM, but it ain't no AC/DC!

#5 11 years ago

I actually liked them both equally at the time I made the decision. Now that I have many more plays on AC/DC, it is my favorite.

#6 11 years ago

Have both, love both. AC/DC is the better game.

#7 11 years ago

AC/DC all the way!

#8 11 years ago

IM was the harbinger of the stripped down Stern pinball.

#9 11 years ago

Had both. Sold IM. Still have AC/DC.

#10 11 years ago

before ac/dc came out i was looking for IM for flow and speed, well i got ac/dc now, problem fixed!

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

IM was the harbinger of the stripped down Stern pinball.

ACDC came after IM. So......

#12 11 years ago

Please thats not even a fight. Put it up next to SM or TRON LE. Even AFM or MM.

#13 11 years ago

That's a solid Top 5 right there:

MM
AFM
TRON LE
ACDC
SM

#14 11 years ago

I have both, AC/DC would leave first.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I have both, AC/DC would leave first.

Wow - what is it that makes you like IM more than AC/DC?

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

AC/DC vs. Mike Ditka... who wins?

Quoted from RacerRik:

Wow - what is it that makes you like IM more than AC/DC?

Theme, straight forward gameplay/code, just personal preference? And the fact that everybody seems to already have an AC/DC.

#17 11 years ago

AC/DC Premium hands down. Code is not finished, more greatness to come from the king. Well both of them!!!!!

#18 11 years ago

IM was the harbinger. They turned it around. You know this. I hope everyone here sees this.

#19 11 years ago

I thought maybe it was my absolute favorite callout in IM. When you start up multiball and drain everything and then Tony Stark says "Um, that went....well"

Cracks me up every time!

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
#21 11 years ago

Edit- this guy ^^^ has some anger issues.

Even if IM was a zombie he would obliterate AC/DC in a fight!

images-1.jpegimages-1.jpeg

#22 11 years ago

It could also be the "cheap drains" from the War Machine and Whiplash. Us AC/DC fans sure like games with "cheap drains"!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Unfortunately Tron LE, AFM, and MM are not contenders being out of the price range.

SM vs IM has been done in other threads, with SM consistently edging it out, and here the poll is sitting at 70% ACDC, IM failing again.

#24 11 years ago

I would take IM over SM, personally.

#25 11 years ago
#26 11 years ago

I really don't think threads like this are very useful for the OP, all it does in create a lot of back and forth between those that favor one game or another because of personal tastes. I honestly don't think that anyone on here could tell me which game is better FOR ME than another game.

I mean, except Thefamilyarcade, we all know that Transformers would be the best game for him no matter what it's up against.

#27 11 years ago

ACDC premium is going for as low as 6K and IM is up to 6K? rarity might drive up IM and Down ACDC in future value also...I loved IM and played a pro ACDC for only 3 games... so I did not vote..

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from RacerRik:

Tony Stark says "Um, that went....well"

I believe Jeff Bridges says that?

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I really don't think threads like this are very useful for the OP

I won't disagree, but the poll has some use. So let's avoid redundant banter that is answered with the poll itself and talk features:

Does ACDC fit the bill of a brutally short ball time game like IM?
Does IM have music as good as ACDC?
Is the ACDC lower playfield make up for lack of bash toy?
Are ACDC color changing lights *the* major benefit?
Are Iron Man callouts better than ACDC?
Which has better addictive play at 1 month? at 6 months? 12 months?
Which has better ramps?
Which has better shot flow?

Yea it's all subjective, but assuming someone is equally attracted to both themes, a checklist of sort may help sway some decisions.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

I won't disagree, but the poll has some use. So let's avoid redundant banter that is answered with the poll itself and talk features:
Does ACDC fit the bill of a brutally short ball time game like IM?
Does IM have music as good as ACDC?
Is the ACDC lower playfield make up for lack of bash toy?
Are ACDC color changing lights *the* major benefit?
Are Iron Man callouts better than ACDC?
Which has better addictive play at 1 month? at 6 months? 12 months?
Which has better ramps?
Which has better shot flow?
Yea it's all subjective, but assuming someone is equally attracted to both themes, a checklist of sort may help sway some decisions.

This is a great list and a great way to tackle the subject. AC/DC does edge out IM in my view but not by a huge margin. The color changing LED's (not to mention the stock LED's in general) and just overall better production value are what put AC/DC over the top for me.

AC/DC also has better flow than IM and better ramps, but the magnets in IM are fantastic and I love how the machine seems to fight back at you (war machine is great). There is no comparison on ball times, IM is the most brutal game Stern ever made (only BBH is close in my opinion) . . . IM is the ultimate risk vs. reward game.

#31 11 years ago

Really? is ever DMD pin going to get a poll about if its better than AC/DC? NO IT'S NOT!!

#32 11 years ago

Not an easy answer for some; however, It is easy for me... AC/DC for the following reasons:
Better music - no comparison really
Better flow - Getting on a roll in AC/DC is just a better rush
Better lighting - Color changing leds stock
More crowd/party appeal - AC/DC will draw and keep a crowd longer - even for ppl who don't fashion themselves fans of the band.

Consolation prize does go to IM (b/c it is definitely an awesome game) - Bad a$$ brutal fast paced ball times (who doesn't like a little fight in their pin), Bashing a toy with a hard metal ball (how cool is that - never gets old for a red blooded human at the end of a work day), and Great broad based theme (let's face it - not every visitor can handle the goods that Rosie, horns, hell, hoppin' gang bang cars, and a scurrying sex starved cartoon demon can bring in one little tight package)

#33 11 years ago

I voted IM

Does IM have music as good as ACDC? Yes it does
Is the ACDC lower playfield make up for lack of bash toy? No, I avoid the hell songs, just not for me
Are ACDC color changing lights *the* major benefit? Have to agree, AC/DC has better lighting
Are Iron Man callouts better than ACDC? Yes
Which has better addictive play at 1 month? at 6 months? 12 months? IM
Which has better ramps? I enjoy IM's more because I prefer the game but both don't have any major wow factor
Which has better shot flow? Again not a fair answer as I am bias to IM, Sorry

#34 11 years ago

I think IM is the better game.

The poll certainly will come out with AC/DC on top as there are probably 5x as many AC/DC machines than IM so even if just the owners of the respective machines vote for the one they own AC/DC should get 5 votes for every 1 vote for IM.

And the fact that non owners have more accessibility to AC/DC based on numbers produced.

So I say unless the number of votes for AC/DC exceed 5x that of IM on the poll then even with lower poll results IM is the clear winner.

#35 11 years ago

i have them right next to each other - i play im more for short games - but acdc is the better game as it's not even close - thanks ed

#36 11 years ago

IM is really fun and all, but it's a shell of a game compared to AC/DC. Watch Bowes tutorial on each, he brings out the best in games. After that, the choice is pretty clear even if the AC/DC theme isn't your bag.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I really don't think threads like this are very useful for the OP, all it does in create a lot of back and forth between those that favor one game or another because of personal tastes. I honestly don't think that anyone on here could tell me which game is better FOR ME than another game.
I mean, except Thefamilyarcade, we all know that Transformers would be the best game for him no matter what it's up against.

Hey,love the name drop! You've obviously read only what you want to believe however Or don't have ability to read critically...or understand what you read. I RAIL against people that make "best ever" declarations.

Oh, and check my ratings. TFLE isn't close to being my favorite pin...my defense of TFLE is simply in the best interest of the hobby. Because it doesn't suck in the least. Yet it has a bad rep. Why is that? It's because people who don't know better - or should know better - trash it. Well, I do the opposite. I sing its praises...but I have not and will it say its the best ever...because it's not even MY favorite pin!

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

The poll certainly will come out with AC/DC on top as there are probably 5x as many AC/DC machines than IM so even if just the owners of the respective machines vote for the one they own AC/DC should get 5 votes for every 1 vote for IM.

And the fact that non owners have more accessibility to AC/DC based on numbers produced.

This is a very good point. With only 1,000 IM's made I think it is safe to say many people haven't even had a chance to play this game or may not have had a chance to play this game in a private home setting.

I don't know how many AC/DC's have been made but between the LE's, Premiums, and Pros it has to be at least around 5,000 - 7,000 . . . could even be a little more. Early reports were at least 1,000 AC/DC's were designated for Australia (that number seems incredibly high to me but it was what the Australian pinsiders were saying anyway). If that is true, there are as many AC/DC's in Australia as there are IM's in the world.

LOL, that last sentence makes me sound like John Madden . . . "if they score a touchdown here, they get six points."

#39 11 years ago

Yup. Same with TFLE. As good as IM IMO.

#40 11 years ago

Both trashed early...both will ultimately have excellent, deserved reputations.

#41 11 years ago

But TFLE will ALWAYS be more rare. ONLY 750 produced!!!!

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

That's a solid Top 5 right there:
MM
AFM
TRON LE
ACDC
SM

I have all of them and would pick AC/DC

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

So I say unless the number of votes for AC/DC exceed 5x that of IM on the poll then even with lower poll results IM is the clear winner.

Yes the poll will be skewed because ACDC is newer and more available. I'm fairly certain there have not been 5500 ACDCs produced, as Stern consistently implies recent total annual sales in the 6's, so I'd put ACDC production in the 2-3k range. Coincidentally that is about the lead ACDC holds over IM in the polls at this point. The most accurate reviews are based on significant time with a game (ownership).

I do think these two games represent the best comparison of Stern games in combination of design, theme, and ratings... 2 ramps, 2 flippers, feature rock music, designed and coded by the best in the business. Both have a unique handful of key features (ACDC has the bell, cannon, lower playfield, color changing LEDs) (IM has 2 magnets, kickback, monger). Perhaps preference comes down to mood? I'm careful to have a mix of games just for that purpose.

At its core a game is ultimately rated by the feel of game play. IM game play is more like an EM (but faster) with consistently short ball times, which makes it easier to keep pressing the button because that next ball may be "the one." Considering ACDC does not have short ball times, does it derive its attraction with deep rules (SM/LOTR) or do the rules and layout provide different experiences every time it is played?

#44 11 years ago

Also, there would be more IMs out there if it was a better game and people actually bought them.

Quoted from Baiter:

Yes the poll will be skewed because ACDC is newer and more available.

#45 11 years ago

AC/DC does not have short ball times? Really?

If you think the poll is skewed and that others here haven't play IM then why bother with the poll.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

If you think the poll is skewed and that others here haven't play IM then why bother with the poll.

That's kinda what I was thinking.. I personally only contribute in a poll if I've played all games in question. In a head to head matchup like this, I can't imagine people voting if they haven't played both games, but who knows.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

That's the question. Do you have a comparative answer?

#48 11 years ago

I own both and play both a lot.

I feel it is not really fair to compare a Premium game to a non-Premium, but in the spirit of conversation, I'll offer some opinions.

I think there is something to be said about a non-premium game (IM) that is commanding prices near AC/DC Premium. Iron Man has become a game that people have come to respect, not just collectors but players as well. There is no question that there are not a lot of add-on gadgets and toys and features on Iron Man, but it offers a fun factor that is hard to deny. The start button gets pressed often on Iron Man. The player always feels they were close to a break out game. Eventually they hit it and they are thrilled.

That is a sure-fire sign of a good game. I gotta play one more...

You asked some questions on these topics:

Ball time: On factory settings Iron Man will have shorter ball times. This is easily verified with people who have access to both and have games on factory settings. Can AC/DC be brutal, of course! (Conversely, Iron Man can be somewhat longer, but not often). Iron Man is a shorter playing game. Look at the goals in the 2 games. Iron Man's overall goals are not as in-depth as AC/DC.

Music: Both games are music integrated. I think the benefit in Iron Man is that as a player is doing better in the game, the music draws him in more. The player knows when he is getting to clutch situations. In AC/DC the music is always cranking. Nothing wrong with that but when a player is getting to that critical jackpot there is not necessarily a crescendo at the song.

Bash toy and lower pf: The toys offer different experiences. The Iron Man bash toy is actually more integrated in that a player CAN get punished by playing it incorrectly. The lower playfield offers little-to-no risk other than the occasional random shot from the cannon after exiting Hell. It is fun to play and important to the scoring in the game.

The lights: the color changing lights in AC/DC Premium add a great visual and rule experience to the AC/DC Premium. No other way to describe it. Iron Man can't compete in that department because it does not have that technology.

Callouts: Both games have great callouts, but I feel AC/DC does not offer as much cause and effect call out use.

Addiction: Iron Man has 3000 plays at my home in about 3 years. It is one of the most popular games at parties and for solo use. AC/DC will likely match that pace (Ask me again in a couple years). They are both highly addictive. AC/DC offers the smaller goal of song sub-championships which entices competition.

Ramps: Both ramps offer the yo-yo feature, but AC/DC can get interrupted with multiballs and cannon shots. There is certainly more importance of the AC/DC ramps. (All multiball starts, Jackpot collections)

Flow: Iron Man does not stop the ball as much as AC/DC Premium. That is a non-contestable fact. That does not mean AC/DC does not flow or is slow. But there are simply more playfield locations and times in the game that will stop the ball in AC/DC.

Which should you buy for 6K? Dang, I feel for you, buddy (Seriously, if you think you will have space/can eventually afford to have both, buy Iron Man first. Easier to find AC/DC)

Hope that helps

#49 11 years ago

The post above is written by a great pinball player whom owns both, and can brutalize anyone's high scores on any given game at almost any time . If I was to design my own pinball I would have the Corpse do the game rules with staking features ect ect ect .. Thanks for your input . I always read it . So I sold my IM to Dan so fast and seem to regret it a little but not as much as I thought. IM beat me up . i need more skills

#50 11 years ago

TWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

Btw, Ac/Dc rocks your balls off. IM is shallow and no holding ground in a home environment. Fun to play once in awhile at other peoples houses or on route. Wouldn't want to own one.

referee-flag.jpgreferee-flag.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

16,500 (Firm)
$ 12.95
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
There are 149 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-vs-im and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.