B44449D2-D838-48F4-B87B-601BE5833BE7 (resized).png
7754B4CE-F6A6-4779-8A02-57DF8C18966F (resized).jpeg
8AAC433B-380A-47DD-AF7E-FB8F5740985C (resized).jpeg
4FC4428F-6FD9-4D59-ADF4-35976444071B (resized).jpeg
38F0A3F3-440F-4182-BB2D-109864DD283D (resized).jpeg
5FBB6F49-5B66-4004-9A71-F0E7FDC1417E (resized).png
1D6857EC-D7C1-4F42-BE0F-F1EE6E8FFC7B (resized).png
11 2017 b (resized).jpg
There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.
#401 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I must be in the minority... I think AC/DC looks great cab and playfield. It’s a great game... in your face images... perfect for the band

It's one of the commonly cited examples of "horrible art, but no one cares... because the game is fun" - proving greatness is an ensemble- not the best of the best mashup.

The PF art is just a few clips. Honestly I never noticed....

#402 6 years ago
Quoted from fusion:

Thanks for the pic- is it the same way at the outhole and the bell scoop?

Yep

#403 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's one of the commonly cited examples of "horrible art, but no one cares... because the game is fun" - proving greatness is an ensemble- not the best of the best mashup.

It really isn't horrible. The Premium and LE's always looked nice in person. The Angus face Pro got flack because it looked like a decal covering up a missing feature, and wasn't cohesive with the rest of the art package. The Premium, while Photoshop and not hand drawn, is still absolutely cohesive, absolutely represents the theme well, and I don't find it offensive to my eyes in any way. I find it far more pleasing than Ritchie's other truly horrible looking Photoshop games - WPT, Elvis, 24, GOT ...all visual stinkers.

#404 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Honestly, I wouldn't mess with it. If it's reliable, that's fine. If you make it so it hits 80% of the time into the jukebox, that 20% of the time will drive you crazy.

And that 20% "is" annoying.

#405 6 years ago

Does the cabinet come with the new reinforced corners like star wars LE/premium received?

#406 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Installed the Hooked apron this morning. Couple more things to go and it’ll be a wrap

I love the look of that apron...where did you buy it?

#407 6 years ago
Quoted from fusion:

Does the cabinet come with the new reinforced corners like star wars LE/premium received?

From what others have noted, it appears this cabinet is built to a different spec since it is a SAM game. Check out this thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/daveh-is-a-hypocrite

#408 6 years ago

PtownPin hooked on pinball had a pretty substantial Labor Day sale so I snagged it for around $260. Even at full asking price it’s very sweet

http://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p19/ADDC-Metal-Apron-Upgrade-Pinball-Mod

#409 6 years ago

ptownpin hooked on pinball had a pretty substantial Labor Day sale so I snagged it for around $260. Even at full asking price it’s very sweet
http://www.hookedonpinball.com/store/p19/ADDC-Metal-Apron-Upgrade-Pinball-Mod

Thanks Gorilla...did you install side mirrors?

#410 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I love the look of that apron...where did you buy it?

It's pricey but very nice looking. I encourage everyone to look into the red transparent apron with the flashers under it as well. That is what I have and when the canon is ready to fire it pulses. Looks awesome.

#411 6 years ago

AC/DC Premium arrived today, and everything looks great although after draining the game goes through a ball search after the 2 or 3rd ball...Has anyone had this issue....

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

AC/DC Premium arrived today, and everything looks great although after draining the game goes through a ball search after the 2 or 3rd ball...Has anyone had this issue....

Check your ball trough in the diagnostic. The one marked "CLR" will unload your ball trough and let you watch as the balls come back in. Run through a few cycles of complete load/unload continuously. Sometimes a flaky switch/opto will only misbehave every few times. Sounds like your issue.

#413 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check your ball trough in the diagnostic. The one marked "CLR" will unload your ball trough and let you watch as the balls come back in. Run through a few cycles of complete load/unload continuously. Sometimes a flaky switch/opto will only misbehave every few times. Sounds like your issue.

Thanks....Vireland.....I'm on it now

#414 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

It's the switches in the trough. My Vault Pro was totally flaky, sometimes not ending multiball when I drained down to 1 ball.

The leafs of the microswitches have a bend to them. They are curved to stick up higher, but a slow ball sometimes doesn't have the momentum to trip it, and the ball sits behind the switch trapped by it. I just reached in with a switch adjuster and bent them flat. Poof, problem goes away. takes about a minute to do ones you see how it's happening.

#415 6 years ago

PtownPin yup! Blades, bolts and invisiglass installed today. She’s all done, woohoo!

D69AEFF8-73DC-4EAC-9521-EC174AECE898 (resized).jpegD69AEFF8-73DC-4EAC-9521-EC174AECE898 (resized).jpeg

#416 6 years ago

ptownpin yup! Blades, bolts and invisiglass installed today. She’s all done, woohoo!

Bootyful!

#417 6 years ago

ptownpin yup! Blades, bolts and invisiglass installed today. She’s all done, woohoo!

That a boy ... looks awesome....I've done my bolts, tracks, shaker, flippers, color dmd, and invisiglass....tomorrow I'll tackle my Cliffy's, and try to fix my trough issue, which is annoying since it tests correctly in diagnostics.....I'm gonna try DaveH suggestion in the morning...

#418 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

It's the switches in the trough. My Vault Pro was totally flaky, sometimes not ending multiball when I drained down to 1 ball.
The leafs of the microswitches have a bend to them. They are curved to stick up higher, but a slow ball sometimes doesn't have the momentum to trip it, and the ball sits behind the switch trapped by it. I just reached in with a switch adjuster and bent them flat. Poof, problem goes away. takes about a minute to do ones you see how it's happening.

Thanks Dave....I'll give that a shot today although I don't have a switch adjuster

#419 6 years ago

I woke up this morning, and decided to play a few games before work. I turned on the game and smoke started coming out. I shut down the game, and inspected under the play field and nothing was HOT or obvious burning/melted. I then opened the back glass and checked the fuses ...all were fine. I then turned power back on to see if I could see the problem, and nothing (no smoke). I tried to start a game and although the game started the balls wouldn't load. I then called Stern support, and after some trouble shooting (no switches fired, but they had power to the coils). We went through a series of other tests, and it looks like I have a bad CPU board (but he wasn't 100% certain). Looks like I'm down for a week or so?

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Thanks Dave....I'll give that a shot today although I don't have a switch adjuster

The adjuster just makes it easier. You can do the same with a pair of needle nose pliers, but the slots in the trough are pretty small.

Bummer to hear about your CPU. Hope you are up and running quickly.

#421 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The adjuster just makes it easier. You can do the same with a pair of needle nose pliers, but the slots in the trough are pretty small.
Bummer to hear about your CPU. Hope you are up and running quickly.

yea...rumor has it they won't ship the CPU until Monday or Tuesday so down for the count for a while....kinda sucks especially after u get a new game...kids are pretty upset...they love AC/DC

#422 6 years ago

If you have mirror blades double check that the flasher behind the train didn't shift and the wire is against the blade. Happened to a friend. Got a humming noise and then smoke. Likely never found that.

Sounded like you just did some mods install so figured I'd offer that history up if it helps.

1 week later
#423 6 years ago

Any videos out there??

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Any videos out there??

Yes, would be awesome if someone could do a premium vault video.
How about the removable plastic window? Were the concerns of it not being level and affecting the ball travel justified or is it fine?

#425 6 years ago
Quoted from facelift:

Yes, would be awesome if someone could do a premium vault video.
How about the removable plastic window? Were the concerns of it not being level and affecting the ball travel justified or is it fine?

zero issues with mine....

#426 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

zero issues with mine....

If there’s anyway you could do a quick video it would be greatly appreciated

1 week later
#427 6 years ago

Looks great.

2 questions, as I am looking at buying one.

1. What was your total out of pocket? Maybe line item your costs - so I know what my investment options are.
2. Did you run your finger around the big plastic insert -hell insert? Is that plastic tight and level against the wood all the way around?

Thanks - debating on buying this one or used. Leaning towards the VE based on reading info.

Thank you!

#428 6 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Looks great.
2 questions, as I am looking at buying one.
1. What was your total out of pocket? Maybe line item your costs - so I know what my investment options are.
2. Did you run your finger around the big plastic insert -hell insert? Is that plastic tight and level against the wood all the way around?
Thanks - debating on buying this one or used. Leaning towards the VE based on reading info.
Thank you!

Gorilla really pimped out his game...I didn't quite go so crazy (thats a compliment to Gorilla), but I added a color dmd ($400+), shaker ($100), Cliffy's ($65), invisiglass ($300), external sub ($100) + the cost of the game, which u should be able to get delivered NIB for $6800K....my lower play field window is flush with zero issues. Its actually a big improvement over the original game (IMO) as its removable, and actually clear. The older machines had a clear coat over the window, which made it look cloudy...the other big improvement is the back box design. The VE has the a newer back box that actually tilts up the DMD in order to reduce glare. Its actually well designed.....

#429 6 years ago

Any recommendation on the external sub?

#430 6 years ago

What distributor did you use, thx

2 weeks later
#431 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'll "calm down" if you pay attention to the reason for my post. Deal? I'll spell it out....
It was said (and what i quoted) the removable playfield was an "upgrade". It is not an UPGRADE. It looks worse and adds the risk of leveling problems to something that had zero issues with that. You can argue the looks but you can't argue the risk of level issues down the road.
I'm still happy people can buy the game NIB again as it's a great game. With the pro Stern made some good improvements. With the prem I'm of the opinion that they downgraded things. In addition to what was talked about they give you a shadow in the band, smaller sub, latch style bar (I prefer that but most like the old style better).
I just stated the obvious when the topic came up. Heck, "upgrade" is even in the title with a question mark. Thus a question so an answer was provided....
Oh, and to add, if you open it up and play the game and a slow ball catches an edge of that insert and drains I'm sure someone would "give a shit". Maybe you've never played games with massive removable inserts. If not perfectly level they DO impact game play.

I can see you've calmed down

#432 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I can see you've calmed down

Nope, just stopped arguing with you until you had to pipe up again trying to be a smart ass.

The lower window, to me, is still not an "UPGRADE". I've played the VE and it plays good but I still don't like the look of how they incorporated the window. I still stand by all of my statements. I still strongly feel that down the road their are going to be a number of people that start to have leveling issues. It's inevitable with an insert system like that.

I am still happy that people that wanted an AC/DC had a chance to pick up new ones and I'm happy that those whom have bought are enjoying their games. I chose to try and be helpful to those people in this thread whom were enjoying their games and looking for ideas. After this response I'm going to continue to do the same and wont participate in your antics.

#433 6 years ago

I love that the ACDC Ve came out people were just charging unrealistic amounts for their games and now you can choose I would say within $300 of what game you want either new or the old style thanks Sern...

#434 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Nope, just stopped arguing with you until you had to pipe up again trying to be a smart ass.
The lower window, to me, is still not an "UPGRADE". I've played the VE and it plays good but I still don't like the look of how they incorporated the window. I still stand by all of my statements. I still strongly feel that down the road their are going to be a number of people that start to have leveling issues. It's inevitable with an insert system like that.
I am still happy that people that wanted an AC/DC had a chance to pick up new ones and I'm happy that those whom have bought are enjoying their games. I chose to try and be helpful to those people in this thread whom were enjoying their games and looking for ideas. After this response I'm going to continue to do the same and wont participate in your antics.

I think both essentially the exact same games...we could argue all day if the lower window is an upgrade or not. My experience thus far is that there are no leveling issues, and the clear window is nicer....the rest of the differences really don't affect game play at all....

#435 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Some of us just play & enjoy them; we're not running tournaments out of our house. I feel the leveling issues IF any at all down the road will be very minor.

#436 6 years ago

Anyone know where to find a dancing band cover mod? I was hoping someone would make them available again for the Vault purchasers, but I can't find anything.

#437 6 years ago

+1 on the dancing band cover mod.

#440 6 years ago

My premium arrives tomorrow, my second time around. Can anyone help with changing the songs? I want to replace two songs with dirty deeds and shoot to thrill. Thanks.

Also looking for an unmodded cannon. $53 on eBay seems pretty high, but I may not have a choice.

#441 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

Anyone know where to find a dancing band cover mod? I was hoping someone would make them available again for the Vault purchasers, but I can't find anything.

That was me. I think I still have the template. If so I'll try to make another batch if there's interest in them.

#442 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

That was me. I think I still have the template. If so I'll try to make another batch if there's interest in them.

Is there anyway to make the top out of Mirror PetG or Mirror Acrylic. I think a cleaner look.
thx.

I did see it on youtube:
Version 2:

Version 1:

#443 6 years ago

Sudsy7 ... post on https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fantastic-acdc-le-premium-band-lighting-mod-from-kimballs

https://images.pinside.com/1/ab/1ab203f0fcb89d8ad060d8478c77813494539fc7/resized/large/1ab203f0fcb89d8ad060d8478c77813494539fc7.jpg

Check out the mirror acrylic ACDC - this would be great if made from mirror PETG instead .... AND ....we used 85vett's lighting - version 2.

Can you do this 85vett? Or can I just order the wire - light set?
thx.

#444 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

I'm definitely interested and it appears there may be several more.

#445 6 years ago

I played the premium VE a lot, and I have an original to compare to.

The VE is great. The removable lower playfield cover is a big upgrade. It shoots the same.

The only bummer is the weight. It's lighter, and you can feel it. If you're not big on nudging and slides, you'll hardly notice, however. And it's not THAT big of a deal. It's just noticeable.

Pick up a VE! Stern's best game with some improvements. I'll never get rid of my original, but I think this is the best VE to date. It plays nearly identical.

#446 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

And all I said originally was calm down and throw in some black screws its no biggie honestly. There was no argument???until you got over emotional about a pin you don't even own and sarcastic... and now name calling.

I have a premium and my friend has a vault, there is zero difference and yeah he like I believe it's definitely an improvement... the window can be replaced now. Great idea. The aesthetic appeal is the only real change And that is subjective.

You say your happy for these people? You don't seem it, particularly getting so hung up over a minor change that bares no weight on making this vault ed pinball worse than the originals.

You keep banging on about the problems this change can or does cause ....down the road (anything can and sometimes does happen "down the road"). ok...

Let's ask so more vault owners. Are these real issues guys?

So yeah again calm down... and be happy for these guys and actually mean it. Seems to me like you've decided to pick a change to complain about on these vaults and won't let it go. No antics here I just call things as I see em. Peace

#447 6 years ago

Had a PRO, played a lot of Premium old runs and now have a PREMIUM VAULT. Couldn't be happier....no difference at all. The Vault is a beautiful and great playing machine with zero issues at all.
I was offered a really nice HUO ACDC Premium (an old/original run) as I wanted to order the VAULT. But for a few hundred less (450) I decided I'd rather go for a brand new one instead. For me it was the most logic thing to do and I do not regret that decision at all.

11 2017 b (resized).jpg11 2017 b (resized).jpg

#448 6 years ago

85vett add another to the list for a band cover!

#449 6 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Sudsy7 ... post on https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fantastic-acdc-le-premium-band-lighting-mod-from-kimballs
https://images.pinside.com/1/ab/1ab203f0fcb89d8ad060d8478c77813494539fc7/resized/large/1ab203f0fcb89d8ad060d8478c77813494539fc7.jpg
Check out the mirror acrylic ACDC - this would be great if made from mirror PETG instead .... AND ....we used 85vett's lighting - version 2.
Can you do this 85vett? Or can I just order the wire - light set?
thx.

I can't do mirror. Everything was hand made with basically a dremil. Replied to your pm. If you have the tools to do this easier I'll help out where I can to let you take over. No real desires to make these again but will to help out some new owners.

#450 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

And all I said originally was calm down and throw in some black screws its no biggie honestly. There was no argument???until you got over emotional about a pin you don't even own and sarcastic... and now name calling.
I have a premium and my friend has a vault, there is zero difference and yeah he like I believe it's definitely an improvement... the window can be replaced now. Great idea. The aesthetic appeal is the only real change And that is subjective.
You say your happy for these people? You don't seem it, particularly getting so hung up over a minor change that bares no weight on making this vault ed pinball worse than the originals.
You keep banging on about the problems this change can or does cause ....down the road (anything can and sometimes does happen "down the road"). ok...
Let's ask so more vault owners. Are these real issues guys?
So yeah again calm down... and be happy for these guys and actually mean it. Seems to me like you've decided to pick a change to complain about on these vaults and won't let it go. No antics here I just call things as I see em. Peace

Go look at any game mass produced with a large insert like that (creature, black hole, genisis, haunted house, etc) and tell me if you don't see a large percentage of them with level issue that cause premature pf wear and or effects the ball. I'd much rather wind up with some haze from a permanent insert over that any day of the week and twice on sunday. I've been screwed by that several times in league and tournaments. I'm a competitive player and introducing that risk to a game will never be considered an improvement to me.

My argument was that it's not an UPGRADE and I stand by that. I'm of the opinion stern did that as they were too afraid of ghosting on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.95
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
16,500 (Firm)
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-vault-upgrades/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.