B44449D2-D838-48F4-B87B-601BE5833BE7 (resized).png
7754B4CE-F6A6-4779-8A02-57DF8C18966F (resized).jpeg
8AAC433B-380A-47DD-AF7E-FB8F5740985C (resized).jpeg
4FC4428F-6FD9-4D59-ADF4-35976444071B (resized).jpeg
38F0A3F3-440F-4182-BB2D-109864DD283D (resized).jpeg
5FBB6F49-5B66-4004-9A71-F0E7FDC1417E (resized).png
1D6857EC-D7C1-4F42-BE0F-F1EE6E8FFC7B (resized).png
11 2017 b (resized).jpg

There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

No.... not my machine. It's the art supplied by the distributor page linked earlier in this thread.
One would **assume** that it's generally what will be used...exact? Probably not. Close? Probably. Potentially way off? Maybe.
Hence my remarks in post #148.

Gotcha....I am sure "ACTUAL" real world pics will be coming soon....

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Gotcha....I am sure "ACTUAL" real world pics will be coming soon....

Lots of pics here now. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-acdc-premiumle-29

Glad people can get a new AC/DC again. I still don't feel the insert is an upgrade but the art around the DMD does look nice.

#153 6 years ago

Mine's on a truck, so I can breathe a sigh of relief they didn't didn't do anything too drastic

I do prefer the old insert, but I'm sure it will look fine when it's all lit up. Can't tell if the rails are standard or not, not a big deal to me either way. I do see they kept the hinges red. Pretty stoked!

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Frankly, that makes the original run of premiums (not to mention the older style cabinets, larger woofer cut-out, etc) more valuable/collectable, IMO.

I don't think it makes the original more valuable. In fact, it has already impacted the value of the original just by existing.

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I don't think it makes the original more valuable. In fact, it has already impacted the value of the original just by existing.

That remains to be seen... the value of the original drops right now, because a new anchored price point of a NIB has been introduced. But, a year or two down the road, the VE is missing something that likely will never be reproduced because of licensing agreements. That being any image of the drummer:

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.26.44 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.26.44 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.27.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.27.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.27.16 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.27.16 PM (resized).png

But it also has a significantly different look around the giant insert in the middle of the playfield... all of those posts add a lot more business onto a playfield that's already busy:

Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.26.59 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2017-09-19 at 6.26.59 PM (resized).png

What people ultimately decide is more valuable/desirable remains to be seen... and truthfully, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. But, a few months ago, there was a lot of speculation that the Premium might offer some kind of new premium art package. The reality is, the only real change is that some images were removed.

#156 6 years ago

New game has metal back box with out coffin lock set up I assume? also does it have the old style lock down bar mech or the new snap clips? lastly I believe they downsized the Sub woofer to a 6" or 8" from a 12"?

#157 6 years ago

I'm gonna sell my original Premium, so I'm biased, I'm price pumping, I'm whatever else, but I just gotta say, the new black surround and torx screws for the lower playfield window looks like shit.

The shadow drummer is lol, but who cares, it's utterly a non issue, but I definitely don't consider that new lower playfield look any kind of upgrade. Must be some reason they did it, maybe the quality control on clearing over the window sucked, but bleh.

#158 6 years ago

I'm not thrilled with the screws for the lower playfield as well. My 1st opinion is it looks like crap. In another thread someone mentioned paint them black. Why would Stern do that out of the gate? Because they don't care. I was so excited about this game but this right in the middle of the playfield is killing it for me. This should push some folks over to the pro vault very quickly.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from fishmanrob:

I'm not thrilled with the screws for the lower playfield as well. My 1st opinion is it looks like crap. In another thread someone mentioned paint them black. Why would Stern do that out of the gate? Because they don't care. I was so excited about this game but this right in the middle of the playfield is killing it for me. This should push some folks over to the pro vault very quickly.

One big reason I never picked up a Pro was because of "the face". I thought I'd hate to look at that all the time. When the Pro VE came out without it, I jumped on it. After owning it for a bit I realize the face didn't matter that much. The game itself is outstanding.

I consider the screws to be the same thing. After a few games, I wouldn't ever notice them. Plus, no cloudy windows, and it can be replaced. That is a massive upgrade.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

That is a massive upgrade.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Plus, no cloudy windows, and it can be replaced. That is a massive upgrade.

Seriously? Outside of the initial LE runs AC/DC prem doesn't have cloudy windows. I've yet to see an insert that needed to be replaced as well. I've got a wall art PF that was played to *&^%. It's beat up in several places and the insert is still perfectly flush and not cloudy. You may feel it's an upgrade but "a massive upgrade" is pushing it quite a bit.

Let's all be honest with ourselves. The only reason I see why stern did that is because they were not confident they could clear over it without getting ghosting with their new PF process.

People say it's easier with the removable window. Yeah, by a couple mins max and for the once a year it needs to be removed that's a non-issue. I still stand behind my statement that nothing about that insert is an upgrade. In order to be an upgrade it needs to be an improvement.
Having the black boarder - not an improvement
Having screws in your PF - not an improvement
Having level issue down the road - not an improvement, and please don't tell me their wont be people that wont have issue with the insert not being plush at some point. Maybe not NIB (knowing Stern, probably will be some NIB) but a couple years down the road it will be an issue. Look at any game with a huge removable insert in it like that. You will find games without issues but you will find a lot with. I'm thinking, Congo, CFTBL, Black hole, etc..
Easier to remove - I'll give you that. It takes me 5 mins to remove and put mine back in. So if you cut that down to 2 mins that is an improvement in time but not worthy of the negatives, IMHO

If people were having issues with their inserts in the prem's, OK, but that's is not a common issue at all.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Seriously? Outside of the initial LE runs AC/DC prem doesn't have cloudy windows. I've yet to see an insert that needed to be replaced as well. I've got a wall art PF that was played to *&^%. It's beat up in several places and the insert is still perfectly flush and not cloudy. You may feel it's an upgrade but "a massive upgrade" is pushing it quite a bit.
Let's all be honest with ourselves. The only reason I see why stern did that is because they were not confident they could clear over it without getting ghosting with their new PF process.
People say it's easier with the removable window. Yeah, by a couple mins max and for the once a year it needs to be removed that's a non-issue. I still stand behind my statement that nothing about that insert is an upgrade. In order to be an upgrade it needs to be an improvement.
Having the black boarder - not an improvement
Having screws in your PF - not an improvement
Having level issue down the road - not an improvement, and please don't tell me their wont be people that wont have issue with the insert not being plush at some point. Maybe not NIB (knowing Stern, probably will be some NIB) but a couple years down the road it will be an issue. Look at any game with a huge removable insert in it like that. You will find games without issues but you will find a lot with. I'm thinking, Congo, CFTBL, Black hole, etc..
Easier to remove - I'll give you that. It takes me 5 mins to remove and put mine back in. So if you cut that down to 2 mins that is an improvement in time but not worthy of the negatives, IMHO
If people were having issues with their inserts in the prem's, OK, but that's is not a common issue at all.

If you look at the total package, this Premium is an overall downgrade to the original. No new art was added, the drummer was taken away. The gaudy execution of the playfield window. Smaller woofer. Frankly, the new style backbox does nothing for me (especially after having to take one apart on a prior machine to replace a factory damaged head board... I got an up-close and personal look at how flimsy it is).

People can spend whatever they want on whatever they want, but getting an unmmoded VE for $6800-$6900... versus roughly $7K for an original with legit upgrades. Well, for me, the choice would be pretty simple.

#163 6 years ago

I'm personally surprised at the concessions of the Premium VE. In the past, VE's have offered some sort of upgrade or improvement over the original. I get the backbox design has changed which some don't like, and some small things like SMVE losing bouncing GG, but the IMVE, SMVE, and ACDC ProVE all appeared like net improvements to the originals with better art, or better magnets, or new DMD panel art... etc.

ACDC PremVE just takes away and takes away. There's not one improvement over the original. Are the changes minor? Sure, I'll accept that. But even at that, it's just small concession after small concession. No upgrades at all that I can see.

What I don't get are those that just said the originals just went up in value. No they didn't. Before the VE, there was a certain supply and a certain demand. Some will buy the VE (probably not as many as we thought a few weeks ago, but still some) and those VE buyers are no longer part of the "demand" for used originals. The originals haven't changed in supply... so why would the originals go up in value? I mean, if you look at the last week when a bunch came on the market, ok, those may go back up in value relative to their value last week... but in the aggregate of original Prem values from 3-12 months ago vs. today, I can't see why they'd go UP in value when supply is the same, and the only thing to change is that some people from the demand side bought a VE.

#164 6 years ago

I was thinking of getting the AC/DC premium vault. I am no longer interested. Those screws in the hell lower playfield look awful. Jmho

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I'm personally surprised at the concessions of the Premium VE. In the past, VE's have offered some sort of upgrade or improvement over the original. I get the backbox design has changed which some don't like, and some small things like SMVE losing bouncing GG, but the IMVE, SMVE, and ACDC ProVE all appeared like net improvements to the originals with better art, or better magnets, or new DMD panel art... etc.
ACDC PremVE just takes away and takes away. There's not one improvement over the original. Are the changes minor? Sure, I'll accept that. But even at that, it's just small concession after small concession. No upgrades at all that I can see.
What I don't get are those that just said the originals just went up in value. No they didn't. Before the VE, there was a certain supply and a certain demand. Some will buy the VE (probably not as many as we thought a few weeks ago, but still some) and those VE buyers are no longer part of the "demand" for used originals. The originals haven't changed in supply... so why would the originals go up in value? I mean, if you look at the last week when a bunch came on the market, ok, those may go back up in value relative to their value last week... but in the aggregate of original Prem values from 3-12 months ago vs. today, I can't see why they'd go UP in value when supply is the same, and the only thing to change is that some people from the demand side bought a VE.

What's interesting to me is that the Original now has a true unique/limited nature. Why? Because the art has changed. You simply will never see anymore ACDC's with the drummer made (new). So, the supply that's in the market is the supply in the market.

Good. Bad... in different... it is a distinguishing difference that no mod can compensate for.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

What's interesting to me is that the Original now has a true unique/limited nature. Why? Because the art has changed. You simply will never see anymore ACDC's with the drummer made (new). So, the supply that's in the market is the supply in the market.
Good. Bad... in different... it is a distinguishing difference that no mod can compensate for.

True, but that's the same supply that was there always. But for those who just simply want ACDC Prem gameplay, they have 2 choices instead of one.

Also, can we start the clock before someone has a drummer sticker mod for the dancing band? I'm putting it at 1 week from today

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The shadow drummer is lol.

Wonder if Stern will shadow pictures of certain former game developers as well?

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I was thinking of getting the AC/DC premium vault. I am no longer interested. Those screws in the hell lower playfield look awful. Jmho

$2 at the hardware store would probably buy you some replacement black screws.

But... as is tradition, Pinside has to pout about something on new games.

#169 6 years ago

From just looking at pics the new Vault appears to be a downgrade from the current Premium. The playfield window is the biggest downgrade IMO as the old non-removable window looks better and should be more maintenance free.-cloudy windows were only a problem on the very early games.

I think we need to get some real reviews from people that have played the new Vault to see what areas are better or worse between versions.

Thanks I'd be interested in knowing:
1. Is the game software the exact same or are there minor differences to account for the changes
2. Do the new LED's have the same refresh rate as the old or did they improve it?-refresh rate/flicker sucks on the original compared to more recent SAM titles.
3. Is the new auto ball launch assembly more reliable?-this is a weak spot on previous games.

I have an original Premium and I'm really hoping that this release will give the game more attention from Stern and I'll cross my fingers that they'll give Lyman a bit more time to polish up the original rule-set and add in the changes he wants to make. The current rules are great but new code would bring extra excitement and perhaps sell more Vault games for Stern!

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

True, but that's the same supply that was there always. But for those who just simply want ACDC Prem gameplay, they have 2 choices instead of one.
Also, can we start the clock before someone has a drummer sticker mod for the dancing band? I'm putting it at 1 week from today

Guaranteed Stern will go after anyone that tries to make that sticker (any kind of official format)... but his image is also gone from at least two places on the table.

I guess the point is: The VE and Original aren't equals. I see no reason why they VE will have an effect on the market for the Original. If anything, I'd value the VE as less. Just me though.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

You have to admit it shows a complete lack of care when Stern couldn't be bothered.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I've been in the market for this game for a while, and could really care less about the drummer or the screws (thats just me). I only really cared that I had to pay up for a premium. Its basically the exact same game, with the same exact code, and music. The difference is you can get basically the same game for less $ or around the same amount of $. As a consumer its nice to have options.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Agreed. But, come on... who in Stern decided this was the right way to proceed? Stern simply doesn't give a flying F about the details, despite saying they realize they cater to a collector market.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

It's not the color but the fact they are there as well as the associated boarder that was needed for the insert.

Any person of minimal intelligence would know the color could be changed.

Look at it this way. Go to your car. I'm now putting the hinge bolts for the door on the outside vs the inside. The bolts are colored to match you car. Still looks worse than a smooth door, right?

Before you belittle people's concerns think about them more holistically and it will be clearer.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I've been in the market for this game for a while, and could really care less about the drummer or the screws (thats just me). I only really cared about the premium one had to pay for a used machine, the actual game play, and of course the music. I highly doubt the game play will be any different, and we all know the music is the same. The difference is you can get basically the same game for less $. As a consumer its nice to have options.

Really not that big of a difference. Non modded games could be had for sub 7k before the VE talk and should still be able to be found now. The price for unmodded original and new VE is pretty close. With VE you get new though so that's nice if the changes don't bother you (and for some they wont).

Some people may have been asking over 7k for their unmodded games but I'm not seeing those really selling for that price.

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

It's not the color but the fact they are there as well as the associated boarder that was needed for the insert.
Any person of minimal intelligence would know the color could be changed.
Look at it this way. Go to your car. I'm now putting the hinge bolts for the door on the outside vs the inside. The bolts are colored to match you car. Still looks worse than a smooth door, right?
Before you belittle people's concerns think about them more holistically and it will be clearer.

Would've been nice for Stern to change out the hardware to be black, but it's not as simple is just "use black screws". It probably would've added 4-6 line items to the BOM. Those parts need to be sourced, received, inventoried, itemized, accounted for in their ERP system, stored, and placed in their assembly line. Having been involved in the engineering side of a manufacturing environment, this stuff usually is more involved than it looks on the surface.

And let's face it, ACDC isn't in the top tier for artwork. The screws can be an eyesore if you focus on them, but so can the rest of the game. It's not a Bugatti, it's a Ford.

#177 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

1. Is the game software the exact same or are there minor differences to account for the changes

It would be awesome to get a SW update for AC/DC, maybe with a VE it finally gets done!

#178 6 years ago

How many of the people whining about the Premium Vault actually already own an AC/DC Premium?

Quoted from Allibaster:

And let's face it, ACDC isn't in the top tier for artwork. The screws can be an eyesore if you focus on them, but so can the rest of the game. It's not a Bugatti, it's a Ford.

Exactly. The whole package is gaudy to begin with, so what's one more gaudy detail?

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yes
The drums have been removed from the soundtrack

#180 6 years ago

That's funny.

#181 6 years ago

I have wanted a premium for a long time. Before the vault was announced I was never able to find a reasonably priced one locally... or anywhere for that matter. I’ve only been collecting for two years so I missed the first boat of them being reasonably priced.

I’m beyond stoked I’m able to get a NIB shipped to my door for much less than what used ones were/are going for.

Frankly I wish the entire band were silhouetted! Why stop at Phil?

Anyways, I’m buying this for the gameplay and terrific light show... certainly not the art haha. As long as it plays like the original I’m a happy camper. A couple screws and a black border around Hell are not going to bum me out.

#182 6 years ago

Any updates and pics from new VE owners?

#183 6 years ago

What would you like to see?
We have a AC/DC Premium Vault on the showroom floor?

#184 6 years ago

Some shots of it lit up would be great!

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Some shots of it lit up would be great!

Have you ordered one yet?

#186 6 years ago

I did, should have it next week!

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I did, should have it next week!

hmmm, I guess I would have went to the effort if you were buying from me .....but

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

hmmm, I guess I would have went to the effort if you were buying from me .....but

Nice

#189 6 years ago

just noticed that if you look really closely on Stern Pinball Arcade AC/DC premium the playfield changes from the vault edition are on there - interesting that no one has noticed it before - so I don't think that it is really that big a deal anymore...

#190 6 years ago

What would you like to see?
We have a AC/DC Premium Vault on the showroom floor?

Really?? Lame!!

#191 6 years ago

Cool

#192 6 years ago

More like HASSLE Castle, AMIRITE?

#193 6 years ago

You're the rip off artist who posts all the inflated price pins on eBay with the black and white checkered floor right? Figures you have no class.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You're the rip off artist who posts all the inflated price pins on eBay with the black and white checkered floor right? Figures you have no class.

Stole the words right from my fingers!

#195 6 years ago

Ass Castle no one's going to buy from you bro you just pulled a dick move and we will get pictures soon but no one in Pinside I will buy from you hahaha

#196 6 years ago

Mine shipped yesterday, hopefully see it mid next week.

#197 6 years ago

When I saw him post that I thought he must just be kidding and expected him to post the pictures in the next post. How do you run a business and be such an asshole on a place like pinside. People like that this forums doesnt need.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Busted !!!!!!

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Really not that big of a difference. Non modded games could be had for sub 7k before the VE talk and should still be able to be found now. The price for unmodded original and new VE is pretty close. With VE you get new though so that's nice if the changes don't bother you (and for some they wont).
Some people may have been asking over 7k for their unmodded games but I'm not seeing those really selling for that price.

I think you need to calm down then go buy some black screws.

The package was never that great to look at in the 1st place. And yeah it is pinside just having a whinge at something.

As soon as anyone buys this game turns it on and starts playing they won't give a shit.

For Those getting one enjoy.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I think you need to calm down then go buy some black screws.
The package was never that great to look at in the 1st place. And yeah it is pinside just having a whinge at something.
As soon as anyone buys this game turns it on and starts playing they won't give a shit.
For Those getting one enjoy.

I'll "calm down" if you pay attention to the reason for my post. Deal? I'll spell it out....

It was said (and what i quoted) the removable playfield was an "upgrade". It is not an UPGRADE. It looks worse and adds the risk of leveling problems to something that had zero issues with that. You can argue the looks but you can't argue the risk of level issues down the road.

I'm still happy people can buy the game NIB again as it's a great game. With the pro Stern made some good improvements. With the prem I'm of the opinion that they downgraded things. In addition to what was talked about they give you a shadow in the band, smaller sub, latch style bar (I prefer that but most like the old style better).

I just stated the obvious when the topic came up. Heck, "upgrade" is even in the title with a question mark. Thus a question so an answer was provided....

Oh, and to add, if you open it up and play the game and a slow ball catches an edge of that insert and drains I'm sure someone would "give a shit". Maybe you've never played games with massive removable inserts. If not perfectly level they DO impact game play.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 29.95
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, AR
There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-vault-upgrades/page/4?hl=knoler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.