B44449D2-D838-48F4-B87B-601BE5833BE7 (resized).png
7754B4CE-F6A6-4779-8A02-57DF8C18966F (resized).jpeg
8AAC433B-380A-47DD-AF7E-FB8F5740985C (resized).jpeg
4FC4428F-6FD9-4D59-ADF4-35976444071B (resized).jpeg
38F0A3F3-440F-4182-BB2D-109864DD283D (resized).jpeg
5FBB6F49-5B66-4004-9A71-F0E7FDC1417E (resized).png
1D6857EC-D7C1-4F42-BE0F-F1EE6E8FFC7B (resized).png
11 2017 b (resized).jpg
There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

So with the removable lower PF window, the steel ball wont get kincked on the torx screws

Ahh ...the ball is allways hitting metal in a punball machine.... plus im sure they counter sunk them into the window

#52 6 years ago

Never been an issue on Black Hole...

If they executed it correctly, it's a nice feature. Not a necessity, but a nice feature.

So folks are getting these VE for 6800-6900... the mods for this one add up quick. Easy to see VE's with mods hitting at they $8k range.

#53 6 years ago

ACDC was only ever a tribute band after bon scott died

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

So with the removable lower PF window, the steel ball wont get kincked on the torx screws

You don't think the heads of the screws will be recessed?

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They are.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Is it really? I very much prefer to integrated insert. I can't think of any time I played a Congo or CFTBL and thought it was great it was a removable insert as the ball caught an edge and moved. I've yet to see anyone have issues with their AC/DC insert excluding the early on cloudy windows as well so it's not like that is a problem.
An insert of that size not being built into the PF is not what I personally consider an improvement. I may be in the minority though as I seem to be more often than not these days on pinside.

It does have advantages where if it gets scratched or blemished, it can be easily replaced. But no seam of the original is also nice. If they had done it in the first place, cloudy windows would not have been such an issue. Maybe this is why Stern switched, to avoid any future problems if the window clouded or ghosted.

Rob

#57 6 years ago

On creesh and congo the lower PF screws in from the bottom with tabs I still think I would rather have a window that was designed like the new style on my LE though.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It does have advantages where if it gets scratched or blemished, it can be easily replaced. But no seam of the original is also nice. If they had done it in the first place, cloudy windows would not have been such an issue. Maybe this is why Stern switched, to avoid any future problems if the window clouded or ghosted.
Rob

I'm sure Stern knew exactly what the cloudy windows looked like on the LE's at the time they were produced.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Relise they are counter sunk, just the internal sharp edge of the Torx, 2nd thoughts no big deal really, carry on

#60 6 years ago

So there is a gap now... And no clear over it. So does that mean there is an 'edge' between the PF and the window?
So the ball rolling isn't totally smooth?

#61 6 years ago

You could always put dime size mylar dots over them

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

So there is a gap now... And no clear over it. So does that mean there is an 'edge' between the PF and the window?

Most likely you won't notice the edge

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It gets rid of a huge headache area... will certainly make cleaning easier!

Quoted from PtownPin:

I couldn't disagree more assuming of course its done correctly. Having the ability to clean or swap out with ease it a big plus in my book.

Have either of you owned or worked on an AC/DC prem/LE? It's a 5 min task at most to pull the full lower PF out of the game. You're not saving much time at all and with the removable insert you are incorporating an added risk of leveling issues in a game that's never had that problem before with the insert. Not to mention now you get to look at nearly a dozen screws in the middle of your PF. None of this is an "improvement" to me.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Their is not a gap now and the insert was cleared over.

#65 6 years ago

I suspect the new clear is the concern and they realize there is a high likelihood that the window would craze, chip and crack.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Have either of you owned or worked on an AC/DC prem/LE? It's a 5 min task at most to pull the full lower PF out of the game. You're not saving much time at all and with the removable insert you are incorporating an added risk of leveling issues in a game that's never had that problem before with the insert. Not to mention now you get to look at nearly a dozen screws in the middle of your PF. None of this is an "improvement" to me.

I own one. If given the choice (and the roll of the ball is the same across the surface), I'd rather spend 1 minute removing 9 screws on the top side with my electric screw driver, than lifting the hood and removing the playfield underneath. Over the years I've pulled the playfield out for cleaning or maintenance maybe 4 times... it's way easier to work on a flat surface, than one one that's angled upward.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I own one. If given the choice (and the roll of the ball is the same across the surface), I'd rather spend 1 minute removing 9 screws on the top side with my electric screw driver, than lifting the hood and removing the playfield underneath. Over the years I've pulled the playfield out for cleaning or maintenance maybe 4 times... it's way easier to work on a flat surface, than one one that's angled upward.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. You admit to taking it out only 4 times over the "Years" of ownership. I've taken mine out a dozen or so times of my 4 or so years of ownership. So that is consistent to show its a a fairly rare circumstance the mini PF needs service. Knowing the amount of times it needs to be done I'd rather spend a couple extra mins so that I have a clean and smooth insert vs a bunch of screws looking me in the face and the risk of an edge being created impacting game play.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Yep....I respect your opinion, but I don't agree that its a 5 minute job. Have you removed the lower play field? if so why did you have remove it? until we see the actual unit its hard to comment on the actual aesthetics.

#69 6 years ago

I've owned Black Hole for over 2 years... never once had an issue with that playfield window, edges, or screws.

Truthfully, I'd probably clean the mini-playfield area more if it was slightly easier to access. Not down on the version of the game I own... to the contrary... I actually would rather have the original line run with the game's original l backbox design, larger woofer, etc.

#70 6 years ago

I had an original premium for quite a while - one target would always rotate and I would have to open it up to straighten it up so it would work again. That was a PITA - so I think the new removable window would be awesome. Plus the new targets they use don't do that anymore so +2

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Yep....I respect your opinion, but I don't agree that its a 5 minute job. Have you removed the lower play field? if so why did you have remove it? until we see the actual unit its hard to comment on the actual aesthetics.

The lower playfield is really easy to remove. A few screws and some plugs. I took mine out to replace the rubbers with silicone, put in leds, and wax it.

#72 6 years ago

I had to remove mine a number of times to clean off the static dust that accumulated on the bottom of the window. Also removed it to install frosted red bulbs, and new super bands on the flippers. It came off very easy, but I am more than thrilled that I can get a new machine since I sold it awhile ago.

#73 6 years ago

Gotcha....there surely was some design decision to make it removable from the top? otherwise why would they add the additional cost of re engineering the lower play field? who knows if it makes sense or not, but on the surface it seems like a good idea.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Gotcha....there surely was some design decision to make it removable from the top? otherwise why would they add the additional cost of re engineering the lower play field? who knows if it makes sense or not, but on the surface it seems like a good idea.

I think DCFAN nailed it. They are probably concerned with ghosting issues with their new process. Outside of that I don't see the reason either. It's a simple and quick process to remove the lower PF.

#75 6 years ago

My biggest concern is/would be that Stern will somehow find a way to implement it improperly. Or that poor QC will lead to some installed properly and others installed improperly. If the window is too low, there will be chipping on the edges... with the way clear seems to chip around the shooter and drain on Stern games over the last, what, 2+ years, that's not a problem I'd want to deal with in the middle of a playfield.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

My heaaaaarrrrrt is on fiiiiire... for Elvira!
I'm gonna buy that if its like my Aerosmith (decent launch code, glossy PF, magnificent art, cool features @ Pro pricing & an LCD).
Same for Pulp Fiction.
I dont think I can accept DMD games moving FW. But, maybe ACDCve Premium will surprise me?

The Oak Ridge Boys pin!

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from phantasmo:

ACDC was only ever a tribute band after bon scott died

Yes..just because they were more successful with Brian Johnson doesn't mean they were better.. theBon days ruled!

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

My biggest concern is/would be that Stern will somehow find a way to implement it improperly. Or that poor QC will lead to some installed properly and others installed improperly. If the window is too low, there will be chipping on the edges... with the way clear seems to chip around the shooter and drain on Stern games over the last, what, 2+ years, that's not a problem I'd want to deal with in the middle of a playfield.

If you have QC issues, then don't buy the VE.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

If you have QC issues, then don't buy the VE.

I already own a premium... so not buying... hence "concern is/would be"

#81 6 years ago

It these are on the line, I am surprised Stern hasn't posted anything on their facebook. They need to promote the VE better than they have. Even a minor code update to tweak/fix a few things would get people excited for the title again.

Rob

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It these are on the line, I am surprised Stern hasn't posted anything on their facebook. They need to promote the VE better than they have. Even a minor code update to tweak/fix a few things would get people excited for the title again.
Rob

Thats because they're not on the line yet.

#83 6 years ago

I'm sure its somewhere on pinside, but just wondering when the ACDC Vault premiums hit the market?

#84 6 years ago

I was told a little under a week ago that they should be ready to go in 7-14 days, but my distro added he'd never bet on that. But definitely out the door sometime in September for the first batch.

My Helen translite, color DMD, interactive bolts, red metal apron, and train topper are anxiously waiting!

#85 6 years ago

Thanks Gorilla...I'm very close to just biting the bullet and ordering a new premium...was looking for an HUO LE, but not easy to find...

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMagnet:

Thats because they're not on the line yet.

Yes they are.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

It is an easy job, but i still would prefer the option to replace it. There is a reason they did it.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from rkelley17:

My distributor called Stern...lollipops are still included!!!

However, I would check both sides

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

It's easy. It has slot brackets and all wires are on connectors. It's like 4 screws to remove. I've removed it to adjust the stand up targets that like to get pinched. It comes out as an entire assembly.

Removable playfield windows have been done many times over... we know that it will be.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Gotcha....there surely was some design decision to make it removable from the top?

Easier playfield to create and get better yields.

#91 6 years ago

I can't help wonder what the quality of the playfield will be, hopefully it is like my Aerosmith, not like SW.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I can't help wonder what the quality of the playfield will be, hopefully it is like my Aerosmith, not like SW.

I know what you mean. I feel like I'm rolling dice with $7k on the line.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes they are.

No they're not. Show me one website that has them listed. They all say "in production soon".

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMagnet:

No they're not. Show me one website that has them listed. They all say "in production soon".

Yes they are. I trust my source.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMagnet:

Quoted from smassa:

Yes they are. I trust my source.

Um, I'd go with Smassa's source on this one, lol.

#96 6 years ago

Yep..... From what I hear thats spot on. I also heard that sales on the last two titles were terrible.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Yep..... From what I hear thats spot on. I also heard that sales on the last two titles were terrible.

Ghosting, incomplete code & less than stellar theme implementation may be to blame.

I bought Aerosmith but they'd sell more if code had that "wow" factor I'm sure. Its a beautiful game & plays well.

Star Wars.... damn, zizzle BOM & cut/paste artwork, handdrawn or not, had to hurt.

Factor in Sterns lack of communication & public distrust of code & QC.

Well, I suspect ACDC wont sell as well as they hope too. It's a very expensive game & Stern has lost some trust.

I'm likely to go with AFMr in a few weeks/months when the classics are available. Unless Stern sweetens up my Aerosmith code & rolls out a great non dilluted Pro title with solid release code & nice art/theme.

I'm fine with either outcome. Either way I get something cool. Having options means I dont have to settle.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I also heard that sales on the last two titles were terrible.

Now is the winter of our discontent.

- Richard III as written by Shakespeare

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

So the last two would be AS and BM66??? Or are we talking SW?

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I was quoted $6900 shipped, sounds pretty good to me! Can anybody beat?

damn, pretty good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (Firm)
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 510 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-vault-upgrades/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.