(Topic ID: 49984)

AC/DC Premium Software - Cannon Ball save?! FRUSTRATING!

By hassellcastle

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you feel that AC/DC should have an "0ptional" ball save timer added to the software for auto fired cannon shots?”

• Yes it should! Since I have no control as to where the cannon auto fires. 29 votes
    60%
  • No, the software is fine auto launching the ball into the T N T targets 19 votes
    40%

(48 votes)

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

Only one way to get to be a better player.

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Hitting a cannon target correctly is HUGE points. Can be 30+ million easily. THere should be a risk of a drain going for that.

The only reason it would be huge is because you played well and earned that jackpot score. You should never be penalized with a ball drain for then collecting the desired shot. The risk factor should only be in missing the target. It seems there are two camps on this point. I don't see why it can't be a game option that we could enable if we wanted it. Clearly some of us do.

#53 10 years ago

You get penalized for hitting the bell. In TZ you get penalized for hitting the Greed targets. Many games are setup to screw you if you go for high point type shots. It's the way they are designed. The bell giving 2x playfield, should be risky to go for.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You get penalized for hitting the bell. In TZ you get penalized for hitting the Greed targets. Many games are setup to screw you if you go for high point type shots. It's the way they are designed. The bell giving 2x playfield, should be risky to go for.

Agreed. An the bell is risky enough. But in TZ you don't get screwed for going for and successfully making say super jackpot.

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

The fun of AC/DC IS that you can play it a million different ways

FIXED it for ya

#56 10 years ago

but you can get screwed for making a nice skill shot and thrown to the bumper pit. Not much different than going for a big score saucer on AFM. Saucers are dangerous. Castle doors are dangerous. Huge points, is it worth it? That's the joy of not knowing.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

The only reason it would be huge is because you played well and earned that jackpot score. You should never be penalized with a ball drain for then collecting the desired shot. The risk factor should only be in missing the target. It seems there are two camps on this point. I don't see why it can't be a game option that we could enable if we wanted it. Clearly some of us do.

Once again is this not the same as slamming a ball into the castle gate on MM or the mother ship on AFM? Does your game drain EVERYTIME you shoot the drops from the cannon? I seriously doubt it. Keep on ignoring my comparison cause you know it basically leaves your complaint In shambles.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but you can get screwed for making a nice skill shot and thrown to the bumper pit. Not much different than going for a big score saucer on AFM. Saucers are dangerous. Castle doors are dangerous. Huge points, is it worth it? That's the joy of not knowing.

I've been trying to explain this for a while. Maybe some people would be happier of with rubber bands across the outlanes.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

It seems there are two camps on this point. I don't see why it can't be a game option that we could enable if we wanted it.

Because Lyman is firmly rooted in the player's camp. He has a 3 story tent there (with basement) and a pool out back. Been there for years.

Someone should ask him at a show this summer. I think he would say that it might detract from the risk/reward factor that makes it the great game it is.

Quoted from markmon:

But in TZ you don't get screwed for going for and successfully making say super jackpot.

I think AC/DC is a better game than TZ.

#60 10 years ago

Isn't that what makes pinball fun? Some risk? I've said it before... games have spinning discs, magnets, pop bumbers, etc. If you dont like those kinds of designed randomizers, there are plenty of other games out there.

I don't want every shot to be returned safely to the flipper. I love the risk/reward of the shots in this game.

#61 10 years ago

I gotta agree with everyone that thinks the cannon auto-firing and draining down the left outlane is total bulls**t. In my opinion, it is the only flaw in an otherwise perfect game. Lyman really needs to address this at some point.

#62 10 years ago

I dont seem to have that problem. Yes, the canon auto-fires but have yet to have that result in a drain. Doh....I am so going to regret saying that.

#63 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Once again is this not the same as slamming a ball into the castle gate on MM or the mother ship on AFM?

Seems more like an autoflip in TAF, only instead of going where it's supposed to, Thing autoflips it straight down the outlane...awesome :/

#64 10 years ago
Quoted from Nibbles:

Seems more like an autoflip in TAF, only instead of going where it's supposed to, Thing autoflips it straight down the outlane...awesome :/

Seems like most want a ball saver for shots fired at the drops for song jackpot or whatever smaller jackpot. I know the auto fire drain sucks but like I said before dont shoot H2H if the cannon isn't lit for a controlled cannon shot. Seems simple enough

#65 10 years ago

Without auto fire cannon ball saver is utter BS!

I played a couple of games for the heck of it before going to work.
I intentionally played "Highway to Hell".

Between two games. 3 balls were lost due to the F***in' auto fire cannon launching the ball into the right "T"target of TNT and immediately into the left outlane for a drain. Heck I even tried to anticipate it and nudge the cabinet to stop it from draining without success.

To tell me that the rules were designed so that I don't play that song unless something else is lit on the cannon I feel is a cop out. I can't honestly think that Steve and Lyman want the cannon to do this. There is no skill, or error on my part. It just launches the ball into the left out lane. F*** THAT!

I think it's crap. Heck I left pissed off after playing the gamse and it just further goes to prove. I don't want to ever play that song as I know the penalty that will result in it. Is this actually what Steve was thinking? I dare to think not.

For those that don't think it should be added.
Really? That's why I made the comment "optional". If you don't want it. Turn it off in your adjustment settings.

End of rant....

#66 10 years ago

A gripe I have with my premium is that ALL ball ejects from the ejector behind the bell go SDTM if the bell is up when ejected. Always. Is this the same on everybody's premium?

#67 10 years ago

I would sell the game if it ruins your day !

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Ridiculous.

I was playing my AFM last night. I was thinking that according to Mark, every time I hit the 3 bank target or the saucer, there should be a ball saver started. After all, those are made shots, and you should "never be penalized with a ball drain for collecting the desired shot".

#69 10 years ago

Pinball 101: (something like $3 on ios)

http://www.pinballvideo.com/p101.htm

Adjusting your machine:

http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_adjust_pinball.html

Slap Save:

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I would sell the game if it ruins your day !

Come on, Jim. Don't be like that. I know you're one of the most ardent supporters of the game, but anyone can plainly see that this is a design flaw. There is no way Lyman or Steve planned on having the ball drain down the outlane such a high percentage of the time when coming from the cannon. Some say it's a risk/reward thing, but I say that's BS. The bell shot, yes. The song jackpot shot, absolutely. But not when the cannon is firing the ball on its own. It's just bad programming, plain and simple. That being said, I don't necessarily blame Lyman. It's clear that this isn't a problem on some people's games, so I can only assume it isn't a problem on the game Lyman uses to test his programming.

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Come on, Jim. Don't be like that. I know you're one of the most ardent supporters of the game, but anyone can plainly see that this is a design flaw. There is no way Lyman or Steve planned on having the ball drain down the outlane such a high percentage of the time when coming from the cannon. Some say it's a risk/reward thing, but I say that's BS. The bell shot, yes. The song jackpot shot, absolutely. But not when the cannon is firing the ball on its own. It's just bad programming, plain and simple. That being said, I don't necessarily blame Lyman. It's clear that this isn't a problem on some people's games, so I can only assume it isn't a problem on the game Lyman uses to test his programming.

I agree with what you say ,I do ! I play my game to satisfy my pinball playing desires . I don't think I have played HTH in the last 1000 games played or TNT .

Remember when Steve said you can play the area of the pin you like? Well, that is what I do and I play the shit out of Hells Bells and go for big jackpots in multiball and song jackpot. I don't even care about encore at all.. Someday I may want to play the game to the end, but as for now I enjoy playing AC/DC the way that makes me happy !

PLAY BETTER

#72 10 years ago

That's what Steve would say!

I don't see it as a big deal. I just envision the same people that are complaining about this screaming at the chair they just stubbed their toe on.

I only have mine drain maybe 10% of the time. I'd check to make sure your games are level. If you're still getting it to drain, nudge the ball as it is fired, as it hits the targets, or as it heads towards the outlane. Has anyone ever had a magnet from TAF fire a ball straight to the outlane? One of those whirlwind spinners toss your ball to the outlane?

I can see this getting corrected in future code, so I don't think there's a point to get so bent out of shape at this point. I just hope that they don't cater to the masses on everything, or at least make things like ball savers on the song jackpot adjustable.. It's a great game, spend that complaining time practicing!

#73 10 years ago

I would say this:

a) definitely need ball saver for auto cannon. Anytime a shot occurs without you having any control, it's dumb. Honestly, what really needs to be done is that there never should be an autofire shot, it should just make up something for you to hit.

b) on a made song jackpot shot, there should be a ball saver, at least on the outlanes. Not on the other ones (combo, target, for those about to rock, etc) but hitting a big jackpot shouldn't penalize the player.

#74 10 years ago

Unless I'm playing tournament, I have been starting with TNT and HTH/HAABPTB to get them out of the way, lol. I'm trying to get Encore and failing miserably. I don't want to start working on my writeup/strats until I have gotten to it the first time.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

a) definitely need ball saver for auto cannon. Anytime a shot occurs without you having any control, it's dumb. Honestly, what really needs to be done is that there never should be an autofire shot, it should just make up something for you to hit.

Id rather see them change the timing of where they auto shoot the cannon.....maybe towards the left loop so its more or a controlled shot. Or like others suggested give control of the cannon to the player.

Quoted from taylor34:

b) on a made song jackpot shot, there should be a ball saver, at least on the outlanes. Not on the other ones (combo, target, for those about to rock, etc) but hitting a big jackpot shouldn't penalize the player.

Couldnt disagree more.....takes all the risk out of a risk reward shot. Ive had it happen to me less then 10 times since ive owned the game. Maybe you should try adjusting the setup of your pin.

For all those who insist on taking the risk out of the game & there is always standard adjustment #51.....Coin Door Ball save.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Id rather see them change the timing of where they auto shoot the cannon.....maybe towards the left loop so its more or a controlled shot. Or like others suggested give control of the cannon to the player.

EXACTLY.
Honestly I'm fine without the ball saver on a player controlled cannon shot. That is my fault if I drain and can't save it. This is part of the risk/reward factor of the game...I get that.

My bitch is with the auto fire cannon. That is completely out of my control and is an unrealistic drain monster.

Two options to remedy this:
- Make it an adjustable option in game adjustments - 3 sec auto fire cannon ball save ON/OFF
- Tweak the game code so the timer to when it launches so it launches maybe towards the left spinner. Obviously the auto fire setting in the programming is time based. Add a second or two on it and see where it throws the ball.

My .02

#77 10 years ago

Anyone know how to adjust the height of the cannon (since nobody will reply to my tech threads lol..)? Mine is sitting pretty low, and ball hanging on it. Just PM me if ya know. Thanks.

#78 10 years ago

Maybe this has been mentioned, but couldn't the code just be tweaked so the auto cannon fire happens a little earlier or a little later, thus eliminating the drain and need for a ball saver?

P.S. I don't own an AC/DC, so I don't really have much knowledge of this issue...so don't flame me if this is not a good idea .

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Maybe this has been mentioned, but couldn't the code just be tweaked so the auto cannon fire happens a little earlier or a little later, thus eliminating the drain and need for a ball saver?

Yes, I think that is likely to happen in a future update.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I would say this:

I'm fine with your suggestion in "a", but disagree strongly with your "b".

#81 10 years ago

Been thinking about this. I am firmly against a "ball saver", but wouldn't be opposed to the player being allowed to use a backstage pass after an auto fire that triggers a timed save if necessary. This way at least you are giving something up for the save.

As far as any kind of save when hitting the drops targets or any other shot from the cannon you control..No Way! You are taking the risk on your own and should learn the angles and shots coming off the cannon. I rarely get deflections off cannon shots and if I think the shot is risky, I choose when to take it.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

I think it's crap. Heck I left pissed off after playing the gamse and it just further goes to prove.

Well that sucks. Forgive me if you already mentioned it, but have you tried making adjustments? Pitch, level, outlane post, cannon, cannon switches, wax, etc? It may be as simple as moving the outlane post or leaning it to one side or the other slightly. If you haven't tried those things, you really should. Most folks are happy with their game. With a few adjustments, I bet you will be too.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Well that sucks. Forgive me if you already mentioned it, but have you tried making adjustments? Pitch, level, outlane post, cannon, cannon switches, wax, etc? It may be as simple as moving the outlane post or leaning it to one side or the other slightly. If you haven't tried those things, you really should. Most folks are happy with their game. With a few adjustments, I bet you will be too.

Gotta agree. You should not have that same result without something being off. I will say this, the game does seem to break itself in after awhile. Don't play Highway To Hell exclusively for awhile and revisit it from time to time. Definitely check your levels and pitch and just keep playing it. Your frustration will subside.

#84 10 years ago

FWIW, I've seen the autofire on my own game a few times now. I know for SURE my game is NOT level side to side. I get plenty of STDM off the ramp when I biff the shot, and off the bell and pops exits a LOT. I also do *not* get the auto-drain from the cannon autofire into the TNT targets. It gets close, but will usually bounce out or go down the left INLANE.

I haven't decided how I'm going to fix it yet. Unlevel the game is extremely frustrating at times, but I don't want to deal with the cannon-crapshot either, so screwed either way it would seem, lol.

#85 10 years ago

My game is level side to side, and I think the pitch is about 6.8 or so. What sort of pitch do people have that are having issues?

#86 10 years ago

I wouldn't mind if they gave an option to allow for a ball saver after a canon shot, but I personally would leave it turned off anyway.

I like that AC/DC is brutal. It should be. The game is fast, and crazy, but if you're dialed in and chaining together good shots, you can have a great ball. I will admit that the game is pushing my wife around quite a bit, but she's going to be a better pinball player once she gets her instincts sharpened and learns to nudge, slap, and shake as needed. Just last night she was already improving on her saves, only after about an hour of play.

Every game has a missed shot or eject that is super dangerous. It should be that way. The game should always keep you on your toes.

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I've been trying to explain this for a while. Maybe some people would be happier of with rubber bands across the outlanes.

I, in fact, do this on my TSPP. Some of its elements, like Alien Invasion, are simply not doable without it (and aren't so easy even with it).

#88 10 years ago

I agree on the auto cannon should have ball save or not fire into the worse spot in the game, but not on the Jackpot shots. I nudge to the right just as the ball hits the targets and rarely have a drain.
That being said, I rarely have it auto fire in single ball mode so its not a big issue to me.
What I hate is when the center target does not go down when you hit it. THAT is frustrating to no end.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
16,500 (Firm)
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 29.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 12.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-software-cannon-ball-save-frustrating/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.