Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ForUpload_20140312_230844.jpg
photo.JPG
20140311_225523.jpg
20140311_225537.jpg

#1 10 years ago

so in the AC/DC lower playfield there are 3 targets (above the 2 eyes and nose). These have never been quite right for me. They tend to lean to the left or right of centre and then if they get too far out of centre they don't register contact from the ball anymore (in the pics attached the right most target is off centre and has stopped recording hits).

My problem is I can't work out how to fix them. Initially i tried just tightening the screws that hold the "sandwich" of boards and plates together with everything still attached to the playfield. But this is very tricky. So recently I've been removing the whole L-shaped bracket that holds the targets from the playfield and then tightening the two screws that hold everything onto the bracket. But even that doesn't seem to be working - they seem to start leaning again almost straight away.

Am i missing something obvious? anyone else had this problem? any help gratefully received

20140311_225523.jpg20140311_225523.jpg 20140311_225537.jpg20140311_225537.jpg
#2 10 years ago

I take a vice grips to hold the main bracket while I crank down as hard as I can with my Klein nut driver, holds pretty well but eventually will start to slide out of place a little again. Most targets like this have this issue, fairly normal.

#3 10 years ago

so you just have it to tighten it more than i already am? Damn! I was already a bit worried about over-doing it but will attack them with confidence thanks centerflank!

#4 10 years ago

i don't suppose anyone knows the bolt size or even if stern use imperial or metric bolts? my nut driver is metric and I'm wondering if i should get an imperial set if I'm going to be tightening them that hard...

#5 10 years ago

I believe its the 1/4th driver.....

#6 10 years ago

I have the same thing happening too . I try and drop the targets down and tighten the screws . Anyone have a good fix ?

#7 10 years ago

I've got the same problem but no solution.

#8 10 years ago

If you dont have a set of Klein magnetics, Id recommend ordering the whole kit. I love mine and use a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-647M-Magnetic-Driver/dp/B000MKIUYQ

#9 10 years ago

Just need periodic maintenance.

#10 10 years ago

ordered them centreflank - should arrive by friday in time for me to get it all sorted for a friday night session with a mate! thanks

#11 10 years ago

Sometimes I use superglue to glue the layers together. Just did this on AC/DC and it's holding fine. Also works on TRON (the target just to the left of Quorra).

#12 10 years ago

I know a few people with this machine and the ones that kept experiencing this issue simply took the rubber off the posts where the target was leaning. Once they did this, the problem went away (because no matter how tight they tightened the targets, they would still eventually lean again.)

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#13 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I know a few people with this machine and the ones that kept experiencing this issue simply took the rubber off the posts where the target was leaning. Once they did this, the problem went away (because no matter how tight they tightened the targets, they would still eventually lean again.)

That solution works for me…. Here is what I did. (crappy iPhone pic)
I also replaced the two in the front with Cliffy post sleeves.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG
#14 10 years ago
Quoted from mot:

I've got the same problem but no solution.

Very frustrating!!

#15 10 years ago

what could work ( i didnt try it for myself, for i still have warranty on my machine ) is to use J.B. Weld to fix the blades, so they cant move anymore to the sides .

Will check this with an old Target these days .

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I know a few people with this machine and the ones that kept experiencing this issue simply took the rubber off the posts where the target was leaning.

Quoted from dug:

That solution works for me….

So, can i double check - you guys are removing the rubber highlighted in this pic? No doubt I'm missing something obvious - but I don't understand how this would improve things - wouldn't it give the target more space in which to lean off-centre? Or does it change the way the ball hits the target in some way?

ForUpload_20140312_230844.jpgForUpload_20140312_230844.jpg
#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dmj1977:

So, can i double check - you guys are removing the rubber highlighted in this pic? No doubt I'm missing something obvious - but I don't understand how this would improve things - wouldn't it give the target more space in which to lean off-centre? Or does it change the way the ball hits the target in some way?

Yep, that's the one to remove. The target slides in front of the rubber, and when the target is hit by the ball the rubber prevents the target from moving enough to register a switch hit. Remove that rubber, and you won't have any problems with those targets anymore, even if they still lean to the side.

#18 10 years ago

ahhhhhhh got it - thanks! i knew it would be obvious and I still couldn't for the life of me work it out

#19 10 years ago

Great info in this thread. Thanks!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Same here . Removed rubber posts.

4 months later
#21 9 years ago

What a pain in the arszzzzzz.... I reset them for the third time today!

#22 9 years ago

I noticed that the rubber rings on the two center posts have lifted up too, mine does the same thing and it's very frustrating as I'd think the ball hitting a metal post directly is not good for the posts or the ball

I haven't done anything to it yet, but would like to adjust them. Anyone found a solution to this yet? How easy is it to get access to those (haven't removed the lower PF yet myself)?

Thanks,
-K

1 year later
#23 8 years ago

I picked up an acdc recently and have these same problems. I've straightened out the targets several times, but the problem keeps coming back. Looks like the solution a year ago was to just take the problem rubbers off. Before I do that, just wanted to see if there were any other fixes?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-problem-with-lower-playfield-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.