(Topic ID: 42997)

AC/DC Premium Owners: Do you have cracks in your window?

By flashburn

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DirtyDeeds
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acdclack2.jpg
acdclack1.jpg
DSCF2572[1].JPG
29C9C24E-DFD1-4B7F-AECE-0383269195A1[1.jpg
DSCF2572[1].JPG
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It was a design decision for Stern.
They could have made a window like Black Hole, Sexy girl or Genesis that needs to be continually and precisely adjusted to avoid air balls, or they could have made it an insert that is level with clear coat.
If they would have made it a replaceable window, people would be complaining that the screw heads were scratching their balls, they were getting air balls, or that the rubber O-rings were changing with the humidity.

Exactly. It is perfectly smooth the way Stern did it and I sure like it, minor stress marks or not. Seems a lot of folks care more about how the games look than play.

#52 11 years ago

Mine isn't perfectly smooth either! lol. I can feel the edge where it's painted black, especially on the bottom of the playfield. I'm guessing many are like that, but most won't notice until they go to wax it. I'm sure that is going to chip off/wear in the next few years, but I've already come to accept that.

#53 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Mine isn't perfectly smooth either! lol. I can feel the edge where it's painted black, especially on the bottom of the playfield. I'm guessing many are like that, but most won't notice until they go to wax it. I'm sure that is going to chip off/wear in the next few years, but I've already come to accept that.

Yeah, well, that's Stern clearcoat for you...

I can feel every insert and paint line on my Tron Pro. =P Will have to have it redone at some point, or pick up another PF and have it done.

#54 11 years ago

Luckily the game is the best game I've ever played, so while I'm playing, none of this shit matters.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

none of this shit matters.

LOL, coulda fooled me! I hope you can sleep tonight...

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

LOL, coulda fooled me! I hope you can sleep tonight...

What else am I going to do about it? Everyone tells me I should just live with it, and that's the way it is. No sense in getting an ulcer from it.

I was hoping a bunch of owners would chime in that their's didn't have this issue, and that would give me some weight with Stern, but other than 2-3 comments, that isn't the case.

#57 11 years ago

My opinion...take it for what it is worth...

Back in the day ALL arcade games were built for the Operators where the main goal was for them to be fun and make money. Dings, dents, and imperfections from the factory were acceptable as most (probably all) players did not care or notice them. In short time the games got their own bruises from the public....battle scars. By the time the game became too beat up it would lose it's money making abilities (players lost interest) and be pushed to the back of the warehouse. The operator did not want to pay for a perfect piece of furniture or art...they wanted cheap, fun somewhat reliable games that made money..period.

Now fast forward...where the problem develops. The Pinheads grew up and have interest in owning games in their homes...so Stern supplied their needs. Unfortunately Stern is stuck in the "Operator" mentality of making the game just good enough for a route. They are not geared to meet the high expectations of the home buyers. At first this high expectation was the fault of the home buyers because the price of the pins ($4.5K ish) was still in the Operator quality level. But now Stern is to blame because they raised their prices to $7K ish without raising their quality to a home buyer level.

I cannot think of a reason pins jumped $2-3K in the past few years without raising the quality bar. So now I agree with the OP that this is not acceptable....nor should a new buyer have to do much of anything to get their NIB pin working. Now down the line...sure, repairs and maintenance should be expected. And I do agree that if you own a pin, you should know your way around it (at least basic diagnostic stuff).

We do that with cars...while it is under warranty we let the dealer fix the small and large problems....but after the warranty we do more and more to save money and time. Or we choose not to fix that door ding because we don't feel the cost to repair justifies the fix....but if my new car came with a door ding you bet I would not accept it. Hope this makes sense.

Anyway...just my thoughts.

G

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

What else am I going to do about it? Everyone tells me I should just live with it, and that's the way it is. No sense in getting an ulcer from it.

I agree but I keep seeing you post more complaints... you seem to be in such pain!

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I agree but I keep seeing you post more complaints... you seem to be in such pain!

Give me a fucking break. Yeah, we should just be happy to get any pinball at all, just suck it up.

#60 11 years ago

A piece of plastic is always going to move at a different rate than a sheet of plywood.

Clear coat your playfield, let it shrink back over a month, clear it again, sand it perfectly flat, then give it a final clear, polish it out to a mirror finish.

6 months latter after a dry winter, feel all your insert edges again.

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Give me a fucking break. Yeah, we should just be happy to get any pinball at all, just suck it up.

Ok, maybe pain and anger! Breath with me... in ... and... out... in ... and... out...

#62 11 years ago

Hurray for the ignore feature.

#63 11 years ago

Good explanation vid. I didn't know this but it makes sense. So is it possible for the clearcoat to fully cure and it be perfect or is it expected to have some flaw down the line because of temp changed? I posted a pic on another thread of mine showing an insert on JD that looks like it has 100 hairline cracks in it and I'm still unsure wether this is the clearcoat or the insert and if I should worry or not?

Here's the link with a pic

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/a-few-little-issues-maybe-you-can-help-me-sort-out

#64 11 years ago

Those are not even cracks, just the sanding marks that are normal in the insert faces (they always follow the length of the playfield).

Playfields were sanded after the inserts were installed, to make a single flat surface.

They are hard to see in jeweled inserts, but can often be seen in the clear ones.

Nothing to worry about.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

CFTBL window isn't a permanent part of the playfield.

Even so, my 20 year old one still looks better than what I see here.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from gsrogers:

My opinion...take it for what it is worth...
Back in the day ALL arcade games were built for the Operators where the main goal was for them to be fun and make money. Dings, dents, and imperfections from the factory were acceptable as most (probably all) players did not care or notice them. In short time the games got their own bruises from the public....battle scars. By the time the game became too beat up it would lose it's money making abilities (players lost interest) and be pushed to the back of the warehouse. The operator did not want to pay for a perfect piece of furniture or art...they wanted cheap, fun somewhat reliable games that made money..period.
Now fast forward...where the problem develops. The Pinheads grew up and have interest in owning games in their homes...so Stern supplied their needs. Unfortunately Stern is stuck in the "Operator" mentality of making the game just good enough for a route. They are not geared to meet the high expectations of the home buyers. At first this high expectation was the fault of the home buyers because the price of the pins ($4.5K ish) was still in the Operator quality level. But now Stern is to blame because they raised their prices to $7K ish without raising their quality to a home buyer level.
I cannot think of a reason pins jumped $2-3K in the past few years without raising the quality bar. So now I agree with the OP that this is not acceptable....nor should a new buyer have to do much of anything to get their NIB pin working. Now down the line...sure, repairs and maintenance should be expected. And I do agree that if you own a pin, you should know your way around it (at least basic diagnostic stuff).
We do that with cars...while it is under warranty we let the dealer fix the small and large problems....but after the warranty we do more and more to save money and time. Or we choose not to fix that door ding because we don't feel the cost to repair justifies the fix....but if my new car came with a door ding you bet I would not accept it. Hope this makes sense.
Anyway...just my thoughts.
G

+1

Mine has the same issue maybe a little worse. I had a separate post on it. Stern is suppose to replace mine when the next batch is produced.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

+1
Mine has the same issue maybe a little worse. I had a separate post on it. Stern is suppose to replace mine when the next batch is produced.

Yours is the one I was specifically told was not replaced for the cracks, but the spotting on the window. Is that not true? It was the distributor that told me this.

#68 11 years ago

Was not specifically told why they are replacing. I shared pics of both issues to them. They responded saying they would replace. I didn't ask questions.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

Was not specifically told why they are replacing. I shared pics of both issues to them. They responded saying they would replace. I didn't ask questions.

Okay. I'm guessing it was more of a combination of the issues that was the deciding factor.

4 months later
#70 10 years ago

Just found this threat and just want do raise my hand.

Yes, there are also small cracks in the upper left corner of the the window of my ACDC Pinball.
I don´t know wether they are right from the beginning, for i recognized them the first time after around 40 plays.

the cracks could be easily seen, if the lower playfield is illuminated.
Now, knewing that they are there, i m always looking to them instead of concentrating at the balls.

acdclack1.jpgacdclack1.jpg acdclack2.jpgacdclack2.jpg

#71 10 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

just want do raise my hand

don't look at the cracks, concentrating at the balls

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

16,500 (Firm)
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-owners-do-you-have-cracks-in-your-window/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.