(Topic ID: 42997)

AC/DC Premium Owners: Do you have cracks in your window?

By flashburn

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DirtyDeeds
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

acdclack2.jpg
acdclack1.jpg
DSCF2572[1].JPG
29C9C24E-DFD1-4B7F-AECE-0383269195A1[1.jpg
DSCF2572[1].JPG
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Hey guys,

I got my AC/DC about a month ago. Since then I've talked with both my distributer and Pat @ Stern. Pat tells me the issues I'm seeing with my playfield window are normal and to be expected, and my distributor tells me that my window is "one of the best he's seen".

I've personally seen three other AC/DC Premiums in person, and I've never seen any of these sorts of "stress cracks" in the window before. I know at least one other person had his playfield replaced that had this issue, but I was told by the distributor that it was not replaced because of those cracks.

So, I'm wondering, am I just nitpicking, and this sort of issue is common? Or do I have a honest gripe? I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't for the fact of how expensive these machines are, and that I've seen ones that don't have this problem.

Who here owns an AC/DC Premium and does/doesn't have this issue?

The pics don't make it look as visible as it is in person, but they at least give an idea of what it looks like...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rMDLwOpKzq0/URv7T_EhONI/AAAAAAAABuM/EfjcOQYSu3g/s1300/DSCF2572.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-m32sG2Z22PE/URv7TcR5xeI/AAAAAAAABuA/Z0pftT5Sfok/s1300/DSCF2573.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BOjJvaj6aW0/UT0KK1iDATI/AAAAAAAACUU/cVRrymUVHTI/s1300/29C9C24E-DFD1-4B7F-AECE-0383269195A1.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KZHuk-JKk60/USz8Hd-W5PI/AAAAAAAACC0/PQrk6e-EXzs/s1300/9A9F90F4-E338-4D75-9F3E-79D98CC34E17.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yhnee6nX_OY/USz8JDTXfQI/AAAAAAAACDA/D-MdXCT0WP0/s1300/7037E176-3692-4A6F-A86A-5FB60C073EA4.JPG

Other horn that looks perfect:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6nGK4YjTkGE/USzHpvmUI/AAAAAAAACDY/uqm78Es3Srs/s1300/8E29557A-0514-4A1F-A019-2DF1A0B69B9A.JPG

DSCF2572[1].JPGDSCF2572[1].JPG 29C9C24E-DFD1-4B7F-AECE-0383269195A1[1.jpg29C9C24E-DFD1-4B7F-AECE-0383269195A1[1.jpg DSCF2572[1].JPGDSCF2572[1].JPG

#2 11 years ago

Considering its a solid piece of plastic (assuming pet-g) I would not consider it normal. It is a pinball machine and it will get beat over time but it would bother me too being new. I'm betting it was a bit to tight and expansion caused it maybe when the humidity change and the wood expanded. Who did you buy it from? I would think they would be able to help more.

Just one reason there why I'm having a hard time going prem over pro. I don't want to have to deal with window issues but the pros of the prem are hard to go without.

#3 11 years ago

I don't really feel comfortable mentioning who I bought it from, because it might seem like I am throwing them under the bus. The distributor did offer to swap out a playfield sight unseen at my own shipping expense, but that would be something like $300+ in shipping, and the playfield I get might not be any better. There is no way in hell I am paying for something I feel is Stern's fault, and for that same reason I don't feel the distributor should pay for it either.

Like I said in my original post, the distributor said they thought it was "one of the best windows they've seen", so they aren't willing to help with Stern either.

#4 11 years ago

I've had mine since November and no cracks. IMO you're not nitpicking. That would definitely bug me.

#5 11 years ago

Here is mine. It's a first run Premium. The one people complain about. A friend asked me to send some close ups and I saved them.
https://picasaweb.google.com/101901886865205452853/ACDCMiniPlayfiedCoatingPics?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJ7Y8dySi8SFbQ&feat=directlink

I have probably 500-1000 plays on it. Thats a WAG, but I've updated thje software a few times and don't check the play counter. It has some wear. I should tell you that mine is not bothersome. The game looks and plays fantastic. Would it be nice if it was clear? Sure, but it's no big deal in person playing the game.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

I .The distributor did offer to swap out a playfield sight unseen at my own shipping expense, but that would be something like $300+ in shipping, .

How the heck is shipping $300? I have had cars shipped cross country for $500. Sounds to me like someone is recovering some cost in trumped up shipping costs.

#7 11 years ago

Mine has cracks in the right horn. If people didn't mention cracks in the window, I wouldn't have seen it. They're really minor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about it, but I have learned to "accept it"

#8 11 years ago

I read a thread on another forum about a month ago where someone made a statement they heard the new ones with clear windows were having cracking issues.

That was basically the extent of it.

No-one else added anything else...it was just a comment by someone stating what they heard.

I have no idea how true this is or is not at this point.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Mine has cracks in the right horn. If people didn't mention cracks in the window, I wouldn't have seen it. They're really minor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy about it, but I have learned to "accept it"

What run was yours from? Mine was from February. How does it compare to mine?

#10 11 years ago

these little stress cracks happen in all playfield plastic parts. I see them all the time in inserts as well. I think they are from tiny air bubble in the plastic when it's formed. Even brand new inserts have them from time to time. Pinball playfields will never be completely perfect and flawless. and if you have one that is, playing on it will cause things to happen, if it's not micro stress cracks, it's could be ghosting, or ground in dirt spots, or wood edge wear or whatever. Personally I think that is minor and look how close you have to get to see it. The only reason it's standing out to you, is because of the way the lights reflect off the microcracks. Be happy your window is actually clear. i'd rather deal with micro cracks than major fogging or yellowing. I think it's a bad move on sterns part not to have made that window removable.

#11 11 years ago

I doubt that window is PET-G, it doesn't get stress cracks and is too soft and would sag in that application.
With PET-G you trade clarity for durability, that window is probably a polycarbonate trade name Lexan.
PET-G is a Polyethylene, you can fold it in half at room temp something you can't do with polycarbonate.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

these little stress cracks happen in all playfield plastic parts. I see them all the time in inserts as well. I think they are from tiny air bubble in the plastic when it's formed. Even brand new inserts have them from time to time. Pinball playfields will never be completely perfect and flawless. and if you have one that is, playing on it will cause things to happen, if it's not micro stress cracks, it's could be ghosting, or ground in dirt spots, or wood edge wear or whatever. Personally I think that is minor and look how close you have to get to see it. The only reason it's standing out to you, is because of the way the lights reflect off the microcracks. Be happy your window is actually clear. i'd rather deal with micro cracks than major fogging or yellowing. I think it's a bad move on sterns part not to have made that window removable.

You actually don't need to get close at all to see it. You can be standing several feet away from the machine and still see them. I'd rather have fogging than these cracks, much more distracting to me.

I agree not making it removable was a bad idea.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

What run was yours from? Mine was from February. How does it compare to mine?

Mine was built on September 26th.
I would say yours is a LOT worse than mine.

#14 11 years ago

It's not ideal but I've seen worse. These things aren't going to come out 100% perfect ever really. If you look long enough you could probably find some minor issue with every NIB.

#15 11 years ago

I'd like to get an AC/DC someday, but i'm kind of glad I don't have the room right now. We've been seeing all kinds of problems with this main window from day one. Nice to be able to see problems that develop down the road on this window. It's amazing how Black hole, haunted house, elektra, congo didn't have all these center window problems.

Yup, pinball is not the hobby if your anal retentive about everything, if you are, you can't play your own machines which really defeats the purpose of being a pinball collector in the first place. Just have to accept flaws and be able to look past them.

#16 11 years ago

Stern should have made these removable like CFTBL.

Not to mention, they could sell more parts.

#17 11 years ago

My LE was much, much worse than that. I have not seen a perfect one yet and I have seen about 15. They are hazy, scratched and foggy. They are always worse in the horns and corners. I agree that it sucks, but it is no worse than the hundreds of dimples we end up with in the play fields and the wear we get in the ramps and shooter lane. Just try to enjoy the game.

#18 11 years ago

CFTBL is another i never see problems with the window.

But when you start getting to the point where you become so anal that is you can't focus and enjoy a game anymore that has flaws, I think we start losing touch of what we were in pinball for in the first place. I find myself getting distracted even in tournament by a burnt out bulb or playfield wear. I start focusing on that more than my playing. It's hard not to, but at the same time, I realize that you start losing touch about the fun of pinball and just play to play. It's a game, it's suppose to be fun. Not an anal fest of flawless museum pieces.

btw, if anyone has problems with their Ac/DC windows where they can't enjoy the game anymore because the flaws bother them to much. I'll buy it off anyone for 5k.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

CFTBL is another i never see problems with the window.

CFTBL window isn't a permanent part of the playfield.

LTG : )

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

How the heck is shipping $300?

Agreed. I had a playfield shipped from Europe for $125. That seems excessive.

I guess the question now (since it's said to be normal). Is this something that will get worse over time like a car windshield?

#21 11 years ago

OK, not going to read though the posts. If my playfield shows any sort of stress at $6K+ you bet it is gonna be replaced. Or it will be my last Stern.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Hey guys,
I got my AC/DC about a month ago. Since then I've talked with both my distributer and Pat @ Stern. Pat tells me the issues I'm seeing with my playfield window are normal and to be expected, and my distributor tells me that my window is "one of the best he's seen".
I've personally seen three other AC/DC Premiums in person, and I've never seen any of these sorts of "stress cracks" in the window before. I know at least one other person had his playfield replaced that had this issue, but I was told by the distributor that it was not replaced because of those cracks.
So, I'm wondering, am I just nitpicking, and this sort of issue is common? Or do I have a honest gripe? I wouldn't care so much if it wasn't for the fact of how expensive these machines are, and that I've seen ones that don't have this problem.
Who here owns an AC/DC Premium and does/doesn't have this issue?
The pics don't make it look as visible as it is in person, but they at least give an idea of what it looks like...
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rMDLwOpKzq0/URv7T_EhONI/AAAAAAAABuM/EfjcOQYSu3g/s1300/DSCF2572.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-m32sG2Z22PE/URv7TcR5xeI/AAAAAAAABuA/Z0pftT5Sfok/s1300/DSCF2573.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-BOjJvaj6aW0/UT0KK1iDATI/AAAAAAAACUU/cVRrymUVHTI/s1300/29C9C24E-DFD1-4B7F-AECE-0383269195A1.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-KZHuk-JKk60/USz8Hd-W5PI/AAAAAAAACC0/PQrk6e-EXzs/s1300/9A9F90F4-E338-4D75-9F3E-79D98CC34E17.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-yhnee6nX_OY/USz8JDTXfQI/AAAAAAAACDA/D-MdXCT0WP0/s1300/7037E176-3692-4A6F-A86A-5FB60C073EA4.JPG
Other horn that looks perfect:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6nGK4YjTkGE/USzHpvmUI/AAAAAAAACDY/uqm78Es3Srs/s1300/8E29557A-0514-4A1F-A019-2DF1A0B69B9A.JPG

Have Stern replace it and move on.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

How the heck is shipping $300? I have had cars shipped cross country for $500. Sounds to me like someone is recovering some cost in trumped up shipping costs.

Sounds like the game has to back to distributor and then back to the owner of the game.

Not just a bare playfield.

#24 11 years ago

Agree with Spyder, at 6k+ Stern could and should fix your problem. The whole idea with nib is that you get to be the first one to screw it up They should find some way to make it right.

#25 11 years ago

Mine has small cracks on right horn also...... I can understand it would concern some people.
I guess I am to lazy to worry about it.
I hope they fix it for you.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from Spyder777:

Have Stern replace it and move on.

Did you not bother to read what I said? They won't replace it. They said it isn't a problem.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Sounds like the game has to back to distributor and then back to the owner of the game.
Not just a bare playfield.

No. The DISTRIBUTOR was going to "good will" it on their end, but I'd have to cover shipping playfields to/from them which they said would be around $150 each way. They would open up ONE new game, and no matter what the condition is, I'd have to accept it. No way I'm accepting that, as I already mentioned before.

#28 11 years ago

That sucks man, GL getting a resolution

#29 11 years ago

Stern sent a new BIB LE backglass to Australia for me as it was marked so contact them direct I think they will help, other guys in Australia have have new PF's sent also with mall marks.

Good luck.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Stern sent a new BIB LE backglass to Australia for me as it was marked so contact them direct I think they will help, other guys in Australia have have new PF's sent also with mall marks.
Good luck.

I did, I spoke with Pat several times.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Yup, pinball is not the hobby if your anal retentive about everything, if you are, you can't play your own machines which really defeats the purpose of being a pinball collector in the first place. Just have to accept flaws and be able to look past them.

+1

#32 11 years ago

flashburn, I'm wondering if you replaced the factory balls with brand new ones before you started playing your ACDC prem?

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

flashburn, I'm wondering if you replaced the factory balls with brand new ones before you started playing your ACDC prem?

Yes... unrelated. It had this issue when I unboxed it.

#34 11 years ago

Are these stress fractures or micro scratches?

I am curiuos what does this defect look like from the bottom of the same plastic piece?

Also how does the right horn area feel to touch.

I have a hard time looking past flaws. I usually hunt for machines with as few as possible. It is easier done with older titles then new ones.

This really concerns me. What are these going to look like in 15 years of play?

How many extra PF's is Stern going to make?

I know more questions than answers. I do not have the machine OP sorry.

#35 11 years ago

Personally I think many are making too big a deal with this window issue. I have seen very few that are perfect. They all seem to have some flaw or cloudiness to them. Yes, I have seen a couple that are worthy of complaints but most are not a big deal. This one doesn't look that bad to me either. If it bothers you this much I suggest grabbing a NOS playfield and holding onto it as backup or just sell the pin and miss out on one of Stern's best!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Are these stress fractures or micro scratches?
I am curiuos what does this defect look like from the bottom of the same plastic piece?
Also how does the right horn area feel to touch.
I have a hard time looking past flaws. I usually hunt for machines with as few as possible. It is easier done with older titles then new ones.
This really concerns me. What are these going to look like in 15 years of play?
How many extra PF's is Stern going to make?
I know more questions than answers. I do not have the machine OP sorry.

They are beneath the clearcoat. Definitely not scratches.

#37 11 years ago

Was this one of the reasons Stern shut down the February run?

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Was this one of the reasons the shut down the February run?

I wonder if some were even worse (and rejected) but Stern thought these were "good enough"?

#39 11 years ago

It's too bad these aren't LE's, as Stern doesn't want to shoot themselves in the foot with their LE owners.

Mine comes later this month....after my fiasco with AVLE NIB I'm really hoping for as close to perfection as Stern can muster. Otherwise I'm back to HUO with Sterns.

#40 11 years ago

Fingers crossed that on this next batch they get the window issues figured out (cause im gunna have mine in about 2 weeks)

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Spyder777:

OK, not going to read though the posts. If my playfield shows any sort of stress at $6K+ you bet it is gonna be replaced. Or it will be my last Stern.

It will be your last Stern more than likely. I already went a few rounds with Stern sbout the cloudy window and they aren't gonna replace them plain and simple. I'd also like to add that they almost never reply to any of my emails. I also sent a email straight to Gary that I'm sure got tossed in the recycle bin. The bottom line is Stern doesn't care what you think, just pay them your money for their very overpriced games and keep your mouth shut. I'm sure that's the motto over at Stern.

#42 11 years ago

I have to admit when I seen this post "cracks in the window" I was really expecting something ugly. I don't see the big issue. You took a couple of close up pics with a flash which highlights everything... take a deep breath and relax, this is not a big deal. Sure we would all like perfection but c'mon man! Like I said before if it bothers you this much buy a playfield to have as backup. I think this whole window issue has been blown so out of proportion... some of you guys must be in the media business?

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I have to admit when I seen this post "cracks in the window" I was really expecting something ugly. I don't see the big issue. You took a couple of close up pics with a flash which highlights everything... take a deep breath and relax, this is not a big deal. Sure we would all like perfection but c'mon man! Like I said before if it bothers you this much buy a playfield to have as backup. I think this whole window issue has been blown so out of proportion... some of you guys must be in the media business?

Yeah, I might just buy another playfield and keep around in a closet somewhere.

I took them close up and with a flash because that's the only way I can get them to capture on a camera. In person they are very noticeable. It's frustrating after spending so much money and having such an obvious visual flaw.

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Yeah, I might just buy another playfield and keep around in a closet somewhere.
I took them close up and with a flash because that's the only way I can get them to capture on a camera. In person they are very noticeable. It's frustrating after spending so much money and having such an obvious visual flaw.

Believe me its not that bad... its like that pimple you get on your nose. To you it looks 10x worse than it does to everyone else.

#45 11 years ago

September run 2012, never noticed any cracks but am to afraid now to do a good inspection

Only had a small dip in the Playfield were a stern worker dropped a tool I suspect. Not visible when playing, only when you look more close

#46 11 years ago

You see those stress checks all the time beneath the clear coat on plastic inserts. Even on brand new playfields.

The reason you don't see them on Haunted House is because the HH window is not clear coated.

I know, no one wants to hear someone say "It's nothing to worry about", but it really is nothing to worry about.

#47 11 years ago

The game has a CANNON!

Its purpose is to shoot steel balls directly into the surface of plastic windows, wood, inserts, metal posts, targets, anything on the playfield.

This is a great system to expedite damage.

A cannon is an item used in war to harm an enemy.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

Believe me its not that bad... its like that pimple you get on your nose. To you it looks 10x worse than it does to everyone else.

Well, maybe because I paid for this "pimple"?

I'll try not to worry about it anymore. I just hope Stern doesn't do another game with a lower playfield. Or if they do, it's at least removable.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

Well, maybe because I paid for this "pimple"?
I'll try not to worry about it anymore. I just hope Stern doesn't do another game with a lower playfield. Or if they do, it's at least removable.

I don't think its blown out of proportion if this came shipped that way, $6-7k for these new machines. If Stern wants to mark up their games twice as much in a 4 year period they better damn well beef up the quality also. I bought a 69' Camaro with a perfect body and frame with a good running 327 in it for 5 grand in 2004. I expect some quality
when I pay 7 grand for a nib game. A couple little non-noticeable flaws Is one thing. Overlooking glaring issues (cloudy windows, cracks in inserts or cleatcoat) during inspection is shoddy business. 2k more for a pinball machine than my car and the company selling it could care less about the quality or the customer. Jmo

#50 11 years ago

It was a design decision for Stern.

They could have made a window like Black Hole, Sexy girl or Genesis that needs to be continually and precisely adjusted to avoid air balls, or they could have made it an insert that is level with clear coat.

If they would have made it a replaceable window, people would be complaining that the screw heads were scratching their balls, they were getting air balls, or that the rubber O-rings were changing with the humidity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (Firm)
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-owners-do-you-have-cracks-in-your-window/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.