Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Arcade
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Obviously we don't know as much as we'd like with Avengers, but based on what we know right now, which pin would buy if you could only get one, and why?

And for those that have ACDC, where do you rank it all time and any pins you'd compare it to?

#2 11 years ago

Get the one that has the theme you like best. They both have similar drop targets and some cool toys and ramps.

#3 11 years ago

ACDC is a proven master piece. I will not buy another stern until the bugs are polished and the code is 90%+.

That said, I honestly think AV will be a hit. But if I had to choose one today; ACDC easy for reasons explained in my first sentence.

I think I have ACDC as my #2 pin, but having owned it and played it enough, I think I'm gonna drop it down to #3. Can't really think of a pin to compare it to ATM. Game is fast, fun. Gets a little repetitive at times. But it's a scoring strategy game rather than a story/mode based game.

#4 11 years ago

Impossible question given the lack of info on Avengers but I was waiting to see details on Avengers... did some investigating and reading on the other available NIB games. AC/DC Premium doesn't have many negative comments from anyone. That's what I went with in the end (it was delivered Tuesday). My wife scowled when she heard it was AC/DC but she's already got some favourite songs when starting the game. Gotta say this: it's beautiful. So many lights and colours... unbelievable. A ton of options when playing -targeting all the different areas of the PF, focusing on the areas of importance for max points, different ramps and loops...
I thought the cannon was ugly at first, but don't even notice it now -too focused on making the shot. and the cannon's a blast. Still, my fav "toy" is the bell. The train whistle when you hit the left ramp is also pretty cool. I'm really pleased with the purchase. Only exception is that I thought it would play faster. I need to wax the PF but I get the impression this game is all about making the finesse shots and taking your time to build the jackpot, so the slower gameplay is necessary.
Having said all that, I've been a pin-owner for about 48 hours now. Take this with a grain of salt.

#5 11 years ago

Can't yet speak intelligently about Avengers, but there is no question in my mind that AC/DC is one of the top 5 games of all time. It WILL go down in history that way. The game single-handedly redefined what a pinball machine could be out of the box. The sound system including a real sub and full songs create the best musical experience in pinball history. The lights with color changing inserts create the greatest light show in pinball history. The collection of toys are in the top 5 of any game in history. These include the bell, the cannon, the lower playfield and more. The artwork on the premiums and LE's is done beautifully. The game came out of the box and immediately made my Iron Man next to it look like a Zizzle (and I love IM).

Next, it is just fun to play. Visitors to my home play it 5 to 1 to any other game. This includes kids and adults. It's your decision, but you will not regret the day you purchase an AC/DC. You will regret the day you sell it.

#6 11 years ago

Known vs Unknown... can't see there being much choice yet as others have said.

#7 11 years ago

The only reason to buy Avengers now is if you love the theme and absolutely have to have it. It could very well be the best game ever but it could also be a turd. Know way of knowing.

AC/DC, however, is a fantastic game imo. Though it's too early for an all-time ranking, I think it's going to end up a modern classic similar to LOTR. It's just plain fun. I had 4 friends over the day I got it and they stayed until about 2 in the morning playing. Everybody lost track of time. I've never had that happen with any of my other games before. The ONLY reason I wouldn't recommend it is if you don't like the music. Otherwise, it has everything one could want in a pin: Lots of flow, great toys, deep rules, color changing lights, challenging lower playfield... Honestly, I can't say enough good things about this game.

#8 11 years ago

Theme is king, I love AC/DC grew up listening to them. Probably if this was the same game and was KISS I would not care for it much. I can tell you this much the shots are fun especially when you get a little flow going. Probably at the top played when I have guests and people seem to crowd it.

I do not care for the Avengers movie after watching it in theaters,home and in 3d and despite its amazing effects and action it does little for me story wise and I cannot get into it. I normally love everything Joss Whedon does but this one has a few good moments but one I wish I had not bought the blu-ray.

I say go with the theme that stands out for you and if you dont like AC/DC's music stay far away. Oh and one thing Avengers does not have, Steve Ritchie doing voice calls which I think are some of the best I have heard.

#10 11 years ago

I would go for AC/DC....sure bet

#11 11 years ago

I would wait until it comes out play Avengers if possible and if you love it go that route. I know AC/DC is super popular pinball machine and I have been a fan of AC/DC's music but am not the biggest fan of the pin for some reason. You can never tell until you get some decent play time on both which you prefer and that is why I highly suggest playing them and not just going off what others like/dislike.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

Known vs Unknown... can't see there being much choice yet as others have said.

Exactly. AC/DC Premium is magic...layout is quasi-familiar, but the rules aren't like anything else out there, the color changing inserts and GI are beautiful, and it's just FUUUUUUUUN.

Avengers look like it could have Monster Bash-esque rules...but no one knows yet. Premium won't be out till next year anyway so you can wait until the LEs and Pros are released and then make up your mind after seeing or playing it.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But it's a scoring strategy game rather than a story/mode based game.

This is why its not a top 10 game for me...

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I will not buy another stern until the bugs are polished and the code is 90%+.

I think this is the best approach. I purchased my AC/DC premium right after 1.6 was announced. It was already a solid game, but it was obvious from reading the change log that the update was going to be killer. If you have the patience, it always makes more sense to wait. The LE's are a different story. If you want to play, you've gotta pay. It's as simple as that.

#15 11 years ago

Apples & Oranges.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

The ONLY reason I wouldn't recommend it is if you don't like the music. Otherwise, it has everything one could want in a pin: Lots of flow, great toys, deep rules, color changing lights, challenging lower playfield... Honestly, I can't say enough good things about this game.

I am a huge ac/dc fan and will be buying a premium machine soon. I would say the only concern I have is that hearing the same songs over and over may get very repetitive.
Can someone who has owned the game for a while comment on this?

#17 11 years ago

AC/DC no question.

#18 11 years ago

Av pro

#19 11 years ago

If you buy ACDC Premium you can always sell it for what it's currently worth or more and buy an Avengers. The same cannot be said at the current time for Avengers.

When in doubt use standard deduction.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am a huge ac/dc fan and will be buying a premium machine soon. I would say the only concern I have is that hearing the same songs over and over may get very repetitive.

1.) Every pinball machine has a finite amount of songs that play over and over
2.) You're an AC/DC fan
3.) This game has 12 awesome FULL AC/DC songs (plus 1 live version of LTBR if you can get to Encore)

I don't see a problem.

#21 11 years ago

I've owned it since May 2012. Don't worry about the songs getting repetitive. Not an issue. Rock on!!

#22 11 years ago

Just wait 3 years for a Hobbit

#23 11 years ago

Imagine listening to random bits of acdc greatests hits in your car/truck and it never shuts off. Give it a try. See how long that lasts. Even acdc is sick of hearing acdc. Change the band/songs and it's a different pin. It's doable. As is, out of the box, prepare for buyers remorse imo. Unless 6k is a drop in the bucket and nothing else seems to be appealing. If you think you'll be sick of the songs you should spend a few days playing it before you buy it on a whim.

#24 11 years ago

I would say the only concern I have is that hearing the same songs over and over may get very repetitive.

I think it quite the opposite. It makes you want to hear more AC/DC.
It also makes you want to play the ball long enough to hear the whole song.
Easier said than done sometimes.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

Imagine listening to random bits of acdc greatests hits in your car/truck and it never shuts off. Give it a try. See how long that lasts. Even acdc is sick of hearing acdc. Change the band/songs and it's a different pin. It's doable. As is, out of the box, prepare for buyers remorse imo. Unless 6k is a drop in the bucket and nothing else seems to be appealing. If you think you'll be sick of the songs you should spend a few days playing it before you buy it on a whim.

Are there 12 different music tracks in most other pins? I love it when people use "the music will get repetitive" and thats why I dont like it. TZ music doesnt get repetitive? MB, MM?, name me one pinball machine that has 12 uniquely different sound tracks throughout the gameplay.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Are there 12 different music tracks in most other pins? I love it when people use "the music will get repetitive" and thats why I dont like it. TZ music doesnt get repetitive? MB, MM?, name me one pinball machine that has 12 uniquely different sound tracks throughout the gameplay.

IJ...one for each mode, plus the main theme, plus multiball tunes...

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

IJ...one for each mode, plus the main theme, plus multiball tunes...

Great game also.....Id still take ACDC over IJ any day of the week. I guess my point is if you play any game enough the music will get a big repetitive. If i'm going to have to listen to something over n over I'd rather it be some kick ass rock music as opposed to some of the other music you hear in other games. Plus whos to say there isnt more to come with live music for the 12 songs also. If thats the case I guess that will push its total to 24 tracks & it will have IJ beat.

#28 11 years ago

My wife scowled when she heard I was buying an AC/DC. Now she knows some of the songs, and bops along to the opening beat when she's playing.
I was a little concerned for the same reason but honestly, once you start focusing on the ball and targets, the music is only on in the background for me. Not to mention, AC/DC has some great beats so it keeps you pumped up and excited while you're playing.
No complaints here!

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Tommi_Gunn:

The music doesn't come off like this at all to me. Not even a little. It's not random bits of songs either. It's the whole song until you drain or finish the mode. For me the music is a big plus. The perfect compliment to pinball. Of course if you're sick of AC/DC already you probably shouldn't buy the pin.

#30 11 years ago

Since it plays full songs and not shorter, looping segments I find it to be less repetitive than most machines. If you're a huge fan I can't imagine it being an issue.

#31 11 years ago

Haven't had an issue yet but it isn't my only pin. I am not a huge fan of AC/DC either. I like them, but don't love them.

1 week later
#32 11 years ago

Now that I have my ACDC premium, and watched those 2 videos of Avengers, I have to say ACDC is looking like the MUCH better pin.

#33 11 years ago

I'm with you on that one. Saw the Avengers video this evening and I'm kinda shocked. Not much on there that looked overly impressive. I'd be surprised if it's a bomb, but will be interested to hear positive reviews on it once it's been delivered to homes.
AC/DC on the other hand, rocks.
One thing I've just found out today though is exactly how much difference it can make to ensure that it's leveled exactly as it should be. (I increased it to 7 degrees pitch)
Even the slightest left/right imbalance can throw off your game by having way more straight down the middle balls.

#34 11 years ago

Ill reserve judgement till I play Avengers at the Dallas show. But I agree, after watching the videos I'm sure glad I own an AC/DC.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
16,500 (Firm)
$ 12.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-or-avengers-premium and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.