Topic Stats

• 86 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chambahz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

images-2.jpeg

There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It can't be that common, first I've heard of the issue. Avengers yes, AC/DC, not once.

You must not read many AC/DC threads then. It is very common.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

You must not read many AC/DC threads then. It is very common.

Yes last few runs have seen this.. I think the size of either the sockets or the bulbs changed a bit. A tiny drop of super glue will solve that problem =)

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Yes last few runs have seen this.. I think the size of either the sockets or the bulbs changed a bit. A tiny drop of super glue will solve that problem =)

Yup. I haven't had any fall out but I have had a couple shake loose and go dark.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

In the immortal words of the Pindoc "It's fixed now but it's gonna do it again".
It is a box full of wires, switches and plastic mounted on wood getting bashed with a steel bearing.
What could go wrong?

So true...so true

#55 6 years ago

I spoke to Chaz at Stern this morning, we verified that the opto boards were getting power but obviously were not working properly. The optos show switch closures at trough #1 and trough jam, even with the balls out of the game.

They are going to ship out new opto boards, hopefully after a quick swap I'll be back up and running.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

hopefully after a quick swap I'll be back up and running.

Been waiting for a plunger assembly for Xmen 10 days now, Im just a few hours away too

#57 6 years ago

Does your 24 have the same trough boards? Maybe you can cannibalize until the replacements arrive?

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Does your 24 have the same trough boards? Maybe you can cannibalize until the replacements arrive?

That is an excellent idea. Just swap troughs temporarily.

#59 6 years ago

Or permanently. 24 is probably more fun without balls anyway

Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Just swap troughs temporarily.

#60 6 years ago

Sorry to hear Riggy, you are welcome to play my poor man's pro until yours is fixed.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from ButtonMash:

I don't get it...if you have ever read pinside at all, then this would be *exactly* the NIB experience you expected. It boggles my mind why people a) buy NIB, and b) buy NIB expecting everything to be great. Really if you want a perfect pin, buy *someone else's* formerly NIB pin that they have already fixed all the problems to....and you're getting it cheaper too!

You save money most of the time that way if you buy it quickly after release.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Shooting the center VUK 30 times in a row to get to river class VI is more fun than playing, say AC/DC? Hmmmmmm......

I guess you've seen this then
http://funwithbonus.com/ermahgerd-acdc-hax/

#63 6 years ago

Haha, that's awesome. I hope that got fixed in the next rev.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from freakandgeek:

Clearly you have never owned a White Water...an all time top 5 machine -- and incredibly well built like many a machine from that time period. Mine has not been shopped in over ten years and it still plays great and fast.
- Kevin

lol!

I owned a Wh20. I probably had as many, or more problems with that pin than any pin that I've owned.

And not shopping a game for 10 years is beyond ridiculous...even if you never played it.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Yeah, I checked connectors last night. One was a little loose in the head. Everything underneath looked good.
I did reseat the two trough board connectors, along with the Z connector from the trough, the phantom switch closures came right back, so it has to be the opto boards.

Had this issue with Tron after I installed a shaker. Stern support was excellent. New Optos boards. Thats pinball.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

In the immortal words of the Pindoc "It's fixed now but it's gonna do it again".
It is a box full of wires, switches and plastic mounted on wood getting bashed with a steel bearing.What could go wrong?

Hahahaha!

#67 6 years ago

Is it normal for the Cannon to keep swinging back and forth after it fires about 3-4 times or do I have a problem?

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from JFK:

Is it normal for the Cannon to keep swinging back and forth after it fires about 3-4 times or do I have a problem?

It might be hitting the plastic, try it with the glass off and keep a close eye on it.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from flashburn:

It might be hitting the plastic, try it with the glass off and keep a close eye on it.

I think it's more of a program issue since it doesn't keep swinging all the time. Sometimes I will fire it and it returns and stops but most of the time it swings back and forth 3-4 times after it fires then stops! Seems like it keeps reading there is a ball in it?

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

I figured out the problem with the help of my distributor, PinballMike217 (who is a GREAT guy, btw).
It seems that the trough opto boards are bad. With the balls out, the games still shows trough #1 and trough jam (both controlled by the opto boards) are active. Sounds like they were on their way out, last night when the issue started, and now it's full blown crazytown.
No worries, I'll call Stern customer support in a bit after they open. It's only pinball, can't get too worked up about it.

Have you tried pulling the two opto boards and reflowing the solder around the optos and the connectors to the board?

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

I spoke to Chaz at Stern this morning, we verified that the opto boards were getting power but obviously were not working properly. The optos show switch closures at trough #1 and trough jam, even with the balls out of the game.
They are going to ship out new opto boards, hopefully after a quick swap I'll be back up and running.

You can also swap the opto board with your 24 if you want to be back up and running right now and have 24 be the one that's down. 99% of the time you can fix these by reflowing the solder though.

#72 6 years ago

A buddy of mine did that for me tonight, as I'm still not that comfortable with a soldering iron. As soon as I get home from work I'm going to pop them back in and give it a try.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

lol!
I owned a Wh20. I probably had as many, or more problems with that pin than any pin that I've owned.
And not shopping a game for 10 years is beyond ridiculous...even if you never played it.

I have never really shopped out (stripped playfield, cleaned everything) the Earthaker I purchased more than 10 years as my first pin. I am a bad, bad boy. I have tuned it up, replaced most (doh!) of the rubbers, and fixed a few things as needed. But it still has a decent amount of legit route grime

#74 6 years ago

Update - I found out that it is not the opto boards. I removed the trough assembly from ACDC and swapped it with the one from 24. Same exact thing happens, and the ACDC trough optos work flawless in 24. I checked all the conmectors in the head and under playfield again, didn't find anything amiss. The only notable thing to add is that the ball 1 and trough jam errors are constantly on, unless I disconnect the opto receiver. The transmitter board gets no glow. The receiver board, however, has a faint glow from one of the optos, which I was under the impression that those should not glow at all. It behaved this way before the trough swap as well.

#75 6 years ago

After checking a few more things earlier with the help of PinballMike217, we are pretty sure it's something on one of the boards (most likely the CPU) has gone haywire. May take a little longer to get the game up and running, but hopefully by next weekend I'll be back in business.

#76 6 years ago

I can't Remember if 24 is SAM if it is, you could swap the board and update the software to confirm.

IO Board should be the same as well.. But 24 won't have the extra 8 way driver board that AC/DC has

#77 6 years ago

The idea of doing that came up, but that's getting to be a little bit out of my comfort range, considering I'd have to pull and swap ROMS as well. I'd rather wait a few days and see what Chaz at Stern comes up with first.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

If he has a premium he doesn't have the shaker

??? you can get the premium with a shaker....

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

I can't Remember if 24 is SAM if it is, you could swap the board and update the software to confirm.

IO Board should be the same as well.. But 24 won't have the extra 8 way driver board that AC/DC has

Its sam but neither will work in anything past tron.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It can't be that common, first I've heard of the issue. Avengers yes, AC/DC, not once.

Nah, LED's in both Avengers and AC/DC have fallen out - especially upon first setup... No big deal. Does not effect game play. Just an initial nuisance that is par for the course.

#81 6 years ago

IIRC the SAM board on AC/DC has an extra memory chip for all the songs, so is not backwards compatible with 24.

#82 6 years ago

You may want to put in switch test and DISCONNECT coin door wires and check cannon fire switch on end rail for shorts . I just had one NIB that had similar issue and a solder glob was shorting switch line to endrail on the cannon switch.

#83 6 years ago

Update: It was a broken ground wire on one of the connectors! What a PITA it was to track down, but the game is back up and running once again.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Update: It was a broken ground wire on one of the connectors! What a PITA it was to track down, but the game is back up and running once again.

congrats man! Enjoy

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

I knew it .. Glad you got it running

#86 6 years ago

So it's been 3 days.
How are you enjoying having your butt kicked?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside