• 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Chambahz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images-2.jpeg
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Just unboxed my ACDC tonight after picking it up last week. This is from the latest run. Besides one of the lower playfield eyes not working right (bulb issue not displaying proper colors) the game is now unplayable after 4 hours.

On our last game, we had three players. During player twos turn, the game just abruptly ended his turn mid-game. No tilt, no warning, no nothing. Player three steps up and starts playing, during his turn his flippers die. No power at all. This is all on ball 2. We all play ball 3 with no issues.

At this time, my two friends decide it's time to pack it in for the night and leave. A few mins later, I go to play one last game for the night. I hit start, game says SEARCHING FOR BALLS and starts a ball search. I look all over for a ball, don't see one. Lift the playfield up, all four balls are in the trough. Take them all out, go into switch test, drop them in one at a time, all register as they go. Appears normal. Hit start again, BALL SEARCH!!! WTF!!!

I take a ball out, the game starts! Kill the game, turn it back on, add just ONE ball into the trough, hit start, the game STARTS!!! I add the rest of the balls in the trough, it keeps kicking balls into the shooter lane.

Not exactly the first NIB experience I was hoping for. I know Stern is good about customer service and correcting issues, so I'm not worried, but what a crappy way to end the night.

#2 11 years ago

That does suck . Sorry for your bad luck. It will be fixed before long

#3 11 years ago

Ooooo , that is awful ... I wondered if I Could buy all new machines for my route it would alow me to leave for a " vacation " and not have to worry about games being broke , guess not .. That sucks .. Sorry about the game . I do like ac/ dc

#4 11 years ago

Try reseating the plug to the shooter lane switches.

#5 11 years ago

When you unboxed it and set it up did you check all your connections in the backbox and under the playfield? It's always good to do a once over when you unbox a game many things can shake loose in transit.

#6 11 years ago

my friend has exact problem on his game after only 80 or so plays ball search at power on or ends ball during play flippers die, I open it up trough switches register so do optos but after looking real close 2 of the trough switches are a hair lower than the very last one. I took off the front bracket holding the switches in place and use switch adjuster bend just a little higher the two that are low and put bracket on 20 games later problem gone. This was happening on every game once it started, I am guessing when shaker motor goes off it is enough to make balls come off switch enough in trough confusing game thus ending ball in play so far so good try that.

#7 11 years ago

I don't get it...if you have ever read pinside at all, then this would be *exactly* the NIB experience you expected. It boggles my mind why people a) buy NIB, and b) buy NIB expecting everything to be great. Really if you want a perfect pin, buy *someone else's* formerly NIB pin that they have already fixed all the problems to....and you're getting it cheaper too!

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from ButtonMash:

I don't get it...if you have ever read pinside at all, then this would be *exactly* the NIB experience you expected. It boggles my mind why people a) buy NIB

It boggles my mind that people pay 3-4k for a 20 year old ''cleaned up'' Whitewater, and other 20 year old bally/Williams pins. Nib, brand new is the best value in pinball if shopping in that price range.

#9 11 years ago

So you spend $6-$7K on something brand new and you've got to fix it before you can use it?

#10 11 years ago

Reseat connectors my targets needed it that shaker is viscous hope it all works out.

#11 11 years ago

Reseat the ball trough connectors as suggested.

They often vibrate loose from the shaker.

My TNT connector has also come loose a couple of times.

rd.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Reseat the ball trough connectors as suggested.
They often vibrate loose from the shaker.
My TNT connector has also come loose a couple of times.
rd.

If he has a premium he doesn't have the shaker

#13 11 years ago

Please go to Poll:Stern Quality post and cast your vote

#14 11 years ago

Yeah, I was there at the "unboxing". I left right before the issue happened. :/ No shaker on this one AFAIK.

#15 11 years ago

Poor. Get hold of Stern.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

It boggles my mind that people pay 3-4k for a 20 year old ''cleaned up'' Whitewater, and other 20 year old bally/Williams pins. Nib, brand new is the best value in pinball if shopping in that price range.

Best value? By what measure? By paying double or triple of the cost per game, for often unfinished "hope and pray it gets better" code, then still having to fix a bunch of stuff yourself?

If a person is stupid enough to drop $4K on a completely blown out whitewater, then that is their fault. But paying ~3-4K for a used but fixed up Whitewater seems like a much better value than say Avengers at this point.

IF you are in the camp where you are running out of space faster than you are running out of money (like many, possibly most pinheands) then it simply comes down to what game you like better. Value becomes irrelevant.

#17 11 years ago

One of the BIBLEs did the same thing when it was new and it was a wire on one of the IDC connectors , it was broke in half right at the connector . I had to fix a few issues and the game has been pretty much bullet proof for 3K games played !

It will work out for you .

Jim

#18 11 years ago

First of all that sucks. But the difference is you have full support. It's a huge difference. It will get fixed and you will have the greatest game.

#19 11 years ago

I figured out the problem with the help of my distributor, PinballMike217 (who is a GREAT guy, btw).

It seems that the trough opto boards are bad. With the balls out, the games still shows trough #1 and trough jam (both controlled by the opto boards) are active. Sounds like they were on their way out, last night when the issue started, and now it's full blown crazytown.

No worries, I'll call Stern customer support in a bit after they open. It's only pinball, can't get too worked up about it.

#20 11 years ago

While it sucks to have these issues with a brand new game, I know they will all be fixed and you will have an awesome game. This is why I am confidently keeping my preorder for next months premium run

#21 11 years ago

The connectors are sometimes loose from the shipping and possibly never having been seated properly. One thing every NIB pin buyer is supposed to do when they receive them is to check all the connections to make sure they are fully seated. It is in the Stern Instructional Series done by Pat Powers on youtube.

#22 11 years ago

Yeah, I checked connectors last night. One was a little loose in the head. Everything underneath looked good.

I did reseat the two trough board connectors, along with the Z connector from the trough, the phantom switch closures came right back, so it has to be the opto boards.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from NEW-B:

While it sucks to have these issues with a brand new game, I know they will all be fixed and you will have an awesome game. This is why I am confidently keeping my preorder for next months premium run

+1 on th march run for me also... hope I have no issues, but buying a used "dialed in machine" isn't an option you'll likely pay a nearly nib price and more for shipping... If a guy wants an ac/dc premium just have to suck it up and by new and hope for a good 1.
I am actually encouraged that Stern halted the Feb run it means they saw a problem and reacted.

#24 11 years ago

Check the wires that go into the idc @ the Z connector .

#25 11 years ago

I've bought three nib pins: avatar, wolverine and tron. all three have required "tweaks"; for the money they cost they should be tweak free right out of the box. if I buy a Harley sportster my expectation is that I won't have to true the rims or balance a tire. if I buy a new fridge I'm not planning on doing anything but plugging it in.
I can deal with the tweaks; what I won't tolerate is unfinished code. I am done buying nib until stern fixes the code on Wolverine; I have a $7000 machine folded up in my bedroom while we play tron and avatar among others.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Yeah, I checked connectors last night. One was a little loose in the head. Everything underneath looked good.
I did reseat the two trough board connectors, along with the Z connector from the trough, the phantom switch closures came right back, so it has to be the opto boards.

I can attest to that. We went over the entire pin and checked all connectors before it was even plugged in.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is in the Stern Instructional Series done by Pat Powers on youtube.

Thanks for posting this...did not realize this series existed. Helpful for me as a newbie.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I have a $7000 machine folded up in my bedroom while we play tron and Avatar among others.

No offense bruthaman but, PLAY IT! It's a fantastic game. ENJOY! (New code should be out in the next week so start re-gaining your XM legs, hehe)

#29 11 years ago

It's not just Stern.
I own an arcade and buy lots of new machines. None of them work perfectly when I unpacked them. And these are from the biggest names in arcade games, "Benchmark, ICE, Baytek, Sega and many more. They all need tweaking. I have just come to expect it.

#30 11 years ago

man I hope you are right. I'll wait semi patiently. I have room for 6 pins and wolverine is number 7...

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Best value? By what measure? By paying double or triple of the cost per game, for often unfinished "hope and pray it gets better" code, then still having to fix a bunch of stuff yourself?

You have to be smart about which nib to buy- It can be a crap shoot. I personally will never chase 20 yr old B title pins from 5 years ago, that all of a sudden are A+ pricing with new rubber and leds. A lot are old, been there, done that and played to death, but they all of a sudden are priced in the same ball park as a new Stern Pro with zero plays.

The thing that many people don't think about, is that if a TAF with a production run of 20,000 produced (and pretty much insert any B/W from back in the day) all have significant production numbers over Stern pins, and command what they have been, what will the last decade of Sterns command 10, 15, 20 years from now? What will the cost really be of Iron Man then, speculated to be around 1,000 units, the Trons, LOTR and one of the greatest machines ever made, SM....It will be very interesting to see.

#32 11 years ago

I'm shocked

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Clearly you have never owned a White Water...an all time top 5 machine -- and incredibly well built like many a machine from that time period. Mine has not been shopped in over ten years and it still plays great and fast.

- Kevin

#34 11 years ago

an all time top 5 machine

Surely you cant be serious?

images-2.jpegimages-2.jpeg

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Dead serious...and don't call him Shirley.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

Dead serious...and don't call him Shirley.

+1000

#37 11 years ago

Looks like i picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue.

#38 11 years ago

That really sucks to hear. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon. Have to say that some of these issues have held me back from getting one. I've been on the fence about an Avengers or AC/DC for awhile now, but I think I'm going to continue waiting and see how the next batch turns out.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Yep...my patented ranking system right now is showing a top five of:

White Water
Shadow
Twilight Zone
Creature
BS Dracula

Owned hundreds of machines the past 15 years...these are the ones that I still go back to and don't tire of owning (or missed and brought back to the fold).

#40 11 years ago

A very common issue with AC/DC is the LEDs popping out. If one rolls down the PF and into the ball trough, it can block the balls from flowing through properly. Check to see if any of your LEDs are missing (under the lower slingshots and the 3 above/behind the lightning bolts).
If that's the case, it's an easy fix.
Good luck!

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

A very common issue with AC/DC is the LEDs popping out. If one rolls down the PF and into the ball trough, it can block the balls from flowing through properly. Check to see if any of your LEDs are missing (under the lower slingshots and the 3 above/behind the lightning bolts).
If that's the case, it's an easy fix.
Good luck!

Also behind the T.N.T targets

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I would rather have a beat to shit WH20 than any of the genaric crap Gary Stern puts out. Whitewater is a beautiful game with hand drawn artwork not a photochopped collage of pics on a rehashed fan layout which is not much different than the last Stern pin or the one that will come after.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I would rather have a beat to shit WH20 than any of the genaric crap Gary Stern puts out. Whitewater is a beautiful game with hand drawn artwork not a photochopped collage of pics on a rehashed fan layout which is not much different than the last Stern pin or the one that will come after.

Shooting the center VUK 30 times in a row to get to river class VI is more fun than playing, say AC/DC? Hmmmmmm......

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Shooting the center VUK 30 times in a row to get to river class VI is more fun than playing, say AC/DC? Hmmmmmm......

Well if you play it like a douche you won't have fun

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Everyone has there own preference, which is a good thing. I actually sold my restored wh2o to get an AC/DC LOL. I agree that Stern needs to up there quality control, but in my opinion AC/DC is way more fun than WH2O

#46 11 years ago

I just had an issue on my ACDC premium(last years with a few hundred plays) where the ball would get hung up in the trough on one of the rollover switches.

#47 11 years ago

Another thread sure to be ruined by ga ga goo goo baby brand name fighting. Same shit diff'rent day.

#48 11 years ago

In the immortal words of the Pindoc "It's fixed now but it's gonna do it again".

It is a box full of wires, switches and plastic mounted on wood getting bashed with a steel bearing.
What could go wrong?

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

I've bought three nib pins: Avatar, wolverine and tron. all three have required "tweaks"; for the money they cost they should be tweak free right out of the box. if I buy a Harley sportster my expectation is that I won't have to true the rims or balance a tire. if I buy a new fridge I'm not planning on doing anything but plugging it in.
I can deal with the tweaks; what I won't tolerate is unfinished code. I am done buying nib until stern fixes the code on Wolverine; I have a $7000 machine folded up in my bedroom while we play tron and Avatar among others.

If you buy a Harley, it gets dealer prep'd, which includes identifying everything that shook loose or got dinged up or was broken from the factory to begin with. The charge is often negotiable but one way or another you're paying.

#50 11 years ago

It can't be that common, first I've heard of the issue. Avengers yes, AC/DC, not once.

Quoted from Chambahz:

A very common issue with AC/DC is the LEDs popping out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

16,500 (Firm)
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 86 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-premium-nib-broken-after-4-hours/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.